What party member are you looking forward to playing as the most?

• Cloud

Votes: 228 18.7%
  • Barrett

Votes: 48 3.9%
  • Tifa

Votes: 307 25.1%
  • Aerith

Votes: 54 4.4%
  • Red XIII

Votes: 217 17.8%
  • Yuffie

Votes: 207 17.0%
  • Cait Sith

Votes: 160 13.1%

• Total voters

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
So bonds of friendship, I've gotten to Odin twice. The Bahamut fight and the Odin fight are the main issues now. The others aren't really an issue unless something unexpected happens in the 2nd fight.

I'm kinda losing my mind here. I only got these two be missions and a hard mode playthrough and I'm done.

If only save states were a thing.

I would suggest practicing Odin solo a bit so you know what to dodge, block etc.

Rephil

Nov 16, 2017
So bonds of friendship, I've gotten to Odin twice. The Bahamut fight and the Odin fight are the main issues now. The others aren't really an issue unless something unexpected happens in the 2nd fight.

I'm kinda losing my mind here. I only got these two be missions and a hard mode playthrough and I'm done.

If only save states were a thing.

I haven't played in a few weeks, so I can't remember every single part of my setup exactly, but this is the gist of it.
I beat Bonds of Friendship with the following strategy: Cloud with Sleek Saber, and ATB boosting weapon abilities. Primal Mode + Darkside Materia, ATK Boost Materia, etc, anything to boost attack power. Also used Limit Siphon and Magnify for Manawall. Precision Defense for parrying. Used the Lvl 3 Limit Break Accessory. Getting those ATK boost passives from Primal Mode is a big help.

Zack is mostly for support (Haste, Healing, Stop when an enemy is staggered, or Elemental spells when appropriate etc). Always focus on building Synergy to get Zack's 0 MP Cost passive so you have enough MP resources for the full 10 battles.

Limit Break with Cloud when in tough situations, or to get that last chunk of stagger. Or to destroy both wings at once if you're lacking the ATB. Your LB should do a ton of damage and melt through most of these fights. It's really just staying alive and on top of things until your LB is ready.

Destroying Bahamut's wings consistently will make that fight much easier. Make sure you've got plenty of ATB ready to go. You can throw out Firebolt Blades to break each wing when he's powering up. You can also use Counterfire to counter most of Bahamut's attacks.

For Odin, make sure Manawall is pretty much always up. Then use Punisher mode to counter most of his moves. I'd aim for Perfect Parries as often as possible to minimize damage and boost stagger. Can practice on Odin at max strength with solo Cloud to get the hang of it. Gilgamesh is also a good summon for this fight for some extra passive damage. He came in clutch for me when doing this.

Hope some of this help! It's hard as hell and stupidly overtuned. I didn't want to use the Aeroga Optinoob strategy simply because it just wasn't fun for me. So took some of the bits from those guides and tried to experiment with my own stuff. Learning the parry timing will make it much easier.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Some of the boss battles in this game are really hard. I'm stuck on the
Rufus boss battle. Its so insanely bullshit, can't hit him and he counters every move and I barely do any damage. So with the amount of damage I'm doing to him it will take me about an hour to do it, and I'm playing it on easy. This is not a fun battle at all. I don't understand why the developers keep designing shit like this.

I think I'm done with this for now its good but so frustrating in some areas sometimes.

Triple Slash as soon as he has text above his head is your friend

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for the tips. Much appreciated! Bahamut seems to be hit or miss for me still so I should probably practice him along with Odin.

Some times it goes well but other times, I just can't seem to get enough damage going even with faith and fury. I tend to be too trigger happy though so I think I need to block more.

The first 8 battles are so trivial now I just wish I could skip them.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
did the devs remove the music from the Levridon fight in the chicken sidequest in Gongaga? I just did it on hard mode, and the jazzy track from Intermission that played when the Levridon appeared on screen in my first playthrough didn't start playing this time. I also noticed the same thing when I watched Kastaclysm do that part not too long ago.

