• A non championship event

Votes: 16 8.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
not seeing that
not at all.
Okay, now maybe i'm confused. If i remember correctly they have been testing this a while ago. Maybe in another Formula? But the difference was substantial. To put it this way: They have been testing with a spray reducing technique earlier than this and that was quite successful. Not sure it was these wheel-caps though. But i do think so.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Okay, now maybe i'm confused. If i remember correctly they have been testing this a while ago. Maybe in another Formula? But the difference was substantial. To put it this way: They have been testing with a spray reducing technique earlier than this and that was quite successful. Not sure it was these wheel-caps though. But i do think so.
Mercedes trialed the first prototype of these mudflaps at Silverstone last year and they were a complete failure.

The ones Ferrari are using here are two different versions that are an evolution of the previous concept - the entire idea is that they allow them to race in heavier rain conditions but if they end up being full enclosures then pit stops are definitely going to be interesting to see them taking these things off or putting them on to get to the tyres.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
You'd hope the smaller cars for 2026 would kick up much less spray. I suspect the tyres, at least at the front, might be a smaller too?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Mercedes trialed the first prototype of these mudflaps at Silverstone last year and they were a complete failure.

The ones Ferrari are using here are two different versions that are an evolution of the previous concept - the entire idea is that they allow them to race in heavier rain conditions but if they end up being full enclosures then pit stops are definitely going to be interesting to see them taking these things off or putting them on to get to the tyres.
Hmn, not sure what i had in mind then. Thanks.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Ferrari updates....Lewis salivating

SF-24-EVO.jpg

comp-1.jpg

comp-2.jpg

Hope they work!

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
My car looks fantastic and drives like a dream. Not THIS car of course, the one I'm in next year. This one is shite.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
it's pretty crazy how much Ferrari has turned things around since the Seb days. I didn't think they would ever get back to the front. At least not without some help.

Theres apparently a rumor going around that Red Bull had to turn the power down at Miami. Some are saying its because of the Brembo brake assembly? Not sure why brake cooling problems would lead to turning the power down.

Last edited:

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
As a Hamilton fan and increasingly ex-Mercedes fan it's funny how each week I don't even pay attention to what upgrades Mercedes are bringing as I have little hope they will do anything significant, and instead I'm looking at Ferrari and nodding along like that sicko meme

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Oh that guy taking notes in the wind tunnel? That's our head Chef Adrian Newey he can cook a mean steak!

beebop

May 30, 2023
Potentially got tickets to the Ferrari garage / pit for Monaco. 🙏
I've not done Monaco but it's a great experience in the paddock. I've been hosted by Red Bull a couple of times more recently through work taking customers, and Renault (pre-Alpine) once. I would say, though, that the BTCC corporate hospitality was a lot more fun just because of the ridiculous access you get (and free bar!) - one of the drivers took us round the track for a lap.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Discussion point. Magnussen has 300 days before he loses any of his 10 penalty points, and 12 gets you a race ban. He collected all 10 in under 2 months.

So which race will he miss?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Spain.

He'll behave at Imola, Monaco its hard to be a real dick (but also easy to hold people up without a penalty), so Canada is the first opportunity IMO to pick up points.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Spain.

He'll behave at Imola, Monaco its hard to be a real dick (but also easy to hold people up without a penalty), so Canada is the first opportunity IMO to pick up points.
Funnily enough that's exactly my thoughts. At Imola there's a couple of overtaking spots that'd be heard to defend against, Monaco he'll just be able to drive down the middle of the track without fear so Canada is the first one with sections you can really take the piss with.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Discussion point. Magnussen has 300 days before he loses any of his 10 penalty points, and 12 gets you a race ban. He collected all 10 in under 2 months.

So which race will he miss?
The latest rumors suggest that Haas are looking for a replacement for 2025, so the question is if he's even going to bother with the holdup tactics anymore. Not that I think that he'll turn into a pushover, but I expect him to be far less aggressive if Nico is in front again.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there's a contractual wording error i.e. he gets performance bonuses based on accruing points...and it doesn't distinguish between penalty and championship!?

I don't think he will get a ban unless he does something really egregious. The stewards quite often take into account the wider effects of their decisions, even though they say they don't. So if he lets the dust settle for a few races then he can probably get away with doing something that would get another driver points...ironically.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe there's a contractual wording error i.e. he gets performance bonuses based on accruing points...and it doesn't distinguish between penalty and championship!?

I don't think he will get a ban unless he does something really egregious. The stewards quite often take into account the wider effects of their decisions, even though they say they don't. So if he lets the dust settle for a few races then he can probably get away with doing something that would get another driver points...ironically.
12 points in an automatic 1 race ban I think. There is no way he can go another 300 days now and not get 2 points, despite him getting none at all in 2023!

It's be kind of funny of he gets replaced with Grosjean
It'll be Bearman I assume since he's almost certainly in the car next year anyway.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
12 points in an automatic 1 race ban I think. There is no way he can go another 300 days now and not get 2 points, despite him getting none at all in 2023!

Yeah - I agree that it's very likely he has an incident where he *should* get points...but I don't know if the stewards will be brave/annoyed enough to give them out. If he does more wacky races moves then I think they will, but if it's a 50:50(ish) scenario where they might give points or might not, and it's a few more months into the season, I think they will back down and not give them.

So I guess all I'm trying to say is that the odds might be a little more in his favour than we first think.

He will probably get a ban though!

I just did some reading and I hadn't realised the system only came in 10 years ago, and no driver has ever got a race ban from it to date. Some interesting info on the page below.

Kmag has a real chance to make it into the history books! (and maybe even a pub quiz in a few years time).

f1.fandom.com

Penalty Points

The Super Licence penalty points system is a method of accruing punishments from incidents in Formula One introduced for the 2014 season. Each Super Licence, which is required to compete in F1, has a maximum of twelve points that can be accrued before action is undertaken on the driver. Points...

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I meant magnussen though, Nico is already going to sauber next year. Is there a chance Kevin gets the boot if he keeps racking up penalties like this?
Oh you meant long term. I only meant for whatever race KMag gets banned for.

No idea what Haas will do to replace them both for next year. Crashjean won't be back though.

If we assume Bearman gets the rookie seat they'll want someone reliable for the main seat, could see it being Bottas.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The latest rumors suggest that Haas are looking for a replacement for 2025, so the question is if he's even going to bother with the holdup tactics anymore. Not that I think that he'll turn into a pushover, but I expect him to be far less aggressive if Nico is in front again.
I don't doubt this is going to be Magnussen's last season in F1. He was fortunate to get a few more thanks to Mazefail but he's not performing at a level where even the lowest teams would see something worth having when there's countless other options available to them, especially when he's a salaried driver.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bottas is an obvious pick as a safe pair of fast(ish) hands...but would Gene be up for more memes and comedy in his team? He doesn't seem like a huge fan of self-deprecating humour (at his own name and teams expense).

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
2 more from Merc join ferrari:

Loic Serra and Jerome d’Ambrosio join Scuderia Ferrari HP

Scuderia Ferrari HP is pleased to announce it is further strengthening the team with the arrival of Loic Serra and Jerome d’Ambrosio, both coming from the Mercedes AMG F1 team.
Wasn't it already known last year that Serra was joining Ferrari?

I guess the loss of D'ambrosio isn't too bad in the scheme of things given that he's not been long in the role. Took me a while to realise where I recognised the name, I'd forgotten he was an F1 driver!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
it's pretty crazy how much Ferrari has turned things around since the Seb days. I didn't think they would ever get back to the front. At least not without some help.

What happened to the SF-15, SF-16, SF-70, SF-71, SF-90, SF-21, F1-75.......or do we only count the SF-1000 as the Seb days?

Mercedes getting things completely wrong is probably making Ferrari seem to be in a much better position.
But theyve been a 3rd-4th place team for a while.
And yeah me thinks they are gonna be 3rd again this year.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
when your key breakthrough is not an actual upgrade but maybe realising why your previous upgrades weren't working and then you stil have to make new upgrades and hope your breakthrough was correct this time