• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Translation done by:
https://mobile.twitter.com/aitaikimochi

Full interview:

Some quotes I thought were interesting.

This is the fifth installment within the Compilation of FFVII.

Ultimania said:
—Initially, the project was to be made using staff from external divisions, right?

Kitase: Of course the company's staff were still involved in the development, but most of the team that had worked on Final Fantasy series were assigned to other projects, so we started the Remake project with other external division staff. However, because we wanted to upkeep the quality of the Final Fantasy series, we decided that we still needed members who had experience working on Final Fantasy. Because of this, we had to do a major shift of staff positions to accommodate for this project.

—Since the Remake will be comprised of multiple parts, when did you decide that the first part will take place up until the escape from Midgar?

Nomura: After you leave Midgar, you move to a world map, and I mentioned this earlier, but level designs would have to yet again change. If we were to do that, we would also have to split up other scenarios and even if we add new gameplay, it would have to end in an abrupt point of the story. That's why we felt that if we had everything focused in Midgar, we wouldn't have to split up any of the story elements that happen there. We had requests to add more content or to make only one installment for the whole remake, but if you take into consideration the quality put into this game, I'm sure players would understand why we made this decision.

Nojima-san was added to the team when the project was still being handled by the external division staff, correct?

Nomura: That's right. I was the one who initially wrote the main scenarios, and the external division staff was responsibile for writing the sub scenarios as well. However, when we transferred the project to internal staff, Toriyama-san (Co-Director) joined and looked over the scenarios we had written up until that point. He then gathered all the scenes we had and rewrote them, and after looking over it myself once more, we decided that the project would take on this shape.

Wanting to delve deep into the characters.

—As we played through the game, Aerith's lines left an impression on us.

Nojima: Aerith is the utmost important person in the FFVII Remake, and I was very careful with her lines. Each and every part of her carries a great meaning throughout the story, and I used that premise to write her character.

—In particular, during the nighttime flower field scene in Chapter 14, Aerith tells Cloud "You can't fall in love with me. Even if you do, it's not real." For those who are familiar with the original story, this line carries a lot of meaning.

Nojima: To be honest, some staff actually told me that this line made it seem like Aerith was looking down on Cloud, so it got rejected a few times. If you know Aerith's fate, then this line would really pull at your heart strings, but if you did not know what happens to Aerith, then you might interpret the scene in a completely different way. I thought the gap between the two interpretations was very interesting. On another note, in Tifa's scene in the flower field, I wanted Cloud to not look cool in this scene. Even though Cloud and Tifa are close in age, he has a 5 year blank slate, and he doesn't have enough life experience to consider himself an adult. Even though most of the characters are around 20 years old, there's one guy, Cloud, who has the mentality of a 16 year old, and that person tries to be like an adult. I really wanted to write that into the story. After the Sector 7 plate fell, Barret comforted Tifa with the temperament of an adult, and Cloud saw that and wanted to do the same for her [in the flower scene], but it didn't go as planned. I wanted to try writing him as being awkward.

Importance of Stamp
In the ending of the Remake, Zack is alive, which leads to a contrasting development to the original story. What is the meaning of that scene?

Nomura: That's the biggest highlight of the mysteries that have been been set up in this scene, isn't it? (laughs)

Nojima: And you can also clearly see the dog Stamp too…

—Stamp looks different in this scene though.

Nojima: Oh, does he know…? (laughs)

—Did you have plans in the beginning for the mascot Stamp?

Nojima: Yes, when we decided on the Remake's storyline, we said "Well then, let's have this loyal dog Stamp be the mascot." Stamp is a popular mascot that everyone in this world recognizes, and we decided to also use him as AVALANCHE's secret way of conveying messages.

Nomura: By the way, the Stamp that you see drawn by AVALANCHE members is actually the design that I was in charge of. I usually don't get involved in these designs, but I felt that this character would be very important, so I decided to draw him myself.

Original Elements are still expected to happen.

—If we follow this Remake's story, then the next installment might have major changes compared to the original, right?

Kitase: I've talked about this extensively with Nomura, but I'm sure fans of the original are expecting to revisit familiar locations and scenes, so we have strong feelings to not stray away from that. From here on out, we're not drastically changing the story and making it into something completely different than the original. Even though it's a Remake, please assume that FF7 will still be FF7 as usual.

Nojima: For me, I create scenarios that follow the general flow of the original story but with the assumption that the way things are presented or how events occur might be slightly different.

I recommend reading the full interview. It has some more interesting deets.

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Interesting to see that they changed the translation of Aerith's last line from the Japanese to English. It completely changes that last line.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still surprised so many people were in denial about the Zack stuff. The stamp bag was very clearly zoomed in on to show a different timeline.
Yeah how do you go from "The sky, how I hate it." to " I miss it, the steel sky."
I don't really think there is a major difference here?

