• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Whats the alternate chapter 13? I just played the regular one.

Basically, after people complained about Chapter 13 sucking or something, the developed an alternate side to it where you follow Gladio and Ignis making their way through the place concurrently as Noctis does.

It goes to pretty interesting lengths to expand the narrative during that portion, as has a heartwarming, then heartbreaking scene of Ravis that happens before Noctis see's him. It's actually pretty rad, and a good addition to the story!

You can even switch between both Noct and the other's trips at save points, though I don't know how you do it to get both sides of the story at the same time.

You can play it after you've played it with Noctis by selecting it in the extras menu, check it out! Not very long, but is pretty fun.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Basically, after people complained about Chapter 13 sucking or something, the developed an alternate side to it where you follow Gladio and Ignis making their way through the place concurrently as Noctis does.

It goes to pretty interesting lengths to expand the narrative during that portion, as has a heartwarming, then heartbreaking scene of Ravis that happens before Noctis see's him. It's actually pretty rad, and a good addition to the story!

You can even switch between both Noct and the other's trips at save points, though I don't know how you do it to get both sides of the story at the same time.

You can play it after you've played it with Noctis by selecting it in the extras menu, check it out! Not very long, but is pretty fun.
Alright, thanks !

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Platinumed FF9 just a few minutes ago. Game holds up what an absolute masterpiece. Last time I played it over 15 years ago and I was starting to wonder if it was just rose tinted glasses informing my fondness of it but nah. The one real problem I would have had is if the ps4 remaster didn't have the speed up option toggle that's honestly all this game needed. Also this has just reaffirmed my absolute disappointment in FF over the last decade of releases.

I was planning to give FF15 another try with all the DLC through gamepass but I wonder coming of off 9 if that isn't just going to be a repeat of my bad feelings on how lackluster the characters are. Cause back then I came of off Persona 5(jp release).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ia there a way to tell the Royal Edition has been applied to the main game on PS4?

I have the disc game and Royal unlocks via a code in the box but after the DL the name is still called FFXV and not FFXV Royal Edition and it doesn't say Royal Edition on the title screen

Oct 28, 2017
Ia there a way to tell the Royal Edition has been applied to the main game on PS4?

I have the disc game and Royal unlocks via a code in the box but after the DL the name is still called FFXV and not FFXV Royal Edition and it doesn't say Royal Edition on the title screen
I bought the dlc pack for my game and it shows up under the add-ons. Maybe check if it's in there and if it's installed?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If I was gonna play FFVI for the first time, would you recommend Wii VC, or the SNES Mini?
I played a bit of it on the VC years ago (I met Mog?) and I'm drawn to that because I can play on a CRT, but if the SNES Mini has better emulation etc. I'll happily play on that, especially since it'll be easier to set up lol.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
If I was gonna play FFVI for the first time, would you recommend Wii VC, or the SNES Mini?
I played a bit of it on the VC years ago (I met Mog?) and I'm drawn to that because I can play on a CRT, but if the SNES Mini has better emulation etc. I'll happily play on that, especially since it'll be easier to set up lol.
The SNES Mini is great cause you can use save states and it's plug and play, but if you have a Wii and CRT TV that's just as convenient and you get the benefit of wireless controllers. Well, retro games on Wii do look slightly dimmer cause of anti-seizure measures if that matters.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The SNES Mini is great cause you can use save states and it's plug and play, but if you have a Wii and CRT TV that's just as convenient and you get the benefit of wireless controllers. Well, retro games on Wii do look slightly dimmer cause of anti-seizure measures if that matters.

Oh, if it's just save states I'll go with VC lol. I've never really used those on classic games.
Thanks!

Oct 25, 2017
Drew a Prompto Selfie
3bdb71022dd6c24f6eb33b5c98685b09a737a2d0.jpg

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't stick with my full dlc replay of FF15 second chance attempt but I also learned I didn't need to cause I can just play the DLC episode from the menu.
It was kind of obvious where this DLC would slot in but still I can't not be frustrated at the fact that a game that is supposedly about brotherhood and bonds has their first supporting character arc(let's forget it's done in a dlc) be "I have to not be with my brother and be on my own to grow". This just seems plain stupid vs the alternative of actually having the arc progress through the support of the party.... *facepalm*
Emotionally it kind of rang hollow as well given that the catalyst was goddamn ravus which at that point was a rando niflheim officer that has only appeared once.
And the core of that catalyst was fear... urgh ok I guess main game just doesn't do much of anything to really show that.
FF15 is just a through and through frustrating experience I guess which is better than a boring one.....

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Going to be doing an interview with the legendary Yoko Shimomura live on Twitch this Thursday at https://www.twitch.tv/fikrakw/

Additional info can be found in the pic below

Yoko was the composer for FF XV (one of the best things about it tbh) and she is not here to promote any single game, so it will be more about her work in general and just a friendly chat with a legend :D

If you have any questions let me know and I hope to see you in a couple of days!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Help me out here: What were the best weapos for each character in FF13?
I think they each have at least 2 weapons that are worthwhile, but can't remember them for the life of me @_@

EDIT: OK FF wiki is showing them so of these which are worth leveling up?
Light-
Lionheart (Quick Stagger)
Axis Blade (Atk gains ATB)
Galdius (High atk)
Blazfire Sabre (balanced atk and magic)

Sahz-
Spica Defenders (bonus to buffs IIRC)

Snow-
Paladin
Power Circle

Hope-
Otshrivani
Vidofnir

Vanille-
Belladona Wand (improved debuff)
Pearlwing Staff

Fang-
Pandoran Spear (improved debuff)
Bladed Lance

Far as Light goes, what's a good weapon to upgrade for her? I think I can manage the other characters' pref. weapon.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Help me out here: What were the best weapos for each character in FF13?
I think they each have at least 2 weapons that are worthwhile, but can't remember them for the life of me @_@

EDIT: OK FF wiki is showing them so of these which are worth leveling up?
Light-
Lionheart (Quick Stagger)
Axis Blade (Atk gains ATB)
Galdius (High atk)
Blazfire Sabre (balanced atk and magic)

Sahz-
Spica Defenders (bonus to buffs IIRC)

Snow-
Paladin
Power Circle

Hope-
Otshrivani
Vidofnir

Vanille-
Belladona Wand (improved debuff)
Pearlwing Staff

Fang-
Pandoran Spear (improved debuff)
Bladed Lance

Far as Light goes, what's a good weapon to upgrade for her? I think I can manage the other characters' pref. weapon.

Type in FFxiii weapon upgrade guide into google, there will be a very lengthy post on gamefaqs by agentnoun.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
According to my "My Decade on Playstation" results, only 30 people have the Monster of the Deep plat, so no more than that I guess lol.

Yeah, i would imagine the combof XIV and IX alone puts you in pretty rare company, you should be very proud!

I have VII, XII, XIII, XIII-2, LR, Type-0, WoFF, and XV but those are all pretty reasonable platinums, XIV probably takes more time than all those combined, and they dont have anything like the jump rope trophy in IX.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i would imagine the combof XIV and IX alone puts you in pretty rare company, you should be very proud!

I have VII, XII, XIII, XIII-2, LR, Type-0, WoFF, and XV but those are all pretty reasonable platinums, XIV probably takes more time than all those combined, and they dont have anything like the jump rope trophy in IX.

Yeah, XIV's plat was pretty bad. It actually has a really high percentage of players who've gotten it though.
Dissidia was probably the worst.

Mine are.
VII
VIII
IX
X
X-2
XII
Crystal Defenders (No Plat)
XIII
XIII-2
LR
XIV
XV (plus all the DLC trophies)
XV: A King's Tale (No Plat)
XV: Pocket Edition
XV: Monster of the Deep
XV: Comrades Standalone (No Plat)
WoFF
Type-0
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon
Adventures of Mana (called Final Fantasy Gaiden in Japan)
Dissidia NT (Didn't get the Free Edition trophies, but they're all dupes, so I'm happy not to count them lol)

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
been listening to the Final Fantasy deep dives on retronauts lately and it's put me in the mood for all of them. While waiting for VII Remake I'm playing VIII remaster and waiting for my copy of FFVII PS1 to come in the mail. I'm also about to start Crisis Core which I've never played outside of an hour or so. I also started XIII as I never finished that game either and I want to play the whole trilogy at some time

good times.

Would it be worth it to buy a ps2 (been wanting to honestly) to play Dirge of Cerbius? I've never played that game either.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
been listening to the Final Fantasy deep dives on retronauts lately and it's put me in the mood for all of them. While waiting for VII Remake I'm playing VIII remaster and waiting for my copy of FFVII PS1 to come in the mail. I'm also about to start Crisis Core which I've never played outside of an hour or so. I also started XIII as I never finished that game either and I want to play the whole trilogy at some time

good times.

Would it be worth it to buy a ps2 (been wanting to honestly) to play Dirge of Cerbius? I've never played that game either.

If your a big ff7 fan and craving anything FF7 then go for it, but it wasnt a very good game by ps2 standards and i doubt 15 years of gaming progress has helped much.

Crisis Core is a dramatically better game.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
The funniest thing about that game is that Vincent does tons of cool, acrobatic shit in all the cutscenes, and then when you go back to the gameplay, a street curb or cardboard box stops you cold.

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
If your a big ff7 fan and craving anything FF7 then go for it, but it wasnt a very good game by ps2 standards and i doubt 15 years of gaming progress has helped much.

Crisis Core is a dramatically better game.
The funniest thing about that game is that Vincent does tons of cool, acrobatic shit in all the cutscenes, and then when you go back to the gameplay, a street curb or cardboard box stops you cold.
Yeah, I'm gonna buy it. I've always wanted to play it so despite whatever flaws it might have I'm gonna give it a go. I've got a ton of other PS2 games I want to play as well so it's a no brainer.

Thanks.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm gonna buy it. I've always wanted to play it so despite whatever flaws it might have I'm gonna give it a go. I've got a ton of other PS2 games I want to play as well so it's a no brainer.

Thanks.
I honestly didn't mind it. I consider its story official fanfic, but I didn't mind it. At the time, I thought it was a passable shooter for those of us with the reflexes of a turn-based RPG fan.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Today marks the first time I've ever beaten all of the FFVII weapons. I've been playing this game since 1998, and this is the first time I've accomplished this. Took a week, took some W-Item spam, but I did it.

I've never fully beaten FFVII either. Always gotten to Northern Crater, I've seen the ending plenty of times, but I've never gotten the credits to roll myself. Time to knock that off my list, too.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Today marks the first time I've ever beaten all of the FFVII weapons. I've been playing this game since 1998, and this is the first time I've accomplished this. Took a week, took some W-Item spam, but I did it.

I've never fully beaten FFVII either. Always gotten to Northern Crater, I've seen the ending plenty of times, but I've never gotten the credits to roll myself. Time to knock that off my list, too.

I remember the first time i beat Emerald but nobody was home and i was desperately searching the neighborhood for kids to show what i had done LOL

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the first time i beat Emerald but nobody was home and i was desperately searching the neighborhood for kids to show what i had done LOL
I screenshotted the death of both Emerald and Ruby. Thank god for emulators (and the PC version of course).

Finally beat the game too. Sat there for too long wondering if the stars at the end are ever going away. They probably won't.

Now I gotta decide which FF game to play next, and if I should get FFVIII & IX on Steam or just stick to my emulated versions. I'm leaning toward PC, but then I won't be able to use Retroarch's slomo function for Zell's limit break.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In Final Fantasy X HD, Square could have had more respect for the player's time.

When you lose a boss battle, why not give the option to retry it? Why do I have to load everything back, have to go trough all the dialogs and cutscenes again? It makes zero sense. It made me quit the game a lot of times already and it might make me not want to finish it.

P5 gives you the option to restart the battle immediately after been defeated. And that made me want to keep fighting until I won.

FFXHD is just wasting my time.

Jan 11, 2018
FFX is almost 20 years old. Comparing it to a game that just came out a few years ago isn't exactly fair. They're not going to go out of their way to reprogram how the game works at this point. I mean, it'd be nice if they added an option to skip cutscenes but a retry option is probably too much work considering how old the game code is. FFXIII was the first game in the series to let you retry, I think.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
FFX is almost 20 years old. Comparing it to a game that just came out a few years ago isn't exactly fair. They're not going to go out of their way to reprogram how the game works at this point. I mean, it'd be nice if they added an option to skip cutscenes but a retry option is probably too much work considering how old the game code is. FFXIII was the first game in the series to let you retry, I think.
Yeah, fair enough. Still very frustating, though. I just think that it would be a great addition for a remaster like FFXHD.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. How are the PS1 ports of IV and V? I own IV on PS1 and PSP and V on PS1. Are they playable?

Jan 11, 2018
Hi all. How are the PS1 ports of IV and V? I own IV on PS1 and PSP and V on PS1. Are they playable?

PS1 port of IV is the only English version based on the original Super Famicom release (before it was nerfed for North America). Load times are awful. V is better on GBA, and arguably Steam as well despite how ugly it is - but if you've got no other options it's ok. I know you didn't ask about it, but VI tends to get lumped in with the other two, but is a much better port overall with more typical PS1 load times (less loading than in FFIX even).

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PS1 port of IV is the only English version based on the original Super Famicom release (before it was nerfed for North America). Load times are awful. V is better on GBA, and arguably Steam as well despite how ugly it is - but if you've got no other options it's ok. I know you didn't ask about it, but VI tends to get lumped in with the other two, but is a much better port overall with more typical PS1 load times (less loading than in FFIX even).

Thanks. I have an SNES mini so that is how I plan on playing VI. Maybe I'll look around for a copy of V on GBA since I still have a DS lite. I always just worry about fakes.

Jan 11, 2018
Thanks. I have an SNES mini so that is how I plan on playing VI. Maybe I'll look around for a copy of V on GBA since I still have a DS lite. I always just worry about fakes.

Yeah, it's really hard to find legit copies. You need to know what you're looking for. FWIW, American copies are more likely to be fake than European ones.

The Complete Collection edition of FFIV on PSP is my preferred way of playing that game, by the way. It's a shame we never got V and VI in the same style.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I have slowly trudged through FFIX for the last twoish years on my Vita and I was actually motivated to try to finish it during quarantine until this happened: I beat the Desert Palace and went to Esto Gaza. I could have saved outside but I figured I was walking into a town so I wanted to talk to some people first. I walk in and get in a surprise battle where I'm hit with a ton of status effects and I die, taken back to before the boss of the desert palace.

This was broke me. I don't want to play this game anymore. I like the story and locations OK, and I've gotten over my hangup with the character designs, but battles are just too slow, too frequent, and rarely fun.

I'm going to start up the VIII remaster on Switch instead. that's a game I also tried on Vita and dropped, but mostly because I felt like I had done a poor job with the mechanics for most of the game and screwed myself over.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm going to start up the VIII remaster on Switch instead. that's a game I also tried on Vita and dropped, but mostly because I felt like I had done a poor job with the mechanics for most of the game and screwed myself over.

If you've got any questions on how the mechanics in that games works, Don't be Afraid to post them here!

But the basics of junction is essentially that you stock up on a finite number of magic spells, and then you can assign them to specific stats to boost them. How much you boost them is decided by the type of spell, strength/tier of the spell and amount you have stocked. You can use an auto-junction command to let the game decide junction set-ups for you based on which stats you prioritise. Of course, casting these junctioned spells in battle means the stat they're tied to will decrease a bit.

You can also assign a spell to status attack and status defence, and early on in the game you're being encouraged to add Blind to Squall's status attack, so he gets a chance to influct blind on a powerful enemy just by attacking it (the more Blind spells in his inventory the higher the chance it'll be inflicted).

Then you also equip GF that come with abilities that they have learned, or can learn (and you need to manage this via the GF menu). This includes basic things like which stats you can junction magic to, but also unique commands like Diabolos's Enc-Half/None, Siren's Move-Find and Leviathan's Recover.

Of course, there's more to learn. Like how weapon upgrades work, Triple Triad and Limit Breaks. But I think most of the mechanics can be rather easily explained in layman's terms, in less time than it takes the game to bombard you with lengthy and sometimes confusing tutorials.

I do recommend reading through a bunch of the stuff on Squall's computer in the classroom though, especially Selphie's blog (which will get updated throughout the game as well) and the message board.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Some (newish) Amano FF VII drawings

I really wish I had the money right now T__T

HH5J8tm.jpg

DetIn8Jl.jpg

9UnCjZdl.jpg

Going to be doing an interview with the legendary Yoko Shimomura live on Twitch this Thursday

Additional info can be found in the pic below

Yoko was the composer for FF XV (one of the best things about it tbh) and she is not here to promote any single game, so it will be more about her work in general and just a friendly chat with a legend :D

If you have any questions let me know and I hope to see you in a couple of days!

Wow, how did you manage to arrange that interview? :O

That must have been quite difficult.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Some (newish) Amano FF VII drawings

I really wish I had the money right now T__T

HH5J8tm.jpg

DetIn8Jl.jpg

9UnCjZdl.jpg

Wow, how did you manage to arrange that interview? :O

That must have been quite difficult.

No, it was the opposite. She immediately said yes because she likes me and my work and you can tell she was happy to be on the show and talk with us. The interview ended up being around 90 minutes or so

www.youtube.com

Yoko Shimomura on the Wiyana Show

Wiyana which means "With Us" in Arabic is a live gaming talk show every Thursday evening that is the first of its kind in the middle east, where we interview...

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
How is the Steam version of Final Fantasy VII? I'm thinking about buying it. I haven't played VII in probably 15 years. I charged up my Vita last night and tried to start a new game on it, but my hands are so screwed up I couldn't stand to hold it for more than ten minutes. I was thinking about buying the VII and VIII combo pack for Switch, but I don't know how it looks on Switch. At least with the PC version you can install the upscaled backgrounds. And with the pandemic, I don't know if it's safe to get any packages through the mail.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
How is the Steam version of Final Fantasy VII? I'm thinking about buying it. I haven't played VII in probably 15 years. I charged up my Vita last night and tried to start a new game on it, but my hands are so screwed up I couldn't stand to hold it for more than ten minutes. I was thinking about buying the VII and VIII combo pack for Switch, but I don't know how it looks on Switch. At least with the PC version you can install the upscaled backgrounds. And with the pandemic, I don't know if it's safe to get any packages through the mail.

The problem with the steam version is that it doesn't have the speed modifiers, which is by far the best feature of the new versions.

Do you prefer the customization of mods or the QoL of speed modifiers?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I could handle it being slow. I've played the PS1 version half a dozen times or so over the years. What I can't handle is a blurry mess. That's why I've never bought VIII or IX remasters. The low res backgrounds kill them for me.