• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What party member are you looking forward to playing as the most?

• Cloud

Votes: 228 18.8%
  • Barrett

Votes: 48 4.0%
  • Tifa

Votes: 305 25.2%
  • Aerith

Votes: 54 4.5%
  • Red XIII

Votes: 214 17.7%
  • Yuffie

Votes: 203 16.8%
  • Cait Sith

Votes: 159 13.1%

• Total voters

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Chapter 4

There are more female Shinra troopers than I remember there being in Remake. Creates more opportunities to put in Rufus fangirls, that's for sure.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Chapter 4

There are more female Shinra troopers than I remember there being in Remake. Creates more opportunities to put in Rufus fangirls, that's for sure.

You're correct because there aren't ANY female Shinra troopers in remake. Heck there weren't even any PoC I can recall, for a game that went out of its way to diversify the rando NPCs.

Rebirth (and maybe Ever Crisis) might be the first time we see square decide that the Shinra military should have some diversity.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a chance to sort through my thoughts as I slowly work my way to lvl70. I will just focus on combat here and focus on story stuff in the spoiler thread.

I think Rebirth did a good job with improving player side gameplay. Majority of the additions ended up working pretty well for the core combat mechanics. I think Rebirth isn't as tight of an experience as Remake overall due to the new additions, but I ended up preferring the greater flexibility and variety at a loss of quality of encounter design.

I think synergy skills mostly had a positive impact on combat flow. Most of them are fairly useful, even if some needed to be used in an unintentional way to be effective. I thought synergy skills would end up lacking due to lack of interaction with other mechanics, but what you get being based on the party composition ended up being sufficient for me. Synergy abilities are also fairly effective and the stun lock component is generally useful, but there is a bit more variance in effectiveness. Limit break plus is the generally good one as it raises LB level and does good damage. Stagger plus is good damage but completely useless for purpose of stagger extension as it locks two characters from doing damage during it. I think it would be better if stagger plus paused the timer from activation to end of recovery, and the animation length can be adjusted accordingly. Infinite MP is pretty good early on but falls off once mp absorption comes into play. It might still be occasionally useful in hard mode but its low damage (with a few exceptions) will make it lackluster I think. United Refocus is mostly only good on several characters as they need to have the ability to quickly build atb as well as quickly cash them out at a moments notice.

My biggest issue with synergy abilities was still that it's not worth using frequently enough in general encounters. There are several causes, such as much more efficient return per atb usage and weak enemy group composition. The game never added that one elite with about 30k or so HP even towards the end of the game to enemy groups, so kill time for most encounters remained under 1 minute instead of around 1.5-2 minutes which is what's really needed for synergy abilities to come into play without being overkill. I hope synergy abilities see more frequent usage in part 3 regardless of how it is approached.

Another minor concern I have with synergy abilities is that synergy gain can vary greatly across characters, and there is also notable difference between the main and the subs. This creates a decent surplus of synergy in many party setups that become wasted, which isn't inherently an issue but it really bugs me that resource is being wasted. I think it might help for there to be another way to use synergy.

The defensive additions were mostly quite strong and most enemies are unable to really deal with these new options in vs. 1 situations. Parry is lenient and having an option that neutralizes damage completely really throws the combat flow greatly in player's favor compared to Remake. The added invincibility to dodge is actually really good as it's extremely low iframes so it's situational enough but still allows for certain attack types to be added to improve enemy moveset variety. Weapon ability and synergy skill options are extremely lenient, and even atb cost of weapon abilities doesn't really even it out in many situations due to atb return on success. The addition of unblockables does help a bit and there are attacks that have enough lingering hitbox to go through the long invincibility frames, but overall I think enemy design wasn't able to keep up with playerd side additions. Encounters really need to have multiple elite or strong enemies as that's the only situations where there is enough attacks flying around that the lenient window and powerful effect doesn't feel out of place.

