• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
For Fox, and Heigl, it was a combination of being difficult to work AND having their films begin to bomb. You can be a total asshole to producers and directors but if your films make bank, you're untouchable (allegedly, this is how Tom Cruise is. If you're below the line he's nothing but professional and courteous to you. But if you're a producer/director, woah boy...).

Green mostly does shows and indie films now, and she's still getting roles, for now.
Reading about Fox now and wow, she has said some really oddball stuff to the media. Some of it offensive, some just very weird. I really only know her from Jennifer's Body and New Girl tho, I've never seen her blockbusters or the other smaller projects.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't "hard to work with" pretty much crater Megan Fox career for several years? I mean they'll both be fine, but Megan will never make what she could have if her star had continued to rise. An actress intentionally trying to get a film canceled is…like a pretty big issue. How many big name producers would take that chance when she's not even very talented?

She also got fired by the most powerful person in Hollywood off a billion dollar grossing franchise, that info probably spreads wider. She was back to leading another blockbuster franchise only a few years later anyways, plus as you note later she's a bit of a character so she's probably living a satisfied life.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Yes. All her behavior is relegated to texts and messages. And it's really tame. She compares herself to Cruella in one of them. Also, as others have pointed out, this seems to be an isolated incident with no prior history of this kind of behavior. Seems like she was tired of these producers she keeps railing against.
Glenn Close Cruella or Emma Stone Cruella?

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Really don't think the word peasant is all that bad considering people on this forum use words like idiot and moron on a daily basis to refer to people and even other members on this site lol, dunno why this thread is so caught up on it. and it was done in private conversation, not directed at them explicitly - how is that any different from any of us thinking similar of our colleagues lol

i'm german so maybe i'm unaware of some special cases of its usage but in general hearing peasant has always came off to me as the most softest insult you can do, like calling someone a depp in german

Last edited:

Ché

Oct 14, 2022
Ontario
It's tame in the grand scheme of things I guess, but mocking people of a lower status is pretty fuckin tacky. This is the pretentious version of "lol poors". She's a no talent piece of trash.
How does having no talent relate to her goodness as a person? She is obviously very talented as an actress, you can't retroactively deny someone's achievements or the "positive" that they've done when it turns out they're a shit person, or they committed a crime, or they're against you politically. Happens way too often on the web, it's not a "side" thing either, it's human nature

Someone in the thread likening Eva's attitude to people who treat service staff poorly crystallized the more harsh reactions to this for me. Eva may still be bookish, shy, generally a good person, having an off day etc. But what people find uncomfortable is that she may also think that she is fundamentally worth more than some people, and to most of us here, we are included in that out-group

There is a reactionary hostility towards such people from some of us (I feel such a way towards sociopaths, narcissists, and others with "empathy" problems). We have an animal instinct to harshly reject people who reveal they would probably let us die (being slightly hyperbolic) if it was convenient for them

Bokoblin

Banned
Sep 14, 2022
How does having no talent relate to her goodness as a person? She is obviously very talented as an actress, you can't retroactively deny someone's achievements or the "positive" that they've done when it turns out they're a shit person, or they committed a crime, or they're against you politically. Happens way too often on the web, it's not a "side" thing either, it's human nature

Someone in the thread likening Eva's attitude to people who treat service staff poorly crystallized the more harsh reactions to this for me. Eva may still be bookish, shy, generally a good person, having an off day etc. But what people find uncomfortable is that she may also think that she is fundamentally worth more than some people, and to most of us here, we are included in that out-group

There is a reactionary hostility towards such people from some of us (I feel such a way towards sociopaths, narcissists, and others with "empathy" problems). We have an animal instinct to harshly reject people who reveal they would probably let us die (being slightly hyperbolic) if it was convenient for them

+1

Oct 28, 2017
She called them peasants in a private conversation with her agent which makes this whole thing seem very tame to me.

