CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

The video is about a month old, but I just found out about the project from PC Gamer.

www.pcgamer.com

Square Enix abandoned FF7 Crisis Core to the PSP, so these fans are making an HD remaster themselves

The upscale project overhauls more than 5000 textures, and gave the modders a welcome distraction throughout 2020.

Some comparison shots.

YGbngpFtaQ9dCrLSJQe3wc-970-80.jpg.webp

WUpCuQNN6WUMwgQVFpS7CR-970-80.png.webp

wB4V2XRuRUXXNkt5vJS5RN-970-80.png.webp

M52KKKGiHM9GbGx7N46T4P-970-80.png.webp

PkCpKxB7c2cB5S9YcjNAoP-970-80.png.webp

zE7whNGjm8rcZ2PAhicFRQ-970-80.png.webp

It's good to see something like this, with Crisis Core so important to the Remakes.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Squeenix announced a next gen version of FFVIIR with a Crisis Core remaster included I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I really want to replay it but it's stuck on my PSP and has never been released on any other platform.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Crisis Core is the reason why you don't include J-Rock star likeness or music not produced specifically for a game in a game.

It's buried on a platform and can't be released digitally anywhere without re-licensing (and I assume Gackt is being an asshole about it) or truly changing a lot to get around the Gackt license issue.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the game (mostly because it was so very, very grindy in my experience), but it's absolutely worth preserving (and it's pretty flawed but it's better than the rest of the Compilation of FFVII stuff was).

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool mod i wish the best mod would be a genesis remove/change for another villain.
But that would be hard to do i think

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Crisis Core has one of the best Final Fantasy songs ever:

www.youtube.com

FFVII Crisis Core Soundtrack: The Price of Freedom

Crisis Core OST The Price of Freedom by Takeharu Ishimoto.

And the ending is SO good. The gameplay was interesting. Only real downside for me was the Genesis character - and funnily enough the reason why it can't be released digitally.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's even more of a shame cause they fully integrated into the Remake's canon. Yet it's hard to find a copy of it.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Crisis Core is the reason why you don't include J-Rock star likeness or music not produced specifically for a game in a game.

It's buried on a platform and can't be released digitally anywhere without re-licensing (and I assume Gackt is being an asshole about it) or truly changing a lot to get around the Gackt license issue.

I never thought of this, but it makes the most sense.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hm. I kind of don't like how they're making it cartoonier. Not that I mind toony styles but it doesn't really fit here.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Someone else already released upscaled textures, at least I'm pretty sure. I was playing it on PPSSPP earlier this year pre-pandemic. This looks much more involved, but the texture pack alone made the game look much better when upscaled in PPSSPP.

[edit, ah it's mentioned in their post. It's here for those wondering.]

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I don't want to be a downer, but the timing for this feels a bit awkward. Square Enix are in full on remaster mode, and Crisis Core really is just a matter of time. I could see it being released within a couple of years.

Although I suppose this would preserve it in its original form!

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I don't want to be a downer, but the timing for this feels a bit awkward. Square Enix are in full on remaster mode, and Crisis Core really is just a matter of time. I could see it being released within a couple of years.
I think I'd be onboard for this if they cleaned up the gameplay and story. My eyes just about rolled into the back of my head every time Genesis appeared and started quoting LOVELESS like a nerdy 15 year old who just discovered Nietzsche.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Crisis Core, but how can a character in a game prevent a digital release?
Genesis is literally using Gackt's likeness for the character design. And you can't use someone's likeness without their consent, kinda like how universal got sued for using the dad's likeness in back to the future 2(and they didn't pay him for it) and renegotiating gackt's likeness might cost more than SE is willing to drop. (They may have only contracted him to use it for only crisis core and Dirge of cerberus and only for the platforms it released on)

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Genesis is literally using Gackt's likeness for the character design. And you can't use someone's likeness without their consent, kinda like how universal got sued for using the dad's likeness in back to the future 2(and they didn't pay him for it) and renegotiating gackt's likeness might cost more than SE is willing to drop. (They may have only contracted him to use it for only crisis core and Dirge of cerberus and only for the platforms it released on)
The whole 'Gackt is preventing a re release' is likely not true. Fans always come up with theories as to why SE haven't re released their games...and then they do. The truth is SE just get round to it when they get round to it. They have a huge back catalogue of games people want re released, and not unlimited resource.

EDIT: oh I think I've misunderstood. Gackt is probably the reason Crisis Core wasn't released digitally yeah. Sometimes people were funny around that time with giving permission for digital releases.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this mod is pretty decent. I used it to replay the game and it made me realise how bad it was outside of the fanservice and Zack himself. Terrible gameplay with some decent bosses and a decent story when it wasn't involving anything to do with Genesis or his lame ass clones.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Funny, I was just listening to Retronauts' recent episode on this game. They didn't seem too enthusiastic about it, but I still found it to be a solid game.

This upscale mod makes the game look super sharp. The images don't really do it justice, the video is much much better at showing how big of an improvement this really is.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've actually been following this loosely for awhile, assuming it's the same one. As someone who's working on an HD pack for another game, I respect now just how tedious it is to replace every texture. I'll probably give this a shot sometime soon. SE leaving Crisis Core on the PSP forever is a travesty.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
The whole 'Gackt is preventing a re release' is likely not true. Fans always come up with theories as to why SE haven't re released their games...and then they do. The truth is SE just get round to it when they get round to it. They have a huge back catalogue of games people want re released, and not unlimited resource.
Possibly true, and Square might be holding onto paying Gackt for his likeness again until they do a proper remaster. Considering this game never left UMD, I might guess Square might also be in a legal gray area for including his likeness and songs performed on a digital storefront.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

On the same note, its clear that his likness and presence in the game were used to help sell copies and likely was used in its marketing and it was clearly short term thinking on the part of Square Enix. And it seems like a super common marketing tactic over there.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Square could also redesign Genesis just fine. Only turbo nerds would make a stint out of it.

Personally, I am fine with Genesis staying buried on a UMD because he was a terrible character anyway.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
What a coincidence I have this on my PS3. 😄

Seriously though, back then when PSP at it's peak, Crisis Core was one of the games that blew me away, I can't believe playing this kind of graphics on portable.

This 'remake' looks great.

Oct 27, 2017

This.

Jul 25, 2020
I hated this game. I wanted it so badly and bought the limited edition console and when I played it, I really was upset. I didn't finish it but I thought a remaster would be nice if it's like the 7 remake.

Oct 30, 2017
Fantastic job !

Wish SE had given this the same treatment as Type-0 HD Remastered and released it on PS4 to keep us waiting for the Remake.

But oh well...

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Besides some story problems, the gameplay has problems too, the mission maps and sidequests are very bad.
If Square wants to touch Zack story again a 6 hour 30 dollars, stand Alone rebot game with ff7 remake assets would be perfect imo

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If Gackt was the issue, couldn't they simply change Genesis' design/face? And recast him in JP?

Don't see why not. If SEGA can recast or change the face of Tanimura in Yakuza 4, then it's not out of the realm of possibility for Square to change the face of Genesis.

I think the big issue is if Gackt's likeness is in any FMVs or pre-rendered stuff. Those would be particularly tricky to replace outright.