Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
What should I be looking when shopping for an arcade stick? I know those aren't cheap but must I absolutely spend a fortune to have a chance on being competitive? My platform is PC, if that's important.

I'm going to give it a go on fighting games, I'm shit at those but I feel like they can give me my fix of online gameplay without all the "co-op", "better with friends" and "mic required" bullshit that seems to be everywhere today.
First thing you need to know is that fight sticks aren't mandatory for any fighting game. Play with what feels most comfortable to you. That being said, if you're truly serious about going all-in on a stick, then make sure you do some research on parts/buttons/etc. Specifically if they're a good build and will stand up to abuse instead of falling apart after some wear and tear.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
There's also gates. For the stick
There's square gates , 8 gates and circle. You could just test which ones you prefer
Most people go with square gates and alot of the korean sticks have circle gates

square_gate2.png
octagon_gate.png
circle_gate.png

Oct 26, 2017
What should I be looking when shopping for an arcade stick? I know those aren't cheap but must I absolutely spend a fortune to have a chance on being competitive? My platform is PC, if that's important.

I'm going to give it a go on fighting games, I'm shit at those but I feel like they can give me my fix of online gameplay without all the "co-op", "better with friends" and "mic required" bullshit that seems to be everywhere today.

The go to arcade stick these days is the Hrap 4 kai. It's not expensive at all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3ULCQY/?tag=era0f0-20

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Haha it's okay. It's great you're explaining these things to a noob like me. I was under the impression that control pads are useless against online players and wanted to check into that stuff. I'm outside the US and things get quite expensive, like the Hori fighsticks, but that one from Amazon looks good.

Also, about the gates, I knew there was something like that in arcades! I played KOF a lot back when I was a kid at random arcades and the controls felt weird in one machine and the other. Always thought it was related to the stick itself, now I know I wasn't crazy when stuff felt "off" while playing at other places.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Haha it's okay. It's great you're explaining these things to a noob like me. I was under the impression that control pads are useless against online players and wanted to check into that stuff. I'm outside the US and things get quite expensive, like the Hori fighsticks, but that one from Amazon looks good.

Also, about the gates, I knew there was something like that in arcades! I played KOF a lot back when I was a kid at random arcades and the controls felt weird in one machine and the other. Always thought it was related to the stick itself, now I know I wasn't crazy when stuff felt "off" while playing at other places.
TBH it doesn't matter what use. Some dude won EVO with a PS1 controller. Use what's already comfortable with you. If you are gonna pic a stick and want to use it a your regular thing it's and it's gonna take some work to be decent at it depending how new to sticks you are. Using a stick won't suddenly make you better infact you'll be worse for a minute till you get used to it

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Was way better than the Japanese dub for me (except for maybe I-No). Ram was equally bad in both... and there was no English Dub to rescue us from Revelator Jam like it did for May & Elphelt.
Sol and Venom's dub absolutely destroyed any intention of me ever using it lol

Oct 26, 2017
Anyways, regarding parts.

A lot of people don't like the stock Hori joystick or buttons.

Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai (what a mouthful, eh?) comes with Hori's own stock joystick called the Hayabusa as well their own company made buttons (also called Hayabusa). Thing is, their buttons and stick are controversial and not well liked. Hayabusa buttons imo are the worst buttons on the market.

Pros benefits of various stick parts:

Joysticks

Hori

Info: The Hori Hayabusa. Sensitive as fuck. Very loose and light which requires pitch perfect execution. I hate this stick in stock. I added a spring mod to it. The stock stick has a very, very light spring which makes it feel like you're maneuvering a feather. I put in a 1.5 pound spring in mine and everyone I know, including me, who has used that stick since has loved it. Here's the deal with Hayabusa stick. Stock, people mostly hate it but it has its audience. Personally, I find it too loose to execute in stock form and this hampered my ability to grow as a player. Modded, it's a top tier stick on par with or better than Sanwa. It's also an easy mod (considering). Just need to put a 1.5 lb spring and take out its stock spring. One cool thing about Hayabusa is how when you move it makes a click as you rotate the stick. This can be good or bad depending on if you're playing at night, but it feels so mechanical and feels good. Combined with a spring mod and you've got yourself a good stick.

Sanwa

71ICQyjIOBL._SY355_.jpg

Info: Whew. This is what we call the JLF. This is the standard. It's loose but it has far more weight to it than the Hayabusa. It feels nothing like a modded Hayabusa but it feels precise and exact while still having a little looseness to it. Highly recommended if you don't want to mod your Hayabusa and want an alternative to the stock stick.

Buttons

Everyone's favorite topic. Mother fucking buttons.

Give me some air, boys and girls.

Hori

info: Hori's buttons are also called Hayabusa's. They're matte. They have a blah plunger. It doesn't have that smooth click, mechanical feeling. These buttons are WACK. I know very few people who like these. All of us with Hori sticks have replaced them shits with Sanwa or Seimitsu. These are TERRIBLE. Their best positive is that they are responsive.

Sanwa

img_1701.jpg

Info: OBSF-30's. The GOD. THE arcade standard. They got that fucking smooth finish. They feel good to press. When they go down they go into the plunger and it FEELS. GOOD. I cannot explain it. They make a click when you press them. I am biased here because my loyalty to Sanwa's buttons is that fucking serious. These buttons are ones with a light touch. If you touch them they WILL respond. This means you can't mash shit or rest your fingers on them much but at the same time this allows for really precise execution techniques, like piano, negative edge, double finger-ing for a mash move or just doing good ol' combos. They're responsive and easy when doing things like combo links and make it easy to glide your finger from button to button. I. Love. These. Buttons. These are standard for a reason.

Seimitsu

seimitsu_main-500x500.JPG

Info: Seimitsu PS-14-GN's.These are the polar opposite of Sanwa's line and just as viable. I really like these but not the way I do OBSF's. Notice that they have a flat top. These are the opposite of OBSF's in that they take a bit more to press the plunger into the actuator. Meaning they're not light and are more mechanical. For those who like a more hard touch and like mashing their buttons or resting their fingers, these are a better sell than Sanwa and have their own audience.

IMO? Get an 8 pack of Sanwa OBSF's and an 8 pack of Seimitsu PS-14-GN's. They'll cost 20 bucks a pop but you'll get to see which you prefer. Buttons are easy to install too. Just unplug and plop em out/in. Alternatively, make a choice now and then get the others later. Or maybe you'll be fine with the stock Hayabusa parts (yuck). Who knows.

Stick vs Pad

What Prof. Beef said about not needing stick is true. But it's also kind of wrong. If you go to any local fighting game hang out, we have some stations with sticks already plugged in. A lot of times people bring their own sticks for people to play on and it might be on a system that does not take your controller, like Dreamcast for instance. Or NeoGeo. You'll be dealing with what people bring. And you don't know how to play stick? You're shit out of luck. One time when I was a pad player, I forgot my pad at home. I swear I brought it.You know what happened that night? I couldn't play worth a damn because I couldn't use stick. The local had loan me sticks and I took one but I couldn't use it. If I could use stick, leaving my own stick at home wouldn't be a problem because I could just ask a friend if I could use theirs. I decided then I'd buy a stick. Why? To just learn how to use one. One benefit of learning stick is that you can play on any stick (even ones with awful parts) and since that's the fighting game standard, you'll be able to go to arcades while on a trip to Japan and play no problem. Good luck with that if you're a pad player. They sometimes bring arcade cabs to major tournaments. If you want to play on that cab but can't because you're a pad player? GJ. Being a pad player in the fgc only limited me. So for that reason I suggest at least learning how to use stick. A player like Punk plays competitively on pad, but still knows how to use stick. There's preferences, and then there's practicality. No harm in using pad to play fgs. Many players do so. But at least get a stick and learn how to use it so that when you're at a fun event you're not left out because you decided to not learn to play stick.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

A stick wont make you a better player. Its about comfort and consistency. I can rapid fire fireballs and half circles on stick but the dragonpunch came with a learning curve. I made the switch to sticks around nearly 8 years ago with MVC3 vanilla and it was a process. A lot of things though are worth owning a stick for though. Shmups and fighters are definitely great with them but any arcade style game feels fun with them. Its more of a nostalgia thing for me I guess. I loved the arcade stuff as a child because I rarely got to be near them. I like reliving that now that I can.

As for whats good in general you want several things.

• wired. wireless results in input delay quite often. Goes for controllers too.
  • good buttons. Generally seimitsu or Sanwa denshi are your go to buttons. They are very low profile so less pressure is needed to get an input off and it lets you run the buttons faster. Plus the quality springs and build of these buttons means they last a lot longer than the knockoffs that end up losing spring tension resulting in stuck inputs all the time or the dreaded bad leads resulting in no input at all.
  • Good stick. Again seimitsu or sanwa parts are the go to. Whether its a 4 way or 8 way gate (box or octagonal gate) is a matter of personal taste. Same with whether you want a balltop or bat top shaped stick. The gates are restrictor plates that the stick moves in. For me the square ones make sketchier on half circles and dragon punches. I use octagonal gates so I can feel each primary and diagonal direction hit home. This however feels super loose like theres too much play in the stick for many players so again...personal taste. Most come with a box restrictor plate so if it feels fine when you buy the stick then no need to open it up and switch to octagonal.
  • Good PCB. PCB is your primary circuit board and the goal is Zero delay gear. You dont want input delay and not all PCB are created equal. Hori, Madcatz, and the higher end qanba have all been good to me though the qanba drone and cheaper models were less impressive. Mayflash was garbage. In general, your pcb is proprietary stuff from the stick maker unless you buy modded or custom gear like dual modded sticks to play on multiple consoles. Brooke converters are terrific to let you play the older hayday madcatz sticks that were built with sanwa gear on the x1 and PS4 consoles (or other consoles). There may be some slight delay with converters though so weigh in with brooke converter owners.
Just remember if you're not good at fighting games yet you likely wont notice slight input delays buy they'll still be there fighting you. If this is for casual usage and not being super competitive then fuck it who cares. Buy a Qanba drone for all it matters. Its decent just not high end and good for tournies but fine for shmups, beatem ups, arcade stuff and casual fighting fun (though not ideal). Main thing is buy for what you need here. In general, I say it pays to just spend the extra $40 or so and get a solid as hell stick right out the gate though like an HRAP or Madcatz TE stick.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I posted shapes and it was alot but then himuro posts what looks like airplane parts and wires sticking out

