• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=358QwpixKmk

widescreen_field.gif

widescreen_world.gif

widescreen_battle.gif

From Discord:

A brand new widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio mode without stretching is now available for FFNx!
Battle and world map modes now work fully in 16:9 aspect ratio without stretching.
Field mode is partially supported but keep in mind that not all fields will extend to 16:9 aspect ratio.
That said, we are working on ways to increase the number of fields that work in 16:9 so please look forward to that too!

To try this new widescreen mode update FFNx AND 7th Heaven to the latest canary versions and select "Widescreen (16:9)" in the Aspect Ratio option of the Game Driver Settings.

If you want to submit widescreen related bug report please do so in the following issue thread in GitHub.
https://github.com/julianxhokaxhiu/FFNx/issues/474

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That's some wizardry to draw things out to be 16:9, but also that Cloud in the first image is super cursed.

Jan 11, 2018
I would love to just run the game with the Satsuki mod for enhanced backgrounds, fps mod and now this widescreen mod. Would that be possible? Or do I have to install mods for new character models and UI (which I don't want) to make it work?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to just run the game with the Satsuki mod for enhanced backgrounds, fps mod and now this widescreen mod. Would that be possible? Or do I have to install mods for new character models and UI (which I don't want) to make it work?
You can install or leave out pretty much any part you want. You can keep the original UI and models if you want.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty incredible!

I don't know how feasible it would be but I wish the modding community could import models from FF7R and recreate the backgrounds with the environment in that game too. It's what I wish FF7R was tbh

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But is it compatible with the Satsuki mod? And/or the 60 fps mod?
The new widescreen feature is built directly into the driver. It should be compatible with anything. But it did just come out, so keep that in mind. But theoretically, yes, it should be compatible with Satsuki and the 60fps mod.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Would it be possible to get this, Satsuki, and 60 fps running on the Steam Deck?

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be possible to get this, Satsuki, and 60 fps running on the Steam Deck?
I think so? I know it's possible to install FFNx (the driver) and Satsuki directly into the game folder without going through 7th Heaven (the mod manager). I'm not sure about 60fps, but maybe as well?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Why do they always show these mods off with those ugly replacement characters?

Anyway, I tried out 7th Heaven months ago but it somehow made FFXIV unplayable on my PC; some kind of DirectX fuckery. So unfortunately I can't use it.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime OP posts a new FFVII mod thread, I get all riled up to where I want to buy a PC and figure out how to get mods working.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
I really should've played FF7 on PC, huh. Played the Switch version and the QoL stuff was nice (mainly the fast forward and random encounter skip), but all these mods coming out for it look awesome.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Between this and the 60 fps update a little while back, is it now time to replay FF7 on PC?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've not tried it with this game/mod but for other games if you mod them however on PC then transfer the game folders to the Deck and merge/overwrite the files there it can work.

The other option if the mod uses a separate application is to add that as a non steam game and run it on the deck through proton.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I have 7th Heaven updated does this automatically install?

that Cloud in the first image is super cursed.

lol, I tend to agree. There's another mod n 7th Heaven that allows you to use more modernized models that aren't chibi. Hell, with all the mods in this thing I practically feel like it's better than any remaster Square could do.

7th Heaven lets you pick and choose which modes you want active. So you can download enhanced backgrounds and the FPS mods without changing anything else about the game. Still not sure about the widescreen integration though.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how i'm supposed to update ffnx thing ?

7th heaven says it's outdated but doesn't tell me how to update it.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Does anyone know how i'm supposed to update ffnx thing ?

7th heaven says it's outdated but doesn't tell me how to update it.

Go to the official website and download the newest version, it will start auto-downloading updates from that moment onward. You can even install it in the same folder structure and just update the mods, or re-download them if there are too many version updates.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxI_9uaSN84

I wish the remake had looked like this, and been 100% faithful to the og.

It's insane how much more personality this has :/ .

I'm sad now.

(but ff7R is not a remake whatsoever anyway so even if it looked like that I'd still be bitter :p )

Go to the official website and download the newest version, it will start auto-downloading updates from that moment onward. You can even install it in the same folder structure and just update the mods, or re-download them if there are too many version updates.

But my 7th heaven auto updated, the other mods can update.

But if I click on game driver it says this

d20720e8d191b382c15cf347c02817ed.png

JanusIsMagus

Banned
Jun 27, 2022
If I can get this mod working, I think I'll finally go back and play FF7 for the first time since the 90s! The last time I tried FF7 was the crumby Eidos PC version that crashed every 15 minutes. To be fair, though, my PC only had 8MB of RAM. And yes, I meant Megabytes. LOL

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
It's insane how much more personality this has :/ .

I'm sad now.

(but ff7R is not a remake whatsoever anyway so even if it looked like that I'd still be bitter :p )

But my 7th heaven auto updated, the other mods can update.

But if I click on game driver it says this

d20720e8d191b382c15cf347c02817ed.png

Not sure about that one, sorry.

All I know is that I was running a VERY old version and manually downloading the newest one solved it all. There are even newer version of the same mods I was using and they look/perform better now.
Ver 2.23 to Ver 2.25 was my update.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about that one, sorry.

All I know is that I was running a VERY old version and manually downloading the newest one solved it all. There are even newer version of the same mods I was using and they look/perform better now.
Ver 2.23 to Ver 2.25 was my update.

Ok so I tried installing manually and it didn't work, but I found in the settings an obscure option to update the ffnx specifically and that seemed to have worked.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
htux7OX.jpeg
BOA7zyG.jpeg
00RLSBn.jpeg

Just tried it out, pretty damn sweet!

Also worth noting that Ninostyle finally finished replacing every single field character/npc model a few days ago. 200-something models all redone, he's been working on it for like 4 years.
I know they're not to everyone's tastes but I love the added detail, he used Nomura's sketches as a reference for many of them.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I would just wait for a Satsuki update, I'm sure he'll bundle this into the installer. He's been really good about with other recent breakthroughs like analog controls, etc. And yes Satsuki mod has a really user-friendly GUI for installation where you can check or uncheck tons of features like new character models. I personally prefer just using HD interface and backgrounds and leaving the original models alone too. The UI upscale in Satsuki isn't obnoxious either. It's the same scale, font, and colors as the original, just no longer pixellated.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting that Ninostyle finally finished replacing every single field character/npc model a few days ago. 200-something models all redone, he's been working on it for like 4 years.

I know they're not to everyone's tastes but I love the added detail, he used Nomura's sketches as a reference for many of them.

Ooooh nice! I love them and used an older version when I went back and played some of FFVII a bit ago and it was incomplete. Nice that they are done.

I really like them as they keep the chibi style that the backgrounds and world scale were made around while looking a lot better than flat coloured 3 polygon characters from the PS1. These models, plus upscaled backgrounds plus the FMV replacment mod really do a great job of remastering the game.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
htux7OX.jpeg
BOA7zyG.jpeg
00RLSBn.jpeg

Just tried it out, pretty damn sweet!

I gotta figure out how to get this running on Deck.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If normal people can do this for free why can't square a billions $ company with hundreds of employees release their own version

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I love how much the fans respect the bones of the original game, it's a shame the direction the remake went. I have never modded FF7 in my life, I have the Steam version, people are talking about some Satsuki deal, I guess I will wait for that to be updated with this and then have them all under one roof. I assume Satsuki is an installer for all the most popular mods?

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna comment on how cool this is, but I see the thread has already devolved into people complaining about Remake, so nevermind.

CosmosXIII

Feb 15, 2022
I'm one of the authors of this mod, happy that people seem to like it.

For the pre-rendered field backgrounds, it seems like it's area that's already present for scrolling, that wouldn't be shown all at once in 4:3.
EDIT: Okay, there's a LOT of extra space in some of these original backgrounds.

Yeah, you are right, it uses the additional space already there for fields that originally had horizontal scrolling. Sometimes there is some extra space that remained unused until now too. Fields without scrolling or extra space are more difficult. That said, we are working on an option to zoom in a little to fill the 16:9 screen while also changing how the camera follows the player so that you can still see all of the background.

The new widescreen feature is built directly into the driver. It should be compatible with anything. But it did just come out, so keep that in mind. But theoretically, yes, it should be compatible with Satsuki and the 60fps mod.

Yes, it is fully compatible with Satsuki's upscaled backgrounds and 60 fps.

Was gonna comment on how cool this is, but I see the thread has already devolved into people complaining about Remake, so nevermind.

As an author of this mod, it matters a lot to me that you like it so thank you!