Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just imagining FF8 with Remakes graphics and combat is making me drool.
If they can make the story and the junction system better it would be absolutely amazing

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The reason Square did a multi part strategy with seven it's because they know every part will sell.

Even the people who think FF7 is overrated have bought the remake. And even those people think 7 is a good but not perfect game.

On the other hand there's a reasonable number of people (myself included) that think FF8 is not a good game. It doesn't have the popularity for this kind of remake.
If money didn't rule all, it would make so much sense for games that were kind of more divisive with room for improvement to get remakes that could allow them to appeal to more people instead of games most people already like but I digress :/

All this disregarding the fact that VIII has some of the most gorgeous environments and music in the series that would shine even more on modern tech

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Also for what reason do people think 9 deserves a remake more than 8?
I'm seeing a lot of that sentiment here but don't see the logic. Sounds more like personal preference to me.

Oct 31, 2017
I would play the living shit out of it

But

Ugh man idk I still prefer entirely new projects

And I wouldn't want it to be more than 2 parts

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
FFVIII is probably the FF game that can need a Remake the most because i always thought the entire time travel part and everything Ultimecia felt incredibly rushed, like the had much bigger ambitions initially and needed to strongly reduce those eventually

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Man, it's so hard to imagine a FF8 remake ever happening.

1. SE would have to successfully complete FF7 Remake
2. The entire project would have to be a critical and commercial success
3. The new FF (more than 1?) would have to be flops
4. I'd have to live to 100.

Oct 31, 2017
In Disc 1, you start at Balamb, then leave for Dollet, and return to Balamb afterwards before leaving again for the Forest Owls mission. Disc 2 has you returning to Balamb, only to leave for Trabia and return to Balamb once again for the 'clash of the Gardens'. Each of those four sections at Balamb are pretty significant chunks of story and gampeplay that take up large parts of both Discs 1 and 2.

It's boring, though admittedly I didn't feel this way when I was younger.

No it's not wtf

A
This is such a weird way to frame the opening part of the game. You start at Balamb Garden because Squall lives there. It's his school and home. He goes to Dollet for his school exam and graduates which then leads to him leaving. This is like the first 30-60 minutes of the first disc and then you don't return at all until Disc 2. The biggest story beats happen during Timber/Galbadia Garden/Deling not Balamb.

Disc 2 starts you in prison and then splits off into two parties where the first does the missile base. The second party only becomes playable after all of this and you return to Balamb to save it. This and the Garden battle is the only major story moments you experience with Balamb Garden. Everything else is Fishermans Horizon, Balamb(the town) and Trabia. Disc 3 basically disregards Balamb Garden and is not present other than the beginning section for travel to the orphanage and the tracks to Fishermans Horizon.

It's okay if you don't like Balamb Garden. Let's not exaggerate the role it had in the game lol

That is fine if you feel that way but that is not at all what I'm discussing. My issue with the person I quoted is saying the story beats all happen with Balamb Garden which is just straight up wrong. Balamb Garden is barely present for Disc 1, 3 and 4. The major story reveals all happen outside of it.

After I finished FFVIII last week I actually felt like we spent too little time in there!

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
sure, after the ff9 remake

I'm seeing a lot of that sentiment here but don't see the logic. Sounds more like personal preference to me.

ff9 deserve it so much more because it was overlooked due to its release date late in the ps1's life and not having the same aesthetics as 7/8. it would benefit from the upgrade of a remake from its battles to its story. it would be awesome if more people play a classic final fantasy

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
They should remake all old FF games and start over again when they're done them all during the PS13 gen.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I would love a final fantasy viii remake but I'll probably be like 80 by the time they got around to it.

Sep 7, 2018
No please.Worst FF ever.
You straight up lying. It's nowhere near a bad game. It runs fine, you're not going to get glitches unless you go looking for them, the design isn't obtrusive or vague, the encounter rates are at the medium level, it's not sky high like in the NES games, it has a talented composer, art assets. The team was on their shit when they made that.

There are far worse FFs out there like Dice de Chocobo and All the Bravest which is barely a video game. You barely have any control over your characters and it's just designed to take your money like paying to revive party members. VIII doesn't come close to a game with actual poor design like the one I just mentioned.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
If money didn't rule all, it would make so much sense for games that were kind of more divisive with room for improvement to get remakes that could allow them to appeal to more people instead of games most people already like but I digress :/

All this disregarding the fact that VIII has some of the most gorgeous environments and music in the series that would shine even more on modern tech

The reason I didn't like FF8 was because I disliked the story and especially disliked the gameplay systems, junction, draw and the battle mechanics.

The story is the story, and it could be improved, but the 'systems' could be reworked, in this case I would probably try an FF8 remake, but only if reviews backed it up.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Currently replaying FFVIII on Switch, just left FH after 20 hours thanks to playing tons of Triple Triad.

I like FFVIII, but I'm not sure a full blown remake is really viable.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather we got concrete information on when FFVII R will be "finished" first.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
You mean 8 and 9?

I'd love a FFXI remake but it's an MMO and will never happen.

Haha, yeah. I meant 8 and 9. They're the least visually appealing Final Fantasy games so it'd be nice for them to get the remake treatment. Who knows, maybe the leniency of it being a remake can connect the three hypothetical games together.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF6 would be perfect for the multi-part remake treatment, because it has multiple natural points to stop the story and put a cliffhanger in.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm onboard with your idea OP. FFVIII is my favorite game in the series and one of my favorite games of all time, I would kill for a remake. Seeing Balamb Garden, exploring more of Galbadia Garden, and Esthar? Holy hell that would be fantastic!!

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'l with you OP. VIIR is cool and all, but I kept thinking "imagine how cool it would be to see the BGU, Balamb or Esthar with this level of fidelity".

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

IX is a celebration of everything that is FF. VIII is a complete mess that most people only enjoy because in their mind they canonized a fan theory. That's my personal opinion, sure, but in terms of FF, and the history of FF? IX is absolutely the more important game.

Sep 7, 2018
IX is a celebration of everything that is FF. VIII is a complete mess that most people only enjoy because in their mind they canonized a fan theory. That's my personal opinion, sure, but in terms of FF, and the history of FF? IX is absolutely the more important game.
How do you know what most people are thinking? Did you ask everybody? I know you didn't ask me nor any people in this thread because not one post said that was why they liked it. Look at the guy with goat avatar for instance and if somebody likes it because of that does that make them wrong for liking it?

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll probably faint from excitement-overload if i ever get to explore the halls of a remade Balamb Garden. VIII is perfect for a ground up remake because there's so much potential with the amazing world and original gameplay concepts that's just begging for refinement.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How do you know what most people are thinking? Did you ask everybody? I know you didn't ask me nor any people in this thread because not one post said that was why they liked it. Look at the guy with goat avatar for instance and if somebody likes it because of that does that make them wrong for liking it?

What does that even have to do with anything I said? I've been discussing FFVIII with people since the day it came out, and from a certain point in time the FFVIII lovers always went back on either the Rinoa theory or Triple Triad for their love of the game. I mean, it's cool if you like it for other reasons, that really doesn't change how much of an utter mess that game was.

That said, I ain't here for debating how good/bad FFVIII is, I only gave that poster my perspective on why I, and others think that FFIX deserves the remake more.

Oct 27, 2017

IX had a likeable cast, a decent story (despite suddenly Necron), good gameplay systems and a charming visual style. VIII had none of that IMO. The character designs in IX would really shine in a HD remake.

No u

Oct 27, 2017
Then surely FF8 has more to gain from a remake then.

You can polish a turd as much as you want, but it'll still remain a turd. They'd have to make a completely different game with a completely different story, different cast of characters and different gameplay systems (ie. get rid of the godawful junction and draw systems). What would be left would be a game that literally was Final Fantasy VIII in name only.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
You can polish a turd as much as you want, but it'll still remain a turd. They'd have to make a completely different game with a completely different story, different cast of characters and different gameplay systems (ie. get rid of the godawful junction and draw systems). What would be left would be a game that literally was Final Fantasy VIII in name only.
Well there are lots of people who like the stories and the characters so no your take still comes down to personal opinion

Rods

May 1, 2020
This ain't happening, not sure FF VIII is even in the top 5 in popularity. Gonna be another 50 years maybe ever until we get a remake for it.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The gunsword is cool and would make for a fun mechanic in an action game, thats my input.