• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've just got to Corel Prison in FF7 and, damn, I am absolutely loving it. Game has its jank but I can clearly see why some people think this is one of the best games ever made. Think I might even make an LTTP thread on it once I'm done (either that or once I've finished with the compilation stuff + replaying Remake + Intermission), cause I have a lot to say.

With that said, after I'm done what should I move on to next? Just go in release order for Advent Children, Crisis Core, etc? I only really wanna focus on stuff that's easily accessible, so no Dirge of Cerberus lol.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I've just got to Corel Prison in FF7 and, damn, I am absolutely loving it. Game has its jank but I can clearly see why some people think this is one of the best games ever made. Think I might even make an LTTP thread on it once I'm done (either that or once I've finished with the compilation stuff + replaying Remake + Intermission), cause I have a lot to say.

With that said, after I'm done what should I move on to next? Just go in release order for Advent Children, Crisis Core, etc? I only really wanna focus on stuff that's easily accessible, so no Dirge of Cerberus lol.
I really enjoy Crisis Core, the HD release makes it super accessible. I'm also a Stan for Type 0 and think more people should play it.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

Crisis Core Reunion and then Advent Children and youre good.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Made some Lightning fan art this weekend:

lightning.jpg

Plum

May 31, 2018
I really enjoy Crisis Core, the HD release makes it super accessible. I'm also a Stan for Type 0 and think more people should play it.
Crisis Core Reunion and then Advent Children and youre good.
Thanks! I'll pick up the Advent Children blu-ray for that OVA and the special features, and get Reunion for the accessibility you mentioned. Now to decide what version of Reunion to get...

Not sure I'm gonna play any other FF games quite so soon, though. Not with FFXVI, FF7/Compilation/Remake+DLC, and Rebirth all being played through in a single year. Too many other massive games out right now. They're mostly all waiting on my Switch to play however, so I'll do so one day.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just finished the OG Final Fantasy VII for the first time and...

giphy.gif

It's such a varied and unique game with so many different facets and styles, that it honestly feels like something I haven't ever played before. I can so clearly see why this game become such a beloved classic, even if I'd have probably hated playing it the 'normal' way (i.e. without the blessing that is 3X speed and a random encounters toggle). I can also see why people were clamouring for a remake; I could feel its age in almost every moment, even if it felt timeless in others.

Its graphics are a mixture of some of the most beautiful, if blurry, pre-rendered backgrounds I've ever seen, and CGI cutscenes that look jank as all fuck. Its gameplay is a mixture of incredibly slow, traditional JRPG gameplay (seriously, felt like I could go make a sandwich in the time it takes Bahamut Zero to attack), and genuinely impressive in-depth character customisation and world exploration. There's so much to love here but also a lot that you really need to look past in order to do so. Either way, I can definitely say that this is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

It's also, admittedly, made my anticipation for Rebirth into something fierce. Even if that game completely fumbles the bag in terms of its 'new' story elements, seeing so many of the PS1 elements made in cutting-edge new graphics is going to be an absolute treat. One thing that felt so sorely-lacking from the OG was more depth and 'time' with its main characters (especially as they all fuck off if they're not in your immediate party), and Remake - then Rebirth - are gonna do just that. So, yeah.

Gonna watch Advent Children next, I think. Just need to figure out what version to watch (Director's Cut? Complete? Amazon Prime? I don't know tbh). Then play that copy of Crisis Core I got for the Switch. Also gonna pre-order Rebirth in hopes of playing it immediately day-one. One thing's true and it's that I'm officially a FF7 fan now lol.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

It's such a varied and unique game with so many different facets and styles, that it honestly feels like something I haven't ever played before. I can so clearly see why this game become such a beloved classic, even if I'd have probably hated playing it the 'normal' way (i.e. without the blessing that is 3X speed and a random encounters toggle). I can also see why people were clamouring for a remake; I could feel its age in almost every moment, even if it felt timeless in others.

Its graphics are a mixture of some of the most beautiful, if blurry, pre-rendered backgrounds I've ever seen, and CGI cutscenes that look jank as all fuck. Its gameplay is a mixture of incredibly slow, traditional JRPG gameplay (seriously, felt like I could go make a sandwich in the time it takes Bahamut Zero to attack), and genuinely impressive in-depth character customisation and world exploration. There's so much to love here but also a lot that you really need to look past in order to do so. Either way, I can definitely say that this is one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

It's also, admittedly, made my anticipation for Rebirth into something fierce. Even if that game completely fumbles the bag in terms of its 'new' story elements, seeing so many of the PS1 elements made in cutting-edge new graphics is going to be an absolute treat. One thing that felt so sorely-lacking from the OG was more depth and 'time' with its main characters (especially as they all fuck off if they're not in your immediate party), and Remake - then Rebirth - are gonna do just that. So, yeah.

Gonna watch Advent Children next, I think. Just need to figure out what version to watch (Director's Cut? Complete? Amazon Prime? I don't know tbh). Then play that copy of Crisis Core I got for the Switch. Also gonna pre-order Rebirth in hopes of playing it immediately day-one. One thing's true and it's that I'm officially a FF7 fan now lol.

View: https://media4.giphy.com/media/MEkCj8zrmCxdN01zBQ/giphy.gif

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK

giphy.gif

AC Complete is the better version of the movie

Just.......go into it with lowered expectations

Dilly Dally Shilly Shally

Plum

May 31, 2018

lol thanks

I mean, this is definitely gonna get me to play some of the other Final Fantasies. Got most of them waiting on Switch. Already finished 15, 16, and now 7.
AC Complete is the better version of the movie

Just.......go into it with lowered expectations

Dilly Dally Shilly Shally
Yeah, figued that'd be the case lol. Thanks for confirmation! :)

Think I'll get the blu-ray as I can't seem to find the special features anywhere online, and they seem interesting.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
lol thanks

I mean, this is definitely gonna get me to play some of the other Final Fantasies. Got most of them waiting on Switch. Already finished 15, 16, and now 7.

Yeah, figued that'd be the case lol. Thanks for confirmation! :)

Think I'll get the blu-ray as I can't seem to find the special features anywhere online, and they seem interesting.

Don't forget Zodiac Age.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I just watched FF7: Advent Children...

...huh.

I both liked it, and hated it. Genuinely it feels like I could flip a coin and my opinion would either be 'this is genuine garbage' or 'this is really fun schlock.' Not sure what to feel; it's the definition of a 5/10 movie for me.

Ending Spoiler: Though I must admit the trope of 'hero stares into the distance to see their fallen friends one last time' trope always gets me.

DarthKamen

Jun 22, 2023
So I just watched FF7: Advent Children...

...huh.

I both liked it, and hated it. Genuinely it feels like I could flip a coin and my opinion would either be 'this is genuine garbage' or 'this is really fun schlock.' Not sure what to feel; it's the definition of a 5/10 movie for me.

Ending Spoiler: Though I must admit the trope of 'hero stares into the distance to see their fallen friends one last time' trope always gets me.
Fun schlock is my exact feeling on the film. It isn't good, it vastly misunderstands the characters, it's such a weird shade of grey, and it's got a pretty terrible dub...but it's so much fun to watch.

The final battle is one of my favorite animated action scenes in anything.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey FFC, I'd like to play FF Tactics but I'm kinda scared to mess up everything for those difficulty spikes. Are there any spoiler-free guides out there I can follow to make sure I don't mess up?
Also is there a difference between the PSX, PSP and Android versions?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Final Fantasy III is such a frustrating game. I'll be glad to be done with it and never play it again.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy III is such a frustrating game. I'll be glad to be done with it and never play it again.
Aww I love III; it's my favorite of the first trilogy. Though I do wish the pixel remaster fixed the whole 'dark knight only being useful before you have any weapons for it's thing.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain what the purpose of job levels in FF3 are? It's not like you unlock something like in FF5 as far as I've seen.
Thanks!

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain what the purpose of job levels in FF3 are? It's not like you unlock something like in FF5 as far as I've seen.
Thanks!
IIRC job levels impact how effective you are. Job levels impact number of hits when attacking, overall physical damage dealt, crit chance, effectiveness of magic and summons (black magic hits harder at higher job levels, white magic heals more at higher job levels), and special attacks like a Dragoon's jump deal more damage at higher job levels. If you have two characters that are the same overall level, but one has been used as a Black Mage more and one has been used as a White Mage more, swap their jobs and you should see the difference.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC job levels impact how effective you are. Job levels impact number of hits when attacking, overall physical damage dealt, crit chance, effectiveness of magic and summons (black magic hits harder at higher job levels, white magic heals more at higher job levels), and special attacks like a Dragoon's jump deal more damage at higher job levels. If you have two characters that are the same overall level, but one has been used as a Black Mage more and one has been used as a White Mage more, swap their jobs and you should see the difference.
Ok I see. What are base levels for then ?

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
Playing through FF7 again after putting it down last year (just got too busy) and echoing the statements from people above that it's just so, so good. Giving me the same feeling I had when I picked up Chrono Trigger. Hearing how good these games are you think you might be a bit disappointed but you can so clearly see why it's so beloved.

After I'm done this I'll play Crisis Core + Remake. I actually played Remake about 3 years ago having never played anything FF7 and really didn't like it, so I'm interested to see how I feel about it once I've finished 7 + Crisis Core. Rebirth looks like a significant improvement on it from what I've seen.

I'm at the Underwater Reactor at the moment though and this Carry Armour boss... nightmare. One of my least favourite JRPG boss types are ones that pick up your party members and hold them, can't stand it!