• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Delivery from Amazon Japan!

IMG-3623.jpg

Apr 19, 2018
Four more unreleased music recordings from Chapter 13 -- and these are definitely some of my personal faves!

Love the mournful mix of Aerith's and The Turks' theme during "A Grave Injury", while "Trial's End" features one of my favorite cutscene renditions of the Main Theme of FFVII since waaaaay back in Chapter 1's Evening at Kalm.

But it's "Mural Chamber - History of the Cetra" that's undeniably the big centerpiece missing from the OST. At first, I thought they were pulling melodic inspiration from 'The Promised Land - Cycle of Souls' from Remake, but it sounds like they're reprising a brand new theme here first introduced in Whispers Beckon from Chapter 9, which they'll also reprise in the upcoming 'Bring Me the Black Materia'. Really love the muscular choir work, especially during the Battle Edit!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Final batch of Chapter 13 music recordings now up!

As mentioned, the OST's Revival of the Black Materia is an impressively lengthy track, but despite that, there's still a significant chunk missing toward the end where Cloud pursues Aerith, as well as when he reclaims and delivers the Black Materia to Seph. The former is a disappointing omission, as it's an absolutely INCREDIBLE choir-fueled arrangement that combines Those Chosen by the Planet, Aerith's Theme and extensions of the new Mural/History of the Cetra theme. It absolutely deserves the nine minute runtime given here.

As usual, all of Chapter 13's recordings are available via the Unreleased Tracks Playlist here.

Time to move on to Chapter 14, with its scads and scads of cutscene cues that's driving me batty cutting and compiling them all. ;P

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
Final batch of Chapter 13 music recordings now up!

As mentioned, the OST's Revival of the Black Materia is an impressively lengthy track, but despite that, there's still a significant chunk missing toward the end where Cloud pursues Aerith, as well as when he reclaims and delivers the Black Materia to Seph. The former is a disappointing omission, as it's an absolutely INCREDIBLE choir-fueled arrangement that combines Those Chosen by the Planet, Aerith's Theme and extensions of the new Mural/History of the Cetra theme. It absolutely deserves the nine minute runtime given here.

As usual, all of Chapter 13's recordings are available via the Unreleased Tracks Playlist here.

Time to move on to Chapter 14, with its scads and scads of cutscene cues that's driving me batty cutting and compiling them all. ;P

Your work on this is outstanding and very much appreciated :)

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan. Soundscapey self-indulgence that is his signature and undercuts the battle. Where's Birth of a God?

I wouldn't say it's self-indulgent but I definitely don't feel like these games play to his greatest strengths, which are harmonic and instrumental invention. It sounds like he's being told to stick to a very cinematic, pseudo-Hollywood soundworld.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man the more I listen to JENOVA Emergent, the more I hate it. It's good for like a minute and then it's straight zzzzzzzz.

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024
I wouldn't say it's self-indulgent but I definitely don't feel like these games play to his greatest strengths, which are harmonic and instrumental invention. It sounds like he's being told to stick to a very cinematic, pseudo-Hollywood soundworld.

I am a big fan of his work on LOVELESS though.

"Loveless - The Dragon King Varvados" in particular sounds a lot like "Eden Under Siege" which is my favorite action music he's done.

I think the biggest issue with Sephiroth Reborn was that it was a complete mismatch with what was happening on screen.

Man the more I listen to JENOVA Emergent, the more I hate it. It's good for like a minute and then it's straight zzzzzzzz.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate it, but it has the same issue as "J-E-N-O-V-A -Quickening" from Remake. Some parts are really excellent but it kind of drags otherwise.

Tenacity is the only remixed Jenova theme so far which manages to sound amazing from beginning to end.

Last edited:

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I got mine in from Japan and I'm pretty disappointed the English versions of Kyrie and Stamp's themes aren't on here. I figured they would put both versions on here. Did the version from the SQ store have the English versions on the special disc?

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I appreciate all three JENOVA remixes so far.

The last part of Quickening is a perfect straight-up modern remaster of the original track.

Emergent is just really bold and experimental. I love how it's twisted into a horror version and the chanting is amazing

Tenacity is basically what the Airbuster did to Those Who Fight Further. Taking the original track and just elevating it over and over for 8 minutes of non-stop adrenaline.

Between all of those, as well as it being used as a cutscene motif, JENOVA has been handled pretty well. I can't really think of much more I could ask for except for a version that just goes entirely electronic/synth done by Suzuki.

Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't even received a shipping notification. =/

Square Enix store sucking as usual. I preordered mine a long time ago and just checked it. Says Awaiting fullfillment, and under the product it says: "The product cannot be reordered because its out of stock."

Just hoping its not another pixel remaster fuck up on their part :/

EDIT: I guess SQE store heard me complaining, just updated to shipped. :P

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Before jumping into unreleased music recordings for Chapter 14, I wanted to go back to Chapter 8 using New Game+, and grab those gorgeous Gold Saucer dating tracks I'd missed out on the first time. So now, in addition to Tifa, there's theme arrangements for Aerith's and Yuffie's visit to Cloud at his hotel room -- as well as the rendition of "On Our Way" that plays by default if he's going stag.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBLiYjkjW8I

View: https://youtu.be/hEqllOtwNzo

View: https://youtu.be/4WvvJTstR90

View: https://youtu.be/lL__x_jma1M

I'll have Chapter 8's subsequent Event Square arrangements up next in a bit!

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say…

Is this a spoiler? Lol. Villain music spoilers for the third game?

I hope they go absolutely buck wild with One Winged Angel for the third game and Safer Seph. I think Rebirth's is lacking compared to Remake, which I actually really love with how chaotic it is lol. I haven't actually done the final fight yet, so maybe the reason Rebirth's kind of "rushes" is because that phase is shorter? Guess I'll see. But I want a big, wild, "we will never do another remix of One Winged Angel EVER AGAIN" remix.

Maybe do a straight version first, and then go totally wild and "cosmic" with it or something, I don't know. But I want to hear the Latin choir in my bones lol. I want to feel like the person who remixed it expects to never work another day in their life and this was their last shot.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
I think One Winged Angel - Reborn is the best rendition of theme since the OG FFVII, probably because it's close to the original even if it's missing some parts, probably we'll see the full version in part 3. The changes with strings part were great bty the way.

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024
There's something that's been driving me mad for a few days.

Do we know the title of that track or from where it comes from? I think it's been used in Ever Crisis but I'm not sure this is where it debuted.

I'm talking about the soundtrack of round 1 and 2 of Legendary Bout: To Be A Hero

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say…

Is this a spoiler? Lol. Villain music spoilers for the third game?

I hope they go absolutely buck wild with One Winged Angel for the third game and Safer Seph. I think Rebirth's is lacking compared to Remake, which I actually really love with how chaotic it is lol. I haven't actually done the final fight yet, so maybe the reason Rebirth's kind of "rushes" is because that phase is shorter? Guess I'll see. But I want a big, wild, "we will never do another remix of One Winged Angel EVER AGAIN" remix.

Maybe do a straight version first, and then go totally wild and "cosmic" with it or something, I don't know. But I want to hear the Latin choir in my bones lol. I want to feel like the person who remixed it expects to never work another day in their life and this was their last shot.
Yeah, this is where my expectations are at too. We've had so many remixes that the version that plays when it actually would've played in the OG needs to REALLY stand out.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Before jumping into unreleased music recordings for Chapter 14, I wanted to go back to Chapter 8 using New Game+, and grab those gorgeous Gold Saucer dating tracks I'd missed out on the first time. So now, in addition to Tifa, there's theme arrangements for Aerith's and Yuffie's visit to Cloud at his hotel room -- as well as the rendition of "On Our Way" that plays by default if he's going stag.

I'll have Chapter 8's subsequent Event Square arrangements up next in a bit!

There's really so much music in this game, damn. I had already forgotten about these

Btw do Red and Barret have equivalents to the "Gold Saucer - Night out with [The Girls]" arrangements found on the OST? Can't seem to find any on YouTube. But damn, I really wanna hear the Gold Saucer x Cosmo Canyon mashup.

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024
There's really so much music in this game, damn. I had already forgotten about these

Btw do Red and Barret have equivalents to the "Gold Saucer - Night out with [The Girls]" arrangements found on the OST? Can't seem to find any on YouTube. But damn, I really wanna hear the Gold Saucer x Cosmo Canyon mashup.

They have their own arrangement. Even Cait Sith has his own.

Everyone gets their version of Night Out and Words Drowned by Fireworks but only the girls get the orchestral arrangement of their themes.

thematic

Oct 31, 2017
I really like Grassland theme

it brings back nostalgic memories from the old game and the excitement of new Rebirth exploring the fresh open world after Kalm

Apr 19, 2018
They have their own arrangement. Even Cait Sith has his own.

Everyone gets their version of Night Out and Words Drowned by Fireworks but only the girls get the orchestral arrangement of their themes.

Ah, is that right? Looks like I'll have to go back in and grab those as well! Do they also get theme arrangements when they first come to visit Cloud at his room?

EDIT: Also, does Words Drowned by Fireworks get fully arranged per character, or do you just mean for their 'intimate' moment at the very end of the sequence?

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024
Ah, is that right? Looks like I'll have to go back in and grab those as well! Do they also get theme arrangements when they first come to visit Cloud at his room?

EDIT: Also, does Words Drowned by Fireworks get fully arranged per character, or do you just mean for their 'intimate' moment at the very end of the sequence?

Yes, there's also an arrangement of each of the male character's themes (+ Cait Sith when you select "others") when they knock at the door. It's only on chapter 12 though.

I'm not sure for Words Drowned by Fireworks. It might just be the intimate moment.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Yes, there's also an arrangement of each of the male character's themes (+ Cait Sith when you select "others") when they knock at the door. It's only on chapter 12 though.

I'm not sure for Words Drowned by Fireworks. It might just be the intimate moment.

So I did a cursory test of all the characters, and it looks like the girls all get a singular rendition of Words Drowned by Fireworks -- BUT, there's very minute variations of the core Fireworks theme between the three, specifically centered around the two-thirds mark leading up to the end.

Red and Barret each share a slightly varied arrangement of Fireworks, made up of additional instrument overlays including harpsichord and harmonica, while Cait Sith comes closest to getting an ENTIRELY new arrangement, including a whimsical take of Vincent's The Nightmare Begins that took me entirely off-guard. (That particular date was just awkwardly-played comedy gold, lol.)

Every single character -- Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Red, Barret -- all appear to have an 'intimate moment' segment at the very end, which is a riff of their theme. Cait's, I believe, might be the aforementioned Vincent's Theme appearance, but I'll have to re-test with the intimate toggle turned off.

Between Red, Barret, and Cait, I'd say Barret and Cait come out with the best sounding takes of their themes with the 'Date Night' (visit to Cloud's room) and 'Night Out' (exploring the Gold Saucer) arrangements. It's unfortunate that Red doesn't use Cosmo Canyon for his variations, and are instead based on his more minimally composed Red XIII's Theme.

Last edited:

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024
So I did a cursory test of all the characters, and it looks like the girls all get a singular rendition of Words Drowned by Fireworks -- BUT, there's very minute variations of the core Fireworks theme between the three, specifically centered around the two-thirds mark leading up to the end.

Red and Barret each share a slightly varied arrangement of Fireworks, made up of additional instrument overlays including harpsichord and harmonica, while Cait Sith comes closest to getting an ENTIRELY new arrangement, including a whimsical take of Vincent's The Nightmare Begins that took me entirely off-guard. (That particular date was just awkwardly-played comedy gold, lol.)

Every single character -- Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Red, Barret -- all appear to have an 'intimate moment' segment at the very end, which is a riff of their theme. Cait's, I believe, might be the aforementioned Vincent's Theme appearance, but I'll have to re-test with the intimate toggle turned off.

Between Red, Barret, and Cait, I'd say Barret and Cait come out with the best sounding takes of their themes with the 'Date Night' (visit to Cloud's room) and 'Night Out' (exploring the Gold Saucer) arrangements. It's unfortunate that Red doesn't use Cosmo Canyon for his variations, and are instead based on his more minimally composed Red XIII's Theme.

Wow, great write-up. I knew they were a lot of variations but I didn't realize even the gondola part of the date had so many subtle changes.
It's incredible the amount of work they put into this game. There are many games with shorter soundtracks than what they did for chapter 12 alone.

Apr 19, 2018
And here's the rest of Chapter 12's Gold Saucer date themes, split across two posts. (I'm considering putting the "intimate moment" cues up in a second recording later on, though I'm hitting a snag where I can't get Yuffie's to trigger for some reason, despite the option being toggled on. Maybe something to do with my affinity level with her not being high enough?)

View: https://youtu.be/8nkSsBzJUuU

View: https://youtu.be/cV7iLBOd8Gc

View: https://youtu.be/5HOkiyJLVdc

View: https://youtu.be/bixhaz5FKeo

Apr 19, 2018
And now, the final recording push: Chapter 14!

No embeds, just direct links -- and as always, the full playlist of unreleased tracks can be found here:

Quick notes: I wasn't originally going to include the End Credits, since its songs are largely comprised of tracks that can be found on various official OSTs -- with the sole exception of Bugenhagen's planetarium arrangement of the Lifestream that plays in Chapter 10. I'll likely make that its own track at some point, but for completionist's sake, I'm including the whole of the credits, sans No Promises to Keep.

The track "The Reunion of Worlds" -- where Sephiroth is explaining to Cloud the reality of multiple timelines -- has a brief bit around the second half, which, for some reason, has its sound effects baked into the music channels themselves, despite being a real-time cutscene. Unfortunately, this wasn't something I could filter out, but again, it's a very brief bit.

By that same token, there's a FMV sequence that opens up the scene right when the gang reaches the Forgotten Capital that leads into the track "Altarbound" -- that one is full-on sound effects, so there's no way I could make a clean recording out of that. I'll leave that one to the hopeful mercy of a potential Plus OST down the line.

And.... I think that's it! I'll undoubtedly be going back at some point to record choice tracks I missed the first time around, but for now it's time to take an extended break from Rebirth. Thanks for listening, y'all!

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO

No embeds, just direct links -- and as always, the full playlist of unreleased tracks can be found here:
Quick notes: I wasn't originally going to include the End Credits, since its songs are largely comprised of tracks that can be found on various official OSTs -- with the sole exception of Bugenhagen's planetarium arrangement of the Lifestream that plays in Chapter 10. I'll likely make that its own track at some point, but for completionist's sake, I'm including the whole of the credits, sans No Promises to Keep.

The track "The Reunion of Worlds" -- where Sephiroth is explaining to Cloud the reality of multiple timelines -- has a brief bit around the second half, which, for some reason, has its sound effects baked into the music channels themselves, despite being a real-time cutscene. Unfortunately, this wasn't something I could filter out, but again, it's a very brief bit.

By that same token, there's a FMV sequence that opens up the scene right when the gang reaches the Forgotten Capital that leads into the track "Altarbound" -- that one is full-on sound effects, so there's no way I could make a clean recording out of that. I'll leave that one to the hopeful mercy of a potential Plus OST down the line.

And.... I think that's it! I'll undoubtedly be going back at some point to record choice tracks I missed the first time around, but for now it's time to take an extended break from Rebirth. Thanks for listening, y'all!
Thank you so much for doing all of this! I'm going to be giving that entire playlist a good listen to tomorrow now that I know it exists, I can't believe I missed all of this happening in this thread!

Maximilian Ending: Goodbye For Now ~ Grief & Sorrow, at ~3:58 is the scale I saw you talking about in one of your VODs in case you're still looking for a video version of it.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

What a ride, thank you for everything!!!!

Funnily enough, your playlist ended up with the same amount of tracks as the official OST (sans disc 8). They really did leave off half of it!!

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fun looking back at the first page since this started as a prediction thread.

I think it would be fun if each district of Gold Saucer had its own version of the theme. So a spooky rendition for Ghost Square, a techno rendition for Speed Square, a symphonic version for Event Square, etc. They did something similar for Wall Market.
I thought this was incredibly likely and we didn't get it, but honestly what we got was even better.

I was smiling so hard when I got the Gold Saucer x Aerith Theme mashup, and I still thought that was only possible event. Then I see on here that people got Tifa and it dawned on me that *every* character got their own Gold Saucer mashup. Just so cool and definitely one of my favorite musical moments in the game.

In general I love when these games combine and twist multiple themes from the original in one track. It just feels so rewarding knowing the original OST and picking up on all of it.
I would like a GOOD version of JENOVA. The whole "We'll make them wait for the drop" was kind of cool in Remake but it's over so quick and as a song itself, it's not exactly a good listen on its own imo..
This is also a great case of first post nailing it lol

Apr 19, 2018
What a ride, thank you for everything!!!!

Funnily enough, your playlist ended up with the same amount of tracks as the official OST (sans disc 8). They really did leave off half of it!!

And now, I'm about to upset that balance..... with 19 new recordings. ;D (Okay seriously, this will be my very last push. Probably lol.)

- CHAPTER 2:
- Fleeing Kalm
- Swamplands (Murky Depths) - Always had Scherzo 's request at the back of my mind for this one.

