• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Does this really matter?

yes Jesse from IGN - if this is legit and Japanese fans think the design sucks, there might be an interesting story about non-white people responding to character designs in ways that Western white people don't expect. Or maybe there's a story about the portrayal of women in Japan vs. in America here?

of course, it could just be people like anime and there's nothing to this but I hate these fucking drive-by "LOL who cares?" posts.

Oct 25, 2017
p74f1ae.png

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Aeris is fine. (prefer the old dress though).

Japanese fans should save their outrage for the Tifa reveal. (and Kim K Jessie)

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Are those actually differences, or photoshopped click bait? I don't remember seeing a difference when watching the eng vs Japanese versions of the games.

Its a japanese fan edit. On twitter there's tons of japanese that have the most annoying nitpicky sentiments about "beauty" and moe faces and anything that doesn't conform to a specific type of aesthetic either looks like an old lady or a gorilla. its absolutely ridiculous.

It isnt the first time, Laura in the Tomb Raider reboots has been talked about in the same fashion as well as RE2 remake...its quite irritating to see honestly

Kunomori

Nov 1, 2017
It seems they can only accept If she looks childish. If she looks 18+ they can't have their fetish. Nothing new here

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
They gave her glowing SOLDIER eyes? I mean sure those eyes are normally blue from Mako but still, eyes don't shine that brightly.

Overall I don't really think that there's anything to complain about in regards to her design.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
They both look bleh. The left one looks like she got hit with a baseball too many times and the right one looks like they took the left one and just squished it upward instead of making any actual changes to things that are the problem like the jawline or nose structures.

In a game that is taking a good amount of inspiration from anime she looks the least like the rest of the cast.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
As someone who goes onto Japanese media pretty regularly...this is not an uncommon occurrence on social media. Just letting yall know its not a handful of people. There are people who dont mind the design of course, but the amount of people who actually get on the bandwagon on this shit and talk about "polikore" and how japanese companies are anti japan because of this kinda shit is fucking infuriating. It aint an isolated incident and it should be called out, not dismissed

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
They both look bleh. The left one looks like she got hit with a baseball too many times and the right one looks like they took the left one and just squished it upward instead of making any actual changes to things that are the problem like the jawline or nose structures.

In a game that is taking a good amount of inspiration from anime she looks the least like the rest of the cast.
I... can't understand. What makes her look like she got hit? Her model looks great.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this being treated like a controversy? A few people on twitter does not mean Japan as a whole is upset with her design.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think that's how shadows wows and light works.
All they did was make her face brighter and change her Eyebrow expression.
Oh and install LEDs in her eyes.
Would make her look totally out of place.
I actually love her Remake design.
I also don#t get some posters here talking like this was made by all of Japan.
It's most likely jsut one fan.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Fan edit makes her look a lot more anime. I personally prefer the real version since she looks alittle more realistic and more mature.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Japan reaction on Tifa is going to be good if Square Enix is going to change her