Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This whole thing just deflates me so much cause I want to be as excited as ya'll are but I'm missing the fundamental experience needed to do so. The trailer is just so off-putting to me through its sheer focus on Proper Nouns and characters that I, as someone who could have only ever experienced FF7 retroactively (because I didn't even know it existed until the game was over 10 years old), will never care for as much as others do. It's not for lack of trying either; after I (finally) finish TotK I plan to jump back into the first Final Fantasy - which I'm actually really liking so far.

Yeah it must be a bit like seeing Star Wars for the first time decades later and feeling a bit "thats it?" about it I guess? Remake/Rebirth/Re-whatever does cater to the 'nostalgic' crowd that is familiar with the original. For many, it puts a spin on a story most of its demographic knows well; but I can imagine that a lot of that is lost on a 'first time player'.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Ooooooh this is going to be so goooooood

the remake was excellent and the DLC also

loooove everything about this so far

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Data caps?

It's not the rest of the world's fault that the US is stuck in 1996 in terms of internet.

Data caps literally unheard of in the UK and I presume most of EU, and likely most places...
Data caps are relatively new to the US, Comcast didn't start enforcing until like 2016. The concept was unheard of here until mobile phone plans conditioned people into accepting it as normal. American internet is in this awful place where I have enough speed to stream 4K video, but not enough of a data cap to stream 1080p video.

Last edited:

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
watching back and noticed that chocobos have mechanics for scent and scour using left and right on the d-pad…I wonder if that means they can find items out in the field?

oty

Feb 28, 2023
the beginning of the trailer with aerith, tifa, barret and red xiii seemingly dying because of the tornado is 100% Zack timeline shit.

pqBZ9sc.png
that would actually be insane. zack living might be the thing that destroys a timeline, teaching Cloud that not everything in life has to be golden

will this conclude the rest of the FF7 story or will there be one more game after this?
one more

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Whew, this looked fantastic, i'm in!
I'm gonna have to play through the remake again but on PS5 this time and maybe the yuffie episode

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm sure people have told you this before, but if you can handle the age, I highly recommend playing the OG VII.

No matter what Square's marketers say, these games are absolutely designed to be supplemental to that game, not replace it.
I probably will this year; I own all the FF games available on Switch and I definitely should start playing some of them. Tbh it'd be nice to avoid another situation where a crucial emotional beat is ruined by some random cartoon cat showing up with no prior context lol.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Part 1 was one of my favourite games of all time and this looks like the perfect follow up so far. Easily my most anticipated title.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Holy hell, this looked incridible. I look at this trailer and wonder what happened with XVI? Did half its budget go to cancelled NFT tie-ins? That weightless swordplay, lack of a party system, chocobos, and boss battles being full QTE events-- I don't think I'll be missing much skipping XVI and waiting for the superior Rebirth. Also two disc is wild, game is going to be huge.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't even a big fan of Remake 1 in terms of the padding, but holy shit - graphically this looks bananas.

To those who don't think this isn't all that graphically, you make this old gamer feel ancient 😭

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
God damn that looks good. Seems like they've gone full open world with the world map instead of the chibi style. Really impressive looking.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
youtu.be

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH – Summer Game Fest 2023 Trailer

Get a first glimpse at the captivating story, thrilling gameplay and expansive world of FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH, the highly anticipated new story in the cr...

what is up with multiple atb bars on the lower right

Either the resource for team attacks, or possibly for character swapping if that's also in the game (or both). Tales of Berseria uses a combat resource for character swapping as well (although in that game it's using the equivalent of the limit break bar). Could be something else entirely too however, but I'd imagine since ATB is already a time based resource that the new one won't function similarly.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I get this is a trilogy of the original, but is the story the same too?
It is left to speculation. There is a new story hook that fate has been defied but it could just be misdirection and some things must always happen, or the only way to defeat Sephiroth is to renew the events and reject Sephiroth tempting the characters to do otherwise.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to like the first one but i kinda hate it

Glad who can enjoy it!

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
It's most likely a misdirection, but it's interesting the way they framed it in the trailer.
You go back to the reveal trailer from last year and there's dialog from Tifa talking about Cloud thinking she's dead.

That part isn't a misdirect. It's just Sephiroth whispering shit and fucking with Cloud's head.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Damn gotta watch this later. But goddamn this is gonna be like a billion gigabytes.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Holy hell, this looked incridible. I look at this trailer and wonder what happened with XVI? Did half its budget go to cancelled NFT tie-ins? That weightless swordplay, lack of a party system, chocobos, and boss battles being full QTE events-- I don't think I'll be missing much skipping XVI and waiting for the superior Rebirth. Also two disc is wild, game is going to be huge.
You're trying too hard mate.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
PR blurb

Yoshinori Kitase, producer, said, "We're honored to bring FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH to players around the world early next year. In the next installment of this thrilling tale, Cloud and his friends—both new and returning—will embark on a new adventure, so all players can enjoy this story, even those without any familiarity with the previous title or the original FINAL FANTASY VII. The entire team has worked fervently with love and adoration for the world of FINAL FANTASY VII to deliver an unforgettable experience for new adventurers and longtime fans alike, reaching new heights of cinematic storytelling, immersive and fast-paced combat, and rich exploration across a vast world. We can't wait to share more details later this year."

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH is the second entry in the FINAL FANTASY VII remake project, which retells the story of the iconic fantasy game that redefined the RPG genre in three distinct games. FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH picks up with iconic heroes Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith and Red XIII after they escape from the dystopian city Midgar and sees them embark on a journey in pursuit of Sephiroth, the vengeful swordsman from Cloud's past who was thought to be dead. In this standalone adventure, players will explore an expansive world, all brought to life with a new level of graphical fidelity, developed specifically to leverage the power of the PS5 console. As players unravel a gripping narrative rich with mysteries to uncover, they will also witness the personal journey of each party member and strengthen their bonds to work together and face off against powerful enemies.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
Holy hell, this looked incridible. I look at this trailer and wonder what happened with XVI? Did half its budget go to cancelled NFT tie-ins?
why does this happen lmao

this 100% gonna be big separated area, tales of style

i absolutely do not believe they made it open world, i would be very surprised if they did
me too. probably xii-like, big zones but not open world. i hope so at least!

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Yes because obviously only one of them can be good.