Summon remains the weakest part of the combat system for me. With how efficient each bar of atb is now, the up front cost for summoning is now prohibitively expensive. On top of that, summons don't trigger till first stagger and the ultimate doesn't trigger for a good amount of time after that and with the current average ttk for vast majority of encounters/bosses will never last long enough for summons to matter even if you make an effor to make them work. I think it might be worth having the summoning use synergy instead of atb as a way to get around that, and the current extra conditions for summon usage are outdated and should be removed if summon strength remains as is.

Weapon abilities remain extremely high quality mostly and the ratio of useful abilities, while lower than Remake in my opinion, remains really high as well. This remains extremely impressive to me especially with a larger party in play.

I ended up liking that every single character basically has an install of some kind. I thought everyone having one would make it less unique but they are different enough that it didn't turn out that way. Even things like prime mode which is just a superior replacement to normal punisher came out ok in practice.

As for more character specific stuff,

Cloud- He isn't the best at anything, but has value as the most balanced character overall. He is basically second or third in most stats and also second or third choice for most roles and can be mixed and matched in loadout to fill any hole in the party. He does have an unique function in Rebirth in that he is the only character that can output good damage in stagger phase with no resource requirements thanks to melee blade. This allows for more liberal use of atbs outside of stagger phase and he even allows for net positive atb gain through stagger phase. This will make him extremely valuable in the party even if he is not the best character at any role.

Braver remains a great benchmark for damage abilities. Triple slash is Cloud's best move to generate synergy due to speed. Focused thrust remains benchmark for stagger build-up. Disorder is a great opener for burst opportunities. Prime mode opens up a ton of utility as well as damage potential. Infinitiy's end is useless due to existence of melee blade. Blade burst works fine as a magic version of braver. Counterstance is largely irrelevant due to counterfire being usable in punisher mode. Overall a pretty diverse set of abilities offensively for single target that is a little lacking in the utility department.

Barret- Amazing as a sub character due to overload. While atb generation is reduced greatly for AI controlled characters, switching to barret and using overload then switching out generates normal amount of atb and overload generation isn't reduced for AI so barret's atb gain is extremely healthy as long you check on him now and then. This makes him the best support character in my opinion as he can keep up in atb generation with a materia loaded Yuffie. His damage efficiency per ATB is not good, but his damage efficiency per button press is great, which is really nice for a sub character as he requires very little babysitting. He is great as a third during stagger phase as you can just drive by him with a button press and get mileage, be it overload or an actual weapon ability. His synergy abilities are on the more mediocre side.

I mostly didn't use steelskin so no comment. Focused shot remains the best stagger build-up by a large margin (3 bar is basically instant stagger when hitting an elemental weakness). Maximum Fury is a good AoE-equivalent option for clearing trash. Bonus round is a great install that adds significant stagger build-up. Lifesaver is situationally useful just as before. Charging Uppercut is lackluster due to long animation length and you basically get the same amount of overload charge using the extra time on normal attack instead off other abilities. Point blank is a great ability withs fairly efficient damage, a ton of armor, and cannot be thrown for some reason. Smackdown is decent AoE, a great CC/interrupt, and makes Charging uppercut irrelevant. Lifeblood cannon has a line aoe and micro-stun on the initial hit which gives it a lot of utility. Turbulent spirit is more atb which is great. Barret has an amazing set of abilities with tons of utility in supporting the main in single target instances and being the main in trash clearing situations. He is perfect as the second or third character in a party.

Tifa- Tifa remains the best character for stagger as she is always ready for it in practice. Like Cloud, she doesn't need to go into stagger with additional resources to get good damage which reduces the amount of time needed for her to be ready. Some of the new additions also allows her to play more than just the multiplier battery role, and she can comfortably fit as either main or sub in a party. Her damage outside of stagger is a little lackluster compared to other main/point candidates like Yuffie/Red but she more than makes up for it during stagger. Her offensive synergy abilities are fairly situational, but her defensive one is very solid and helps her play point.

