• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I started the game about a week or so ago to coincide with the DLC and I'm glad that the full game will be even better in a couple days. I'm honestly having a great time with it but I understand how being literally a linear action game with extremely minimal traditional FF elements would rub a lot of people wrong. Probably would have made my top 10 for 2023 if I played it then!

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
The Skill Set feature made me decide to wait for the update before jumping back in to finish my New Game+ run.

A real game changer for me that constantly adjusted my ability and accessory loadout depending what I was fighting.

New Game+ and Ultimaniac will make you consider what you are using against what enemy.

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
Still annoying. Should have went away after a mission or two.

Yeah. I liked the lighting in the game, I thought the different quality of light in the different areas of the game before that event really added to the character of them. But then it's taken away when the whole world is finally opened up to explore around and do sidequests? It's annoying.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
If you think FF16 is too easy I highly recommend only playing with one armor slot. It's perfectly doable, doesn't reduce your attack, just makes enemies hit a little harder. It's weirdly balanced to like a slightly harder than normal difficulty.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
How much content the new DLC will be? if its like 8 hours or so i might buy it. I just hate going back to games i finished, almost never buy these story DLCs no matter how much i liked the game, only exceptions were witcher 3, cyberpunk and bloodborne :D

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
How much content the new DLC will be? if its like 8 hours or so i might buy it. I just hate going back to games i finished, almost never buy these story DLCs no matter how much i liked the game, only exceptiond were witcher 3, cyberpunk and bloodborne :D
They said 10+ hrs for everything. Probably tack on a few more if you want to do that ultimate fight they're adding

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
How much content the new DLC will be? if its like 8 hours or so i might buy it. I just hate going back to games i finished, almost never buy these story DLCs no matter how much i liked the game, only exceptions were witcher 3, cyberpunk and bloodborne :D
Depends on if you bought the first DLC or not. The first DLC was a 2-3 hours long (really just some story and a dungeon), but the second DLC is supposed to be something like 8-10, so altogether I figure the whole thing would accumulate to about 11-14 hours.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to returning to this game, but I'll have to boot up my endgame save instead of my NG+ one since I haven't made it that far.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. This has to be the way going forward, and something we as gamers need to do more of. Just don't put up with it and reward them. Just wait it out. Or pass, and play something else.

ff16 was perfectly playable and enjoyable without these changes, these are changes made because of FAN feedback. You need people playing your game to offer ways to improve it sometimes and 16 is getting updated because people asked for things.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe they still don't let you skip mid-battle cutscenes. I think I had a very different gameplay experience from others because I just went for the no-hit medals as a first playthrough when I realized the game was too easy. Upping the stakes encouraged me to use different eikons, play differently, and sidestepped the whole refill potions issue.

But I cannot in good faith recommend anyone else do it because not being to skip some of those 5min+ worth cutscenes was asinine. Truly felt like a PS1 FF 🙃

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Oh, this update came early! Dope, I thought this would release on the day of Rising Tides. Some of these changes sound great too, gotta check em out.

*Edit*
Just saw that it was early patch notes, I'm a goof.

Last edited:

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
I feel like I'm out of step with a lot of people on this game. I do NOT think it needed to be made easier. You get so overpowered just by playing. If this patch had been "we made all your moves weaker but added more gear to let you customize yourself more", I'd be really excited. Oh well.
I haven't played XVI, but the overall impression I get is that people say the game is too easy because most enemies outside of boss fights aren't really threatening at all. Such tweaks would be more about getting through them faster to contribute towards improving the game's pacing, more than anything else. Issues with the enemy design would require a lot more work than tweaks to player strength, and attempts at that might make the game worse in unforeseen ways.

It's like how people are voicing displeasure with late game Dragon's Dogma 2 not only having low monster variety, but simultaneously having high encounter density highlighting that issue even more.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
The game is easy in that you don't die, but there is reward in build creation and execution. The difference in dps between a good player and a bad one is large in this game.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Piss filter still can't be removed? Literally the only thing I disliked about the game.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I like the balance changes on paper. I like that their approach is more on utility improvements and not just upwards numerical adjustments only. I'm excited to try out all the changes, especially with loadouts being available as well.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
Damn, hefty patch with some great updates. Really looking forward to the DLC now.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
Wouldn't it be wild if by finishing the Rising Tide DLC, Clive and company learn how Mysidia maintains its blue sky under Primogenesis and manages to spread it back to the rest of the world?

People would complain you need to pay for DLC to get the nice sky back, but honestly, I'd take it as a solution to the narrative issue they've created for themselves. Would also explain why its not a toggle. The devs seem so acutely aware of how much people dislike the purple filter, so much so that they marketed the DLC all around the clear skies.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
The demo for this was a real mixed bag for me. It felt so violent and sad. But with the changes they've been making and the DLC wrapping up, maybe I'll give it more of a real shot.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I haven't played XVI, but the overall impression I get is that people say the game is too easy because most enemies outside of boss fights aren't really threatening at all. Such tweaks would be more about getting through them faster to contribute towards improving the game's pacing, more than anything else. Issues with the enemy design would require a lot more work than tweaks to player strength, and attempts at that might make the game worse in unforeseen ways.

It's like how people are voicing displeasure with late game Dragon's Dogma 2 not only having low monster variety, but simultaneously having high encounter density highlighting that issue even more.
Nah the problem extends to the bosses too. The game is too easy overall, some bosses are just cool to fight regardless of that. But once you get the final set of abilities, nothing in the game lasts more than a few minutes at most, final boss included. And no fights really dragged, they barely lasted. There are many problems with the game's combat, including pacing and variety issues. But "I don't do enough damage" wasn't one of them.

ALXJ

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Feb 16, 2021
hype for the DLC for sure!! just installed it yesterday the game.
Will play both the DLC's on the 18 already, i'm excited

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
The buffs feel kind of... Strange? Are they buffs across the board? It's not like battles were that long anyway. If anything the game was too easy lol.

In the end, I don't know if they matter, since it's not gonna change the fact that the game is still "Tap the attack button to win"

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Loadiuts should have absolutely been there since launch. All those aoe skills had next to no purpose taking up a valuable slot when they were trash against bosses. Being able to finally use different stuff when fighting trash will freshen the experience alot because otherwise every fight started to feel the same because you were locked in

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Nowhere near as many changes as I was hoping but better than nothing. Guess performance mode framerate running at like 40-50FPS outside of battles will never be fixed either.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I mean technically it's somewhat true in that you could just do your basic Square combo over abd over and theoretically whittle down enemy health.

Pretty awful way to play though.

I mean that's technically true but wow that would be the worst way to play the game. Plus that describes about 90% of all RPGs.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
I was waiting the full release of the DLCs to replay the game.

I just kinda wish the Leviathan fight don't have deep sea realistic giant serpent swimming underwater around you because this probably will trigger my thalassophobia a little... Yeah I know it's a game, but makes me uncomfortable.

Looking forward to listen Forevermore again in the beautiful fields!

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sucks that there is no tweaks to the performance mode. Other than that a lot of those changes are pretty substantial