Nobody in this thread has ever complained about their work colleagues in private, huh?

It's a bit tacky to comment like that about one's subordinates, especially when you're earning millions and they aren't. Even so, low on the totem pole of bad shit Hollywood types get up to.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
She said some not so nice things in private, that's not really unusual, isn't it?

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Oh please male actors who have said and done way more terrible things have gotten away. Obviously she said things impulsively but this company's claims are super sus. They claim to have shut down the film because they couldn't afford to pay for her crew? Surejan.gif

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems to me, based on what's written on the OP, that the peasants thing wasn't directed at specific people that she has met, and more to as a way to say that the producer was trying to save money on the crew and hiring cheaper local labour, instead of the crew she already knew and trusted.

Which seems fair enough a complain, albeit weird word choice.

Had she said "person X is a peasant and I'm above them" as some of you seem to be reading it I'd definitely have a different reaction, but... 🤷‍♀️

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Seems to me, based on what's written on the OP, that the peasants thing wasn't directed at specific people that she has met, and more to as a way to say that the producer was trying to save money on the crew and hiring cheaper local labour, instead of the crew she already knew and trusted.

Which seems fair enough a complain, albeit weird word choice.

Had she said "person X is a peasant and I'm above them" as some of you seem to be reading it I'd definitely have a different reaction, but... 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, that's my thinking. She is French so maybe her understanding of the word in English is lacking and she's using it be describe cheap labour, i.e. it's a dig at the producer/s rather than the actual crew.

Obviously I could be completely wrong and maybe she did mean it but it would seem to be a very weird choice of word in that case.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Really don't think the word peasant is all that bad considering people on this forum use words like idiot and moron on a daily basis to refer to people and even other members on this site lol, dunno why this thread is so caught up on it. and it was done in private conversation, not directed at them explicitly - how is that any different from any of us thinking similar of our colleagues lol

i'm german so maybe i'm unaware of some special cases of its usage but in general hearing peasant has always came off to me as the most softest insult you can do, like calling someone a depp in german

UK Era here - I think the thing that hits slightly differently for me with the word "peasant" is that it reminds me of a very British kind of sneering at the "lower classes" that I find particularly unpleasant. For me, the words "idiot" or "moron" (though they have their own peculiar etymology that some will find uncomfortable) land as insults tied to an individual and their behaviour, where "peasant" is more general and about where they happen to come from, which is not in their control.

i guess I'm simply comfortable with insulting someone based on how they behave and what they do, but not on something that is an accident of birth - it gives me the impression that someone thinks they're better than someone else simply by virtue of their accident of birth. So, Eva Green calling staff idiots, arseholes etc. is on one level for me, but her calling them peasants makes me give serious side-eye.

Oct 25, 2017
So...what is wrong with Hampshire for her to use it as an insult?

All the peasants, clearly.

Peasant is definitely not a common insult to pull out the bag, and I'd usually use it ironically. Can be just a personal thing that she and her friends or family use regularly. Hard to judge without knowing what she would usually use for insults. Don't hear too many people use cockwomble, but it's definitely a regular part of my vocabulary when I'm with friends.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
All the peasants, clearly.

Peasant is definitely not a common insult to pull out the bag, and I'd usually use it ironically. Can be just a personal thing that she and her friends or family use regularly. Hard to judge without knowing what she would usually use for insults. Don't hear too many people use cockwomble, but it's definitely a regular part of my vocabulary when I'm with friends.
So it's kinda like bat mouthing Florida or Ohio?

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
UK
So...what is wrong with Hampshire for her to use it as an insult?
Nothing.

21741stat.png

As you can see Hampshire has three major cities and a large town.

Basingstoke - Retirement town for the elderly.
Winchester - former capital with a younger demographic and nice historical sites
Portsmouth - Famous for its port and shopping centre and tower.
Southampton - A university city full of students, and a bit boring. Also has a port.

