[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
HA!!! Nephew wins!! Kolin!! Respect tha Queen!! *All the Kolin players from across the globe collectively claps*

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is it true MVC:I* is getting shut down on october 2018? atleast that's what people in youtube is talking about.

EDIT: I thought I posted on MvC thread.

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is still a good idea to buy a MC Ctulhu? I found someone in eBay selling one and the price isn't that bad. What you guys think?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tokido just won EVO and he is still good at multiple games. Probably would be #4 on that list.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
Fuudo is the name missing on these lists, IMO. He's managed to win national championships in games as diverse as SF4, VF5, and Gunslinger Stratos (he's even a Kaidan ranked Beatmania IIDX player)... and even today he's one of the top SF5 players in the world (it feels like he's come in 2nd in about 35644363434 Premier events).

Not that any of the names that have come up are bad per se, but that's something almost no one else has done (unless you want to go back to the bad old days where Alex Valle won TTT1 Nationals).

Nov 2, 2017
But not internationally though. Hart's always been strong in the UK, forever, but never internationally and largely in one domain (3D Fighters). You could make an argument for Hart quantitatively but qualifying him as strictly more "impressive"? That's ludicrous. He just doesn't have the international presence Tokido and Daigo have, in the right games.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Hart won plenty of international SF tournaments in SF4 and SF5. Saying he only did well in Europe is false. He even placed higher than Daigo in CPT2014 along with defeating him in SSF4. Daigo also wasn't the only person able to steal JWong's soul in 3S. Ryan Hart has won a KOF tournament in Japan in the past. And this is before even going into details about the legendary feats he's accomplished in 3D fighters. The sheer breadth of games Ryan Hart was a champion in is a far greater accomplishment over what Daigo has achieved IMO.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Daigo has also won multiple times in SF4, Guilty Gear, and third strike. He's also typically more consistent than Hart has ever been. Hart plays maybe 2 more games than Daigo ever has, let's not inflate that into something more than it is.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Champion in SF4, Tekken Tag 1, Tekken 5DR, Tekken 6, 3S, VF4Evo, VF5, KOF98 > Champion in SF2, 3S, SF4, SF5, GGXX

when it comes to showcasing who's the top fighting game player of all time. Just "plays maybe 2 more games than Daigo ever has" isn't some frivolous statement like you're making it out to be.

Nov 2, 2017
Then you're going to have to composite some kind of list of those international tournaments and compare and contrast them if you want anyone to take you seriously. I never said he only did well in Europe I said that's where he's done most of his damage. Plenty of people have beaten Daigo in tournament at this point. My unborn seed has probably beaten Daigo in tournament at this point.

Fact is, Daigo helped breath life into a niche competitive scene and his popularity can be accredited in helping revive the SF series, which is the modern face of the competitive fighting game community.

Again, you can talk about Ryan Hart winning lots of stuff in comparison, but his degree of influence on the actual culture of the community is next to nothing in comparison to Tokido and especially Daigo. This isn't even debatable. You sound ridiculous.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are we discussing players who had the most social influence or are we talking about the best fighting game player of all time in terms of skill?

If it's the former, then yeah I agree Daigo is more influential than anyone else in the history of the fighting game scene. But that doesn't make him the better fighting game player.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Hart is a very good player, let's not get it twisted. The numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice

But most of his strong play is in Europe. He's strong but not a large presence in North America or Japan.

Posts a link only talking about Street Fighter and a Tekken released after he stopped competing professionally. Have you been ignoring everything I've been saying previously or are performances of fighting games released before 2009 not a part of this discussion?

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Did Ryan Hart ever win SFV anywhere? Daigo is still relevant even with all he has on his plate right now. Ryan as much as I like him hasn't done anything in well over a year. In fact he's a nobody right now in any of the games.

Said it before if you are talking about history as a whole, as of right now It's Justin and Tokido as all time. Sonicfox has the potential to surpass everyone.

Nov 2, 2017
Now you've got the goal posts on ice. I've already made the very clear statement that if you consider Ryan Hart a better player quantitatively, then there might be an argument you can possibly make. So the onus is on you to provide convincing evidence. But you initially used qualitative phrasing ("impressive") that doesn't allow Hart to stand any semblance of a chance by just about any subjective measure.

I still consider your implied quantitive objective claim dubious (Ryan Hart wins more tournaments, against better players, in more games - let me know if I'm misrepresenting you here), but I'm open to being wrong, because this isn't something I've been particularly invested in. I haven't followed Hart that closely over the years. Back it up.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Posts a link only talking about Street Fighter and a Tekken released after he stopped competing professionally. Have you been ignoring everything I've been saying previously or are performances of fighting games released before 2009 not a part of this discussion?
Well if you knock it off with the moving target maybe we could get somewhere. You mentioned Hart won in a bunch of games, I mentioned Daigo did too. Then I posted some of his tournament records to show that he's not as good as Daigo (despite admitting Hart is a very strong player) and now here we are. Please frame your argument better than "he played more games than Daigo, therefore he's better."

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care enough to sit for hours and chronicle the 1000's of tournaments and tabulate everything for the sake of an internet argument. If you think a consistent champion of a very specific game like SF is a more "impressive" feat in terms of fighting game skill over someone who is a simultaneous champion in a 2D game like SF AND 3D with the likes of Tekken/VF then that's where I'm going to agree to disagree here.

Well if you knock it off with the moving target maybe we could get somewhere. You mentioned Hart won in a bunch of games, I mentioned Daigo did too. Then I posted some of his tournament records to show that he's not as good as Daigo (despite admitting Hart is a very strong player) and now here we are. Please frame your argument better than "he played more games than Daigo, therefore he's better."

Except all that shows is Daigo is better at 1 specific game when I thought the discussion from the very beginning was about the best fighting game player... not Street Fighter player. I wasn't the one moving goal posts there.

Nov 2, 2017
I actually think the better player is the one that competes in the most competitive game (in terms of numbers) displaying the most varied competitive pool of players.

But that's just me.

That game in the past 8-9 years has been Street Fighter. How many Top 8 EVO placings does Hart have in that game since 2009? Can we start there?

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
When was Ryan ever a champion in SF? Daigo won EVOs, he won SBOs, and he was a top player in many games. He didn't get the title of one of the Japanese Gods for nothing. In order to even be given that title you had to be top tier in many fighting games.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, this discussion is more of a question of why Ryan Hart isn't spoken about more than he is given his past achievements, Daigo-comparison aside.

Nov 2, 2017
If anything, this discussion is more of a question of why Ryan Hart isn't spoken about more than he is given his past achievements, Daigo-comparison aside.

This I agree with. I always found him to be curiously looked over and think it's because he doesn't travel outside the UK as much as he did when SF4 was at the height of its popularity. That, and 3D Fighters had a dip in popularity until T7, which I don't think he's competing in ATM.

Last edited: