• Liked it

Votes: 397 66.3%
  • Didn’t like it

Votes: 202 33.7%

• Total voters

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I remember when it came out I thought that it was the most beautiful thing ever (in some shots), kinda meh in others, but overall it was OK, while also being very confussing.

The soundtrack was incredible though.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
The original release is garbage, the complete version is dumb fun as a standalone. The fight scenes are still incredible.

Wasn't a fan of the (almost) piano exclusive soundtrack, some of the baffling interactions between Loz and Yazoo and "dilly-dally shilly-shally" makes me physically sick to think about let alone listen to.

And what I hated was it kicking off the Compilation nonsense and for what it did to the characterisation of Cloud and Sephiroth.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I hated Advent Children. Felt like a shallow FFVII fanboy jerk off session. "Hey, you like Cloud and his big sword? Now he's got a sword made up of many swords! You like Sephiroth? Here's three angsty teen Sephiroths and Daddy Sephiroth at the end (with a KEWL "one wing"... GET IT?!!!)!! You like the Turks? Now Reno and Rude are back doing their comedic schtick like they are outta some 80s buddy cop movie!! Yeah, just because you defeated Sephiroth and Jenova at the end of FFVII doesn't mean they are gone. They'll NEVER BE GONE! N.E.V.E.R..."

I always said, they could've done something interesting regarding the end of FFVII. A power vacuum in the world of FFVII, a society dependant for decades on Shinra now plunged into a world without Mako energy. Class struggles between those that had it all prior to Meteor wanting to keep their place on the top of the heap and those who lived in the slums and sticks that now see it to be their chance to claim the power for themselves after such a humbling event. No Sephiroth, no Jenova, no Shinra, but remnants of Shinra's machines... Materia... research on the Cetra people (their knowledge and wisdom). A fight for the future while some are on the verge of repeating the sins of the past. I wanted THAT kinda sequel, in my mind, since late 1990s/early 00s. Funny enough, when I watched Arcane on Netflix, that's more aligned to what I envisioned out of my ideal FFVII sequel (setting-wise is totally different, but the spirit is similar).

Well, it could be worse. The film could've been 'Legend of the Crystals'.

iu
The concept of the Legend of the Crystals (the story) is more interesting than what they did with Advent Children (and eventually everything else in the FFVII Compilation), it was just beaten into generic, garden variety, stock 90s anime without the soul of its peers. Had they tweaked the story and art style (I didn't care for the art direction at all), it could've been pretty cool.
Keep the idea that Ra Devil killed Cid and stole his brain (and killed Mid, who is now a ghost). Work into the story the concept that the Ronka civilization originated from the Planet's moon (hence the city ruins there), which I don't know if it was made clear but I know it was a fan theory. Better character development, less fanservice (not like AC, but the tit & ass type of lecherous fanservice seen in Legend of the Crystals), a story that's more meatier... with more Uematsu-songs, Chocobo, location, and monster designs that resemble FFV's more, and there you go! At least it's not the "Further adventures of Bartz and the New Warriors of Dawn", and Exdeath and Gilgamesh are back.... well, BECAUSE!!!

Last edited:

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think it was possible to make a movie worse than The Spirits Within but I held Square in too high of a regard.

It's fan-service. It's what people wanted a FF7 remake to look like in movie form with an absurd plot and a completely style-over-substance presentation.

You'd think that many years later Square would have reconsider their stance with the Remake, but no.

It's terrible and not even in a "good terrible" kind of way and I wish it had been a fluke rather than a sign of what was to come from Squenix.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
movie felt cool and unreal at first, now it barely holds up aside for Cloud v Sephiroth

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
You should watch the extended version. The story makes a bit more sense, even if it's still confusing. Basically better than the standard cut.

Really love this movie and basically set the bar for what I expected from Final Fantasy and FF7R on a graphical and character standpoint.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
It was boring, an I'm including the "amazing fight scenes" in that cause they lacked impact. Everyone just a dumb punching bag who gets right up after a fight no harm done. Like ya that works for the games but for a movie it really fell flat to me.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
I loved it even though it was so boring lol
Reignited my love for vii
And I discovered the awesome song one winged angel

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I got some fun out of it when I first watched it shortly after its release. The film has some decent fights and good music; I'll give it that much.

However, I never cared much for some of the character redesigns (I never liked how Cloud, in particular, looks), and my opinion of the movie has lowered as I've thought about it in the years since. Some of the characterization (especially Cloud's) is quite bad and way off the mark from the characters as depicted in the game. The new characters are all poor additions. The fight scenes don't look as impressive as they used to, thanks to years of advancements in CGI animation. Lastly, the more I thought about it, the more I thought the ending of the original Final Fantasy VII should have remained ambiguous, and the movie's very existence as a sequel ruined the open-ended nature of the original ending.

Also, a disclaimer: I've never seen Advent Children Complete, so I dunno if it addresses any of my aforementioned issues.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
It will never be a memory.

I had it on UMD and man watching that 480p high ppi video on a psp 3000 with its nutty color gamut felt like the goddamn future.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Good fan service, but awful story and scene transitions.

