• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
And Pro Clubs will still boil down too, People using assisted shooting, Pinging in finesse shots from the corner of the box, Or crossing the ball in 100 times a game. Corners at the corner of the D.... It all becomes familiar within a few games. Nothing feels new, Cycle repeats itself. Scripted beyond belief.

Mix it up abit, Have a player camera Libero Grande style so we can actually see the stadiums you got licensed. Give us co-op careers mode online so we don't have to use shareplay, Make online games mandatory so everyone has to use manual shooting/passing so stats are more meaningful, Give us a dirty tackle button like This is Football.

Ludicrous we still have this shite and PES to choose from each and every year.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Volta, thats it

although, there's this but take it with a grain of salt

To be fair, that article also points out the trend FIFA has of removing every change they do on one game in a patch/next entry, just because people doesn't know what they want. The absurd pace will be back by FIFA 21, or even before if they go nuts with the patches.

I think though, they're going in a good direction, or at the very least, the communication with the fans has improved massively, from the Pitch Notes to every small thing changed being detailed in the patch notes.

At any case, I'm actually really excited for it this year, I'll play the demo later (well, when a match time patch comes out on PC for the demo). PES is pretty good this year as well, so it's awesome to have good football games.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Kidding yourself that it won't feel nearly identical to the last one. And no matter how good it feels in the demo, you better believe they'll change all the balance for the final release and mess it up massively.
We have a dedicated crew who has played Pro Clubs together for many years and generally all get into the beta every year. From my experience with the closed beta, the pro clubs mode actually does feel a bit different and I'm excited about some of the QOL improvements they've implemented.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
And Pro Clubs will still boil down too, People using assisted shooting, Pinging in finesse shots from the corner of the box, Or crossing the ball in 100 times a game. Corners at the corner of the D.... It all becomes familiar within a few games. Nothing feels new, Cycle repeats itself. Scripted beyond belief.

Mix it up abit, Have a player camera Libero Grande style so we can actually see the stadiums you got licensed. Give us co-op careers mode online so we don't have to use shareplay, Make online games mandatory so everyone has to use manual shooting/passing so stats are more meaningful, Give us a dirty tackle button like This is Football.

Ludicrous we still have this shite and PES to choose from each and every year.
But FIFA already has a player camera like Libero Grande.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
But FIFA already has a player camera like Libero Grande.
That's the pro cam, Not the same as it's not actually on the pitch, All you do is shoot up aswell, It's like a view behind the goal. I'm talking like Pro Evo's player cam where it's literally you down on the pitch, Seeing the ball come in from a corner, Being behind the ball when you take a free kick. Adds way more immersion too it.

Put a player on fixed, So it's just you controlling 1 player and it's a fantastic perspective to use when you're tired of the same side to side cam that's been used since the dawn of time.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, that article also points out the trend FIFA has of removing every change they do on one game in a patch/next entry, just because people doesn't know what they want. The absurd pace will be back by FIFA 21, or even before if they go nuts with the patches.

I think though, they're going in a good direction, or at the very least, the communication with the fans has improved massively, from the Pitch Notes to every small thing changed being detailed in the patch notes.

At any case, I'm actually really excited for it this year, I'll play the demo later (well, when a match time patch comes out on PC for the demo). PES is pretty good this year as well, so it's awesome to have good football games.

I feel like in terms of gameplay they are micromanaging in a way. The lower speed was a welcome addition, but to me it feels like I've been playing the same FIFA virtually all generation, with only some bigger bumps maybe with 15 and 19. In that same timeframe, PES evolved its gameplay a lot (though it also was coming from a worse point, so there's that), drastically changing how defending, tactics and passing work in particular. They are indeed going back and forth with the design philosophies because they have ideas about how to improve the game, but the community's reaction is mixed and they don't really drive it home. This made the game feel a bit stale, and indeed I have not played FIFA 19 as long as I expected because I didn't feel enough news, and I felt that the game's shortcomings were still all there.

