• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What party member are you looking forward to playing as the most?

• Cloud

Votes: 228 18.8%
  • Barrett

Votes: 48 4.0%
  • Tifa

Votes: 305 25.2%
  • Aerith

Votes: 54 4.5%
  • Red XIII

Votes: 214 17.7%
  • Yuffie

Votes: 203 16.8%
  • Cait Sith

Votes: 159 13.1%

• Total voters

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I'd say one thing I've loved in this thread is seeing people describe any and everything they're struggling with, as shit.

Glide de Chocobo is fine. I'd say it's actually even fun.

I'd say it's a pretty dumb to assume a critique of that specific mini game is because they are "struggling with it"

Glide is shit. The controls are weird and it never explains a key mechanic you need to do in order to finish it. Not to mention it was bugged for awhile until patched.

There are some hard mini games in FF7 Rebirth, and then there are just some shitty mini games in Rebirth, the two aren't necessarily linked.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
variety.com

‘Final Fantasy VII Rebirth’ Director Naoki Hamaguchi on Remaking a Classic and Sealing Aerith’s Fate

Director Naoki Hamaguchi talks with Variety about making Rebirth, sealing Aerith’s fate in the remake and teases future plans for Cid and Vincent.

"While I don't have any clear DLC information to share with you, we know it'd be very exciting for players to have new playable characters going into future titles," says Hamaguchi. Did Nomura come out after this to explicitly say no DLC?
Nah was before, last year in September. The Hamaguchi interview is interesting, maybe there is still hope.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I'd say it's a pretty dumb to assume a critique of that specific mini game is because they are "struggling with it"

Glide is shit. The controls are weird and it never explains a key mechanic you need to do in order to finish it. Not to mention it was bugged for awhile until patched.

There are some hard mini games in FF7 Rebirth, and then there are just some shitty mini games in Rebirth, the two aren't necessarily linked.
I mean, now you are on the other end of the spectrum insulting other members and trying to use "heavy" words in order to make your case stronger
but trust me it does not help you, it makes things worse.
This behaviour is not good...

Man why can't people here have normal conversations sometimes and not try to start wars..

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
I can't get over how good Barret and Red are in this game. I liked both in the original and Cosmo is one of my favorites in the original.

But the glow up to both of them is just insane. They're having so much fun on this adventure. The VA's are putting in serious work. Tifa and Cloud have always been my favorites but suddenly I'm thinking about my bros way more.

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I mean, now you are on the other end of the spectrum insulting other members and trying to use "heavy" words in order to make your case stronger
but trust me it does not help you, it makes things worse.
This behaviour is not good...

Man why can't people here have normal conversations sometimes and not try to start wars..

Dramatic much?

It's a pretty straight forward statement. Telling people the reason they don't like something is because they are bad at it is a dumb assumption. Sure there are probably people who are bad at the game and therefore don't enjoy it, but mocking criticism of some of the mini games behind the age old "git gud" slogan is insulting at best and dumb at worst.

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023
I can't get over how good Barret and Red are in this game. I liked both in the original and Cosmo is one of my favorites in the original.

But the glow up to both of them is just insane. They're having so much fun on this adventure. The VA's are putting in serious work. Tifa and Cloud have always been my favorites but suddenly I'm thinking about my bros way more.

Hell yes, agreed.

Red XIII might be my new favorite character in the series after this game.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
what are some of the materia I should grind AP to prepare myself for hard mode while I grind the level? Prayer/Chakra I guess from my Remake experience?

Kotetsu534

Dec 31, 2022
Most of the blue materia is useful, probably in the order: Magnify, Elemental, Magic Focus, Swiftcast, Warding, MP Absorption, Magic Efficiency, HP Absorption (combine MP/HP Absorb with the same magic so you do damage & heal with the same spell). I didn't use Prayer too much (cushions restore MP on the world map; I'd try to be careful with MP, using MP Absorption to top off after Curas and using benches to heal before boss fights), but occasionally used Chakra, especially in solo fights. Otherwise elemental magics (esp Fire + Ice & Lightning + Wind), the HP/MP/Strength/Magic/Speed/Vitality/Spirit stat boosts, ATB Assist, Precision Defence and Steadfast Block were useful (levelling stuff like Time/Subversion/Barrier is also useful but they max quickly).

