• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What party member are you looking forward to playing as the most?

• Cloud

Votes: 228 18.8%
  • Barrett

Votes: 48 4.0%
  • Tifa

Votes: 305 25.1%
  • Aerith

Votes: 54 4.5%
  • Red XIII

Votes: 214 17.6%
  • Yuffie

Votes: 205 16.9%
  • Cait Sith

Votes: 159 13.1%

• Total voters

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The tells just aren't great for a lot of attacks. You just have to memorize the timing through trial and error for some stuff. It's another aspect to the parry mechanics that I'm not really a big fan of in a game like this. I think it's at odds with the RPG-ness of managing resources when you can potentially perfect block and negate all damage in most situations if you're technically proficient enough. One of the few changes from Remake that I'm not a big fan of. Though I see why people like it, as it greatly raises the skill ceiling.

Though if you aren't playing hard mode, blocking (especially with Steadfast Block materia) is plenty strong enough to get you through the game. No parrying needed!

Ah makes sense. Will give the steadfast block materia a shot as well (probably a better option for someone like me who's not great at timing parries to begin with). Not sure I've seen any for sale at this point of the game but will keep a look out. Thanks.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
How fast is it determined who

you go on a date with when returning to the Golden Saucer? I was thinking to test that out and then reload and do the side quests leading up to it but if it takes too long I may not bother with the initial visit.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

you go on a date with when returning to the Golden Saucer? I was thinking to test that out and then reload and do the side quests leading up to it but if it takes too long I may not bother with the initial visit.
After you beat the game there's an option for who to get in the date with chapter select.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017

You go to saucer, find dio, sleep, and you find out, so less than 10 minutes. I did the same before doing side quests in this chapter.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I went on the date with Tifa. I should have checked. I swear, my max stat was with Aerith…. :(

I can continue to do quests (at the very end of chapter 12), what impact do they have on the rest of the game?

Note: I'm only on chapter 12. Plz don't spoil me anything beyond that!

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
The early stretch of Chapter 13 has unexpectedly strong Nier vibes, really love the feel of the area. Later on in Chapter 13, the fact that they have this whole specific [not mentioning just in case] animation instead of simply fading to black with "Meanwhile..." when swapping between parties stands out enough that I'm suddenly updating my guess to how one major unanswered question will actually work lol.

I really haven't enjoyed a lot of the dungeon design in Rebirth compared to Remake (which itself had a couple clunkers already) but I'm enjoying this one, even if it fundamentally isn't very different than the others.

Getting the sense I'm rapidly approaching the end. Strapping in to hopefully finish the story tonight.

edit: lol unless i hate my future "has to get up for work" self that is not happening tonight
edit edit: apologies future self, but: "several cutscenes will play in sequence" and i must see them through
edit edit edit: bummer! i've been overwhelmingly on board with the remake project overall and never imagined i'd feel this negative at the end of rebirth. somehow manages to hit every one of my storytelling pet peeves.

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I went on the date with Tifa. I should have checked. I swear, my max stat was with Aerith…. :(

I can continue to do quests (at the very end of chapter 12), what impact do they have on the rest of the game?

They don't really, beyond items or exp you earn by doing them.

There's merit to doing them, but if you're worried about events you can impact (like who you date in chapter 12) after this point...I don't recall there being any.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Still early in, but dare I say Queen's Blood may slowly be clicking for me. Defeated everyone in the Crow's Nest without too much of an issue. Watching a guide video on Youtube definitely helped a lot, and realizing silly mistakes I was making to give the opponent too many pawns on the board.
Can't say I'm actually good at it yet, and I'm guessing they'll add different card abilities later on that will undoubtedly confuse me once again. But for now, starting to enjoy the matches a lot more.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
A quick question regarding the remaining length of chapter 14. I am currently at what is probably the final savepoint, with Cloud alone where the game tells you to prepare for the final stretch . How much longer do I have with boss fights and cutscenes altogether (playing on easy btw)? Just need to know if I can finish it today evening or wait for the weekend to wrap it up.

speiky

"This guy are sick" says the Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
After 161 hours I am finally free. Platinum achieved. Now I feel empty.
I'm almost there myself. Decided to re-run chapter 12 several times for play log reasons.
Just wrapping up all side quests in hard mode. Will do my hard mode playthrough right after. Should be in and around the same time you had. I'm at 140 hours now, with 4 side quests left.