I don't know why they would have removed it; it was such a great touch because it punctuated the comedy of the moment.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Lol I managed to beat the last opponent in the 3D Brawler on my first try after struggling with the rest. Shinra Middle Manager-sensei taught me well. And yes that was with the pause trick. SMM and Sephiroth I felt had the same tells, so once I figured out SMM, Sephiroth was easy. The thing that tripped me up the most was whether to press down on the stick or to the side. I eventually noticed they arch their back a little more when you need to press down. But frankly this minigame was not really explained well.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Super, super late to the party. I'm on chapter 13 of Remake. Love it! But I have the urge to stop now and jump straight to Rebirth. Because it looks WAY better.

Remake's story is typical anime nonsense, IMHO. Actually, I take that back. The main story is fine, I just don't care for all the side characters. Like those ghosts, the men in black, etc. It all seems too bloated. But I really enjoy the main character interactions, combat, and graphics.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The exclusivity period 'ends' in 12 days, the 29th, so maybe we will start to hear something then. But probably not tbh

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Super, super late to the party. I'm on chapter 13 of Remake. Love it! But I have the urge to stop now and jump straight to Rebirth. Because it looks WAY better.

Remake's story is typical anime nonsense, IMHO. Actually, I take that back. The main story is fine, I just don't care for all the side characters. Like those ghosts, the men in black, etc. It all seems too bloated. But I really enjoy the main character interactions, combat, and graphics.

Rebirth has lots of awesome interactions between the main party and the combat is even better than in Remake. Some of the elements you don't care about are in Rebirth too though. If you want to jump straight into Rebirth I would still suggest to watch the remaining stuff on YT or at least the cutscenes.

when is this coming to pc, only thing this year so far to catch my eye

Knowing SE I would say first half 2025 at the earliest though I hope I am proven wrong.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Rebirth has lots of awesome interactions between the main party and the combat is even better than in Remake. Some of the elements you don't care about are in Rebirth too though. If you want to jump straight into Rebirth I would still suggest to watch the remaining stuff on YT or at least the cutscenes.
I'll keep going. I'm 14 hours in and basically skipped every side mission. Although I hate that progress doesn't transfer over. It makes sense though.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Okay guys (and AuthenticM, who has been very disappointed in me lol). I think I'm finally going to do the final boss tonight haha.

To be fair, it felt very weird for me to be doing it the past few weeks.

My grandpa died a few weeks ago, and though I loved him a lot, I haven't had many tears for it, because he was 100 (!) and I'm mostly just happy he was finally able to let go. It's one of those "I'll miss him, but I'm happy for him" kind of deaths.

So it felt VERY weird to me that I'd likely go into the finale of this game and probably cry at the ending more than I've cried for my grandpa? Haha.

But we've held the celebration of life now, life goes on, and I'm ready for this.

So, after work today (and perhaps after dinner), onwards I go to the final boss!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay guys (and AuthenticM, who has been very disappointed in me lol). I think I'm finally going to do the final boss tonight haha.

To be fair, it felt very weird for me to be doing it the past few weeks.

My grandpa died a few weeks ago, and though I loved him a lot, I haven't had many tears for it, because he was 100 (!) and I'm mostly just happy he was finally able to let go. It's one of those "I'll miss him, but I'm happy for him" kind of deaths.

So it felt VERY weird to me that I'd likely go into the finale of this game and probably cry at the ending more than I've cried for my grandpa? Haha.

But we've held the celebration of life now, life goes on, and I'm ready for this.

So, after work today (and perhaps after dinner), onwards I go to the final boss!
That's amazing that your grandpa was able to reach 100. Hopefully he was mostly healthy through his later years. Hell of a life. I hope I can reach that number.

I'll see you in the spoiler thread when you're done!

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing that your grandpa was able to reach 100. Hopefully he was mostly healthy through his later years. Hell of a life. I hope I can reach that number.

I'll see you in the spoiler thread when you're done!