Like the first is more direct about her feelings but the second can still clearly be assumed that she doesn't like the sky. It's not like the english version changes the entire meaning.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Holy (LOL) SHIT!

It just hit me.

Whichever translation you look at.

She's hinting at Jenova's origin isn't she?
That's what Nomura says:
For Aeritih, the sky symbolizes sadness. The people who were dear to her, such as Zack and her mother Ifalna, had all returned to the sky, and the sky that she sees above her in the slums was covered by Shinra too. The calamity that destroyed the Ancients, Jenova, also fell from the sky. All of these incidents remind Aerith of the sky, which is why she says she hates it.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy (LOL) SHIT!

It just hit me.

Nope.

EW1HTR2UwAIHn_X

She hates the sky because it represents sadness to her of the people she loved returning to it.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's also interesting to see that for all the blame Nomura's been getting about Sephiroth being so prominent and the whispers and things changing, those weren't even his ideas lol.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant.

The criticism Nomura gets is so exaggerated and over the top from those who disliked FFVIIR.

Then I read something like this and it makes me even more confused at the vitriol people have for him.

Looks like we're both right.
Yeah I'm dumb and forgot the second part of the line lmao

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
It's also interesting to see that for all the blame Nomura's been getting about Sephiroth being so prominent and the whispers and things changing, those weren't even his ideas lol.
Yeah seem seems like Kitase, Nomura and Nojima are pretty conservative in terms of old vs new.

#fuknomura season canceled?

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the "I miss the steel sky" line. In a way its like a fan of the original being forced to let go of the safety of the original's plot and the momentary sorrow because of that.

Happy to see them confirm its not completely discarding the original. I wonder if the alternate timeline Zack and the one carrying Cloud is the same or if the one carrying Cloud was a foreshadowing for his death in the original since its weird how loyal it is to the moments before.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant.

The criticism Nomura gets is so exaggerated and over the top from those who disliked FFVIIR.

Then I read something like this and it makes me even more confused at the vitriol people have for him.

Looks like we're both right.
I think it's fine to criticise him, not like the ending, etc, but all the 'lol Nomura fanfiction' stuff is so weird in the context of FF7, just because he came up with all the characters and most of the story and iconic moments everyone loves from the original. Similarly, you get a lot of 'keep Nomura away from FF6!!!' comments at random, even though he designed all the monsters and bosses in that game, plus came up with some story and character stuff.

Hate the guy, Kingdom Hearts, whatever, but don't forget he was around and super active during Square's golden age :(

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine to criticise him, not like the ending, etc, but all the 'lol Nomura fanfiction' stuff is so weird in the context of FF7, just because he came up with all the characters and most of the story and iconic moments everyone loves from the original. Similarly, you get a lot of 'keep Nomura away from FF6!!!' comments at random, even though he designed all the monsters and bosses in that game, plus came up with some story and character stuff.

Hate the guy, Kingdom Hearts, whatever, but don't forget he was around and super active during Square's golden age :(
Going by this interview, a lot of the additions in the remake like Sephiroth popping up so much in Midgar weren't even his ideas. As much as people like to rag on Nomura, a lot of what they think is his bullshit didn't even come from him (at least in this case).

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Going by this interview, a lot of the additions in the remake like Sephiroth popping up so much in Midgar weren't even his ideas. As much as people like to rag on Nomura, a lot of what they think is his bullshit didn't even come from him (at least in this case).
It's weird because going by like all of the FF7 interviews I recall reading from the original to now, he's typically not been the one to try to pull crazy shit with this world.

Granted he doesn't say no to a lot of stuff that his staff want to add to the game, but it's probably so that the staff feel like they had more of a hand in creating the game.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Should I be at least a little relieved that he said this:
After you leave Midgar, you move to a world map, and I mentioned this earlier, but level designs would have to yet again change

Because they could just as well keep "world travel" a sequence of linear boxed locations like Part 1/FFX with one entry and one exit point and there would be no need for change in level design? *shrugs*

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Hm..... I'm not sure Nomura takes any story very seriously, as melodramatic as his stuff is

Dude really wanted Versus XIII to be a musical at one point and had to be talked out of it.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I love everything about what they did with the remake. They really poured a lot of love and hard work into it.

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I can post this here too, regarding a potential world map in the next installment.

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned in the Utimania translations, but the co-director of the Remake Hamaguchi discussed the World Map for the next installment, below is a quick translation:

Q: Regarding the World Map in the OG, how do you plan to recreate it for the next installment?

Hamaguchi: in the recent FFVII Remake the concept was making the player experience Midgar, however for the next installment we want to create content with a vast world that can be felt. We will consider an effective method to make the player feel the vast world while telling a dramatic story at the same time.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
So everybody flipping out and overreacting in the spoiler thread can sit down.

