Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
black_panther_film_era.png

Welcome:
Hello and welcome to the monthly FilmEra thread. The place to hang out and talk movies with fellow movie lovers.

Introducing Pick 3, get 3
After a successful beta-test in January, signups are now officially open! Sign up and get randomly matched with another poster and you get to pick 3 films that person has never watched, as they pick 3 films for you. Good opportunity to learn more about our posters and discover films you otherwise might not have! Just respond in the thread and tag Flow you want to join in.

ps We need a better name for this concept, don't be shy if you have an idea.

Where is the official Movie of the Year voting thread?
It is right here! Go vote now!

Thread rules:
1. Be nice, be civil, use common sense
2. Respect the opinions of other members, no matter how wrong they are
3. Use spoiler tags accordingly
4. Have fun, we're all here because we love movies

DO NOT just post the title of the movie you watched. It isn't conducive to the kind of discussion & communication we want to engender here, because it tells us nothing of you, the movie, the impact of the latter on the former. Post scores, descriptions, essays, poems, gifs, hashtags, whatever provides you the best outlet for personal expression, you unique little digital snowflake. - icarus-daedelus

Top 10 to see in February

Want to introduce yourself?
New to the FilmEra community? Let us know a bit about yourself:

1. What's your favorite Movie?
2. Who's your favorite director?
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
5. What's your favorite performance in film?

- Post your top 5 new viewings from the previous month!

Useful external links:
FilmEra Discord
Letterboxd
ICheckMovies
IMDb
Rotten Tomatoes
Metacritic

List of FilmEra users on letterboxd said:

If you want to be added to the list above, shoot me a PM and you'll be added.

Unsure of what to watch? Just ask for recommendations in here. We don't bite!

Last edited:

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Super excited for BP.

Pick three sign ups are open and end 2/9.
Basically everyone who signed up gets randomly matched with another poster and they have to pick 3 films that person has never watched. Good opportunity to learn more about our posters and other genres of films.

Pick threes will be featured on the site. If you haven't finished lasts month don't worry you have till the 9th

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think I've actually introduced myself in one of these threads, despite posting.

That's hard to answer. But I'll go with the 1933 pre-code Hollywood flickBaby Face. Documentary: Sherman's March (1986)

Equally difficult, right now it's Ernst Lubitsch.

Barbara Stanwyck

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Golden Age Hollywood drama and romantic comedy.

Couldn't name just one and claim it's my certain favorite.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Sweet, new thread! Definitely seeing BP, Annihilation, Mute, and Early Man this month. Count me in for the pick 3 thing as well!

Watching The Shape of Water tomorrow with my mother and brother, pretty excited for it.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Boy A

Saw this a few years back, watched it again. Paints a clear picture why Andrew Garfield became a thing, since this was his first, or one of his first real roles. Really sad movie.

Ask me Anything

This movie is fucked up in multiple ways. Like, it's the type of movie you become not sure what the intentions of the filmmakers were. Long story short its basically a really dark movie dressed up in a playful and light tone. And the last 5 minutes i was like 'wtf is happening'. Its actually pretty gross.

th

I Origins

For whatever reason this is still one of my favorite movies. Same folk that made Another Earth, this just has a lot of raw emotion combined with practical science, it makes a real nice mix. Never got enough love. Wonderful music score.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might as well do this too since I never got around to it on Discord or these threads.

I usually hate this question, but if I really had to pick: Jurassic Park (1993). It's mostly out of sentimentality from my childhood, but it was the film that made me believe for the first time in what the medium is truly capable of, even at such a young age.

For better or worse, it's Christopher Nolan. I really believe he's the Steven Spielberg of this generation given how diverse his portfolio is, yet still manages to maintain such a distinct style of his own. That and he always puts incredulous amounts of work and TLC to his filmography, even during his lows.

To name a few:
Oscar Isaac (lol)
Gary Oldman
Saoirse Ronan
Jessica Chastain
Daniel Day-Lewis
Ken Watanabe

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Sci-fi and Dramedy

Daniel Day Lewis as Daniel Plainview, forever and always.

