Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo Haitani is getting married

And there are exhibitions at the wedding party.

Haitani vs

Sako in VS
Nuki in 3S
Tokido in SFV

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, dude want to get destroyed on his wedding night!

Will probably beat Sako in VS

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if there were any editions of fighting games for handhelds that would be considered special editions or definitive editions of various fighting games? I know some stuff got rereleased but I dont remember what all was exclusive to handheld rereleases on the PSP or anything. Wasn't there something with Darkstalkers and Street Fighter Alpha?
Darkstalkers doesn't have a definitive edition.
The PSP version has the Chaos Tower mode, the DC version (I believe?) has a sort of version select (including hypothetical ones, like "play Buletta like she would have played in Vampire 1 if she had been there) and the PS2 version is the most complete, has dip switches, properly arranged versions (so not everything is cast in Savior 1's system) and D if you're into "what if"s.
No version allows to use Hunter backgrounds in Saviour unfortunately.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
So I'm going to be in New Orleans until Friday. Work trip for my fiance but my lowly ass will probably be stuck in a hotel room while the conferences are going on so is there much of a FGC here? Any places to go to play some fighting games with people? Figured this would be a good thread to post this question in lol.

Nov 2, 2017
SRK Forums are closing at the end of the month.

http://shoryuken.com/2018/01/08/srk-forums-to-close-at-the-end-of-january-2018/

End of an era. I was just thinking about heading over there because I find the talk about fighting games here a bit... lacking. But it's probably for the best that I didn't fall into that trap because the community has always been largely terrible.

I'm upset over the continuing loss of forums as a communication tool, though. Shit just makes no sense to me.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

End of an era. I was just thinking about heading over there because I find the talk about fighting games here a bit... lacking. But it's probably for the best that I didn't fall into that trap because the community has always been largely terrible.

I'm upset over the continuing loss of forums as a communication tool, though. Shit just makes no sense to me.

I went there regularly for KOF/SNK talk so definitely sad to see it go.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember messaging Laugh on Shoryuken to purchase an Inpin PS2-PS3 converter during the SF4 boom. The tech side really was the best part of that place.

MadeMan

Dec 3, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Very sad, social media and chat are horrible mediums for discussions, but so many people are abandoning forum quality for the convenience of discord and fb groups.

I'm glad VFDC is still around at least, and this place, although I use era for general talk more than in depth fgc or tech/strategy.

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone here good with forum coding? I have an idea that I've been brainstorming awhile regarding the dissolution of fighting game forums via social media that I think could help things if it's at all possible to execute. The person I've currently confided in is just too perpetually distracted to get it off the ground despite seeing merit in the idea.

OP
OP
Karsticles

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here good with forum coding? I have an idea that I've been brainstorming awhile regarding the dissolution of fighting game forums via social media that I think could help things if it's at all possible to execute. The person I've currently confided in is just too perpetually distracted to get it off the ground despite seeing merit in the idea.
Maybe talk to Thomosorus?

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Season 3 is finally the SFV that was meant to be.
Pretty much. The second V triggers have a lot of potential to correct many of the character issues caused by the lack of a more robust universal set of options in the game's mechanics. That and the modes that let you essentially play KOF style have me very interested.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm at CES right now, and at the Razer booth, they have soul calibur 6 playable. Played about 30 min with mitsu and sophitia.

Environments are gorgeous and the game is flashy as fuck. Character models lack a ton of details. Haven't played a souls game since 3 but the game feels quicker?

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
The patch notes for SFV are maybe the most useless patch notes I have seen for a fighting game ever good god. Everything is "changed hurtbox/hitbox/position." Like, 60%+ of the notes are basically "we changed shit."

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
@.@ the lack of EVO Japan details for an event happening in two weeks is killing me. No idea when pools are starting, and they are selling finals seats with no information on the venue setup. -shurg- Starting to get worried I'm gonna waste my vacation days on some whack event.

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, it's sad how much discussion/info is basically going into ether, only seen by a handful of people, because it was tweeted or discorded. Twitter and Discord are good for certain things but they are woefully inadequate for the in-depth discussion topics that have been mostly migrated to those platforms.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's sad how much discussion/info is basically going into ether, only seen by a handful of people, because it was tweeted or discorded. Twitter and Discord are good for certain things but they are woefully inadequate for the in-depth discussion topics that have been mostly migrated to those platforms.
Yeah. The lack of centralization is super frustrating to me. Like the other day I had to browse through a bunch of Discord resources to gather bits and pieces of info on DBFZ because they weren't organized in any remotely efficient fashion....something which comes for free with forums. It's just really not convenient.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The patch notes for SFV are maybe the most useless patch notes I have seen for a fighting game ever good god. Everything is "changed hurtbox/hitbox/position." Like, 60%+ of the notes are basically "we changed shit."
Yup. Garbage patch notes in general and not really that different from the original leaked patch notes. Almost used the same wording too.

People ask why fighting games aren't as big as other genres... it's because the leader in competitive fighting games puts up patch notes like that. This is probably dramatic and hyperbole but it represents a microcosm of the fundamental flaws in how fighting games are handled.

Dudes getting hyped over in-game feature that shows positive/negative on block...features that were available in other games in the PS2 era...

This is a HOTS patch note that came out today (using this is a random example because it came out in the exact same time frame). HOTS is not the leading MOBA in the business when it comes to Esports like SFV is but check out the detail in the patch notes:

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21349574/heroes-of-the-storm-patch-notes-january-9-2018-1-9-2018

First of all they have PTRs and they highlight changes from PTR (fighting games still don't have running PTRs just a little FYI there). They have well formatted and indexed changes in different colors and heading. After each significant patch change there are developer notes on WHY THE HELL THEY MADE THE CHANGE TO BEGIN WITH so it doesn't come across as "we changed shit because balance or whatever." They have a separate section for bugs and fixes so you can tell what is a balance change and what is just a regular bug fix.

This is a criticism that anyone should make because posting patch notes is not difficult... it's something everyone in here could do. No one can hide behind the old "game development is hard guys ... you don't know about it so stop criticizing it" No screw that noise.... those patch notes are wack and Capcom shouldn't be celebrated for taking 2+ years to finally release an unfinished game.

And before anyone comes in with the "bbbbbbut Japanese developers like to post vague patch notes so that people discover stuff themselves!" let me just remind people that we live in the year 2018 now.

Last edited:

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Capcom has done most of those things lol

They have done a PTR (well not a true PTR) before when I think ED was coming out to test CFN changes, and they have put in developer's commentary on why they changed things in Season 2.5 notes. Idk what goes through their head as a company but they've done a lot these great things they just either never do them consistently or do them once and never do it again. I mean even in the Marvel notes theres mentions of hitbox/hurtbox changes and it simply states increases and decreases. Killer Instinct has some similar patch notes to the HOTS. GG Rev 2 notes were released but had to be translated by the community into English.

My point is... Im not really sure. It should be better you're right, but different companies do different things. All you can really do is say thanks for the patch notes given and suggest that they make them better in whatever form of feedback they take. I definitely do see a difference in how US developers deal with patch notes compared to Japanese developers though.

MachGao

Oct 28, 2017
So, is it just me, or did anyone else kinda notice how "DBFighterZ will kill Marvel" switched to "DBFighterZ will destroy Street Fighter 5!".

I kinda wonder if people posting that type of stuff online realize that the games can and most likely will co-exist due to how different they are. The "One Fighting Game to Rule Them ALL" idea was never my kind of thing personally. I'd rather all fighters have sizable communities but it feels like people focus more on shitting on the game they hate than building up the community for the one they like.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
So, is it just me, or did anyone else kinda notice how "DBFighterZ will kill Marvel" switched to "DBFighterZ will destroy Street Fighter 5!".

I kinda wonder if people posting that type of stuff online realize that the games can and most likely will co-exist due to how different they are. The "One Fighting Game to Rule Them ALL" idea was never my kind of thing personally. I'd rather all fighters have sizable communities but it feels like people focus more on shitting on the game they hate than building up the community for the one they like.
Agreed. Honestly I think its MVC2/MVC3 fans will kill MVCI honestly. Folks are too busy focusing on what it wont let them do than what it will and I think its nostalgia for the 3v3 assist tactics, setups, and ability to fill the screen with trash thats gettin in the way of the game more than anything its actually doing.

