• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game launched more unfinished?

• Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 285 44.3%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 359 55.7%

• Total voters

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More unfinished? Besides the last chapter, MGS V was the most polished game I've ever played.

Oct 26, 2017
MGSV at least had solid foundations. FFXV feels slapdash from minute one.

If the criteria is the ending, then FFXV is more complete. If the criteria is the full game, MGSV is.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I've been a huge MGS fan since my childhood, but I haven't played more than a few hours of MGSV and I pretty much decided that I will most likely never continue and finish it anyway, so could anyone give a short summary of what is missing in MGSV and how it ends? I keep hearing there's basically the whole last act missing? Does is just end or what? And why do you have to repeat missions later on? Sounds super silly.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? Theres no contest.

FFXV is finished, just that the story wasnt up to par.

MGSV had a third act that was held together by tape.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV felt more complete, despite being less "complete".
I think I know what you mean, and I agree.

MGSV feels very much like a complete game with a consistent vision, up until it just...ends.

FFXV has several visions of what it wanted to be, all very messily stitched together. There's some semblance of a complete picture through the first half of the story, and then it's just a pastiche of ideas the rest of the way.

FFXV has more of a complete story, but MGSV is a more complete game.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This shouldn't even be a question. Clearly it is MGSV. Some people might not have liked choices made in FFXV but it was a complete game. MGSV was literally missing a whole act that they didn't finish.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Metal Gear Solid V easily. As much as people harp on FFXV, it was a complete story from beginning to end on day 1. Everything they've added since then was extra stuff meant to flesh it all out a bit more or improve the weaker spots. Contrast this to MGSV, which is outright missing (and which is likely never going to get) a crucial Part 3.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
FF XV patched in having a switchable party a year later, It feels like Accordo and other continents should have been explorable and not on rails. FFXIII sucked with its towns and XV took it to new lows (I don't care for 'it was intended to be that way')

MGSV felt like its story was unfinished but FFXV is another case of Square Enix releasing a game in shambles after having to release XIV twice.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V easily. As much as people harp on FFXV, it was a complete story from beginning to end on day 1. Everything they've added since then was extra stuff meant to flesh it all out a bit more or improve the weaker spots. Contrast this to MGSV, which is outright missing (and which is likely never going to get) a crucial Part 3.

Nope. You had to hold your nose through Kingsglaive to understand most things about Insomnia and what is even happening in the world. They even try to splice certain scenes directly from that movie into the game.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV feels less complete. It's just a mediocre game that's padded to hell. It needs a complete overhaul.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
MGV is a game lacking the story's ending with superb gameplay.

FFXV is a game lacking story's beginning, middle and ending with serviceable gameplay.

There are big differences between them and MGSV even lacking is a masterpiece.

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V by a long mile.

Final Fantasy XV had a plethora of cutscenes, character interactions, areas to explore, things to do, the list goes on.

Metal Gear Solid V while having more refined gameplay, I felt bored with it after five hours and have pretty much never gone back because it's just you doing random tasks in the desert that have no meaning or effect. That's pretty much the end all of what MGSV is.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the unfinished nature of MGSV and what happened to PT are the greatest sins committed against gaming. Nobody expected FFXV to be finished so the expectations were low, but MGSV hits where it hurts. If I had known the series was going to end on such a gameplay high right before a cancerous plot low, I would have never paid attention to the fact it was announced.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
People are being very generous about the completeness of FFXV, particularly the plot. Sure, there's an ending -- but what about everything leading up to that?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
People are being very generous about the completeness of FFXV, particularly the plot. Sure, there's an ending -- but what about everything leading up to that?

Sometimes I feel like an ending is enough to forget about all the massive gaps and the tedious parts of the game that are unfulfilling like chapter 13. Insomnia was the most disappointing thing ever at launch too. Even if MGS5 doesn't have a satisfying ending, the final OKB Zero mission is a dream to play.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat it before anything was added on and the hyperbole about stuff missing wasn't as bad. yes the stuff they have added has improved it but the story wasn't unfinished. it made enough sense.
FF XV patched in having a switchable party a year later, It feels like Accordo and other continents should have been explorable and not on rails. FFXIII sucked with its towns and XV took it to new lows (I don't care for 'it was intended to be that way')

MGSV felt like its story was unfinished but FFXV is another case of Square Enix releasing a game in shambles after having to release XIV twice.
Still doesn't mean the game was in shambles. the hyperbole from some people regarding ffxv is insane.

It's FFXV and it's not even close. FFXV is a god awful game that feels unfinished in almost every aspect. MGSV's controls are a masterpiece and the game runs smooth as butter.
MGSV is incredible but the unfinished ending doesn't help game even if the rest of it was good.. FFXV is a great game and it was still great at launch and now it's even better.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
This is coming from a huge Phantom Pain fan, but my choice is undoubtedly MGSV. FFXV was rough around the edges, but felt like the more complete and finished game of the two.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV obviously. Gameplay couldn't save it from being completely underwhelming

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I beat it before anything was added on and the hyperbole about stuff missing wasn't as bad. yes the stuff they have added has improved it but the story wasn't unfinished. it made enough sense.
Still doesn't mean the game was in shambles. the hyperbole from some people regarding ffxv is insane.

MGSV is incredible but the unfinished ending doesn't help game even if the rest of it was good.. FFXV is a great game and it was still great at launch and now it's even better.

FFXV's gameplay is terrible, its story a complete clusterfuck, and it runs like shit. Nothing about it is a great game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
MGSV. FFXV might have some cutscenes missing, but at least it has a goddamn ending. MGSV doesn't even have that.

Nov 1, 2017
I'd say Final Fantasy XV. MGSV tells a complete story, starting with revenge against Skullface, and concluding with Venom's true identity revealed. It feels unsatisfying because it teases much more, but what's there gave me at least 100 hours of entertainment.

Final Fantasy XV completely botched its storytelling, which is such an integral part of the franchise. The first half of the game is meandering and relatively aimless. The impact of most of the plot twists is completely muted by the lackluster delivery. The second half had a lot more promise, with the party traveling to lots of new regions. However, every event and location is rushed through. The game frequently recalls events rather than showing them happen, and comes across as very rushed and sloppy. The second half of the game could have been great if it didn't keep fading to black between scenes/chapters, and implying conversations.

The chapter structure in modern FF seems to be a crutch the writers use to avoid having to actually write a cohesive and organic narrative. It's easier to segment the mood of each character into each character to fake character progression, than actually write out these changes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is coming from a huge Phantom Pain fan, but my choice is undoubtedly MGSV. FFXV was rough around the edges, but felt like the more complete and finished game of the two.

Yeah, this is how I feel. I love MGSV's gameplay, but my god that game is just a slash job as far as content completion goes. Which is insane when you consider how long it is.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MGSV is missing it's ending.

FFXV is missing it's beginning.

MGSV at least delivered a lot of what fans wanted gameplay wise so i'd say FFXV was more unfinished.

Yabab

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I've come to the conclusion I can't really consider MGSV unfinished when it's designed by Kojima and Phantom Pain is the subtitle.

In the original game, without patches...

* Quiet leaves you forever.
* Eli runs away and is dealt with off-screen.
* Skullface dies without a fight
* Ocelot has been double crossing you all along
* Your identity was stolen from you.

The game is designed to make you feel something missing. It achieved its goal gloriously.

FFXV takes the cake. But it also takes the cake as an example of how a single player game should be treated post launch.

Wish MGSV had that.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV was much more polished. It was missing some story stuff including Chapter 3 but FFXV was full of holes and half-baked scenarios that they fixed or are fixing.

Oddly enough, I felt satisfied after I finished both games.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
I won't vote since I didn't play MGSV but wow, I'm surprised reading the comments that something can actually be worse than FFXV. Like, honestly, FFXV is just 25% of a game, I can't see how it gets to be worse than this lol Konami probably screwed up huge.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so I've been a huge MGS fan since my childhood, but I haven't played more than a few hours of MGSV and I pretty much decided that I will most likely never continue and finish it anyway, so could anyone give a short summary of what is missing in MGSV and how it ends? I keep hearing there's basically the whole last act missing? Does is just end or what? And why do you have to repeat missions later on? Sounds super silly.
The game's main plot ends about 2/3rds in, which is only the first chapter. Then Chapter 2 begins and it's more like a string of post-game sidequests that have no closure on some plot points that were left open from the previous chapter. Then the game ends.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
It's completely missing any kind of buildup or climax to the ending, the final mission just kind of unlocks after doing the requisite number of side ops and story missions and it's a repeat of the first mission with an added epilogue.

The cut act/mission was basically something that would have wrapped up Liquid's part in the game's story, but they kept in all the cutscenes leading up to it so you end up with a game that has a bunch of plot points and cliffhangers that go nowhere and an ending that comes out of nowhere with zero buildup.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Nothing about his post was true.
"Gameplay is terrible": check... it is serviceable being generous... hold x to win.

"its story a complete clusterfuck": there is basically no story in the main quest and you need or fill the gaps with your imagination or watch dozen of external media to fill a bit and imagine the rest.

"run like shit": check... DF confirmed that.

What is not true about his post? Hyperbole is somebody trying to say FFXV story is good, the gameplay is great and it has flawless performace.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The game's main plot ends about 2/3rds in, which is only the first chapter. Then Chapter 2 begins and it's more like a string of post-game sidequests that have no closure on some plot points that were left open from the previous chapter. Then the game ends.
It's completely missing any kind of buildup or climax to the ending, the final mission just kind of unlocks after doing the requisite number of side ops and story missions and it's a repeat of the first mission with an added epilogue.

The cut act/mission was basically something that would have wrapped up Liquid's part in the game's story, but they kept in all the cutscenes leading up to it so you end up with a game that has a bunch of plot points and cliffhangers that go nowhere and an ending that comes out of nowhere with zero buildup.
Uhhh, okay. That sounds wack. Thanks for the summary!

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
FFXV is a very flimsy hodgepodge of ideas from various incarnations of the project, slapped together in 2 years. Corners are cut all over the place but I feel like the director fulfilled his rescue mission, they released something passable.

MGSV was shat into the marketplace a year before it was ready. It's not a complete product, it's blindingly obvious that Konami eventually said "we aren't spending another dime" and just released what was finished up to that point. I doubt Kojima is proud of the final product.

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV is mostly complete up until it just sort of stops, 15 had holes in it, like noticable gaps in content. 15 is much more of a mess.

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
MGSV.
XV was sure lacking in a lot of aspects, but the story, although with its parts that had to be filled later, still had it's clear beginning and clear ending. I really can't say the same about MGSV, there is a reason Chapter 3 became a meme.

I didn't have to read further than the first post, MGSV for me as well. It still is such a bummer in my gut when I see it anywhere due to the way that series wrapped up. Ugh typing this now still hurts thinking about that game and all the damn micro managing and forced timers... Chapter 3.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh, okay. That sounds wack. Thanks for the summary!

Important thing to note: most of the second half stuff in MGSV involves replaying old missions you've already done before but with alternate rules. So it's basically like you finish the first half and the second half is a greatest hits reel of the first half all over again and then there's a cutscene about Quiet and it's over. It's really weird.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFXV.

At least the gameplay of MGS was perfect. Framerate and IQ as well. The game is lacking proper direction and has no real conclusion but up until that I had a blast.