Yeah! It was a hell of a life. He was still generally healthy (for 100), but his quality of life was definitely waning the past couple years. He had an indomitable spirit and rallied back from "death" (maybe lol) quite a few times. Lots of times in the past few years, we were like "this is it", but nah, he came back stronger than ever lol. So in that sense, I'm glad he was able to finally let go. He's missed his wife (grandma!) deeply for 4.5 years, and I've never been particularly spiritual, but I'd like to think they're together again. :)

I do wonder how life expectancy will change in the coming years! Science! Would also be nice to reach 100 haha.

See you in the spoiler thread later :)

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm chapter 12, cleaning up optionally stuff, and are the Odin summon fight and the fight where you need to kill the mind flayer first supposed to be like super hard optional content? Because if so I will just skip it and may return post game to them.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
I'm chapter 12, cleaning up optionally stuff, and are the Odin summon fight and the fight where you need to kill the mind flayer first supposed to be like super hard optional content? Because if so I will just skip it and may return post game to them.

They are not really part of the super hard optional content. For the mindflayer you can go in solo, use sleep on the two small guys and focus the mindflayer.

As for Odin he has a "boredom" meter. Simplified, if he damages you a ton while you damage him only a little he will get bored and use Gallerhorns Warning and shortly afterwards oneshot you with Zantesuken. So you want to avoid taking damage as much as you can through dodging and parrying while trying to kill him.

If he uses Gallerhorn's warning I think you can still avoid Zantesuken if you limit him, stagger him or deal much damage in a short amount of time otherwise.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
They are not really part of the super hard optional content. For the mindflayer you can go in solo, use sleep on the two small guys and focus the mindflayer.

As for Odin he has a "boredom" meter. Simplified, if he damages you a ton while you damage him only a little he will get bored and use Gallerhorns Warning and shortly afterwards oneshot you with Zantesuken. So you want to avoid taking damage as much as you can through dodging and parrying while trying to kill him.

If he uses Gallerhorn's warning I think you can still avoid Zantesuken if you limit him, stagger him or deal much damage in a short amount of time otherwise.

I will try a couple of times more but not spend to much time on them, with them being optional and all.

And while they may not be part of the super hard content, I felt like they are way, waaaay harder then any other content you have available at those times. They are still pretty big difficulty spikes imo.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I finally finished the story last weekend - loved it by the way - and have been cleaning up the optional stuff since then. I'm on 81/88 for Johnny's trophies now. Catcuar Crush hard mode down and moving to Fort Condor next. I'm hoping to do everything other than hard mode, which I was planning to do on a replay down the line. I found Remake pretty tough on hard at some points, so I expect it'll be a struggle.

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
This is me the past two weeks. I've not slept so badly in years.

Thankfully I'm in Chapter 13 now, so soon I'll be able to rest and get back to some other hobbies. Maybe.

Yeah I took my sweet time with the game in order not to get burned out, so I immensely enjoyed it. But only afterwards did I realize this game had had some crazy impact on my mental (and in turn physical) health. All the colors, all the music, all the impression accumulating over the 6 weeks I played really did a number on me, and only now my system is slowly digesting it all. Currently I am only watching some playthroughs, so I am sleeping and feeling much better now.

I distincly remember one quote from a review: "This game nearly wrecked my life" and I see now what he means lol. This was such a great experience and I already miss the game, so I'll plan on returning eventually to get the plat, but not right now. I only have Hard Mode, and maybe 10 Chadley challenges left.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I took my sweet time with the game in order not to get burned out, so I immensely enjoyed it. But only afterwards did I realize this game had had some crazy impact on my mental (and in turn physical) health. All the colors, all the music, all the impression accumulating over the 6 weeks I played really did a number on me, and only now my system is slowly digesting it all. Currently I am only watching some playthroughs, so I am sleeping and feeling much better now.

