• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix has released a patch for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth that makes a number of key performance improvements.

According to the patch notes, update 1.020 improves the PlayStation 5 exclusive's graphics, frame-rate, and adds 'sharp' and 'soft' 60fps modes. Elsewhere, the patch adds difficulty settings for certain mini-games, and fixes various bugs and performance problems.

Earlier this month, Rebirth director Naoki Hamaguchi said one of the main pieces of player feedback Square Enix had received since launch revolved around the graphics in Performance Mode, which prioritizes a consistent frame-rate.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth update 1.020 patch notes:

• Fixes to missing or incorrect characters in some parts of the game text.
  • Fixes to player character bugs that occur in field areas under certain conditions.
  • Fixes to Red XIII's abilities "Supernal Fervor" and "Watcher's Spirit" in battle, as these were easily cancelled.
  • Fixes to bugs occurring in battle under specific conditions that would cause enemies to freeze.
  • Fixes to bugs triggered by specific conditions that affect progress through quests.
  • Improvements to frame rate and overall game stability.
  • Addition of a "sharp" or "soft" option for graphical output in Performance Mode.
  • Improvements to graphical quality.
  • Reflected reversed camera controls while controlling a gliding sky chocobo.
  • Reflected reversed camera controls in the sharpshooting minigame.
  • Emphasised the path along the climbable vines in the Mythril Mine.
  • Added difficulty selection to the customisation screen of the minigames Fort Condor and Gears and Gambits.
www.ign.com

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Patch 1.020 Adds ‘Sharp’ and ‘Soft’ 60fps Modes - IGN

Square Enix has released update 1.020 for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Check out the patch notes.

Last edited:

asd202

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow they really patched it. Sad that no improvements to 30fps or 40fps added but I get it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Interesting—won't be able to try it out until tonight but eager to see what my impressions end up being.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting pays off

I didn't wait intentionally though 😅

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like all they did was add an option to use either the demo's soft upscale or the release version's nearest-neighbor upscale, no?

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
interesting to see how the "sharp" 60fps is achieved..

cutbacks on draw distance, texture quality, particle effects..?

regardless it will most likely be my preferred mode, when i finally play this game next summer or whatever.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
I feel like the updated Graphics mode feels better for the eyes, maybe its the motion blur?
Sharp mode looks SLIGHTLY sharper than Soft, I dont even know why they put 2 modes for that.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
dont get your hopes up for a big difference. "Soft" is basically the original performance mode in the initial demo. "Sharp" is the previously patched version. MAYBE, there is slight improvements, I cant really confirm, still definitely looks soft.

but the lighting did actually improve in some scenes, the character faces dont get weird shading on them anymore.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like all they did was add an option to use either the demo's soft upscale or the release version's nearest-neighbor upscale, no?
Yeah, that's what it seems like from my testing. Sharp mode looks like how Perf mode looked at release, upscaling artifacts and all. Smooth mode looks like how the original demo looked.

As someone who played the entire game in Graphics mode, due to how bad the release Perf mode looked, now I could see playing the game in Smooth Perf mode + turning up your TV's sharpening option, as long as that doesn't add too many artifacts.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the toggle is similar to the demo pre patch. Which is to say, lol.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It might be literal sharpening to the existing mode.

its not, but it should be, its just a different upscaling method. The internal resolution isnt THAT low, its slightly above 1080p in the worst case. With some added sharpening filter it would look fine. Like I literally use my monitors sharpening filter on it and it looks significantly better.

For some reason square just refuses to implement more aggressive sharpening despite the heavy use of TAA.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Graphics mode still the best sorry y'all.

S-E pls learn about 40fps modes I'm begging you.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
No way this promised improvement is really just a toggle between the terrible demo and the terrible-in-a-different-way release version? Come on lol

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Which one is supposed to be the better one? They both look the same to me but I'll use whatever one they just added lol.
I think sharp is technically the new one but I'm not entirely sure if the other one had any changes.
Graphics mode still the best sorry y'all.