This year's addition, the faux FIFA Street mode sounds awesome, but game mode variety was not FIFA's main issue for me.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like in terms of gameplay they are micromanaging in a way. The lower speed was a welcome addition, but to me it feels like I've been playing the same FIFA virtually all generation, with only some bigger bumps maybe with 15 and 19. In that same timeframe, PES evolved its gameplay a lot (though it also was coming from a worse point, so there's that), drastically changing how defending, tactics and passing work in particular. They are indeed going back and forth with the design philosophies because they have ideas about how to improve the game, but the community's reaction is mixed and they don't really drive it home. This made the game feel a bit stale, and indeed I have not played FIFA 19 as long as I expected because I didn't feel enough news, and I felt that the game's shortcomings were still all there.

This year's addition, the faux FIFA Street mode sounds awesome, but game mode variety was not FIFA's main issue for me.
Yeah, I agree with everything you said. PES indeed needed that hard evolution, if not they were dead in the water (and they almost are). FIFA will always sell no matter what.

I think next-gen is essential for FIFA. For people to notice the jump, they need to do more than improve the lighting or something like that. A jump like in FIFA 08 from PS2 to PS3.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree with everything you said. PES indeed needed that hard evolution, if not they were dead in the water (and they almost are). FIFA will always sell no matter what.

I think next-gen is essential for FIFA. For people to notice the jump, they need to do more than improve the lighting or something like that. A jump like in FIFA 08 from PS2 to PS3.

I've been playing PES 2020 these past couple days and the jump is impressive. For the first time since forever the game actually feels smooth, the career mode doesn't feel empty, the polish seems there and in general the football is closer to the real thing than ever. There's still things to solve (I'm still not satisfied about how the game handles defense and keepers), but the way long passes, precision touches, etc. work is immensely better in PES right now, and it's a shame FIFA is too busy counting money to take clues from the competition there. FIFA will always be the bigger dog because of the money, the licenses, the ads and the general fame, but PES feels a lot better as a realistic depiction of football dynamics and it's not even a contest tbh. It's just that FIFA looks and feels better in many ways (including the licenses of course), and it has The Journey, now Volta, etc..

It's a shame PES has no chance to get close to FIFA, because I'd be addicted to FIFA as I was back in the day if they implemented even half of the changes that make PES matches feel like real football as opposed to the fast-paced arcade pinball with fake emotions they have had going more and more throughout the years.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
2 matches in and I can already tell Volta isn't gonna be anything special. Street football is way more about embarrassing your opponents with skills, but Volta just feels like regular FIFA scaled down to 3v3 with some fancier animations to give you the impression that it's not regular football but street football. All goals I scored and conceded were just your regular goals with build up play, passing it to someone in a good position and tapping it in.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I'm not even going to try the demo this time around. FIFA 2019 was terrible IMO and the focus on loot boxes and scripting is killing it for me, even in single player. Then career mode sees pretty much no attention, the only mode that really interests me - as EA chase the child targeted gambling money over proper gameplay and mode improvements. Unfortunately PES isn't much better these days. I think this will be the first year since 1994 that I do not buy a football (soccer) game... Well except Football Manager 2020, but that's different...

Sorry, very negative, I know...

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing PES 2020 these past couple days and the jump is impressive. For the first time since forever the game actually feels smooth, the career mode doesn't feel empty, the polish seems there and in general the football is closer to the real thing than ever. There's still things to solve (I'm still not satisfied about how the game handles defense and keepers), but the way long passes, precision touches, etc. work is immensely better in PES right now, and it's a shame FIFA is too busy counting money to take clues from the competition there. FIFA will always be the bigger dog because of the money, the licenses, the ads and the general fame, but PES feels a lot better as a realistic depiction of football dynamics and it's not even a contest tbh. It's just that FIFA looks and feels better in many ways (including the licenses of course), and it has The Journey, now Volta, etc..