Last edited:

Tea-Stance

Feb 11, 2024
Postgame spoilers(ish. Playing it safe)

I've started a Hard mode playthrough and cleared all the sidequests in Chapter 2 but I want to go to chapter 12 and finish the rest of them back to back and get the manuscripts. Am I safe to carry over the progress from just the Hard mode playthrough or would I have to reset all progress and do the Ch 2 sidequests again?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
You're better than me, I looked up the guide for getting KotR and Chocobo breeding and all that and immediately noped out. I'll stick to main story stuff for replays of FF7 lol.
The first time I completed the PS1 version I had to get KotR through Chocobo breeding to defeat Sephiroth lol, it was the only way I could beat him.

Anyway, this save file was from 2016, I had been maxing out All materia for the 99,999,999 gil trophy. I was also getting my main party - Cloud, Cid and Yuffie - to level 99. I ended up getting burnt out back then, but last night I thought I may as well continue it since I was playing FFVII again. I'm not sure I would have bothered with the grinding if I weren't for the 3x speed option that came with the PS4 port (then again, I did grind out the 50hz PS1 version of FFIX when I played it for the first time, so I may be crazy). But yeah, I surprised myself. Beating those weapons has been a goal I've always hoped I would achieve one day. I think that also means I've done almost everything there is to do in FFVII now.

Really can't wait to see how they do all this stuff in Part 3.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
The first time I completed the PS1 version I had to get KotR through Chocobo breeding to defeat Sephiroth lol, it was the only way I could beat him.

Anyway, this save file was from 2016, I had been maxing out All materia for the 99,999,999 gil trophy. I was also getting my main party - Cloud, Cid and Yuffie - to level 99. I ended up getting burnt out back then, but last night I thought I may as well continue it since I was playing FFVII again. I'm not sure I would have bothered with the grinding if I weren't for the 3x speed option that came with the PS4 port (then again, I did grind out the 50hz PS1 version of FFIX when I played it for the first time, so I may be crazy). But yeah, I surprised myself. Beating those weapons has been a goal I've always hoped I would achieve one day. I think that also means I've done almost everything there is to do in FFVII now.

Really can't wait to see how they do all this stuff in Part 3.
Wow. Your tag shouldn't be Gotham's Finest. Flip that to Midgar's Finest

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So, I think I'm in the clear, but I'll ask.

I've been engineering this companion stuff basically since I read about it in order to get the chapter 8 and 12 things to unfold how I'd like. Wanting to see the "good" Tifa cutscene has lead me to doing the following:

Every synergy related thing between her and Cloud.
High score during the parade in Junon.
Matching beachwear as well as helping her group during the boss fight in the same area.
The "best" answer to all dialogue options up to this point.
Every sidequest that is hers with the exception of 1 (which requires several other companion sidequests to be done before unlocking).

I believe there's some points for doing Loveless well, so I plan on doing...whatever that is. Surely that's more than sufficient for my goals, yeah? Not doing that one single quest yet isn't gonna bite me. I assume we're more than good, but seeing as I went against my nature of just doing everything as it came up for all characters to make this happen, I might as well make sure.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
So, I think I'm in the clear, but I'll ask.

I've been engineering this companion stuff basically since I read about it in order to get the chapter 8 and 12 things to unfold how I'd like. Wanting to see the "good" Tifa cutscene has lead me to doing the following:

Every synergy related thing between her and Cloud.
High score during the parade in Junon.
Matching beachwear as well as helping her group during the boss fight in the same area.
The "best" answer to all dialogue options up to this point.
Every sidequest that is hers with the exception of 1 (which requires several other companion sidequests to be done before unlocking).

I believe there's some points for doing Loveless well, so I plan on doing...whatever that is. Surely that's more than sufficient for my goals, yeah? Not doing that one single quest yet isn't gonna bite me. I assume we're more than good, but seeing as I went against my nature of just doing everything as it came up for all characters to make this happen, I might as well make sure.

First, I would recommend upon starting Chapter 12 you save, fast travel to the saucer, run to Battle Square, skip through the cutscenes and then find out who knocks on your door. It only takes a couple of minutes to do that. If it isn't Tifa then do the following two sidequests that open in Chapter 12:

1. The Gold Cup
2. Sand and Circuses. This one requires a Yuffie sidequest from Chapter 12 to be done first the one that initiates in Costa De Sol, but, if you're like me, your Yuffie affection will be lagging others so no worries on that putting her into first place.

Re: Loveless- I'm not sure the points will matter at that point because (minor spoiler) that happens during the date so you're already good to go anyway. Not sure if it impacts what happens on the date though.

I will say that, for me, all of the above was required, including both Chapter 12 sidequests. Otherwise I got Red XIII. However I did miss a gold ranking on a Tifa sidequest in Chapter 4 so I'm not sure how much that would have impacted things.

Amaretto

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what the requirements to view the spoiler thread are? Is it a hundred posts, or something else?