Flow Put me down for Pick Threes as well

Batesity

Jan 18, 2018
Raiders of The Lost Ark
Denis Villeneuve
Emily Blunt, Amy Adams, Emma Stone, Harrison Ford and Leo
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
I don't really have one particular favourite, I'll watch anything really.
Emily Blunt, Sicario

My only issue with films is the fact that since I've started working at a Cinema, its kinda taken the enjoyment of going in to watch a film since it feels like going into work so most of the time I just try and wait for films and then buy them on iTunes.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
add me on your letterboxd list.
https://letterboxd.com/YungDisco/

also happy black history month. in honor of this everybody should skip Black Panther in theaters and support black owned media such as Boo 2: A Madea Halloween story, on BluRay and VOD now.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
1. What's your favorite Movie? - Lord of the Rings
2. Who's your favorite director? - David Fincher
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses? - Brad Pitt, Daniel Day-Lewis Tom Hanks/Natalie Portman, Kiera Knightly, Jessica Chastain
4. Favorite Genre(s)? - Dramas, Period Dramas mostly.
5. What's your favorite performance in film? - Tricky. It might be Tom Cruise in Magnolia.

I'm off to see The Phantom Thread tomorrow. Can't wait! PTA + DDL = Godly pairing.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
add me on your letterboxd list.
https://letterboxd.com/YungDisco/

also happy black history month. in honor of this everybody should skip Black Panther in theaters and support black owned media such as Boo 2: A Madea Halloween story, on BluRay and VOD now.
Don't listen to him.

People should clearly watch Undercover Brother. Truly the epitome of black cinema.

please don't listen to me even though I'm clearly joking

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I decided to see The Last Jedi a second time before it exits theaters here. I feel like it was a bridge in some ways from the look, feel, and energy of the prequels to the classic feel of the original trilogy. It didn't bother me. I think about how tens of millions of people younger than me pretty much only know Star Wars from the prequels, so it made sense to cater to them some as they truly put the trilogy to rest.

I also appreciated how they did things with Star Wars that no other film has. Time was always linear in Star Wars films, but this one had real flashbacks. Sure Rey saw the past in The Force Awakens, but it was via a vision while she was still there in the moment. The incorporation of slow motion, different kinds of angle work, genuine slapstick. And I loved how there was a continuous tension throughout and how they kept the viewer guessing. Rey's parentage made sense.
I have no problems with it. I guessed it a while back after rewatching her vision a few times in the previous film. She's a great juxtaposition to Vader, as his experiences being a slave drove him to the darkside while her life experiences mold her into someone good. It's refreshing that the hero isn't of some grand lineage - she's just a powerful Force user

Anyway, sorry for a TLJ post early in the new thread.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I properly introduced myself either, so let's go...

Depends a lot on my mood, but I'll go with Children of Men, just an amazing dystopian flick that I can watch over and over again.

Comedy: Edgar Wright or Taika Waititi
Drama: Paul Thomas Anderson or Denis Villeneuve
Animation: Hayao Miyazaki, Masaaki Yuasa or Michael Dudok de Wit
Weird shit: David Lynch

Gary Oldman
Daniel Day-Lewis
Ryan Gosling
Tilda Swinton
Naomi Watts
Isabelle Huppert

4. Favorite Genre(s)?

Drama(medy) and dystopian sci-fi

Uhm, this is too hard.

ZombAid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'll introduce myself as well, 'bout damn Time!

OldBoy by Park Chan-Wook

2a. Who's your favorite director still working?
Park Chan-Wook (I know, I'm cheating ;-)

2b. Who's your favorite director not working anymore?
Stanley Kubrick

Choi Min-Sik(I know, Iknow), Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tatsuya Nakadai, Toshirō Mifune, Song Kang-ho, Colin Farrell, Tilda Swinton

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Everything if it's good.
But if I watch a bad movie, it's never a Western, A WWII or a Sandal film, my least favorite three.

The stellar Performance of Kim Hwan-hee in The Wailing!
One, if not, THE best work of an actor this young, I've ever seen!
I'll keep an eye on her, I'm completely blown away by that Powerhouse-Performance!

Would love, if y'all add me @ Letterboxd.
https://letterboxd.com/zombaid/

And what the hell, had a busy 39 Movies last month, so three more can't hurt in February.
Flow, I want in on the Pick 3 please

Last edited:

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Personal favorite movie is Evil Dead 2
Sam Raimi, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, David Fincher, along with others.
Jake Gyllenhaal, Idris Elba, Karl Urban, Noomi Rapace
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
Horror, Comedy, Superheroes, Sci-Fi, I like anything but my favorite is Horror
Alec Baldwin's Always Be Closing speech in Glengarry Glen Ross. And:

The stellar Performance of Kim Hwan-hee in The Wailing!
One, if not, THE best work of an actor this young, I've ever seen!
I'll keep an eye on her, I'm completely blown away by that Powerhouse-Performance!