Z'ard

Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine

There is one scene after ch12 that depends if your affinity is light blue or not

Z'ard

Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
So I've just watched the bit that mirrors Aerith's death and I'm confused and wondering if I missed something.
WIthout spoiling anything after the last boss russ, which I had to pause for the night, is it possible to explain to me what I saw? I think I watched Cloud successfully fend off Sephiroth's attack. But then we cut to the alternative/previous reality where Sephiroth does kill Aerith and see that play out (the sword has blood). But then we cut back to our current reality and Aerith actually is dead? How did that happen? I feel like I missed a quick shot or something. There was a lot to take in.
Nobody knows what really happened there. There are only theories.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody knows what really happened there. There are only theories.
Ah okay thanks, and to everyone who replied. I still haven't finished so I haven't made my way to the spoiler thread so posting here. But my theory here is that Sephiroth was saying this was the "reunion" of realities - so even though Cloud did save Aerith in this reality, he is collapsing possibility into one shared reality, and he's kept the one where he killed her.
I really hope they clear this up because this is classic JRPG foray into crazy town which is usually fine but not spread across 10 years, I can't handle it 😅

oty

Feb 28, 2023
man its so sad how crap the last sidequest is. did pretty much everything else of the game but im pretty sure im just gonna drop this and end the last few chapters

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 8... Man that was heavy. Dyne didn't even release Barrett at the end there "You live with that guilt."

Just unlocked Cait Sith, hopefully he's perfectly viable. I really like the idea of a luck/dice based party member.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
The last two rings right before you land require you too get enough air to perfectly catch both of them. Many people have a hard time with it. If you got it in almost one go you probably had some luck on your side, especially if you knew to ascend before hand because the course doesn't imply that you should.

It's one of the mini games I disliked not because of the difficulty but because the last course was almost designed to trick you and be frustrating. And you're comment about it only being a "skill issue" is an annoying defense I see a lot on this forum for the mini games.

Like, If I can beat Elden Ring I probably shouldn't have skill issues on a fucking mini game in FF7R lol.

The second stage also took me much longer than the third, dunno why. I guess I had enough practice after the second stage. The only hard part about the last one was having enough height at the end. Until that point it is free though since you can always return to the turbines.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
101 hours later.....credits just rolled. Excellent game. Likely my favorite post ps1/n64 RPG.

Did everything there is to do other than a few protorelics (shit like the Fort Condor mini game was not for me) and the last Queens Blood challenge

I guess the ending was more timeline shenanigans'? No idea. Going to the spoiler thread now.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Ending of Chadley/World Intel stuff is silly.

Celebrating the fact we've collected intel for the entire world despite the extremely obvious gaps on the map for areas saved for part 3. There's a throwaway line at the end saying maybe this will lead to uncovered areas of the world, but like, big settlements like Rocket Town and Icicle Inn, and the entire country of Wutai, are uncovered areas? lol

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Chapter 5 boss

There's the hard stuff I remember from Remake. Constantly on the back foot, ATB-starved, and struggling to choose between offense and healing.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if this has been asked but I'm wary of spoilers

Anybody else having massive audio mix issues? I go into any cutscene and the MUSIC is loud and the voices are tiny. Making it really hard to hear or, at the bery least, appreciate what characters are saying, they get drowned out.

Tried messing with the in-game settings and it didn't make much of a difference. Thank god for subtitles but it has made some scenes a bit lackluster. I use a soundbar and havent run into this issue with other games

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sad because I feel like I'm the only person not loving the game, despite loving Remake.

It feels weird being alone against a consensus.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Why? It's okay to not like a game despite general consensus

Your own opinion is what matters anyway

Because too much of the game is just filler.

The story didn't even begin until Chapter 9 and everything before that was a filler episode of Cloud and his friends on vacation.

And the side content was just too much for me. It probably really soured me on the game.

If I just did the main story, I would've ended up liking the game more. But on first playthroughs, because of FOMO, I always try to to all side content.

But the open world just exhausted me.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

Anybody else having massive audio mix issues? I go into any cutscene and the MUSIC is loud and the voices are tiny. Making it really hard to hear or, at the bery least, appreciate what characters are saying, they get drowned out.

Tried messing with the in-game settings and it didn't make much of a difference. Thank god for subtitles but it has made some scenes a bit lackluster. I use a soundbar and havent run into this issue with other games
Yes its incredibly bad and makes it really hard to hear the conversations. Mostly happens during sidequests. The mixing is super rough, it has to be a bug or something I was shocked lol.

edit: on a 5.1 surround system

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes its incredibly bad and makes it really hard to hear the conversations. Mostly happens during sidequests. The mixing is super rough, it has to be a bug or something I was shocked lol.

edit: on a 5.1 surround system

Its a real bummer, latest example was in Chapter 12
when the announcers for the fight, who I enjoyed in remake cause they were fun and had good hype, could BARELY be heard over the music
Otherwise, aside from Barret, the cast tends to be soft spoken to begin with so it really doesnt do them any favors. Easily the worst part of the game for me.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Because too much of the game is just filler.

The story didn't even begin until Chapter 9 and everything before that was a filler episode of Cloud and his friends on vacation.

And the side content was just too much for me. It probably really soured me on the game.

If I just did the main story, I would've ended up liking the game more. But on first playthroughs, because of FOMO, I always try to to all side content.

But the open world just exhausted me.
No I meant, it's okay to not like the game while others do :p

The side content debate I had with friends ngl but we are so far apart on that one. They wanna play all and then are bothered when they feel burned out and I never played a game completely I don't want to no matter which sword I get.. Here I did it all, cause I wanted :')

Rebirth very much is a filler game tho, by design it's the one where the party is build and crumbles. I also had a lot of debates on that with friends I don't see party and relationship building as filler, it's needed imo and myself I find it a shame that people don't really like that building stage anymore.

We care more for Cloud and the others because of that building stage imo. There is no payoff without these breather moments, without that slow burn

oty

Feb 28, 2023
wtf is wrong with Odin? i'm literally barely getting hit and he's doing Zantetsuken pretty much right after I first stagger him

oty

Feb 28, 2023
the game bugged and now i lost the save. gotta fight kujata and bahamut again

yep, that's enough rebirth for the week.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
For hard mode I chose to do ch.12 first to knock out all the side quests first, during which I realized that I missed the final armor piece in ch.13 so I guess I'm doing that next. The open world difficulty has been fairly similar to first playthrough with some instances being easier. This is mainly because the drawback of no items is a lot less impactful in this game than remake. I think Choco benches restoring mp is in a vacuum a decent idea, but having no limit on cushions really undercuts the design philosophy of their hard mode.

Also, mp absorption is way stronger in rebirth due to having levels to it, and adding a magic efficiency to round out 3 materias means everyone in the active party can be extremely mp efficient or just will never run out of mp when casting ga spells. Enemies mostly only got stronger offensively but their durability feels very similar to dynamic, or at least not sufficiently different that 9999 is not enough damage in most situations. I don't think lack of Choco bench in dungeons will make too much of a difference because of the above, but will still have to run one to actually see how it is in practice.

There was also a surprise with the final boss of chapter 12. Rufus' reflex shot is actually faster in hard mode, and not just by a little bit. I feel like it's legitimately hard to react to reliably, which makes Desperation quite a bit stronger. I wonder if this is an one-off instance or if anything else would be adjusted this way in hard mode.

FrozenIn

Feb 26, 2024

It seems to be an agressive surround sound implementation (just my take, I have no idea how these things work). I figured its due to me using a soundbar.
When it happens I face the person conversing with and then it works fine.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to be an agressive surround sound implementation (just my take, I have no idea how these things work). I figured its due to me using a soundbar.
It happens during fixed camera cutscenes too. I tested it with headphones too and still the same mixing problem.

Its the dynamic volume control not working correctly. The music is supposed to lower itself during dialogue for normal implementations but it does the opposite here.

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Its a cutscene/cinematics issue. In-game is alright.

Although now that Im on the subject, entering a town and having 5 people chatter complete sentences is starting to be very annoying. Feels like we might need to go back to the old school way of talking to each npc separately

FrozenIn

Feb 26, 2024
Although now that Im on the subject, entering a town and having 5 people chatter complete sentences is starting to be very annoying. Feels like we might need to go back to the old school way of talking to each npc separately

If they do so I hope they make it optional, since I do prefer this system. It could be because I have walked up to so many blank eyed NPCs that I don't want to do it anymore.
The first time does hit you, though, so maybe they can refine it where only a few pop up at one time.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I like the ambient conversations. I hope that one girl asking out that other girl are a couple in Part 3.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
welp after buying it on launch finally got to chapter 3, i guess all the overworld stuff is wash rinse repeat with the chadster huh? not sure how much open world really adds but was fun to get through chapter 2 at least

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
130hrs in, chapter 13 at the temple. How long do I have? Am I going to beat it this weekend?

6-8 hours I would say.

welp after buying it on launch finally got to chapter 3, i guess all the overworld stuff is wash rinse repeat with the chadster huh? not sure how much open world really adds but was fun to get through chapter 2 at least

I would say just do as much open world stuff as you enjoy doing at the moment and don't feel forced to do it as soon as you get to a new area. I personally enjoyed doing all of it but quite a few seemed to feel a bit burned out later on after doing everything immediately.

Besides the open world stuff, almost all side quests and the protorelic quest line are very enjoyable IMO.

Last edited:

oty

Feb 28, 2023
just dont do overdo it, imo. by the end of the game you should probably still have some fun with it as long as you dont clear every single thing that pops up

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Not too far into hard mode ch.13 yet but since MP is not an issue hard mode has been smooth sailing. From Ch.12 (and all side quests) to first boss of Ch.13 the only thing that wasn't clean was Elina and Rude as the AI can get caught in a volley with an unblockable and can get stun locked to death easily. Outside of that a single -ga spell even when magnified do more than enough damage to thin out enemy groups and elites and bosses still live and die by how accessible pressure state is. Even UPA challenge pretty much plays out the same way, taking only 15 seconds longer overall mostly due to party loadout changes.

Ch.13 first boss Red Dragon was kind of interesting since it looks like breaking its chest triggers a heal-off instead of being a damage opportunity, but it doesn't have enough HP and its pressure state is fairly generous so it just kind of hangs itself between pillar pressure and wing break pressure. Even got an lucky no damage out of it since you only need to dodge a couple of things, and it's also been unlikely that more than 1 synergy ability is needed even in boss fights. So far player side power creep is winning out handily.

Enchullibung

Aug 5, 2022
Easily the hardest VR challenge. Once you beat it, you'll have a field day with the next one.

I MADE IT! After 4 days, finally! I guess the trick was to come complain on ERA 😅

And you are right indeed, the next one "To Be a Hero" was a breeze, I destroyed Odin at the first try!

Now only finishing Story on Hard Mode for the Plat!

speiky

"This guy are sick" says the Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I MADE IT! After 4 days, finally! I guess the trick was to come complain on ERA 😅

And you are right indeed, the next one "To Be a Hero" was a breeze, I destroyed Odin at the first try!

Now only finishing Story on Hard Mode for the Plat!
Ah the good old ERA vent worked for you I see. Funny enough, I also needed one attempt to clear "To be a hero". Dude is just too good haha. Wish FF7 Remake/Rebirth/Rewhatever implemented a practice VR mode akin to what FF16 has in the Arete Stone.

Reached out to PlayStation chat support. Inquired whether there are any plans to reward REBIRTH platinum users with any avatars (like they did with REMAKE). No such plans at this time. :( And if it changes, it'll be announced on their blog.