The next installments will follow the original story.

And they've all but confirmed an expansive open world experience to replicate the world map.

Excellent

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never processed that Cloud was mentally still 16 years old despite being 21.

A lot of things makes sense now lol.

"I'vE gOt sKiLLs!"

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar

I gotta say, even though I've never liked the Compilation, I find it cool that they are respecting the lore and lightly threading aspects from it into Remake.

It reminds me of back when I played MGS1 for the first time as a kid, and the manual and game made references to the events of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. It adds a layer of depth and mystery to proceedings, to know there are "other games" that influence the lore. Even if one doesn't play those games, the knowledge of their existence adds a certain "je ne sais quoi" to proceedings.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Holy (LOL) SHIT!

It just hit me.

Eh, the game doesn't really beat around the bush with Jenova.

It's a reference to Crisis Core. In CC Aerith reveals that she's afraid of the sky (because of Jenova) and being around Zack and his sky blue eyes allows her to conquer that fear.

She says this line as she is experiencing the memory of Zack's death, so imo the line is hinting that Zack is probably still dead since the experience of this memory shot her confidence over her fear of the sky.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
giphy.gif

Guess it's still canon
Dirge of Cerberus didn't happen yet, dingus, this is just the branch of Shinra that you fight IN dirge of Cerberus. This is several years before Dirge even happens, so there's little reason to believe you even get to see any of the weirdos from it.

Not all of this is going to be acted on, a lot of references are just Easter eggs and lore to expand the worldbuilding. Time will tell as to how much is legitimately brought in from the Complilation for the actual story, but plenty of this can be put to good use, especially considering how good the story telling is in the game (outside the divisive ending, I suppose.)

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So... I'm going to get some hate for this, but I wish the story would be completely different going forward. But see, I don't have any attachment to the original game at all, so when the game ends with "The Unknown Journey Will Continue", I'm actually thinking they're going to completely change everything going forward. Only making minor changes to the story means I still have to be on the edge with OG spoilers.

At the very least, what I hope for is a convergence of timelines. It seems like a lot of people care about Zack, so it would be interesting to play some part of the sequel as Cloud & the party, then some part of the sequel as Zack in the other timeline. Or at least heavily feature him.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Eh, the game doesn't really beat around the bush with Jenova.

It's a reference to Crisis Core. In CC Aerith reveals that she's afraid of the sky (because of Jenova) and being around Zack and his sky blue eyes allows her to conquer that fear.

She says this line as she is experiencing the memory of Zack's death, so the line is hinting that Zack is probably still dead since the experience of this memory shot her confidence over her fear of the sky.
Thanks for enlightening me further.

With all this post-Remake discussion, I'm slowly getting the urge to play Crisis Core. I previously didn't have the hardware to play via PC Emulation, so I'll give it another go after previous false starts on PSP and PS3.

So... I'm going to get some hate for this, but I wish the story would be completely different going forward. But see, I don't have any attachment to the original game at all, so when the game ends with "The Unknown Journey Will Continue", I'm actually thinking they're going to completely change everything going forward. Only making minor changes to the story means I still have to be on the edge with OG spoilers.

At the very least, what I hope for is a convergence of timelines. It seems like a lot of people care about Zack, so it would be interesting to play some part of the sequel as Cloud & the party, then some part of the sequel as Zack in the other timeline. Or at least heavily feature him.
I think they want to follow the general thread of the original, but they want to be liberal about changes along the way, more liberal than they were in Remake I seems to be the hint behind the end game quote.

They're probably gauging all the fan feedback and will decide how liberal they want to be based on that.

I agree with you that the more radical, the more exciting. I'm one of the "the original will always be there" crowd.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for enlightening me further.

With all this post-Remake discussion, I'm slowly getting the urge to play Crisis Core. I previously didn't have the hardware to play via PC Emulation, so I'll give it another go after previous false starts on PSP and PS3.
Also, to further back this up, Nomura says she hates the sky because she associates it with death, so saying that line after remembering that Zack scene seems pretty weird if Zack isn't dead.

NeoN1

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura: At that time, Hamaguchi-san (Co-Director) quietly pulled me aside and said, "I want the characters to fight Sephiroth in Midgar" and consulted me with this idea. In the original story, Sephiroth exists in a different space, and apparently he gathered materials to persuade me to have the battle play out in this way, but I just said, "Okay sure," and greenlit the idea. (laughs)

"Okay sure, whatever..."
Come on, I expected the team to take it more seriously than to add/change things because why not 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
So sounds like they will follow the story beats of the original while making changes at the same time. Should alleviate some concerns of several people not happy with the ending.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

I'm running with a theory that, due to how the ending of the game presents the aftermath of beating the Whispers, that both the Midgar from this game, alongside the main party, ended up in a reality and time Right After Zack's last stand, and Zack is dragging his version of Cloud to Midgar after miraculously surviving his last stand.