Unbridled Strength remains an amazing basis for her kit. Divekick is braver which is great. Focused strike helps Tifa run point when needed. Reverse gale has an element which makes it decent occasionally but it's magic which isn't good on TIfa. Overpower is good for fitting damage in tight windows mostly. Starshower animation is too long, making it really inefficient. Chi trap is not good due to its stationary nature, and unfettered fury places a free chi trap that's a shorter, more effective duration (I think chi trap should work more like lightning rod with the normal fury string having the ability to move it around instead of just genrating a free one). Unfettered Fury is great as lvl2 attack shores up her stagger build-up nicely. True Strike is a situational replacement for omnistrike, being faster when charge is taken into account but doesn't return atb. Trinity Strike is a really efficient damage per atb ability that's long enough that it can't just fit anywhere so it doesn't replace divekick outright. Tifa doesn't offer much utility but she does her main role really well and unfettered fury allows her to more effectively fast track to stagger so she doesn't need to rely on other party members to carry that load as much.

Aerith- Aerith remains a turret and can still crank out the most amount of damage over a 15-20 second window, but she requires a lot of setup and attention to make things happen. There are definitely more bad match ups for her as her defensive options are just ok, which is problematic given that her attacks all have bad recovery. She is quite a bit more materia dependent as well as having the right ones make a much bigger difference for her than most other characters. She should definitely get first dibs to a lot of stuff when she is in the party, and while she is likely the main dps when she is in the party, she will need someone else to play point frequently

Soul drain remains solid options. Sorcerous Storm's melee range remains a notable downside in boss encounters. Arcane ward is good. Radiant ward is amazing, but it does cut into the function of tempest and familiar pretty harshly. Chrono Aegis is only useful against trash. Lustrous shield is situationally useful and not being omni-directional remains a notable downside. ATB ward is still good. Ray of judgement is too slow and will only be useful as the very last option. Trascendence is a great install. Noble Sacrifice is only relevant in the most situational instances as it costs 2 atb. Aerith has some duds but the good abilities are really good. She can really only be played one way but she is really good at that one way.

Red- I think Red is the best point character in the game once he gets retaliation, which also changes his gauge management completely. Red can crank out more damage outside of stagger than anyone else, but his damage during stagger is also near the bottom. He has defensive options to cover for every situation as well, and ends up having pretty decent utility. Red has really bad match ups against enemies thath ave a lot of unblockables as he can't generate gauge unless hits connect, so ideally another character in the party can play point when those bad matchups show up.

Sidewinder is a great ability to default to. Stardust Ray remains a great crowd control ability throughout the game. Sentinel stance is good early but mostly gets replaced by other defensive options later as it isn't atb efficient. Cresent claw is not good as it's a directional AoE, and Ray just does crowd control/AoE damage better. Chilling roar is subpar as it's magic damage and it's the same gauge generation condition as normal (it would be better if this ability allowed for gauge generation on dodge). Supernal Fervor largel falls out as it costs 2 atb and better 2 atb options show up eventually. Respite is a decent heal and may be more useful during hard mode. Spirit is a great ability and is the full gauge option whereas retaliation is the low gauge option. Retaliation is Red's best ability in my opinion as it gives him a lot more flexibility in how to use his gauge. Reaper's touch is amazing damage per atb use once below 50% HP but it's hard to get Red to 50% naturally. Red also has some duds but the good ones are really good and while it does take a while for him to feel complete he is great once everything is in place.

Yuffie- Yuffie is a great hybrid character and has the most consistent damage output out of all characters. I feel like offensively she is even more well rounded than Cloud, and Cloud's advantage is mostly superior stats which helps in making him play support more effectively. She also has a lot of interesting extra mechanics with a lage part of her kit due to her ability interaction depending on where the Shuriken is. which is quite different from other characters. I think Yuffie really needs to be the main if she is in the party as the drop off between player to AI for her is much larger than other characters due to how art of war works. She is a really strong point just like Red with a good number of strong defensive options.

Art of war being a continuation buff makes Yuffie's playstyle a non-stop offensive type which is fairly unique. Brumal form makes everything work as it makes continuation reasonably easy to achieve. Ninjutsu is just nice flexibility to have. Blindside is amazing as it's a stun breaker/recovery cancel while also working as a dodge with some iframes. Windstorm is a good AoE for trash. Doppelganger is a great install. Shooting star is a decent DoT ability. Banishment is just more damage which is good. Storm's Fury is a great 3 atb cash out and makes refocus really valuable on her. Purification is more of a heal which is just ok. Yuffie has amazing utility, even if it's mostly selfish, and she really has no duds to speak of. Offensively I think she is able to do it all, and even if she isn't the highest damage during any particular situation, with sufficient resources she can get really close. She needs to be the main to shine though, in my opinion.

Cait- Cait is the most lackluster character of the current group in my opinion but it's less that Cait is objectively lackluster but more that the rest of the group is extremely solid. I think he is just slightly off in many areas. Most commonly, a lot of his animations have that extra flair to give him character which is really nice visually, but it also adds like .5-1 second or so of startup or recovery which makes his combat flow feel off compared to other characters. Kaboom and magic can have a much shorter startup in my opinion. I think that they should also lean into the two-character design a bit more and further de-couple cait and moogle's actions as a solution if they want to keep those extra animations and make up time by having Cait be more active when a moogle specific weapon ability (such as fortune telling when riding or moogle knuckle) is used, or the moogle when a Cait' specific ability (such as dice or lady luck) is used. In general, just a notable increase in frequency of action for Cait should be enough as fundamentally his kit is really solid despite its random nature in a lot of places.

Let's ride is ok for its necessity. Dodge n' Dive is a good ability but needing to resummon the moogle afterwards can make things feel al ittle cumbersome as is. Dice is fine. Fortune is good. Kaboom takes a little too long to prime in my opinion. Mine can be a bit too random. Magic is just ok due to its mostly single use nature. Knuckle is great. Lady Luck is solid. Lucky slots is lackluster as it's 2 atb and the effects you get aren't amazing considering how long you will be stuck in practice. Cait mostly moves fairly well when just attacking normally, but currently his abilities has notable negative impact on his combat flow due to excessive startup or recovery at various places. I think he can also benefit with more situational extra mechanics like Yuffie as he fits the hybrid archtype as well.

Overall I think they continue to do a great job with playstyle design of the characters and weapon abilities continue to be mostly great. There is also enough variety between them that party composition has really healthy diversity. I look forward to seeing how they approach Cid and Vincent's design and fit them in.

Last edited:

FrozenIn

Feb 26, 2024
60 hours in and in Chapter 11, and I think I see the endgame for both Queen's Blood and Chocobo questlines. Would be fun if the Kalm innkeeper makes an appearance.
I hope there will be another similar game spanning questline which I can work on during replay while exploring the regions. Maybe the potorelics, did just the one in Lighthouse in the Grasslands.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking did it, I'm free !!!

HkB4G1e.png

Good luck to anyone else still trying to get that Plat !
See you guys in Part 3 :)

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
How many hours for each? Steam has me at 128 for the first game and want to see how much to expect from second game when I get to it.
I don't own Remake anymore but iirc it was about 60 hours (+10 for Yuffie DLC) and then 148 hours for Rebirth.
For Rebirth I played Dynamic for all of my first playthrough, completed every regions before the final boss and then I looked for trophy guides.

Last edited:

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Wow, in Chapter 13 the party gets reunited and then you're going to make me play with the separated party again in a flashback. This game is great but what a drag this chapter is!

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
60 hours in and in Chapter 11, and I think I see the endgame for both Queen's Blood and Chocobo questlines. Would be fun if the Kalm innkeeper makes an appearance.
I hope there will be another similar game spanning questline which I can work on during replay while exploring the regions. Maybe the potorelics, did just the one in Lighthouse in the Grasslands.

The protorelics quest line is fantastic and has a bunch of bespoke mini-games as part of it from region to region.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own Remake anymore but iirc it was about 60 hours (+10 for Yuffie DLC) and then 148 hours for Rebirth.
For Rebirth I played Dynamic for all of my first playthrough, completed every regions before the final boss and then I looked for trophy guides.

Just over half the time for my complete Remake+Yuffie, but I also did a full Hard mode play, still doing all the side stuff and watching all the cut scenes again. I can probably expect to double the time for Rebirth though as well I'm sure. Thanks.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Been making my way through hardmode(up to chapter 6) and some of the endgame VR bouts last couple days and it's definitely driving home again how much I like this gameplay.

Now I'm def gonna probably despair and grow bitter once I hit any of the problem challenges towards the end that def from hearsay sound overkill but for now I'm having a great time.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
It's done. After 140 hours I have done everything. Now just hard mode to get through. After 140 hours I would think I'd get bored but nah I wanna do the whole story again without worrying about any of the side stuff. Goat

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
okay, I put this to you all because its driving me nuts—what am I missing?

Aerith has Synergy linked with Fire, but doesn't cast fire when I do an attack command with Cloud. She will only cast fire when I also cast fire.

? It should be commands, no? Is something like my auto-cast/heal interfering with it? Am I going crazy?

View: https://imgur.com/a/SPOoZZa

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Aerith has Synergy linked with Fire, but doesn't cast fire when I do an attack command with Cloud. She will only cast fire when I also cast fire.

? It should be commands, no? Is something like my auto-cast/heal interfering with it? Am I going crazy?

I found that the synergy materia only worked randomly. I had it on Aerith, paired with Comet, and she would very much not cast Comet every time that I used an ability with Cloud lol. She cast it enough that it was kind of wild though.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I found that the synergy materia only worked randomly. I had it on Aerith, paired with Comet, and she would very much not cast Comet every time that I used an ability with Cloud lol. She cast it enough that it was kind of wild though.

She never casts fire tho :( only when I cast fire. And I don't want to sit there and cast fire with Cloud lol

Does Aerith hate fire??? Lol

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017

Having Fire linked with MP Absorb may be causing issues? Or you are just extremely unlucky and Aerith is always in the middle of an animation when you use attack commands.

I had Synergy linked with Petrify for most of the game and it would go off constantly.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

Auto-cast might cancel out Synergy or at the very least she is doing a heal animation when you use ATB so Fire isn't proccing.

ber

Oct 31, 2017
I think i'd play this game all the way to part 3 if they let us play around with the combat simulator in a mario maker kind of way.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Is it actually possible to max out folio skills? done all green side quests and at level 70. Only missing few books I think.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Is it actually possible to max out folio skills? done all green side quests and at level 70. Only missing few books I think.

Sounds like you're missing a ton of books. You need to run through basically all of hard mode to collect the remaining manuscripts, including chapters, quests, classified intel, and legendary VR.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

I'm glad you're asking here because I was really racking my brain trying to help you solve this in PMs, lol.

I would definitely try taking off Autocast and see if that allows Synergy Comet to activate instead.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Having Fire linked with MP Absorb may be causing issues? Or you are just extremely unlucky and Aerith is always in the middle of an animation when you use attack commands.

I had Synergy linked with Petrify for most of the game and it would go off constantly.

Auto-cast might cancel out Synergy or at the very least she is doing a heal animation when you use ATB so Fire isn't proccing.

I'm glad you're asking here because I was really racking my brain trying to help you solve this in PMs, lol.

I would definitely try taking off Autocast and see if that allows Synergy Comet to activate instead.

Thanks all. I think tonight, I'll just sit there and remove the other linked materia one by one and see which one is causing the problem….

And lol, ravn0s when I tried last night, she was literally standing there, I turned my camera to look at her, did a braver, and she just stared at me :(

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I knew power cleave was overkill but didn't realize by how much till genji glove finally came into play. Even at just lvl55 with no elemental materia, weapons and materias not yet maxed out, and no critical it can break 20k at the tail end of a stagger phase. I had been using titan for testing but he just doesn't have enough HP at this point (again, really weird that hard mode sets summon fights to normal instead of keeping them at dynamic at least or something) so I reworked the stagger phase sequence for my team 1 now that all the equipment and tools are available and tested on the zone 6 summon which has at least enough HP for a stagger phase.

Including critical, I think the second power cleave should clear 25k pretty easily once everything is maxed out. Not sure if it will clear 30k though as there might just not be enough stats. If the target is not immune to deprotect then it should be possible.