I would also add in Kim Su-an from Train to Busan, another child actor who excelled.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah so, January turned out to be a new record of mine, since I got around to watch 34 movies. And so it was harder to pick a top five watch but I managed and here they are.

Top 5 New Watch
1. There Will Be Blood
2. ‎Columbus
3. The Wolf of Wall Street
4. The Edge of Seventeen
5. The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Too 5 Best Rewatches:
1. Blade Runner 2049
2. The Shawshank Redemption
3. ‎Mad Max: Fury Road
4. ‎Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5. ‎Insidious

2001: A Space Odyssey and Mudbound are worth mentioning as well I feel. Mudbound especially surprised me, while 2001 had one of the best intros I've ever seen with it's orchestral music and simple but striking imagery.

For February I'll finally see my favorite childhood hero come alive in Black Panther, while I've been waiting almost a decade for Duncan Jones' Mute. I'm almost very much looking forward to Phantom Thread tomorrow. Other 2017 Oscar films like Darkest Hour, The Disaster Artist and Call Me By Your Name comes out as well. Not to mention Alex Garland's Annihilation and Netflix's show Altered Carbon. Truly a great month for films.

ZombAid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I would also add in Kim Su-an from Train to Busan, another child actor who excelled.

Well, it's called favorite not favorites ;-)
But you're absolutely right, a very chilling and grounded performance.
Big tear up at the end was very impressive.
Another one in that category, if we're already at Child actors: Brooklynn Prince in The Florida Project.... Just WOW!

ZombAid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You won't regret. I will love you guys long time <3
Next up for me is The Shape of Water on the 5th. Kinda expect to be disappointed, dunno. Maybe because Phantom Thread suprised me in the it spoke to me, so I'm expecting something negative next :P

Please don't, it's wonderful!
Second best del Toro after Pan's labyrinth for me.

My January5:

Top 5 New Watch
Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer
Your Name.
Paths of Glory
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Top 5 Re-Watch
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Sword of Doom
Blade Runner 2049
Arrival
mother!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Divius

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Divius has logged 23 entries for films during January 2018.

TOP 5 NEW VIEWINGS OF JANUARY
5. All These Sleepless Nights
4. Drowning by Numbers
3. Bad Day at Black Rock
2. World of Tomorrow Episode Two: The Burden of Other People's Thoughts
1. Trust

MOST VALUABLE REWATCH OF JANUARY
I am surprised how much I liked Dunkirk on a rewatch, even though the audiovisual spectacle is less impressive than it was on the big screen.

WORST NEW VIEWING OF JANUARY
Nothing really stood out. Good for me, I guess? The Man from Earth: Holocene was a disappointment but I didn't hate it.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why not, let's do this - I'm more of a lurker, but I love these threads!

That's a very difficult decision, but I would pick Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's just a timeless movie for me. The sense of danger and adventure still works, it's so elegantly directed and I'm just a sucker for occult McGuffins.

Even though I haven't seen to many movies of him yet, it's Akria Kurosawa (at least atm) - It's amazing how he stages his shots. Edgar Wright is the more contemporary and completely different choice - the way he uses quick cuts to tell gags and a story is simply amazing. It's often copied, but I've not seen anyone getting close yet. I'd love to see him tackle different genres. It's also unbelievable how he tells the whole story in the beginning of his movies. Even Baby Driver does this, when Baby zapps through the TV programs.

That's very hard to answer. Harrison Ford is up there. Leslie Nielson is too. Both because they are heroes of my childhood, not because they are perfect in what they do or have the biggest range.

4. Favorite Genre(s)?
I love a good underdog. I love to find something in movies that is often overlooked. That's why I like some low budget B-Ventures that are quite often rough, but can also get pretty inventive in their direction despite a small budget. So Horror is on that list, even if I didn't get to watch as much as I did in the past.

More recently it's both Tom Hardys and Charlize Therons performance in Mad Max: Fury Road.

I watched Paul Verhoevens 'Elle' a few days back and it's stuck with me since then. What a film! Very controversial and it reminded me of a movie that could've been made by Cronenberg back in the day. At least thematically.