It's a shame PES has no chance to get close to FIFA, because I'd be addicted to FIFA as I was back in the day if they implemented even half of the changes that make PES matches feel like real football as opposed to the fast-paced arcade pinball with fake emotions they have had going more and more throughout the years.
PES fights to survive, and if it was in any other hand than Konami it would have improved even more. Sadly, reading comments on past PES team members, the situation is dire. The team does what they can.

FIFA will, indeed, always have the audience. It's like 2K, it won't ever die, it's too big for that. The problem is that the audience is really uneven, because some want the super arcade gameplay that FUT brings forward, while some want the true football simulation it gets close to deliver, but doesn't quite reach.

The problem is that, for one reason or the other, both are quite frustrating games lol

2 matches in and I can already tell Volta isn't gonna be anything special. Street football is way more about embarrassing your opponents with skills, but Volta just feels like regular FIFA scaled down to 3v3 with some fancier animations to give you the impression that it's not regular football but street football. All goals I scored and conceded were just your regular goals with build up play, passing it to someone in a good position and tapping it in.
Seems like the idea is much more Futsal than anything. That's good too, but it's a shame they didn't went all in for a FIFA Street-like mode.

OP
OP
Lashley

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely notice a change in the gameplay, with new animations and the changes to pace.

Means nothing if they just patch the full release to please the kids and pace merchants.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
PES fights to survive, and if it was in any other hand than Konami it would have improved even more. Sadly, reading comments on past PES team members, the situation is dire. The team does what they can.

Interesting that this year Konami announced it's fifth consecutive year of profit grow with the games division being almost entirely made by PES.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...njoys-fifth-consecutive-year-of-profit-growth

"In terms of console and PC games, PES continues to be the big hit with the game's online mode myClub performing particularly well, thanks in part to a promotion with the mobile version."

So every time i read someone saying that PES is dying because it doesn't have Fifa numbers in sales i can only laugh. The series has never been so much profitable, mainly because microtransactions, and will not die anytime soon!!!

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that this year Konami announced it's fifth consecutive year of profit grow with the games division being almost entirely made by PES.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...njoys-fifth-consecutive-year-of-profit-growth

So every time i read someone saying that PES is dying because it doesn't have Fifa numbers in sales i can only laugh. The series has never been so much profitable, mainly because microtransactions, and will not die anytime soon!!!
Look man, I like PES a lot. I have every edition, including the one that came out today. I can see by your previous posts in this thread that you like it as well.

I'm not saying PES is failing because it can't reach FIFA. Of course it won't ever reach FIFA. I'm saying it's not reaching PS2 PES either. Of course they make money, they have MyClub now which is fair. But the series is still falling, and that report you showed me includes the mobile version, which is doing way better than the console version, according to brand manager Adam Bhatti.

Last years PES sold 42% less at launch (physical) than PES 2018: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-03-pes-physical-sales-down-42-percent-on-last-year
While the physical market is declining, it's too big of a drop to ignore.

I repeat, I want PES to succeed. FIFA needs competition, and when they are both on their best game, they are the best.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
FIFA 19s demo is still better.
Don't get it, they've made changes to career mode and this is the gameplay they serve up? Yeesh. No weight and feels sloppier than 19. All these new gameplay features they're bigging up are barely noticeable.

Volta seems pointless, you're far too easily through on goal and can just do a simple forward pass then score. Did they even play FIFA Street before developing this mode? You need those 1 to 1 battles that you need to use skills to get past otherwise it just falls apart.

Weird decision to lock the game speed to normal and only CL games so only European teams in the demo.

Maybe they're going with a shit demo and a better full game this time?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

They did specifically mention a mobile Yugioh game in that article and they also had a Switch-exclusive Yugioh game that sold better than expectations apparently. I am surprised that they don't have a bigger mobile footprint in Japan.. that really feels like something they need to fix.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Look man, I like PES a lot. I have every edition, including the one that came out today. I can see by your previous posts in this thread that you like it as well.