- CHAPTER 4:
- Junon Region (Pre-Remnawave Towers)
- Priscilla Calls for Aid
- Roche ~ My Friend
- Roche ~ It Only Takes Two to Tango
- Under Junon ~ Daytime
- The Sister Ray ~ Let's Blow off the Dust
- Midgar's Seventh Infantry ~ Call to Arms (Captain Cloud's Tifa's and Aerih's rousing speech to the troops before the welcoming ceremony begins!)
- Victor Fanfare (Commendation Version) - Part of a cutscene which sadly gets cut short before a full loop can play out. =/
- Commendation ~ A Few Private Words
- Assassination Attempt ~ Getting into Position

- CHAPTER 7:
- Elena Releases the Black Robes
- Magnus Materia Project

- CHAPTER 10:
- Bugenhagen's Planetarium

- CHAPTER 11
- The Keystone: To the Gold Saucer (Cutscene that plays just after leaving Shinra Manor, where Cait Sith reveals the existence of the Keystone and its possible location at the GS.)

- Victory Fanfare (Chamber Ensemble Arranged) The fanfare that plays at the tail end of Tifa's kitten retrieving side quest, after her piano performance of Aerith's Theme. This one's a little strange because there seems to be recording defects that's inherent to the in-game's track itself -- like a subtle 'pop' static sound, and always at the same exact spots during their loops. I tried to clean them up, but the defects only became even more noticeable as a result, so I've left them as is.

- Shinra Resistance Committee ~ Shinra's Intel (This is the second part of the sequence that isn't featured on the OST, where, after Glenn's TV broadcast, the Shinra execs have their round table discussion. Like The Reunion of Worlds, this one actually has its sound effects baked into the music channels, despite it being a real time cutscene -- so there will be the occasional sounds of the Shinra execs' movements heard throughout.)

- CHAPTER 12:
- Betrayal (The cutscene for when Cait Sith hands the Keystone over to Tseng at the Gold Saucer.)

Last edited:

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
And now, I'm about to upset that balance..... with 17 new recordings. ;D (Okay seriously, this will be my very last push. Probably lol.)

- CHAPTER 2:
- Fleeing Kalm
- Swamplands (Murky Depths) - Always had Scherzo 's request at the back of my mind for this one.

- CHAPTER 4:
- Junon Region (Pre-Remnawave Towers)
- Priscilla Calls for Aid
- Roche ~ My Friend
- Roche ~ It Only Takes Two to Tango
- Under Junon ~ Daytime
- The Sister Ray ~ Let's Blow off the Dust
- Midgar's Seventh Infantry ~ Call to Arms (Captain Cloud's Tifa's and Aerih's rousing speech to the troops before the welcoming ceremony begins!)
- Commendation ~ A Few Private Words
- Assassination Attempt ~ Getting into Position

- CHAPTER 7:
- Elena Releases the Black Robes
- Magnus Materia Project

- CHAPTER 10:
- Bugenhagen's Planetarium

- CHAPTER 11
- Victory Fanfare (Chamber Ensemble Arranged) The fanfare that plays at the tail end of Tifa's kitten retrieving side quest, after her piano performance of Aerith's Theme. This one's a little strange because there seems to be recording defects that's inherent to the in-game's track itself -- like a subtle 'pop' static sound, and always at the same exact spots during their loops. I tried to clean them up, but the defects only became even more noticeable as a result, so I've left them as is.

- Shinra Resistance Committee ~ Shinra's Intel (This is the second part of the sequence that isn't featured on the OST, where, after Glenn's TV broadcast, the Shinra execs have their round table discussion. Like The Reunion of Worlds, this one actually has its sound effects baked into the music channels, despite it being a real time cutscene -- so there will be the occasional sounds of the Shinra execs' movements heard throughout.)

- CHAPTER 12:
- Betrayal (The cutscene for when Cait Sith hands the Keystone over to Tseng at the Gold Saucer.)

----

It stuck out to me because it had a very 3DS era Fire Emblem vibe to it.

Apr 19, 2018
So, "Setting Sail on the Shinra-8" kinda ruined me for ALL other arrangement of the Main Theme of FFVII, in that it includes that additional one-note flourish just before the last note of its original melody. See what I mean at exactly the 0:13 mark.

View: https://youtu.be/WcdMK93Q0p4

It's such a naturally wonderful sounding flourish, that I'm now going back into EVERY OTHER arrangement of Main Theme VII that I know of, matching the track's instrumentation with a reasonable facsimile of my own, and placing in that additional note myself -- as exemplified in the same above video with 'Cosmo Canyon Region' at exactly the 0:23 mark.

This is like what happened when Remake's "Let the Battles Begin ~ A Merc's Job" first came out, and they added that incredible new five-note flourish toward the climax at exactly the 0:58 mark. That flourish suddenly became so standardized and canon in my head, that every version that ever came before and after felt so incomplete without it.

Remake Trilogy music team, not reinventing these classic tunes for the better!! ;D

Oct 25, 2017