I distincly remember one quote from a review: "This game nearly wrecked my life" and I see now what he means lol. This was such a great experience and I already miss the game, so I'll plan on returning eventually to get the plat, but not right now. I only have Hard Mode, and maybe 10 Chadley challenges left.
I'm still on Remake. But I plan on taking my time with Rebirth. Gonna make it last all summer (June-August) by only playing around 8-10 hours a week.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished the game today. The story was nice but I'm glad I'm done with the game. I tried doing a lot of the extra stuff as I do with pretty much every game and it was a bad choice for me. There were too many and not enough were fun for me. I'm glad I could say I gave it a shot but I just didn't expect it to burn me out so much. I got to certain points and decided to quit on stuff like what I assume is the end of the protorelic quest

I can't remember what chapter I was on but fairly early on I decided to bail on the platinum even though I thought it would be fun since the platinum for Remake wasn't really excruciating for the most part. I did do a few clean up things like getting to level 70, doing 300% stagger, and mastering all weapon abilities and limit breaks.

There are a few other ones I could probably push for now that I look at the list more closely like the trophy for 3D brawler. I think I'd get get 2 trophies for finishing all the races because that is my last side quest if I'm remembering correctly. I just realized there is a trophy related to the Colosseum which I was inadvertently working towards but stopped after an instant death enemy. Looks like there is an item to stop that from happening though. If I want to go for it at some point.

Anyways, it was a decent experience overall. The soundtrack is phenomenal. I think I'll try to take a very long break from JRPGs and hope I feel refreshed when the next entry is out. I hope I'm up to finishing this up.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
The finale of this game is bonkers and I haven't reached the final boss yet lol. I just finally got the opportunity to save after a million cutscenes (I enjoy watching them and I am not complaining) on chapter 14. There are moments where the game is a mixed bag and other times where it's firing on all cylinders and the production is astonishing. Overall I'm wowed at what they were able to accomplish with this game.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
That series of Chapter 12 fights/boss battles, particularly the tonberry & Rufus battles, was honestly starting to make me legitimately loathe the game a bit. I'm not nearly good enough at the combat in this game for a difficulty spike like that...

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
the way i read it is dyne wasn't able to end it himself, so that's why he was picking fights with shinra, then barret, to[ have them do it for him.

the way i read barret here is he desperately tried to talk dyne down (have him "snap out of it" ) and then at the end he removes the gun because the help that dyne wants is not the help he wants to provide. he doesn't want to kill his old friend. and then the moment barret stops fighting, dyne stops fighting too, because what he wants isn't really to hurt barret but to goad him into killing him.

something like that. but i dunno, i found the scene and motivations muddled.
For me, it's about closure. Dyne subconsciously couldn't die because he didn't really know what happened to Barret or Marlene. There are a lot of stories of people on their deathbed, unable to die before meeting their loved one(s) one last time. Knowing that Marlene is safe, and that Barret is willing to continue carrying the burden and exact justice on Shinra, it was past time for him to let go.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am fighting Rufus on hard mode. Sometimes, when I use focused thrust, little projectiles come out of cloud and hit Rufus before I hit him with focused thrust, which leads to Rufus recuperating from his pressured state immediately.

What the fuck are those projectiles and how do I turn them off?

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I am fighting Rufus on hard mode. Sometimes, when I use focused thrust, little projectiles come out of cloud and hit Rufus before I hit him with focused thrust, which leads to Rufus recuperating from his pressured state immediately.

Are they his dodge slash things? You're maybe transitioning from dodge to hit to focused thrust too quickly?

Probably dumb to ask, but I don't know if focused thrust has projectiles otherwise haha.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Just hit the sewers again in Remake (Chapter 14), and think it's time to jump to Rebirth. I'm so tired of sewers, factories, and slums. Gonna just watch a recap for the last few chapters.