S-E pls learn about 40fps modes I'm begging you.
You know I was thinking about this and unless the graphics mode currently has the headroom I don't know if it's a good idea. I say this because I'm pretty sure our current graphics mode is running the same setup as performance mode just at a higher resolution, so if you start dropping the res to get that locked 40 experience it's just going to look worse. It's already very noticeable when they game dynamically drops res even now in some areas, I believe DF said it can in a few rare instances it can drop down to 1440p. Whatever post processing effects they are using was more than likely meant for the 1800-2160p taget and once it drops below that it gets bad quick.

Last edited:

Kureizu

Oct 27, 2017
Alicante, Spain.
I switched better "sharp" and "smooth" and both look identical to me. Both of them still blurry as fuck.
disappointed-sad.gif

May 24, 2019
I'm guessing it's the difference between a nearest-neighbour-type sharp pixel edges upscale and basic bilinear-ish blur.
I haven't played the game yet, but I think DF showed off the existing sharp type in either their analysis of the full game or the demo.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Will see how it looks when I get back to my hard mode playthrough. Nice to see them at least giving multiple options for 60 though, I think stuff like that will age very well when we get more beefy hardware that can just brute force to the best of both worlds.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Too bad this patch doesn't fix the blurry image in the 60fps mode. It's just too blurry for me, so I decided to play the game in 30fps, which is a first in many many years. To be honest I'm used to it now, to the point that I'm not constantly reminded by the low fps. If the hypothetical PS5 Pro can fix the image quality of the 60fps mode, than I'm definitely gonna get one.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Too bad this patch doesn't fix the blurry image in the 60fps mode. It's just too blurry for me, so I decided to play the game in 30fps, which is a first in many many years. To be honest I'm used to it now, to the point that I'm not constantly reminded by the low fps. If the hypothetical PS5 Pro can fix the image quality of the 60fps mode, than I'm definitely gonna get one.
I think the target resolution for performance mode is 1440p but in open areas realistically it's hitting 1080-1100p. With the Pro it should be able to keep it at 1440p solidly. Beyond that you'd need a specific patch I'd imagine.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I still highly recommend that if your TV has a sharpening option to use it at 1440p console output. It looks p normal that way for me.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Which one is supposed to be the better one? They both look the same to me but I'll use whatever one they just added lol.
I think sharp is technically the new one but I'm not entirely sure if the other one had any changes.
Soft looks like the one it's been on so sharp is "new", but it seems like the old demo performance.
"Sharp" is how it's been since the Junon demo release. "Smooth" is how it was when the original demo released.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Took me maybe 10-20 hours before I stopped being hyper aware of how juddery the camera felt in graphics mode, but ultimately 30fps was totally fine for me. Glad I didn't bother waiting for this lol

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
"Sharp" is how it's been since the Junon demo release. "Smooth" is how it was when the original demo released.
Ahahaha no way. Surely something else was changed right? Terrible if true.

Actually, on second thought it doesn't matter either way. It's not an Improvement worth anyone covering and apparently noticing even if something did get updated.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Did they add motion blur for the graphics mode?

Can't be the only one wanting that option??

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Before patch
zIkWyOw.jpeg

Sharp
747Ot7w.jpeg

Soft
dbLC4Fa.jpeg

Graphics
LdayZLy.jpeg

There is a very small improvement, like compare 400% zoom images levels of improvement.

I just want a camera motion blur toggle like the one in FFXVI. 😔

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Has anyone tried Quality mode while using the Samsung QD-OLED S90C (or S95C) motion smoothing settings available in Game Mode?

I know it's usually not a very good "solution" and I've always been against it by default, but I'm curious about how much that could help, how stable it can be and how low input lag can be (even though it should add some, obviously)

This TV is absolutely gorgeous and I'm having a blast on my 65" model, even in Performance mode which I've got used to (about 80 hours on Rebirth), but it's still frustrating to compare how it renders in Quality Mode in comparison so I might consider to try this kind of stuff, now that the patch released and results don't seem very compelling.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Before patch
zIkWyOw.jpeg

Sharp
747Ot7w.jpeg

Soft
dbLC4Fa.jpeg

Graphics
LdayZLy.jpeg

There is a very small improvement, like compare 400% zoom images levels of improvement.

I just want a camera motion blur toggle like the one in FFXVI. 😔
Yeah, even graphics mode in outdoor areas doesn't lock at 4k all the time. You can see this specific area this must be 1440p or slightly above. In regard to the differences in performance mode I'd imagine in motion you wouldn't be able to tell.