Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Nah first time hearing about this, did square release a statement at all about it after it was found?
Nope! So it's still unconfirmed. But if (and let's be honest, when) it does happen, and if it's Virtuous who've done it, it'll be an interesting indicator of how long these things take!

Either way I'm hoping it's announced for next year.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
XIII felt really high class

giphy.gif
nah, this is bad and aged poorly.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
XIII had incredible menus that were easy to use and pleasing to the eyes with the little animations when opening a determined character being very sleek and cute.

I am also a bit biased towards XII menu becuase I love the more "somber" aesthetic.

XV, X and X-2 (cry) can kick rocks lmao, they look fan-made or like glorified placeholders even at release.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I hadn't played XV in about 2 or more years so I booted it up recently after the hype of it being 60fps on nextgen. The menus were somewhat convoluted for the weapon switching and clothing switching and the categories. I definitely forgot how to use it.

I always think back to VII or XIIIs systems being really simple.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Either the one in FFIV or VII for me.

The modern FF menus with the big avatars or characters are hideous imo.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the classic style as seen in IX, but as for modern ones, I liked XV's menus more than FFVIIr

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The XIII menu reminds me of how much i like Lightning CGI model in that game, i wish they hadn't of changed it, she looks amazing.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
IX and XII, imo

XIII looks cool, but the moving backgrounds seems a bit too much "overdesigned"

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I know that it's not quite in the spirit of the thread, but I have to mention it:

Even as a kid, it always bothered me that Ⅷ has color banding in the menus.
I always thought it must have been an issue with the PC port and some obscure color format being used by the PSX which was not supported by 3D Accelerator cards on PCs at the time.
But no, it turned out to be like that everywhere. Why?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
XIII, XV and VIIR feel so alive and I love them for that!

I don't want to go back to anything less alive unless we're doing something retro, and even then I would want them to take some of the visual flare from modern entries' menus.

Oct 28, 2017
From the OP's images, FF6, FF7 and FF7:R is good (with FF7:R obviously being better due to age).

All others literally spam you with numbers which don't seem that relevant for landing page when you open up the menu, or those fonts which are kinda hard to read sometimes.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
XII is the sleekest and most immediately comprehensible so I think it's that

I know it originated the trope, but I think the original VII menu has been tarnished by all the bad RPG Maker games that use the exact same menu format, it makes it feel kind of low rent looking at it now, if you don't have nostalgia for it. I'm kind of surprised seeing people say VII's is the best, but I wonder if nostalgia and being in the right time/place when that game came out has something to do with it.

And that FFX menu's just awful, just feels like big overwhelming block of text without images or enough space to let anything breathe. It feels like it'd take just a bit too long to get to what I need while navigating that menu. FF1-6 menus feel a bit more simplified which I appreciate. There's a lot of information there still, but it feel manageable and well-spaced.

Note that I haven't played FFVII or FFX myself, but have absorbed a lot from those games just from cultural osmosis.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised people like 13's. Like, they're so ugly to me. Tiny fonts, awful color palette, not cozy at all. Not my thing at all.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
13 is the clear winner.

X-2 is quite good too, I just wish the font was a little more legible and stood out a bit. X is unique and XIIZA looks excellent but can be obnoxious to navigate sometimes, such as in the Gambit, Item and License Board menus which got on my nerves quite a bit.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
blue.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh