• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The 2023 OT title will be...

• FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| We Race As One*

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| Saudiss is how democracy dies

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| Ground Effect Your Expectations

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| Bono my tyres are bombs

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| Catering to Every Budget

Votes: 42 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
A few drivers probably have good reason to dislike Ocon, primarily his current and former teammates I would think. But Alonso has done much worse than defend aggressively against his own teammate in the past. And Checo pushed him into the wall, so…

lets just stop using wors like "cunt" here..

Genuine question, did you have a problem with it before?

Dec 4, 2017
I suspect alot of this has to do with Alonso as ocon though. I guess we will find out!
It's exactly the same story with every teammate he had. Him and Gasly were actually close friends back in the beginning of their karting careers, but Ocon eventually got jealous that Gasly was doing slightly better than him in the rankings, and started trying to crash him out.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It's exactly the same story with every teammate he had. Him and Gasly were actually close friends back in the beginning of their karting careers, but Ocon eventually got jealous that Gasly was doing slightly better than him in the rankings, and started trying to crash him out.

There is probably something telling about Lance Stroll seemingly being Ocons only friend in the paddock.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah. I just don't want to read discussions here that have words like cunt etc in them.

Edit: no problem with calling people cunt but using it in a thread that doesn't discuss the matter why they are counts.

This is certainly not the first instance, and I've not seen any complaints.

Doesn't really add up either, because you said you knew he was a tory, but are now saying that I didn't discuss the matter of why I called him a cunt 😬

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I think the 2022 cars are just inherently too far from Ricciardo's style and preference, but it's tough to argue that McLaren seemed to be a bad fit car-wise beyond that.

Oct 28, 2017
This so much. Ric in 2020 finished 5th just 6 points behind Perez who had that victory in the eventful Bahrain race. Higher in rankings than Leclerc, Sainz, Norris and Albon (RB no2).
I really hope he goes to Alpine and manages to show his potential once again.

Daniel should have never left Renault and to this day I still don't understand why he did.
They were building the team up around him and he had just achieved the best result that the team has ever got since returning in 2016 and started getting podiums.

He said he didn't feel the car was good enough, but when you say that about the 5th in the constructors and then go to the team that just got 6th place, something doesn't add up. McLaren weren't any better at fighting for podiums that Renault at that point, on the contrary. I guess he is just the kind of guy that's quick to find something new if he doesn't feel things work out for him and believed in the faery tales Zak Brown told him.

Dec 4, 2017
Daniel should have never left Renault and to this day I still don't understand why he did.
They were building the team up around him and he had just achieved the best result that the team has ever got since returning in 2016 and started getting podiums.

He said he didn't feel the car was good enough, but when you say that about the 5th in the constructors and then go to the team that just got 6th place, something doesn't add up. McLaren weren't any better at fighting for podiums that Renault at that point, on the contrary. I guess he is just the kind of guy that's quick to find something new if he doesn't feel things work out for him and believed in the faery tales Zak Brown told him.
Renault are lazy cheapskates. They don't even want to spend their allotted budget on developing the car, nevermind putting in the elbow grease to improve the finer details. Alonso called out Rossi over this, which led to Rossi trying to arrange his sacking.
Renault should be mixing it up with the other works teams (and RB, which sort of is one), instead of slumming it out with the likes of AT and McLaren.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This so much. Ric in 2020 finished 5th just 6 points behind Perez who had that victory in the eventful Bahrain race. Higher in rankings than Leclerc, Sainz, Norris and Albon (RB no2).
I really hope he goes to Alpine and manages to show his potential once again.
Same. A rejuvenated Danny would be a really exciting storyline to have.

Oct 28, 2017
Renault are lazy cheapskates. They don't even want to spend their allotted budget on developing the car, nevermind putting in the elbow grease to improve the finer details. Alonso called out Rossi over this, which led to Rossi trying to arrange his sacking.
Renault should be mixing it up with the other works teams (and RB, which sort of is one), instead of slumming it out with the likes of AT and McLaren.

I would always take what Alonso had to say with a grain of salt. Renault never had the huge budgets of Ferrari, RB and Mercedes, but I wouldn't call them cheap. Their budgets were pretty much on par with McLaren before the cap. They haven't always been great at getting that budget to work for them though, I'll agree with that, but I think it's unrealistic to expect them to compete for P1 regularly like it's the mid 2000's.

Even with the cap it's clear there is a few teams that are just going attract the highest talent and have the best organisation for winning races. I don't think Alpine has a chance to become more than a high midfield team, unfortunately. The organisation just isn't there. McLaren is the only team outside the big 3, that I think could realistically be part of a championship fight in the next couple of years. But for Ric I think it could be a good fit, since he probably gets to be number 1 driver again, which is clearly the role he always wants and feels the most comfortable in.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is certainly not the first instance, and I've not seen any complaints.