Last edited:

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Finishing up chapter 9, I really do not enjoy the open world of this game. So much of it is just going to an objective for Chadley while the actual area is barren. Then the interesting things: Summon battles and Intel battles, are all relegated to an empty VR universe run by Chadley. It made sense in Remake, but now it's just annoying things would be infinitely more interesting in the actual world than how it currently is. Queen's blood and the actual main story (excluding the robed men nonsense, such a boring storyline) only things keeping me going at this point.

I'm in the middle of Chapter 11 and I feel the same way. The open-world feels too engineered... too game design-y.

Say what you will about the original FF7, but it followed the same formula as the FF games that preceded it in that the world map was largely linear (until end game, airships, and so forth) but gave the illusion of discovery, that you stumbled across something yourself. It felt organic in that the world existed and then became more populated with the specific towns, and points of interest throughout it. The feeling I get when playing through Rebirth is that the designers knew what towns and areas were needed to propel the narrative forward, and then were like "well shit, we need to fill that in, here's a bunch of crap to do" and they took the worst possible check-list/map filling design that they could've done to do so. In an age where we now have Elden Ring and BOTW/TOTK (and I'd argue some more "traditional" JRPGs like DQXI and the Xenoblade series) showing how to demonstrate open world game designs that encourage wanderlust... Rebirth goes in the complete opposite direction, which is extremely disheartening since the FF series used to do it so remarkably well.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I wasted a lot of timing trying to learn the timing for Trinity Strike before reading that the only thing you really need to look for is the Attack prompt in the UI changing to Trinity Strike to know exactly when to press, which also only needs to be done twice.

And now I'm busy seeing if last-minute sidequests ahead of
the second Gold Saucer date will get me anyone other than Red XIII.

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
Ch.13
That trial section really took me by surprise, they turned that clock part into something really awesome, a veritable highlight of loss and trauma. It reinforces one of the main theme of the OG that every character has to deal with. It's sort of insane they created playable parts just for these dream-like scenes.

Regarding the adamantoise, lol the game tried giving you a hint by making not one but two Subversion materia available for pick-up. I didn't personally do it, but I guess removing his buff weakens his flame spam, because it definitely got more intense the more buffs he had.

Demon Wall was kinda easy imo, but I like that they took ideas from some of the OG mods.

Last edited:

ChocoBuddy

Apr 9, 2024
Finishing up chapter 9, I really do not enjoy the open world of this game. So much of it is just going to an objective for Chadley while the actual area is barren. Then the interesting things: Summon battles and Intel battles, are all relegated to an empty VR universe run by Chadley. It made sense in Remake, but now it's just annoying things would be infinitely more interesting in the actual world than how it currently is. Queen's blood and the actual main story (excluding the robed men nonsense, such a boring storyline) only things keeping me going at this point.

I came in here to post the exact same thing. I really think this is kind of a bad "open world game" in that sense of the term.

Before Ch 9 it was pretty mediocre, with the same icon littering and repetitive activities, but adding in Gongaga's terrible navigation made it really rough. Honestly shocked I never saw anyone reviewing this make mention of it.

If the combat wasn't as good as it is, I would struggle to finish this game.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
So I got to Junon and progressed the story to where I'm about to go to Upper Junon. I'd rather do all the Junon side stuff before I go up but I can't figure out a way to access the bigger Junon Region map. I can't get to most of the icons. So it seems my only choice is to go up. It says when I go up I won't be able to come down for a while. Is this what I'm supposed to do? Will I only be able to access the larger Junon Region map after I go up?

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
So this might be a weird question from someone who is more than halfway through the game and has played and won every available queens blood match, but how do you actually play queens blood?

So far literally my only strategy has been full on zerg rush to take as many tiles as fast as possible to prevent my opponent from placing cards, and it has been working weirdly well, my entire deck is just using pretty common cards with the aim to just take as many tiles as fast as possible, i don't bother with points i don't bother with cards that destroy other cards or even many of the cards that buff my own cards and i don't use any of the fancy cards with special effects, i just block my opponent so they don't have the chance to place more than four or five cards, any time i have attempted anything else than the zerg rush i get my ass wrecked.

Granted i am not very far into the game but surely i can't just keep doing this for the rest of the game?

Queens blood is fun but it is getting a bit stale just winning in exactly the same way every match.

Last edited:

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
Since I just finished Persona 3 Reload, I just started it last night and my god is Kalm so detailed. Seriously, this game is so stunning!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Are there checkpoints in hard mode during the last boss fight sequence?
Yeah don't worry, you can't skip the little cutscenes between phase so if you die at the final final boss it'll show you the one before it but it is much better than a Legendary VR fight redoing the 9 fights before.
So this might be a weird question from someone who is more than halfway through the game and has played and won every available queens blood match, but how do you actually play queens blood?

So far literally my only strategy has been full on zerg rush to take as many tiles as fast as possible to prevent my opponent from placing cards, and it has been working weirdly well, my entire deck is just using pretty common cards with the aim to just take as many tiles as fast as possible, i don't bother with points i don't bother with cards that destroy other cards or even many of the cards that buff my own cards and i don't use any of the fancy cards with special effects, i just block my opponent so they don't have the chance to place more than four or five cards, any time i have attempted anything else than the zerg rush i get my ass wrecked.

Granted i am not very far into the game but surely i can't just keep doing this for the rest of the game?

Queens blood is fun but it is getting a bit stale just winning in exactly the same way every match.
Once I got the Chocobo card I just played a lot of card buffing and with Ifrit and scores go high very fast that way, it worked until the final Blood Queen duel and you'll understand why when you reach it, haha.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Expected Tifa for the second Gold Saucer date after trying to see who could show up aside from Red, got Yuffie. Fairly certain that winning against her in the 3D brawler mini-game was the deciding factor there. Decided to see how that went and potentially load a different file after doing the remaining Tifa affinity sidequest, but I really didn't feel like doing another chocobo quest at the time and that included more racing, so between that and all of the arena battling afterward I'll likely just stick to what I have for this run.

And having to repeat the arena battles from the beginning because Corneo's a cheating piece of shit who brought Tonberries for the third match all while I didn't have any of my anti-instant death accessories equipped sucked ass.

It was definitely easier to build affinity with Aerith in the original FFVII by comparison (you pretty much had to try to get anyone else).

tjh282

May 29, 2019
Just finished today. Instantly in my Top 3. Favorite combat system ever. Really looking forward to Cid and Vincent's gameplay and whatever they do with KOTR in Part 3. Kinda surreal to think they could make 30th anniversary, thinking back to being a 5 yr old that instantly was enthralled watching a family friend go through Cosmo Canyon with Red XIII, Cloud and Tifa

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks all. I think tonight, I'll just sit there and remove the other linked materia one by one and see which one is causing the problem….

And lol, ravn0s when I tried last night, she was literally standing there, I turned my camera to look at her, did a braver, and she just stared at me :(

So, after playing around with this… Aerith is just a Hard No on Fire lol.

I removed every other linked item (MP absorb, auto cast), she refused to cast Fire when I used a command. She would stare at me while I used a command, straight in the eye, and then do nothing.

Switched it to Comet, and…she did it? Did one braver, comet!!

Put the linked materia back on (MP Absorb, auto cast for heal), and swapped both of my Fires for Petrifies (though they're both level one…), and… one braver, quake!!

So is Synergy just not meant for the more "common" spells or something? That's bizarre if so, but it's the only conclusion I can come to lol.

🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ Aerith girl, what you doing.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
So I got to Junon and progressed the story to where I'm about to go to Upper Junon. I'd rather do all the Junon side stuff before I go up but I can't figure out a way to access the bigger Junon Region map. I can't get to most of the icons. So it seems my only choice is to go up. It says when I go up I won't be able to come down for a while. Is this what I'm supposed to do? Will I only be able to access the larger Junon Region map after I go up?

Not sure what the bigger "junon region map" is but you can complete all the Junon intel before going up. And once you go up it will be many chapters before you return.

You do need to 1) catch the chocobo and 2) do a sidequest to get into the crow's nest.

Nov 27, 2017
I had a weird but advantageous glitch today. I was doing the Corel Region Intel 2 VR fight, the one with Kid G and the 2 Deathclaws. Aerith died while I wasn't controlling her, but I noticed her character was still just standing there and not in the death animation. I tried to Raise her, but for some reason she was grayed out, just like my other 2 characters. Eventually they ended up dying as well, but then control went back to Aerith. She had 0 HP and the enemies would not target her. They either just stood there or targeted the other dead bodies. I could just attack them from across the screen with no reaction. It still counted as a win after I killed all the enemies. Maybe it was unearned, but I'll take it.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I had a weird but advantageous glitch today. I was doing the Corel Region Intel 2 VR fight, the one with Kid G and the 2 Deathclaws. Aerith died while I wasn't controlling her, but I noticed her character was still just standing there and not in the death animation. I tried to Raise her, but for some reason she was grayed out, just like my other 2 characters. Eventually they ended up dying as well, but then control went back to Aerith. She had 0 HP and the enemies would not target her. They either just stood there or targeted the other dead bodies. I could just attack them from across the screen with no reaction. It still counted as a win after I killed all the enemies. Maybe it was unearned, but I'll take it.
I had two funny battle glitches happen over the past couple of days:

-When fighting the Mindflayer in one of the Battle Square fights, the AI for it broke and it just stood there doing nothing for the last 25% of its health bar. I think this had to do with it coming out of stagger at the precise moment my summon unleashed its ultimate attack. If I remember correctly, its stagger gauge did not increase anymore after this happened, either. Not even a little chipping away at it or anything.

-Red XIII has a party-wide healing move that consumes his Vengeance gauge, but apparently the timing for when the healing occurs and when the Vengeance gauge is consumed is not simultaneous, so it's possible to get healing done for basically free if you are knocked out of the casting of it at just the right time. I actually had this happen twice in the same fight lol.

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017

You can go everywhere from the first moment you reach Junon. Just head south and then east. And make sure you have the regions chocobo.

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017

I had two funny battle glitches happen over the past couple of days:

-When fighting the Mindflayer in one of the Battle Square fights, the AI for it broke and it just stood there doing nothing for the last 25% of its health bar. I think this had to do with it coming out of stagger at the precise moment my summon unleashed its ultimate attack. If I remember correctly, its stagger gauge did not increase anymore after this happened, either. Not even a little chipping away at it or anything.

-Red XIII has a party-wide healing move that consumes his Vengeance gauge, but apparently the timing for when the healing occurs and when the Vengeance gauge is consumed is not simultaneous, so it's possible to get healing done for basically free if you are knocked out of the casting of it at just the right time. I actually had this happen twice in the same fight lol.
The one advantageous battle glitch I had was in the Musclehead Colosseum fight as well. Great Morbol got suspended mid air somehow and stopped attacking me. I had one character alive with 1 hp due to the "countdown" spell the enemy casts. Morbol dropped back to the ground when it was close to death. I panicked so hard, but luckily it died before I did. Other than that, the game is basically bug free for me (except that final sidequest).

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks too much fun for streamers I've watched. Finally bought a PS5 and Rebirth, lol. Time to mosey into the unknown. Had to finish FF7 Remake first of course.

FrozenIn

Feb 26, 2024
I had the benefit of Limit Break being fixed too well. In the boss fight of Chapter 11, only Cait Sith was left standing and I applied Limit Break just as he went down, the ending animation played and I was relieved it worked out. Didn't really make any effort to learn Cait Sith's abilities and it became a difficult battle.

On chapter 12 now and the game seems to be promoting exploration. Works fine for me, will goof around in summer wear till I feel the urge to progress on to the main story.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
How TF do you beat the last battle?

I was at full health, and I got one shot when the boss was literally 0% health? Dude I have a life, I worked like an ass all week, one thing if it was difficult but it was an already messy kingdom heartsy level of shite and it was spongy rather than tough. F*ck off, Square Enix.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
How TF do you beat the last battle?

I was at full health, and I got one shot when the boss was literally 0% health? Dude I have a life, I worked like an ass all week, one thing if it was difficult but it was an already messy kingdom heartsy level of shite and it was spongy rather than tough. F*ck off, Square Enix.
You gotta stagger him. Or you die.