I'm not saying PES is failing because it can't reach FIFA. Of course it won't ever reach FIFA. I'm saying it's not reaching PS2 PES either. Of course they make money, they have MyClub now which is fair. But the series is still falling, and that report you showed me includes the mobile version, which is doing way better than the console version, according to brand manager Adam Bhatti.

Last years PES sold 42% less at launch (physical) than PES 2018: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-03-pes-physical-sales-down-42-percent-on-last-year
While the physical market is declining, it's too big of a drop to ignore.

I repeat, I want PES to succeed. FIFA needs competition, and when they are both on their best game, they are the best.

Physical market is declining everywhere, so that numbers really doesn't mean much. I think that the PES department is more than happy to between 1.5 and 2.0 million units every year AND still have the microtransaction profit AND still have the mobile game. So i just replied you because you were saying that PES is "fighting for survival", one thing that in my view is not true. They know they won't sell 20 million copies like Fifa but they are far from being a failure franchise or being close to die.

I also thinks that the best thing for Fifa players is that PES never dies so EA have at least some reason to improve gameplay or else we would have the same scenario from NHL where the EA game is a piece of crap with the same gameplay in almost 10 years and people simply have no alternative if they want to play a hockey game.

OP
OP
Lashley

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
FIFA 19s demo is still better.
Don't get it, they've made changes to career mode and this is the gameplay they serve up? Yeesh. No weight and feels sloppier than 19. All these new gameplay features they're bigging up are barely noticeable.

Volta seems pointless, you're far too easily through on goal and can just do a simple forward pass then score. Did they even play FIFA Street before developing this mode? You need those 1 to 1 battles that you need to use skills to get past otherwise it just falls apart.

Weird decision to lock the game speed to normal and only CL games so only European teams in the demo.

Maybe they're going with a shit demo and a better full game this time?
What demo did you play? Gameplay differences were immediately noticeable to me, but they'll probably patch them out.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
What demo did you play? Gameplay differences were immediately noticeable to me, but they'll probably patch them out.
The same one unless the Xbox demo is a different build.
It feels different from 19 sure, but I wasn't seeing or feeling much of the actual stated differences it bangs on about at the start and after every match.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
PC demo feels a little slow for me. Granted, it's on normal speed, and you can't change that.

No monetization, referrals, donation links etc.

OP
OP
Lashley

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the option for fast play is on there, and not this being the fastest it will go. It's just too slow for me. It would take me some time to adjust play at this speed.
they'll make it quicker for FUT, and for offline you can change game speed to fast

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Honestly, I have no idea why I download the FIFA demo every year as it is always an older build. The final version is always drastically different especially after the usual day 1 patch.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Coming from like a million hours in FIFA18, it feels a lot slower.

But also it seems the players sometimes do some weird skating around as if I was playing NHL, wtf is up with that?

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Felt pretty good to me, there weren't any cheese passing options and I felt like I had a good amount of control of getting my players to do what I wanted them to do. Ball physics felt good! You can't just finesse shot all the time (so far).

Volta will be fun online, I also like that you can kinda bounce it off the wall however you want. Definitely not like FIFA street but I enjoyed the more the more grounded take on street play.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Having played this demo against the CPU and friends a decent bit, I'm really surprised by the direction they went in.

The passivity of the AI in both attack and defence is bizarre, and why I understand the complaint they are reacting to (that defending is too automatic), their response is to deliberately wreck a core part of the simulation.

In attack it's incredibly frustrating to watch your players doing nothing. While the classic cheap counter attacks are still on the cards it is otherwise really hard to persuade your team to make the kinds of moves necessary to get past the defence and find space to shoot. As so much now has to be triggered by the user through the run and support triggers, it feels like all the ingenuity and variety of attacking movement has been sapped from the game.