Doesn't really add up either, because you said you knew he was a tory, but are now saying that I didn't discuss the matter of why I called him a cunt 😬
I didn't know he was a tory.
Both words didn't add anything to the discussion.

Anyways: when can we expect the official announcements for Riccardo and Piastri?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
According to Kravitz, Mercedes consider Alonso for Lewis replacement if he retires after 2023 lol.

Honestly I think they would only take him to have him badly beaten by Russell as a revenge lol

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
According to Kravitz, Mercedes consider Alonso for Lewis replacement if he retires after 2023 lol.

Honestly I think they would only take him to have him badly beaten by Russell as a revenge lol

Tbh Alonso would actually be a pretty incredible fit with Russell if he accepted the 2nd driver role (which he claimed he'd be fine with as long as he is in a top team). Don't think Alonso would get badly beaten at all, he is still fast and his racecraft is still absolutely top tier. I think he'd do far better than Schumacher did in Mercedes when he had Rosberg as his teammate.

Also, while I'm sure there are still some salty Mercedes higher ups for the spygate shit, but I heard rumours that Mercedes had to give the green light for Alonso's move to Aston because of the mercedes engine, so it cant be THAT bad. Remember that Honda actually blocked Alonso's indy500 entry because he talked too much shit about them lol.

However, I'm very much doubtful that Hamilton is retiring any time soon. It'd probably have happened if he won his 8th but he'll try a few more times I reckon. Alonso has isnane longevity but surely at some point in the next few years he's gonna call it a day. Surely...

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
What deflecting of responsibility or hypocrisy?

Safety is literally the FIA's job, and literally not the team's job, because everyone knows, understands, and accepts that the teams can't be trusted with it.

Wolff isn't expressing some new or controversial position: This is clearly a safety issue, so clearly the FIA need to solve it. You going after him for it has extreme bitch-eating-crackers energy.
Just because teams can't be trusted with it, doesn't mean it's not their job. A team principal calling purpoising unsafe, but not take measures to immediately reduce it, resulting in his drivers having to deal with potential dangerous circumstances is the very definition of deflecting responsibility and it's very much hypocricy to call out something needing to be done, but not doing it yourself.

I'm not at all saying FIA shouldn't do anything, teams experiencing extreme purpoising not doing anything still deserves to be called out. Thinking I'm 'going after him' because I think his actions and words don't meet posted in a single post on resetera of all places, lmao.

But to ignore you go, no need for namecalling.

Dec 4, 2017
A team principal calling purpoising unsafe, but not take measures to immediately reduce it, resulting in his drivers having to deal with potential dangerous circumstances is the very definition of deflecting responsibility and it's very much hypocricy to call out something needing to be done, but not doing it yourself.

I'm not at all saying FIA shouldn't do anything, teams experiencing extreme purpoising not doing anything still deserves to be called out.
This. If Toto was genuinely worried about his drivers' health, he would order the ride height increased and/or the suspension tweaked of his own volition, rather than go cry to FIA about "muh driver safetay".
But he's well aware the Merc is already the slowest out of the top three due to the bungled meme nopods design; he wants to drag everybody else down, so his car can potentially become competitive again.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
karma for him ditching Renault after one season.

I'll be glad to see the back of him. One of the most overrated drivers in recent memory.
I'm not sure why but your hate for Ricciardo never stops being funny, even going as far as calling him an obnoxious asshole and a dickhead for no particular reason.

Did he kill your dog or something? Or do you know something about him we all should now?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

the-office-michael-scott.gif

Dec 4, 2017
Daniel's biggest obstacle to his current career is that he's an inbetweener. He doesn't have the 'gravitas' of the other old guard (HAM, VET, ALO), nor the (sometimes near-desperate) hunger of the new blood (LEC, VER, NOR).
Realistically, his position is that of another Perez. An older driver in the 2nd seat for a big team. But he doesn't want that, he wants to be the team's main. However, the only 1st driver positions for older drivers are with backmarker teams. And, even then, it has been shown recently they often prefer grabbing newbies from the junior series, not least because they're cheap. After all, Daniel's salary is the 4th largest on the grid, and even Alonso had to accept a pay cut when moving to AM.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I love the idea that Toto is so all powerful that he can tell the fia to do something and they do it without question, but he wasn't able to get them to unban fric, or das, or put the cutout back in the floor last year, or any other myriad things.

Its ALMOST like the FIA does what it wants after analysing data and feedback from multiple sources.

But no. Toto is the all powerful wizard.

Dec 4, 2017
I love the idea that Toto is so all powerful that he can tell the fia to do something and they do it without question, but he wasn't able to get them to unban fric, or das, or put the cutout back in the floor last year, or any other myriad things.
The FIA don't give a shit about performance components, so they'll happily ban them. As I mentioned, they banned the mass damper after a year and a half of considering it legal (and it was removed from all cars mid-season).
But Toto was smart to link a performance issue (their bad car design) to a health&safety issue, which FIA want to avoid due to it making for bad press.