It was nice to see everyone with 3D models at least.

The ending scene at the church was the best thing about it.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I remember watching it on like Google Video I think back when it came out before I had ever actually played the game. I remember liking it back then with my only other knowledge of the characters being through Kingdom Hearts. But when I watched Advent Children Complete after playing the game, I thought it was pretty fucking mediocre.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Thought it was fucking great, i appreciate it even more now because Square hasn't made anything else like it. Back in the day i was hoping they would make a sequel movie to FF8 or FFX but no dice.

Edit: Oh wait i forgot about Kingsglaive, but that movie feels strange because Noctis & the boys are not really in it, it feels like a spin off.

Jun 2, 2019
I watched it as a kid when my only exposure to the characters had been Kingdom Hearts 2.

I didn't understand a single thing about the plot, but I thought it was so badass! Cloud riding a motorbike, Cloud's many swords (he even DUAL WIELDED THEM), Tifa vs that guy at the church, everybody vs Bahamut, Cloud vs Sephiroth (I still listen to that version of One Winged Angel nowadays. I love both the guitars and the chorus!)...

I don't know if it aged well (maybe I should rewatch it), but I enjoyed it when it came out, even though I didn't understand anything at all, as I said before. I just thought I wished games looked like this.

And now they do! FF VII Remake was great and I can't wait for Part 2! Hopefully the 2023 rumours are true. I expected it to be a 2025 or perhaps even 2026 game.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
I watched an early bootleg with the most nonsensical fan subtitle translations. I'll never know the actual plot.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I saw it during a period of my life where anything even remotely anime was cool.

So yeah, it was the most badass thing I'd ever seen.

Those fond memories do a lot of work these days. But the fight scenes are still cool.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
The first time I watched it I had downloaded it on Limewire or something when it had just came out in Japan. It hadn't been dubbed to English by then so this was the first copy I found with subtitles.

Whoever did the subtitles for it basically made the entire story about Cloud leaving the garage door open or something and everyone was pissed at him, so for a while until I got a proper version that's what I thought it was.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
The first time I watched it I had downloaded it on Limewire or something when it had just came out in Japan. It hadn't been dubbed to English by then so this was the first copy I found with subtitles.

Whoever did the subtitles for it basically made the entire story about Cloud leaving the garage door open or something and everyone was pissed at him, so for a while until I got a proper version that's what I thought it was.

LOL

Must've been a better story than the one we got though xD

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't even bother with the original version anymore (though I keep my DVD set only because it has Last Order included), Advent Children Complete improves so much. And just to note, the 4K release is worth the upgrade over the blu-ray version.

My first time watching, I lost my shit seeing the new scenes during the final fight.

5075710b2596ae9889349129c8c4144d.gif

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
When it came out? I loved it. I was a kid who loved FFVII and didn't think I'd ever get a chance to see that world or those characters again, let alone in that kind of quality. It was fan-service and as a fan I was being serviced.

It doesn't hold up. By the time Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus were hitting the scene I was already growing sour on the whole "Compilation of FFVII" as I felt the story of the original was being lessened by all the silly additions and twists. The writing was also getting... worse. Much worse. Nowadays I see Advent Children as part of that same group of media that doesn't really capture what made the original work. None of the characters feel completely right, the plot is sillier, the dialogue is downright embarrassing. It's not good.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It came out when I was in 7th grade or something, watched it every day over the autumn school break. I thought it was the most wicked thing ever. I had not played the game.

Forced my friend to also watch it and he said he didn't understand any of it because I had fucked up and given him part 7.

PS5 version of FFVIIR has already surpassed it IMO
Easily, I just did the final boss on PS5 and it's easy to draw comparisons to the film, the game just looks insane. The only benefit the film has is offline rendering so there's zero aliasing.

Hopefully the DLC is as impressive.

Last edited:

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
While I was aware of Final Fantasy as a child and played a bit of it without understanding much it, but it was Advent Children that really ignited my love for the series. I don't know why exactly, but I was entranced by that movie and really started researching Final Fantasy and Square-Enix. That eventually got me into Kingdom Hearts and many many other games too.

You could say Advent Children started it all for me, which is so freaking bizarre because the movie is confusing as hell and I'd never even played FF VII back then. Still, it clicked with me and the rest is history.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Soundtrack was GOD TIER
STORY was all over the place
Fight scenes and battles are still fantastic
Dialogue is a Joke

Yup, i Loved it.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly as a pretty big ff7 fan I was hype as shit for all things ff7 related but then everything ff7 related ended up being shit. Including crisis core.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I watched an early bootleg with the most nonsensical fan subtitle translations. I'll never know the actual plot.
I think I may have watched the same one!

I later watched it properly and it didn't make much more sense.

The directors cut on blu-ray though, I think it added like 40 mins extra footage or something? That one was much better but still doesn't take it too far from mediocre IMO

Oct 30, 2017
Do you think next Final Fantasy 7 Remake episode, will be beautiful like Advent Children graphics?
The PS5 version is already more beautiful than the movie.

LMAO I soooo want to see that version now XD