Plus, the New Forest National Park and South Downs with lots of small villages where quite a few millionaires live.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about that, chief. We use c**t as punctuation round our way. Unless it was said by someone like Jacob Rees Mogg, I think most people would let out a slightly confused laugh.

And I'd garner every brit in this thread has used variations of the word 'Chav' against fellow types of Brits.

Is that not looking down their nose at others? Peasant is at best slightly mirthful.

Jan 4, 2023
All I can picture is her in character as Vesper referring to people are peasants and it only makes me like her more to be honest.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Point of Comparison
All these people defending her saying that she called them peasants just as an insult, and she doesn't actually consider them inferior, replace 'peasant' with 'faggot' or 'retard' or any other discriminatory insult and let us know if your argument still applies and we should just let it slide.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
All these people defending her saying that she called them peasants just as an insult, and she doesn't actually consider them inferior, replace 'peasant' with 'faggot' or 'retard' or any other discriminatory insult and let us know if your argument still applies and we should just let it slide.

So let's pretend she said a slur instead? That makes total sense! /s

Utterly irrational argument. Saying 'peasant' is literally no worse than someone saying 'plebe.' In context, it doesn't mean she views X class of people as inherently inferior; it means she judged the skills of those hired as cheap/inadequate compared to her personal team whom she was advocating to get hired and paid what they're worth (which isn't a bad thing).

And considering what an apparent disaster the pre-production on this defunct movie was, she's probably correct on some level that the executive produces were incompetent and cutting corners.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

It's generally used more like wanker than any of those insults. But if she actually meant it in the class way then it's not cool at all.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which can also be unacceptable, as my MP found out (see plebgate). Calling a group of people peasants is a derogatory, classist, insult.

Sorry, but I really don't get the bending over backwards to put a positive spin on what she said.

Coming from an MP (Tory, I suspect?) it hits different. Not quite the same context.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So let's pretend she said a slur instead? That makes total sense! /s

Utterly irrational argument. Saying 'peasant' is literally no worse than someone saying 'plebe.' In context, it doesn't mean she views X class of people as inherently inferior; it means she judged the skills of those hired as cheap/inadequate compared to her personal team whom she was advocating to get hired and paid what they're worth (which isn't a bad thing).

And considering what an apparent disaster the pre-production on this defunct movie was, she's probably correct on some level that the executive produces were incompetent and cutting corners.

'Peasant' isn't a slur now? News to me. Peasantry was a class of people deemed as inferior to the higher classes who had all the money, made all the decisions, and had the peasants fight wars for them, all while the peasants were working dusk to dawn and were slaves in everything but name. Calling someone a peasant is equivalent to calling them an inferior human being. Neither you nor I can know what she meant by that word, but by using it she showed that her private vocabulary of insults includes it. This is what I meant by replacing it with a slur and checking if it works. It doesn't mean what she meant. What she said is what matters.

Multiple times here I've seen people asking not to use words like 'imbecile' or 'moron' because they are discriminatory against people with learning disabilities. I agree with it, however the words were also initially just describing a type of a person. Does that mean they are okay to use?

Which can also be unacceptable, as my MP found out (see plebgate). Calling a group of people peasants is a derogatory, classist, insult.

Sorry, but I really don't get the bending over backwards to put a positive spin on what she said.

Exactly. The only acceptable context to use this word in is when you're impersonating/mocking an elitist asshole. Using it unironically just means you're an elitist asshole.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Ableist Rhetoric
What's the big deal? Everything she said was private and I don't see anything strange in her demands. People reacting as if she was acting like Josh Trank during Fantastic Four or worse!