I truly hate to give up, but I know myself. If this last section is a slog it'll kill my hype for Rebirth. Who knows, might come back to it one day. But for now I've played enough of Remake.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just hit the sewers again in Remake (Chapter 14), and think it's time to jump to Rebirth. I'm so tired of sewers, factories, and slums. Gonna just watch a recap for the last few chapters.
I'd really recommend hanging in there a bit longer. The Sewers revisit is a drag, but then you're straight into Chapter 15 and 16 which I thought were genuinely great. Remake is a whole bunch of ups and downs between set pieces that the development team were REALLY excited to go hard on, and the kind of mediocre filler to pad out the run time. I think Shinra HQ is definitely one of the BIG ones.

But if you're gonna look up cutscenes, you may want to also look at Yuffie's Intermission stuff. It comes up a few times.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017

You must be attacking as you dodge before the focused thrust. It's the only way you can range attack with cloud that isn't magic.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really recommend hanging in there a bit longer. The Sewers revisit is a drag, but then you're straight into Chapter 15 and 16 which I thought were genuinely great. Remake is a whole bunch of ups and downs between set pieces that the development team were REALLY excited to go hard on, and the kind of mediocre filler to pad out the run time. I think Shinra HQ is definitely one of the BIG ones.

But if you're gonna look up cutscenes, you may want to also look at Yuffie's Intermission stuff. It comes up a few times.
Yeah I've watched a few. Downloading Rebirth. I'd be more likely to play if it things transferred. The combat alone isn't enough to get my through the bland environments. And I understand the story after watching some recaps.

I expect this to be like Uncharted for me. I dropped the first one at 80%, and beat 2,3,4, and Golden Abyss. The first one was a great "proof of concept." I'm glad I played Remake after ignoring it for years 😀

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The running theme right now for bonds of friendship is get to Odin. Die within a minute or two.

I feel like if I miss one block or something, it's over. Really wish this was a 5 battle course not a 10.

Really getting me down now.

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
The running theme right now for bonds of friendship is get to Odin. Die within a minute or two.

I feel like if I miss one block or something, it's over. Really wish this was a 5 battle course not a 10.

Really getting me down now.

Bonds of Friendship was the last thing I needed for the platinum, and I beat it yesterday. Stick with it, and stay patient. If you can get to Odin reliably, then you'll get it eventually.

I used Optinoob's strategy, so dealing with Odin was mainly about manawall, faith, and prime mode on Cloud. Block/counter Odin's basic attacks, dodge his abilities, and hit him with a highly buffed level 3 spell once two ATBs are built. I needed to be relentless but also patient and precise, but once I was able to stagger him without too much trouble it set up the rest of the fight to flow nicely.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Bonds of Friendship was the last thing I needed for the platinum, and I beat it yesterday. Stick with it, and stay patient. If you can get to Odin reliably, then you'll get it eventually.

I used Optinoob's strategy, so dealing with Odin was mainly about manawall, faith, and prime mode on Cloud. Block/counter Odin's basic attacks, dodge his abilities, and hit him with a highly buffed level 3 spell once two ATBs are built. I needed to be relentless but also patient and precise, but once I was able to stagger him without too much trouble it set up the rest of the fight to flow nicely.
I just got Odin down to over half health but then I got caught on the wrong side of the barrier, cloud died and that was it.

I've managed to beat Bahamut a few times consistently now so I'm guessing I'll eventually get it. Just puts me in a crappy mood. Hoping part 3 calms down with this type of challenge.

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
I just got Odin down to over half health but then I got caught on the wrong side of the barrier, cloud died and that was it.

I've managed to beat Bahamut a few times consistently now so I'm guessing I'll eventually get it. Just puts me in a crappy mood. Hoping part 3 calms down with this type of challenge.

Yeah, I absolutely feel you on that. Take a break if needed and try to stay cool. Any time I went back into that challenge impatiently, Hueyacoatl or Alexander would just cause me to do something stupid and waste MP or die early.

I feel there's too many gauntlet challenges in this for my sanity level. I love the game, but I never want to see some of this stuff again.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are they his dodge slash things? You're maybe transitioning from dodge to hit to focused thrust too quickly?

Probably dumb to ask, but I don't know if focused thrust has projectiles otherwise haha.
You must be attacking as you dodge before the focused thrust. It's the only way you can range attack with cloud that isn't magic.
It's not the regular dodge blade beam ranged attack, but rather a little ball of energy that comes out of Cloud. Like a tennis ball kinda. I don't think I have ever noticed it before, and I'm 200 hours in. It's making my job more difficult right now.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the regular dodge blade beam ranged attack, but rather a little ball of energy that comes out of Cloud. Like a tennis ball kinda. I don't think I have ever noticed it before, and I'm 200 hours in. It's making my job more difficult right now.
Are you using Gorgon Shield with the Enemy Skill Materia? That's the only thing I can think of with that behavior.

edit: Either that or its just the Elemental Materia visual effect and what's really happening is that you are using Focused Thrust too late.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I am fighting Rufus on normal mode now and boy that is testing my patience. It really shines a light on the sometimes baffling QoL omissions. Like I want to Change my Materia load out a bit to optimize for the fight since it's so different from most fights, but unless I am missing something, I have to redo that every attempt? Like... Why? That seems like such a baffling omission.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Rufus is about following simple enemy pattern. Its baffling to see how badly people get stuck on him when its as simple as block + wait for reload with the occasional dodge out of the telegraphed skill.

The only thing I'll give is that its easy to quickly get overwhelmed when Darkstar comes into the picture if you don't focus it down really quick.

No, but I did use the wind attack that buffs you, sonic boom I think it's called. Could that be the culprit? Or maybe the Prime Mode ability?
Sonic Boom doesn't passively attack after using it once no. I don't remember what Prime Mode does beyond the berserk-like buff so maybe that's the one.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017

I definitely understand and agree. Part 3 needs to cut out this sort of rubbish. There's nothing challenging nor fun about having to spend 10-15 mins retrying 10 round gauntlet battles. I definitely feel your frustration as I spent 15 hours on 'Bond of Friendship' alone before I was able to beat it. It's pretty much soured my overall experience on the game. All I can say is just keep trying and you'll eventually overcome it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There are too many mid battle cutscene during boss fights. Really breaks the flow of battle.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Rufus is about following simple enemy pattern. Its baffling to see how badly people get stuck on him when its as simple as block + wait for reload with the occasional dodge out of the telegraphed skill.

The only thing I'll give is that its easy to quickly get overwhelmed when Darkstar comes into the picture if you don't focus it down really quick.

Sonic Boom doesn't passively attack after using it once no. I don't remember what Prime Mode does beyond the berserk-like buff so maybe that's the one.

My main source of irritation is not even the fight itself, it's how it is a hassle to retry since you need to rearrange your equipment every time. Even though it doesn't take that long, it is annoying busywork in between attempts that shouldn't be there.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
My main source of irritation is not even the fight itself, it's how it is a hassle to retry since you need to rearrange your equipment every time. Even though it doesn't take that long, it is annoying busywork in between attempts that shouldn't be there.
Yeah that's the lack of loadouts being an odd omission when it was highly requested after Remake.

Jan 20, 2018
Finally got plat. Hard mode had only two tough parts that being Rufus and the last boss. Considering I blitzed through everything my materia set up was shaky going into that fight and forgot that members are determined based on bond level with Cloud. I spent more time completing Bonds of Friendship and To be a hero, than I did hard.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Running Wild might be the most annoying mini game of all time lol.

Aside from that, Costa Del Sol is a lot of fun.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird. No idea. 🤔

Good luck!
Tried the fight again today. I said 'fuck it' and stopped trying to do this one Aeroga strat that I found on youtube, and just played like I normally do.

Got him on my first try lmao.

I equiped the accessory that gives the character their max limit break. As soon as Darkstar appeared, I used Finishing Touch on it, which removed over half of his health. Then I wailed on it with Prime Mode, summoned Odin as soon as I could, and Odin ended up finishing Darkstar shortly after. When Odin did Zentetsuken, Rufus fell. lol.