Oct 26, 2017
Another benefit of stick is that you don't have to use it just for fighting games. If you play any amount of 2d games a stick is valuable as an asset. If you have Metal Slug, what would you rather play on? Stick or pad? 2d shooters? Stick or pad? I can't wait to get Cuphead and try it out on my stick for example. I bet it feels good.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead is better on pad because of the weapon swap exploit. Unless that was patched out/super nerfed.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that was a very informative post shaowebb. Thank you so much.

I know I won't get to be a better player just by using those, but I definitely would like to use a control scheme I remember using (never was good at KOF but I could pull the basic combos with Iori and whatnot), and I don't feel quite comfortable with a regular controller. Playing MKXL is great, but I do really weird mixups when playing it at my XB1. For example, a double forward/back tap for dashing somehow makes me jump, so my thumb goes to the dpad instead. Making inputs in the XB1 control stick feels weird and the dpad doesn't feel comfortable to play either.

However, I loved playing KOF XIII using my damn keyboard haha, entering the inputs feels really natural in there. My question was more in the sense of "how do I know I'm not buying a shit fightstick other than Amazon ratings" and you've been really helpful so far. :) Great community you got in here! :D

Another benefit of stick is that you don't have to use it just for fighting games. If you play any amount of 2d games a stick is valuable as an asset. If you have Metal Slug, what would you rather play on? Stick or pad? 2d shooters? Stick or pad? I can't wait to get Cuphead and try it out on my stick for example. I bet it feels good.
I'd love to play Cuphead in there, you're right. Bet Cave Story would be rad too.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games are the best genre.

MarkMan, where's that ResetEra stick thread, meign. I held off on making it out of legacy and respek. :P

OP
OP
Karsticles

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was the main thread
Himuro making a replacement thread then?
I talked with Cindi about making a FG OT, and if she does it then I'm cool with us all jumping on board with that one and closing this one. Or I can copy/paste her stuff in here. Whatever Cindi wants I'm good with. I'm not cut out for making OTs. I can't even make a good-looking PowerPoint. I only made this OT because part of my role in the transition to ResetEra was to create a place for our community to post.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I talked with Cindi about making a FG OT, and if she does it then I'm cool with us all jumping on board with that one and closing this one. Or I can copy/paste her stuff in here. Whatever Cindi wants I'm good with. I'm not cut out for making OTs. I can't even make a good-looking PowerPoint. I only made this OT because part of my role in the transition to ResetEra was to create a place for our community to post.
We in the spotlight now and pasting stuff in the OT seems like the best choice. Many posts too it'll be weird if we move again right after coming here

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have decided that I am not going to give up on Zato. Seeing Zato play fills me with a joy that no other GG character does. It's time to live in the lab.

If anyone is mediocre to bad at GG and wants matches, hit me up on the Discord. I'm usually happy to play people above my level in fighting games, but with Zato I fall apart too easily if I am significantly outmatched.

We can test our connection out. I have decent connection with another friend who lives in florida. I'm living that Answer life right now.

Oct 26, 2017
Novril's channel uploaded a new episode in Drunkard Shade's (amazing) Exploring Fighting Games series which is a second parter on creating block pressure.

https://youtu.be/dUfgMgsMx-Q

Part 1 can be found here.

We were talking about what we're playing these days and I've been playing Super Turbo, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, and a bit of BlazBlue CF, and the occasional Tekken 7.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Karsticles

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We can test our connection out. I have decent connection with another friend who lives in florida. I'm living that Answer life right now.
I'm excited to see how you've evolved since I last played you.

I actually don't know if we're PSN friends, so add Karsticles. Also, if you ever want to play Killer Instinct add Karsticles on Steam!

stro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved Injustice 2, been playing MvCI the past two days and not very into it. I guess Marvel isn't very fun to play as a single player or something? Maybe that's the reason.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Hey, just noticed this on the main forum. If there was one thing I never did much, it was participate much in the communicates. I hope to do that more here, especially fgcERA.

hi everyone. my name is MarkMan and I love fighting games. Are you excited for the TEKKEN World Tour Global Finals? It's happening on Nov. 12th and I can't wait!

Oh crap, that's this weekend? Thanks for the heads up!

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the story with the discord?

it disappeared from my Channel last week or whatever. I guess, a bunch of people were kicked?