Calling someone a "peasant" as an insult, especially in the UK and Europe in general is hugely derogatory and doing so simply because you are unhappy with their work performance makes you a terrible person

doing it behind their backs makes you a cowardly terrible person

Stop being such a simpleton

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Hmm. Calling people peasants unironically certainly reeks of a mentality of feeling you're better than somebody because you're richer and more worldly. So, fuck her.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People can really see things differently but I personally find calling anyone peasants extremely fucking insulting and vile. Especially someone who also openly considers themselves bourgeois and is in a position of some power over whom they are describing. I'll be honest though, I've always disliked her; she just always seemed to be this type of person to me.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
?

Is this your whole post?

Yeah.

"I can't believe this no talent piece of trash called people peasants!", I said, unironically. "I'm a good person."

I'll have you know I've never insulted anyone behind their backs, ever! Now, when will those hack, lazy video game developers release that patch?

People can really see things differently but I personally find calling anyone peasants extremely fucking insulting and vile. Especially someone who also openly considers themselves bourgeois and is in a position of some power over whom they are describing. I'll be honest though, I've always disliked her; she just always seemed to be this type of person to me.

Lol, I've used that insult many times. You do realize the purpose of an insult, yes? So long as you're aren't being racist, sexist, or ableist, then an insult is typically fine. That someone is offended is a weird take since the purpose of an insult is to offend. This is also why we normally insult people behind their back, in private, amongst friends and colleagues. And not, you know, directly to their face.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
A series of her WhatsApp messages have been revealed to the court, in which she called executive producer Jake Seal "the devil" and "evil", and described the crew as "peasants".

Asked about her description of an "inexperienced, pretentious moron", she told the court on Monday: "I'm probably talking about [producer] Adam [Merrifield] at the time, but it was an emotional response, I felt betrayed."

She added that she had been "lied to" about the move of the production from Ireland to the UK.
Referring to another message describing two of the film-makers as "weak and stupid", she said: "It's my Frenchness coming out sometimes."

She added: "Sometimes you say things you don't actually mean. Of course they are not weak and stupid."

And asked about the reference to crew members as "peasants... from Hampshire", she said: "I have nothing against peasants.

"I didn't want to work with a sub-standard crew. I wanted to work with a high-quality crew who just wanted to be paid standard industry rates."
Ms Green said she withdrew after budget cuts forced filming to move from Ireland, and because of "chaotic" preparations and what she described as corner-cutting - such as an "extremely dangerous" reduction in her stunt training - and the crew being paid "significantly" below industry rates.

She said she would not make a "B-movie" because appearing in such a film "could kill my career".

"When an actor has appeared in a B-movie they are labelled as a B-actor, you never get offered quality work ever again", she added.
White Lantern has claimed "Ms Green's expectations for the film were incompatible with its budget", and that she was "repeatedly making unreasonable demands" about the crew, locations and equipment.

Max Mallin KC, for White Lantern, has also claimed that Ms Green had an "animosity" towards a vision for the film held by Mr Seal.
www.bbc.co.uk

Eva Green: Actress gives evidence in High Court over bitter film dispute

The French star is suing a film company in the High Court after their plans fell apart.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Reading this topic and then getting to the latest comments, yeah that sounds like what I thought this was and I find it fair. Simply put there is a difference in quality between a "Hollywood" tier production which she wants for the people who work closest to her and a local production company in an area that isn't an industry regular. As for who's at fault over the misunderstanding, well that's what this legal hullabaloo is all about. I'd say I'm curious to see who wins and loses but who am I kidding they're just going to settle at some point.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Well, she won the lawsuit...

news.sky.com

Former Bond girl Eva Green to get $1m fee after winning case over collapsed film

The actress says she's been vindicated and criticises the media for painting her as an example of "female hysteria" when in fact she was only ever passionate about making a high-quality film.

variety.com

Eva Green Wins Lawsuit Over ‘Career-Killing’ Movie ‘A Patriot’

Eva Green has won her lawsuit over the failed movie 'A Patriot.'

www.theguardian.com

Eva Green wins high court battle over collapse of sci-fi film

Actor wins legal case against producers, with judge ruling she is entitled to million-dollar fee