In defence it's basically you doing all the work while your teammates ball watch. It's exceptionally hard to apply meaningful pressure and so more than ever you're just waiting for your opponent to make a mistake. When your teammates aren't doing what they should be, which is often, you have to switch around like a madman to try and fix it, the problem being that there are no mechanics in the game remotely suited to controlling an entire defence. It's an area of the game that needs a genuine rethink so that the user can play a bigger part controlling a multitude of players rather than one at a time. Breaking the AI is clearly not a fix at all.

Beyond that the game doesn't really feel like it's moved forward much. There's a litany of new controls most of which are needless additions no one will ever use. I do appreciate that they've replaced the dreadful no touch dribble with the face up dribble, but hard to ignore that this is a reversion to what the game had a few years ago, even if this is the best implementation of it.

The biggest shame as always is that while EA are desperate to make users take more control in areas like defending, they are still content to allow assistance to dominate attacking play. The heavy handed assists are one of the very few elements of FIFA that haven't changed meaningfully for over a decade. The effect is widespread: the assists are bad at determining user intent and frequently attempt the wrong passes. The assists are generally too strong and will frequently enable borderline impossible and clearly unfair passes. Most of all the assists radically diminish a users ability to feel responsible for the good and bad passes, crosses and shots they make, because they have almost nothing to do with it.

FIFA 20 feels confused. It doesn't feel on the face of it to be a better game to 19 to me. The main change is that they've lobotomised the AI - there's no way that's worth a purchase.

OP
OP
Lashley

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Having played this demo against the CPU and friends a decent bit, I'm really surprised by the direction they went in.

The passivity of the AI in both attack and defence is bizarre, and why I understand the complaint they are reacting to (that defending is too automatic), their response is to deliberately wreck a core part of the simulation.

In attack it's incredibly frustrating to watch your players doing nothing. While the classic cheap counter attacks are still on the cards it is otherwise really hard to persuade your team to make the kinds of moves necessary to get past the defence and find space to shoot. As so much now has to be triggered by the user through the run and support triggers, it feels like all the ingenuity and variety of attacking movement has been sapped from the game.

In defence it's basically you doing all the work while your teammates ball watch. It's exceptionally hard to apply meaningful pressure and so more than ever you're just waiting for your opponent to make a mistake. When your teammates aren't doing what they should be, which is often, you have to switch around like a madman to try and fix it, the problem being that there are no mechanics in the game remotely suited to controlling an entire defence. It's an area of the game that needs a genuine rethink so that the user can play a bigger part controlling a multitude of players rather than one at a time. Breaking the AI is clearly not a fix at all.

Beyond that the game doesn't really feel like it's moved forward much. There's a litany of new controls most of which are needless additions no one will ever use. I do appreciate that they've replaced the dreadful no touch dribble with the face up dribble, but hard to ignore that this is a reversion to what the game had a few years ago, even if this is the best implementation of it.

The biggest shame as always is that while EA are desperate to make users take more control in areas like defending, they are still content to allow assistance to dominate attacking play. The heavy handed assists are one of the very few elements of FIFA that haven't changed meaningfully for over a decade. The effect is widespread: the assists are bad at determining user intent and frequently attempt the wrong passes. The assists are generally too strong and will frequently enable borderline impossible and clearly unfair passes. Most of all the assists radically diminish a users ability to feel responsible for the good and bad passes, crosses and shots they make, because they have almost nothing to do with it.

FIFA 20 feels confused. It doesn't feel on the face of it to be a better game to 19 to me. The main change is that they've lobotomised the AI - there's no way that's worth a purchase.
Gotta agree tbh, I'm sure the main game is going to be different to this, but no players make a run unless I press L1, and then they go over the top literally sprinting to the goalkeeper if I don't pass to them.

AI defenders never put a foot out either, even if the ball brushes their foot.

Clubs is going to be a disaster