I hope all 3 games make it and coexist and grow. It'd make for some great tournaments to have 3 super stars dominating like that, but its up to their communities to actually stop badmouthing themselves and just go back to playing. It doesn't help that most discussion and technical debate and praise is relegated to private discords now though. Without centralized public forums a lot of "word of mouth" is completely invisible so a lot of the good things that get said never get heard.

MadeMan

Dec 3, 2017
Sydney, Australia

Haven't seen that yet, but it is a strange one. I never thought of DBZ competing with SFV.

I also agree I want every game to have a community and scene. I'm quite lucky that Sydney FGC seems to have a great variety of games available at every monthly.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

They don't realize it. They want whatever their fave is to win at everything.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Garbage patch notes in general and not really that different from the original leaked patch notes. Almost used the same wording too.

People ask why fighting games aren't as big as other genres... it's because the leader in competitive fighting games puts up patch notes like that. This is probably dramatic and hyperbole but it represents a microcosm of the fundamental flaws in how fighting games are handled.

Dudes getting hyped over in-game feature that shows positive/negative on block...features that were available in other games in the PS2 era...

This is a HOTS patch note that came out today (using this is a random example because it came out in the exact same time frame). HOTS is not the leading MOBA in the business when it comes to Esports like SFV is but check out the detail in the patch notes:

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21349574/heroes-of-the-storm-patch-notes-january-9-2018-1-9-2018

First of all they have PTRs and they highlight changes from PTR (fighting games still don't have running PTRs just a little FYI there). They have well formatted and indexed changes in different colors and heading. After each significant patch change there are developer notes on WHY THE HELL THEY MADE THE CHANGE TO BEGIN WITH so it doesn't come across as "we changed shit because balance or whatever." They have a separate section for bugs and fixes so you can tell what is a balance change and what is just a regular bug fix.

This is a criticism that anyone should make because posting patch notes is not difficult... it's something everyone in here could do. No one can hide behind the old "game development is hard guys ... you don't know about it so stop criticizing it" No screw that noise.... those patch notes are wack and Capcom shouldn't be celebrated for taking 2+ years to finally release an unfinished game.

And before anyone comes in with the "bbbbbbut Japanese developers like to post vague patch notes so that people discover stuff themselves!" let me just remind people that we live in the year 2018 now.
Japanese devs need some western guys in charge to light a fire in their asses and drag them to the 21st century.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I can't find the clip but Fchamp did mention that from what he'd heard the future in terms of competitive support ain't looking too hot for Marvel. Normally I wouldn't hold anything this dude says as absolute truth but it does make sense given how some top players have already set it as a side game.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
I can't find the clip but Fchamp did mention that from what he'd heard the future in terms of competitive support ain't looking too hot for Marvel. Normally I wouldn't hold anything this dude says as absolute truth but it does make sense given how some top players have already set it as a side game.
Actually hes reliable when it comes to this, he lives close to Combofiend and constantly speaks with him.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
The signs were always there. Biggest one is Yipes making the quickest turnaround I've ever seen in terms of someone packing their bags, saying goodbyes and leaving to start a new life somewhere else only to come back weeks later.

OP
OP
Karsticles

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The signs were always there. Biggest one is Yipes making the quickest turnaround I've ever seen in terms of someone packing their bags, saying goodbyes and leaving to start a new life somewhere else only to come back weeks later.
Poor Persia, too. She just landed that dream job of her life. I'm assuming she had to leave that behind when they moved.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Actually hes reliable when it comes to this, he lives close to Combofiend and constantly speaks with him.
Oh yea the guy that said he had a dream about a Marvel 3 patch.

The guy that shilled the hell of MVCI before it released and said that he is making SFV his side game and MVCI his main game (and then has switched around his stance since then).

Yeah that Filipino Champ guy. Also Combofiend isn't with Capcom anymore so he wouldn't really know Capcom's plans 1-2 years down the line. Not saying he doesn't know anything but let's at least wait for what Capcom has to say after AE releases.

In any case, if true, Flux/RayRay quitting MVCI is a bigger deal. These players pretty much only have Marvel and if they aren't playing the game either then it's a bad look for sure. Players like FChamp can at least go to another game. Or these two might also be jumping on the DBZ bandwagon.