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
First, I would recommend upon starting Chapter 12 you save, fast travel to the saucer, run to Battle Square, skip through the cutscenes and then find out who knocks on your door. It only takes a couple of minutes to do that. If it isn't Tifa then do the following two sidequests that open in Chapter 12:

1. The Gold Cup
2. Sand and Circuses. This one requires a Yuffie sidequest from Chapter 12 to be done first the one that initiates in Costa De Sol, but, if you're like me, your Yuffie affection will be lagging others so no worries on that putting her into first place.

Re: Loveless- I'm not sure the points will matter at that point because (minor spoiler) that happens during the date so you're already good to go anyway. Not sure if it impacts what happens on the date though.

I will say that, for me, all of the above was required, including both Chapter 12 sidequests. Otherwise I got Red XIII. However I did miss a gold ranking on a Tifa sidequest in Chapter 4 so I'm not sure how much that would have impacted things.

Appreciate the info :). Tifa is my only party member that's light blue/"max" so I don't think it's even possible for anyone else to show up. But I may as well do that 1 sidequest that requires the Yuffie quest to be done first. No sense in not playing it safe when I've come this far lol.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

Nah I think more often than not they are linked. In fact, I think the majority of the time they are. In the course of this thread I've seen most gameplay get described as shit at one point or the other, from mini-games to the main combat itself. As another poster said, OTs are highly reactionary, and people often react poorly when they're just performing badly. And it's fine, as long as you can recognize it.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's great all the different techniques you can use to tackle those fights.

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying to get the platinum for Crisis Core now. Already have 51% of the trophies so I think I might.
Do it, it's easy. You can play the whole game on Normal and then switch it to Hard difficulty at the final boss to cheese that difficulty-related trophy. Only thing that makes CC a PITA to 100% is that there is no Chapter Select, best to either make sure you didn't miss anything in a chapter or make a new save slot for each chapter.

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia
Postgame spoilers(ish. Playing it safe)

I've started a Hard mode playthrough and cleared all the sidequests in Chapter 2 but I want to go to chapter 12 and finish the rest of them back to back and get the manuscripts. Am I safe to carry over the progress from just the Hard mode playthrough or would I have to reset all progress and do the Ch 2 sidequests again?
You're safe to carry over your progress. Also those manuscripts you already earned for those side quests are forever gotten. You don't have yo worry about losing them if you do reset. Just make sure to choose retain current status when you select chapter 12.

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Nah I think more often than not they are linked. In fact, I think the majority of the time they are.

Sounds like a toxic attitude to have towards other players. Everyone who doesn't like what you do must just be bad at the game. Cool dude.

I beat all the mini games within a few tries (except you Piano, I just can't do it lol) up to the point I am at and I still think a majority of the mini games are borderline bad, mostly due to the control layouts of games like Choco Glide and the shooting range, or changes to mini games like Fort Condor that actively made them worse than their previous iteration.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the info :). Tifa is my only party member that's light blue/"max" so I don't think it's even possible for anyone else to show up. But I may as well do that 1 sidequest that requires the Yuffie quest to be done first. No sense in not playing it safe when I've come this far lol.
Does the smiley have a glow to it? That's all you need for the best date with the best girl.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I finally managed to finish brutal 6 after trying since the weekend. How are the legendary challenges? I heard the last two are difficult but is it a lot more difficult than the brutals? Brutal 6 was awful for me, mainly because of the last two rounds lol.
It's a victory lap! The legendary challenges aren't free, but they are easier than the Brutals. The Legendary challenges are more or less just character profiency checks, you're fighting lots of easy enemies solo and then there are 2 gimmick challenges at the end Cloud & Zack duo, and Cloud & Sephiroth duo, one of them is easy, one of them is not. The Cloud/Zack would be a hell of a lot easier if they just gave him a Lightning materia, but they specifically designed it around him not having one (Used Enemy Skill + Plasma Discharge on Cloud to make up for this).

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
what are some of the materia I should grind AP to prepare myself for hard mode while I grind the level? Prayer/Chakra I guess from my Remake experience?
Yeah those two definitely. From what I remember, these were the ones that were all very helpful to me:

Prayer
Chakra
HP Up
MP Up
Magnify+Healing
Magnify+Barrier
Magnify+Magic
Revival
First Strike
ATB Stagger
Skill Master
Steadfast Block
Precision Defense
Weapon Slot - Elemental+Magic (the Fire and Ice/Lightning and Wind materia were the ones I used the most)
Armour Slot - Elemental+Magic
Enemy Skill

Binding materia for using sleep on some bosses helped me a bit too.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Do it, it's easy. You can play the whole game on Normal and then switch it to Hard difficulty at the final boss to cheese that difficulty-related trophy. Only thing that makes CC a PITA to 100% is that there is no Chapter Select, best to either make sure you didn't miss anything in a chapter or make a new save slot for each chapter.
Yeah, I'm about to check it out now. I forgot it didn't have a NG+. I think I might have a save near the end so I can do all the missions, wouldn't mind getting them all out the way first.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like a toxic attitude to have towards other players. Everyone who doesn't like what you do must just be bad at the game. Cool dude.

I beat all the mini games within a few tries (except you Piano, I just can't do it lol) up to the point I am at and I still think a majority of the mini games are borderline bad, mostly due to the control layouts of games like Choco Glide and the shooting range, or changes to mini games like Fort Condor that actively made them worse than their previous iteration.
I think you're taking this a bit more personally than it was intended. We disagree. It's fine. You call it toxic, I call it a benign observation of many of the critiques I've seen in the thread. I've seen the Rufus fight described as broken here. It isn't broken, it's demanding. I've seen Queen's Blood described as obtuse and unfair. It's really neither. I've seen many complain about not understanding basic features of combat, just to later admit that they simply never read any instructions that were provided. The OT is full of a lot of knee jerk reactions, and people often have strong negative reactions when they hit a wall and are frustrated. It's okay.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Ah, yeah in my case I had Tifa, Aerith, and Red XIII all at max and the game was selecting Red XIII.

Does the smiley have a glow to it? That's all you need for the best date with the best girl.

Does only one character get the glow? I never noticed anything different for my max level characters.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 11's location is so good. Peak aesthetic, awesome level design and the exploration pace is such an improvement.

Last edited:

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
Most of the blue materia is useful, probably in the order: Magnify, Elemental, Magic Focus, Swiftcast, Warding, MP Absorption, Magic Efficiency, Warding, HP Absorption (combine MP/HP Absorb with the same magic so you do damage & heal with the same spell). I didn't use Prayer too much (cushions restore MP on the world map; I'd try to be careful with MP, using MP Absorption to top off after Curas and using benches to heal before boss fights), but occasionally used Chakra, especially in solo fights. Otherwise elemental magics (esp Fire + Ice & Lightning + Wind), the HP/MP/Strength/Magic/Speed/Vitality/Spirit stat boosts, ATB Assist, Precision Defence and Steadfast Block were useful (levelling stuff like Time/Subversion/Barrier is also useful but they max quickly).
the enmy skill: plasma charge is my fav too. i put it on tifa at the start of the fight with first strike. it just pays itself off and generate atb while dealing dmg either by duration or getting hit.

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia
Ah, yeah in my case I had Tifa, Aerith, and Red XIII all at max and the game was selecting Red XIII.

Does only one character get the glow? I never noticed anything different for my max level characters.
Gonna emphasize this again: when the affinity marker is glowing? That's not max. That just means they've hit the highest threshold. That's at about 80% affinity. At the end of the game I had everybody there and my affinity ranged from Tifa at 99% to Yuffie at 82%.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
I think you're taking this a bit more personally than it was intended. We disagree. It's fine. You call it toxic, I call it a benign observation of many of the critiques I've seen in the thread. I've seen the Rufus fight described as broken here. It isn't broken, it's demanding. I've seen Queen's Blood described as obtuse and unfair. It's really neither. I've seen many complain about not understanding basic features of combat, just to later admit that they simply never read any instructions that were provided. The OT is full of a lot of knee jerk reactions, and people often have strong negative reactions when they hit a wall and are frustrated. It's okay.
i think the only queenblood i felt it unfair was the nightmare challenge in GS.
i felt the cpu got way too many cards even when i deny them of crates by either winning or draw.
by the 5th round it can still pull out some stupid strong cards. the drg card. whatever it was. its some non sense card they have at hand and like 3 or them.
thank god for the russian doll like monster tier 3 card. the baby ver after using the orig couple time is a winner. i just use it to delete the cpu out of existent.
it did took me a while/matches to get some good rng on cards from either the crate i win of cards from my own deck to play the round with winning advantage.

Kotetsu534

Dec 31, 2022
the enmy skill: plasma charge is my fav too. i put it on tifa at the start of the fight with first strike. it just pays itself off and generate atb while dealing dmg either by duration or getting hit.

Yep it's an extremely strong materia that also gives free stats and free Bravery/Faith with Sonic Boom. I also forgot First Strike and Skill Master which are very strong too.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Closing in on the end. Hard Mode Cactuar Crush, Queen's Blood Survival and I'm done with every minigame. Gonna finish off by getting through as much VR as possible, and then put the game down for a few months when I feel burnt out.

I'd just like to shout out Desert Rush for being loads easier than Remake's box breaking. Once I switched from Braver to Triple Slash for big boxes it became a joke 💪

was expecting to feel pretty satisfied FF-wise, but I kinda wanna dive right into some pixel remasters after this. IV is calling me 👀

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
WOO just beat VR Legendary Bout: To Be A Hero! I'm shaking. Took quite a few runs to really get it down and my in-game clear time wasn't the speediest at 25 minutes (probably closer to 40 minutes of actual time played), but I tried to play it super safe in rounds 9 and 10. Nothing feels worse than flushing down 30 minutes of progress because you press the wrong ability from nerves.

I have the rest of Johnny's treasures so the only thing standing in the way of me and the Platinum is Legendary Bout: Bonds of Friendship. From what I've heard, I am NOT looking forward to it.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Spent the little I played last night back in the Golden Saucer doing the Queen's Blood stuff I skipped the first time (looked up some deck/strategy guies) and colleseum challenges that unliked in chapter 9. Chocobo racing next.

Is there any reason to not buy the collectible stuff? I think I bought all the QB cards and character folios available in the Chapter 8/9 time. Would rather save up points if more things like that will come availabe as I'm not going for all collectibles or the platinum or anything (and doubt I'll do max tier on all the mini game levels etc. as I'm getting a bit sick of them).

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Spent the little I played last night back in the Golden Saucer doing the Queen's Blood stuff I skipped the first time (looked up some deck/strategy guies) and colleseum challenges that unliked in chapter 9. Chocobo racing next.

Is there any reason to not buy the collectible stuff? I think I bought all the QB cards and character folios available in the Chapter 8/9 time. Would rather save up points if more things like that will come availabe as I'm not going for all collectibles or the platinum or anything (and doubt I'll do max tier on all the mini game levels etc. as I'm getting a bit sick of them).

If you're not going for the platinum trophy, then those collectible trophies are pretty much useless. Focus on the cards if you're into QB. Alternatively, some unique monster parts used in crafting upgraded accessories are made available through those shops as well, so you can also save up your points to buy them.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
If you're not going for the platinum trophy, then those collectible trophies are pretty much useless. Focus on the cards if you're into QB. Alternatively, some unique monster parts used in crafting upgraded accessories are made available through those shops as well, so you can also save up your points to buy them.

Thanks!

I'll just save up the points for stuff I may need then.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
The head case battle intel is so difficult. I can't figure out how to kill the mindflayer before one of the other side monsters (which seem to have almost no hp) gets killed by one of my team members. I don't even get him down like 10%. I've tried sleeping the others but that doesn't last nearly long enough. Anyone have any tips?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
LOL there's an trick/exploit at the end of Chapter 11 if you want to level up fast before the final few chapters to give yourself some extra HP

Once you beat Roche and end up back in Nibelheim, go to the noticeboard and pick the side mission "White Haired Angel." Find the cat, follow it to fight the bee enemies. It'll then lead you to a SECOND bunch of bee enemies which are very easy but drop tons of EXP. Make sure you hit "retry battle" before the last one dies and you can just hoover up shittons of EXP. I did 20,000XP in about 6 minutes.

Is it scrubby? Sure, but I wanna make sure I finish the game before I go on holiday next week for 2 weeks. I hear the final boss gauntlet is tough.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Finished chapter 13. Gonna stop here for the night. The final chapter boss was so well done, though surprisingly easy. I swear the moss-covered adamantoise was tougher (all those projectiles, the fuck?).

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
WOO just beat VR Legendary Bout: To Be A Hero! I'm shaking. Took quite a few runs to really get it down and my in-game clear time wasn't the speediest at 25 minutes (probably closer to 40 minutes of actual time played), but I tried to play it super safe in rounds 9 and 10. Nothing feels worse than flushing down 30 minutes of progress because you press the wrong ability from nerves.

I have the rest of Johnny's treasures so the only thing standing in the way of me and the Platinum is Legendary Bout: Bonds of Friendship. From what I've heard, I am NOT looking forward to it.
Bonds of Friendship gets a little tricky, because the back half of the gauntlet has mostly Lightning-vulnerable enemies and they purposefully do not give Zack a Lightning materia. The Plasma Discharge from Enemy Skill really comes up big there in place of that. Sonic Boom (to proc ATB Assist) + Plasma Discharge help a lot throughout that one.