The last stand is only a few months before the start of FFVII, but there was a lot of stuff going on during the events of Crisis Core that Zack's death left unanswered or no longer relevant to the story.

Did Tseng accept his death and moved on, and does that inform his coldness at the loss of a close friend?

Where did Cissnei end up after the events of Crisis Core, is she still on the payroll?

How would Cloud end up physically and mentally as he recovers from Mako Poisoning when Zack is there for his recovery?

What will Zack do after finding out that Aerith is gone from Midgar, and how will he learn of this?

How would he be treated by Shinra now that Rufas is in charge, and would he still be considered an enemy of the Company, or a potentially powerful asset?

And most importantly, when he eventually leaves Midgar to go after Aerith and reunite with her, as some posters have said would be a really striking moment, will he finally catch up to her RIGHT as she is about to lose her life? Will Aerith try to follow the events of the main game to protect the planet and willingly give her life for Holy, only for Zack to stop it and create a MASSIVE divergence at the ENDGAME, where all sorts of little side stuff and plot lines converge to create a different and bombastic finale?

These are all questions I hope to be answered in the next parts, but even if my theory is incorrect, I hope that Zack gets some good play, as his lack of death has a ton of potential to being a fantastic gateway to many emotional payoffs.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The ending still has Sephiroth allude to an entirely new threat that could possibly be the centerpiece of the final arc of the series.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I completely misread that Zack ending, I thought it was just a flashback of the ending of Crisis Core. So... hes alive? How and why?

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
The ending still has Sephiroth allude to an entirely new threat that could possibly be the centerpiece of the final arc of the series.

My theory on this that I hate is that future!Sephiroth may have regained his sanity and is orchestrating events to permanently destroy Jenova, and that these changes are going to allow us to learn more about Jenova's origin and even interact (and speak) with it directly??

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
? The only threat he alludes to is the threat the natural cycle of life and death is to his ego. He tells you the Planet is dying slowly and everything will become part of the edge of creation. He wants to "save the planet" by killing it his own way and becoming god.

Wow I completely misread that Zack ending, I thought it was just a flashback of the ending of Crisis Core. So... hes alive? How and why?
I don't think that's what they're saying. The interviewer asks a leading question about Zack being alive and Noruma responds with a non-answer about it being a mystery. The very last scene of the game is Aerith remembering Zack carrying Cloud to Midgar and then saying that she hates the sky, which she associates with death.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019

It suggests that the plot ghosts were the original culprit of Zack's death, and their destruction in the future meant that they couldn't orchestrate the cheap shot that kills him.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
It's complicated because of the open-endedness of the reference, but the commonly accepted theory is that Zack, in a different timeline (shown as a bag of chips had a differently designed mascot on it while still branded "Original" that flashes by during the scene), somehow managed to survive his last stand, and we last see him dragging cloud to Midgar like he was trying to do at the end of Crisis Core.

So he's Alive, and it's potentially a side effect of the Whispers being defeated. What this actually means for the Remake series is undetermined, but it's certainly interesting, and will be a big mystery going forward!

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
My theory on this that I hate is that future!Sephiroth may have regained his sanity and is orchestrating events to permanently destroy Jenova, and that these changes are going to allow us to learn more about Jenova's origin and even interact (and speak) with it directly??

I also wondered about that, but I'm guessing it has to do more with something along the lines of Fate and the whispers. It felt very Xenosaga.

? The only threat he alludes to is the threat the natural cycle of life and death is to his ego. He tells you the Planet is dying slowly and everything will become part of the edge of creation. He wants to "save the planet" by killing it his own way and becoming god.
He points to other planets and says that they're disappearing (due to some unexplained force of phenomenon). Then he says he doesn't want to disappear like them. It seems more like he wants to save the planet, because without it, he can't achieve those goals.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I also wondered about that, but I'm guessing it has to do more with something along the lines of Fate and the whispers. It felt very Xenosaga.

He points to other planets and says that they're disappearing (due to some unexplained force of phenomenon). Then he says he doesn't want to disappear like them. It seems more like he wants to save the planet, because without it, he can't achieve those goals.
He's just pointing to the natural order. Planets die and diffuse into the universal lifestream of the cosmos. Planet is going to die slowly at the hands of humanity and join creation like all the other planets. Sephiroth doesn't want that because his ego is too big. He doesn't want to become a part of something bigger. He wants everything to become part of him. He's trying to sugar-coat his plan by making it sound like salvation when really when he says "Join me and let's defy destiny together." he means "Help me blow up planet so I can eat you all and live forever."