Last edited:

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
My first thought about this film is that if it was made today, the cast of the Sopranos would star and Tarantino would direct. This is number three of my pick three and I have to say its a bit of a miss for me. There is excellent craft in its construction but overall it just didn't work terribly well for me.

The good. Looking at the cast, I have no idea who any of these people are but they did a fantastic job and this is a very visually appealing film. I loved the style it has. Sometimes there is film grain and sometimes there is an amazing sharpness to the images. Honestly there are times where this feels quite modern. Amazing that a film nearly as old as I am can still look like it rolled into the theater recently.

The bad. For me this story just meandered a bit, but I have a feeling this will be like every other classic and stick with me somehow. There was a point in thinking about my review that I was trying to figure out how to describe the story and the word boring came to mind but I immediately rejected it. This isn't boring at all. It's a very methodical film which I can appreciate. For some reason its telling just left me a bit flat.

The indifferent. I watched the directors cut since it was a little shorter and I wanted to get my Monster Hunter on so maybe the full cut irons some of my issues out. Maybe one day I will revisit that version. I think this is definitely worth a rewatch at least once.

thekillingofachinesebookie.png

Top Five New Watches (no particular order):
-Molly's Game
-Raw
-Super Dark Times
-Lucky
-Ingrid Goes West

Most Valuable Rewatch: Dunkirk

The "Fuck This Thing in Particular" Award for Exemplary Awfulness: Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill!

A light January for me due to the big trip, but I'll be making it up in February big time, especially at the end of the month when Regal does their best picture showcase that I'll be hitting up for all my $35 is worth there.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I writing down all the people down for pick 3 so don't worry you won't be missed.

I am trying to do a " top 10 romance films of the 21st century" or sonething like that so let's get some voting done on that. This is for the Valentine special being featured on Film Era.

My picks so far:

In the mood for love

her

blue valentine

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Fifty Shades Freed in the Top 10 to See I dunno about that. Decent month, already got my Panther tickets, will def be seeing Annihilation and Mute.

I writing down all the people down for pick 3 so don't worry you won't be missed.

I am trying to do a " top 10 romance films of the 21st century" or sonething like that so let's get some voting done on that. This is for the Valentine special being featured on Film Era.

My picks so far:

In the mood for love

her

blue valentine

Before Midnight.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
My January, interesting every thing here was a first time watch. Don't think i've ever managed that before.

02 Dunkirk
04 Handsome: A Netflix Mystery Movie
06 Get Shorty
07 After the Storm
10 The Tiger: An Old Hunters Tale
12 Blade of the Immortal
17 Logan Lucky
18 Get Out
24 Being John Malkovich
30 Stray Dog
31 The Bad Sleep Well

Pretty decent month for me. I enjoyed Stray Dog the most. After the Storm, Bad Sleep Well, Tiger, Get Out, John Malkovich were all great.

Dunkirk was alright, a little disappointing. Handsome was whatever same with Get Shorty.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 new watches of January:
1. Phantom Thread
2. Call Me By Your Name
3. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
4. Master and Commander
5. Lady Bird

Best Rewatch:
Die Hard

My picks so far:

In the mood for love

her

blue valentine

In the Mood for Love
Phantom Thread
The Handmaiden
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Punch Drunk Love
The New World
The Best of Youth (does this count?)
Call Me By Your Name
Carol
Blue Valentine

Honorable mentions:
Her
Thirst
The Immigrant

I'm also in for Pick 3

Last edited:

ZombAid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
top 5 romance films of the 21st century
Her
The Handmaiden
Memories of Matsuko
(500) Days of Summer
Your Name.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Top New Watches of January
1. Mudbound
2. The Transfiguration
3. Point Blank
4. The Place Beyond The Pines
5. Jackie Brown
6. Hellraiser

Top Rewatches of January
1. Mad Max Fury Road
2. Brawl In Cell Block 99
3. Akira
4. Good Time
5. Ronin
6. Heat
7. Fargo
8. Bone Tomahawk

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Oct 26, 2017
Relatively light month for me in January. 9 movies watched but only 6 were new. Top 3 new:

1. Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

2. Bridge of Spies (2015)

3. Free State of Jones (2016)

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phantom Thread.

The last ever Daniel Day Lewis film is also PTA's best. A movie that will surprise you because there's humour in this which is really quite funny - but you could never tell from the trailer. Very wry, dry , somewhat subversiveand superbly acted by all. Phantom Thread also has a surprising third Act that again, the trailer never hints at. Gorgeous, languid and curiously dark. What's great about DDL in this are Anderson's facial ticks and grimaces and there's a late movie scene where he's wholely exasperated and its sublime. You'll never think about toast and butter the same way again. Probably just nudge Itonya off my movie of the year. This was perfect.

10/10

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
January's Top Rewatch:
Silence
Blade Runner 2049

January's New Top 5:
1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
2. Call me By Your Name
3. Le Samourai
4. I, Tonya
5. Lady Bird

Worst watches:
The Admiral: Roaring Currents
mother!

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Please allow me to introduce myself , I'm a man of wealth and taste.
Well thats hardly accurate, but here goes :

Oof that is hard to choose . If you point a gun to my head... first of all know i lied about the wealth part, second of all : fav movie will be... a tie between Braindead ( 1992) and Halfon hill dose't answer (1976)

Again , hard to chose . Will probably go with the very very original answer which im sure I and only I gave - Steven Spielberg . Just by both volume and quality of work , and influence on my childhood. Also , in the future people will re-evaluate and be more appreciative of his more recent works I think .

Dont know. I guess.. Jeff Goldblum and John Goodman are always a nice surprise to find in a movie I didnt know they are in . I also always am glad to find actors and actresses from TV shows i watched pop up in movies even if they didnt really hit it big yet .

4. Favorite Genre(s)?

Horror , but I can enjoy a good movie of any kind .

Charlie Chaplin in The great dictator (1940)

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 watches in January

1) A Fantastic Woman
2) Under the Skin
3) Phantom Thread
4) 20th Century Women
5) The Thin Blue Line

One movie away from having my top 10 of 2017 locked down!

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
City of God **1/2
this movie thinks it's Rocket, the from-the-slums aspiring photographer who through the bad luck of being in the wrong place at any time captures horrifying images of gang warfare. it's actually the reporter at the paper who publishes Rocket's photos without asking first, requests he return to take more in exchange for slight pay, is blatantly pleased to be capturing violence in action, and—because Rocket can't go home after the publication and needs somewhere to stay—offers the likely decade-younger boy a bed and summarily takes his virginity.

somewhat entertaining though sure. Leandro Firmino, who plays Little Zé, sometimes digs a more human moment out of his cartoon character. but because it undercuts any possible political import while fracturing the narrative so much that you never get an intimate sense of any one character, it's nothing more than a flashy crime picture. really flashy. Fernando F. Croce, a critic who is Brazilian, wrote a great takedown where he paraphrases Robin Wood to say the movie clobbers the viewer over the head with style, and I would agree with that wholeheartedly.

Beverly Hills Ninja **
There are one or two laughs to be found here, but Dennis Dugan mostly turns Chris Farley's most grating qualities up to 11 or 12 then sits back to watch the sets smash into pieces. The reason I'll still defend something like Tommy Boy is that Farley plays the low-key moments there wonderfully, and reaches a deep well of pathos. This well is dry.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture **1/2
While Domnhall Gleeson and Will Forte are together this is decently funny. As it becomes more of a run-of-the-mill biopic the laughs peter out and the celebrity characters become tiring. The end revives it a little when the full function of the narrative device of an elderly Doug Kenney directly addressing the audience becomes clear:
Doug Kenney died at 33. At Kenney's funeral, Martin Mull-as-Doug and Will Forte-as-Doug interact, and it's a poignant, resonant moment. The younger Kenney is frozen in time, the older Kenney is what could never be. Forte-as-Doug confirms this is what's going on and remarks, "That's a choice." It is a choice, and the only enlivening choice David Wain and the writers make to wrench this from standard biopic formula.
Ultimately I'd rather have read a few vintage National Lampoons but this was ok.

Top 5 of January
5. Call Me by Your Name
4. Paddington
3. Bone Tomahawk
2. Carol
1. Phantom Thread

Best Rewatch: There was only one but it was plenty valuable. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping. Truly hysterical music mockumentary.

Least Valuable Player: I mean, I watched The Room this month. But Beverly Hills Ninja was near as bad. Depressing that that was the note Farley went out on.

My picks so far:

In the mood for love

her

blue valentine
if we were in last month do we need to re-register? if so consider this me signing up

and I'd nominate: Brooklyn, Before Sunset, Once, Tropical Malady

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Yea you have to signup every month because some people might not be interested in doing it again.

Damn Brooklyn is a good pick for best romance

Status
Not open for further replies.