This is not what I have read. It seems Daddy Stroll opened his bank account and was happy for a multi year deal with no "maybe if you're still good enough" provisos like the deal Alpine offered.
The details are confidential, obviously, but I'm not sure Alonso got the same salary he was getting at Alpine. I mean, heck, Seb was getting $5 million less than him, and he has 2 extra WDC's to his name compared to Alonso. I suspect the added job security trumped monetary considerations.
But we'll likely have to see the pay listing for next year to be certain.

Last edited:

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022

Yes but that's not super relevant. Schumacher won 5 world championships in the 2000s but that didn't stop him massively underperforming in the last 4 years of his career.

8 wins, 7 of which weren't for the team he's driving for, don't change that if he had the same points as his teammate, they would beat their direct rivals in the CC but that in reality, they're not.

Goron3

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2020
Floor edges raised by 15mm for next year.

"The FIA has commissioned medical work on the porpoising," Wolff told the media in response to a question from RacingNews365.com. "The summary of the doctors is that frequency of 1-2Hz, sustained over a few minutes, can lead to brain damage. We have 6-7Hz over several hours. So the answer is very easy: the FIA needs to do something about it."

"[15mm] is not as good as leaving it alone, [but] it's not as bad as the 25mm that was originally [suggested]. It's a compromise that we're just going to have to incorporate for next year," said tory cunt Christian Horner.

racingnews365.com

F1 teams agree compromise on technical amendment

With several F1 teams having suffered with bouncing so far in 2022, a compromise agreement has been reached with the FIA to raise the cars' floor edges by 15mm.
One thing missing from here is that the most significant change was scheduled to be the raising of the diffuser throat. It's not mentioned in this article and I Renken replied to me on Twitter saying it was just a floor edge change.

Given how much lower Mercedes run its floor floor edges compared to Red Bull I do think it might actually impact them more. At Canada and Baku for example, Red Bull actually ran with some rake.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
2005 was a bad year for him due to the idiotic no tire swap rule. And 2006 was a mess of various tech and regulation changes. And by 2010 he was pretty old.

Absolutely. But the excuses don't mean they should have employed him because of past achievements, Danny Ric has had a bad year and an awful year at McLaren. Maybe someone else thinks they can save him but another year at McLaren doesn't seem a good plan.

Fair point though because this is easy maths, Danny Ric is almost exactly 20 years younger than Michael so yeah, Michael was at his absolute best at this point.

Dec 4, 2017
Danny Ric has had a bad year and an awful year at McLaren. Maybe someone else thinks they can save him but another year at McLaren doesn't seem a good plan.
True, therein lies the issue. Having an unspectacular first year Is explainable/understandable, but when the second year isn't just not an improvement, but rather a marked downgrade, people start asking questions.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
And you could say 2022 cars don't suit him (and ignore part of the truly great driver is to MAKE them suit him) but that's still going to be a problem back at Alpine.

I'm absolutely not writing him off but fundamentally McLaren isn't working out for him and when the contract has an agreed break point I don't think it's a slight on anyone that the team takes it up.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After all, Daniel's salary is the 4th largest on the grid
5th by the numbers I'm seeing.

But this is one of the most baffling things with Ric, imo. Even in his heyday he wasn't worth such a fat paycheck. And I don't really understand why Renault paid the big bucks when it was he who wanted to get out of RB. The guy absolutely has potential but he is a has-been since he got beaten by Verstappen.

But what do I know. Alonso also apparently makes like 20m a year at Alpine and there is no way he's worth that at this moment, even though he is a proven WDC winner.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

Ferrari random strategy generator. Have fun.

Yes but that's not super relevant. Schumacher won 5 world championships in the 2000s but that didn't stop him massively underperforming in the last 4 years of his career.

8 wins, 7 of which weren't for the team he's driving for, don't change that if he had the same points as his teammate, they would beat their direct rivals in the CC but that in reality, they're not.

Schumacher didn't' t underperform. He was a 41 years old coming back to the sport after doing pretty much nothing for 3 years (+ a very serious neck injury that didn't allow him to replace Massa in 2009) in a complete different Formula 1 in terms of cars and regulations without the chance of testing like he was used to.
In 2012, as a 43 years old, his raw speed pretty much matched if not exceeded Rosberg which later we discovered was more than capable of challenging Lewis Hamilton on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
But what do I know. Alonso also apparently makes like 20m a year at Alpine and there is no way he's worth that at this moment, even though he is a proven WDC winner.
Absolutely. Even without the mechanical issues and (admittedly impressive) team fuckups (remember that in Austria they managed to fuck up twice), he'd still only be just (maybe a bit over) a dozen points above Ocon. Not exactly worth 4x the salary difference.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
According to wikipedia Ricciardo had 9 retirements in 2018. I remember it being a lot, and certain ones I think everyone will remember, but didn't think it was that many

Status
Not open for further replies.