ket

Jul 27, 2018
I uh, don't think FFXII was that game.

Fran_Final_Fantasy.png
Ashe and Penelo's designs were also bad lol

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Kinda wonder where the fan reception will land when all said and done. FFXII was s critical darling among professional reviewers but even to this day that is divisive as hell.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
*sees the boobs pic*

*reminisces about the last time it was possible to play a FF game with other people watching without dying of shame*

Ahh FFXII, you were too good for this world.

This isn't even remotely as embarrassing as Tifa's FMV clips in the original.

They've done right with the character. They showcase her sex appeal, but not nearly to the degree so many fan-artists, SFM creators and so on have flanderized her with.

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023
Kinda wonder where the fan reception will land when all said and done. FFXII was s critical darling among professional reviewers but even to this day that is divisive as hell.
Which is stunning to me, because Zodiac Age turned me from someone who despised the very concept of XII into a "this is one of the best jRPGs period" believer.

Feb 15, 2019
Metacritic scores usually drop some points in a week or two, so I'm expecting a 90 to 92 by the end. 90+ is great to hear!

A lot of reviews are already in. They're at 117 already. The original remake had 135 and even incredibly popular stuff like God Of War Ragnarok had 150 reviews.

I don't really expect a huge drop in score when realistically we've had the vast majority of the review scores already unless all the new ones are like an 8 or below.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Damn you must hate going to the beach with others huh. Also Fran... lol.

Yes, exactly, it's the fact that a woman has boobs that annoys me. Not the tone, intention, tasteless hyper male-gazeness and infantilization of said woman (which is nothing new for the Tifa archetype but come on).

Tifa is less of a character in FF7R than the OG because of crap like this.

Edit. and yes, Tifa was already "problematic" in the OG, but at least it was confined to the FMV.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Question for anyone who played the full game: In the IGN review, they show a monster called Gigatrice. Is that a main story boss?

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Which is stunning to me, because Zodiac Age turned me from someone who despised the very concept of XII into a "this is one of the best jRPGs period" believer.
FF fans ate flicke lot lol

Good to see Toriyama delivering
Rather interesting coincidence that XVI and Rebirth have had the most explicit queer reps series despite the games being developed in parallel. Bides well for XVII keeping as thing with accepted it has been at SE.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Male gaze is bad, yes.

It's a love story in which the characters are romantically interested in each other.

Yes, obviously, there's an emphasis on player fanservice, but it's not like there's any other way to frame "Male character looks at female character's sexy attire, is attracted."

There were two other stereotypical ways they could have done this that would've been far worse:

-Camera zooms way close to the cleavage, making "Boooing!" noise while Cloud has steam shoot out his ears

-Cloud is completely stone-faced, oblivious/uninterested whatsoever

Having him shyly and respectfully turn away does a lot more to characterize Cloud make the scene feel a bit more meaningful than the above alternatives.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
What has puzzled me most about the marketing is that you can get Remake for free with a preorder. This should be up front everywhere to help boost sales.
It does feel like marketing has been off for a lot of games lately. I wonder if it's just becoming too expensive and they're hoping fans pick up the slack now.

Me begging Square to pls focus on porting Rebirth and not XVI to PC first 😭
The monkey's paw will curl and it'll be an Epic store exclusive for a year while a fully optimized XVI releases afterwards on all the PC storefronts.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Did folks play Remake? They sexualize the f*** out of Cloud. And in that scene above he's literally shirtless with S+ 8-pack abs, lol.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Congrats to nomura and the team! Now he can finally move on and finish what we're all really waiting for. KH4!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone looks very good in their Costa del Sol attire, shame some people can't enjoy it

The worst time Tifa was ever sexualised was in her original game. That FMV with her melons flopping about did far more damage than the Italy video.

And it wasn't just that, there's also moments like the slapfight, Cloud pocketing her underwear….there's even dev interviews and in-game code where they express their raunchiness.

And they had EVEN WORSE stuff that was cut out.

I won't claim it's been a perfect representation ever since, but they've made significant strides in depicting the character more seriously while still taking stock of her gorgeous attributes. They could have pandered a whole lot harder to the horny fanbase filling up the imageboard sites then they're doing.

Whenever you read how Tifa is the character that the artists and teams spend the most amount of time designing "to create a balance", it's proof enough they don't want her to be marketed as Tits First.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
It does feel like marketing has been off for a lot of games lately. I wonder if it's just becoming too expensive and they're hoping fans pick up the slack now.

The monkey's paw will curl and it'll be an Epic store exclusive for a year while a fully optimized XVI releases afterwards on all the PC storefronts.

Only that? Sounds like an amazing outcome to me, I'm not a graphics person and the only store I refuse to buy from is Microsoft's. Bring it on!!

Edit: also; re: marketing I feel like they are banking on word of mouth and great reviews for this one. Pretty sure it will work well for them.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018
FF fans ate flicke lot lol

Rather interesting coincidence that XVI and Rebirth have had the most explicit queer reps series despite the games being developed in parallel. Bides well for XVII keeping as thing with accepted it has been at SE.
Toriyama specifically talked about the desire to be more progressive, looking to games like Life is Strange. All the FF games with women protagonists (FFX, FFXIII Trilogy) were all directed by him too. He's definitely the one leading the charge
www.thepinknews.com

Updated, vibrant queer scene in FFVII Remake praised for busting gender stereotypes

Final Fantasy VII Remake co-director Motomu Toriyama discusses the celebrated queer Honeybee Inn dance scene in a new Square Enix interview.

In regards to FF16. While Yoshi-P showed his ass with how he tried to defend the idea of why Black people can't exist in Valisthea. He has been a supporter of queerness in his games, whether it is an ongoing process of termovinduer genderlocks from gender based outfits in FFXIV or having major character like Dion in FF16 be gay. I think Square is lucky to have people in its corner who want to be progressive and want to push for modernity more than most of their contemporaries. It is pretty cool!
www.resetera.com

Yoshi-P Director and Producer of Final Fantasy XIV says "trans rights"

Source Its a wonderful thing to see Japanese developers speak up about things especially from a game developer that's done a miracle in reviving FF14. As a member of the LGBT community i am so happy for this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Toriyama specifically talked about the desire to be more progressive, looking to games like Life is Strange. All the FF games with women protagonists (FFX, FFXIII Trilogy) were all directed by him too. He's definitely the one leading the charge
www.thepinknews.com

Updated, vibrant queer scene in FFVII Remake praised for busting gender stereotypes

Final Fantasy VII Remake co-director Motomu Toriyama discusses the celebrated queer Honeybee Inn dance scene in a new Square Enix interview.

In regards to FF16. While Yoshi-P showed his ass with how he tried to defend the idea of why Black people can't exist in Valisthea. He has been a supporter of queerness in his games, whether it is an ongoing process of termovinduer genderlocks from gender based outfits in FFXIV or having major character like Dion in FF16 be gay. I think Square is lucky to have people in its corner who want to be progressive and want to push for modernity more than most of their contemporaries. It is pretty cool!
www.resetera.com

Yoshi-P Director and Producer of Final Fantasy XIV says "trans rights"

Source Its a wonderful thing to see Japanese developers speak up about things especially from a game developer that's done a miracle in reviving FF14. As a member of the LGBT community i am so happy for this.

Dion was also the best character in FFXVI and frankly should've been the main character. Do a spinoff about him.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me right now?

I'm finishing up XVI and I still need to finish VII Remake and now this universally acclaimed game is about to come out?

This does not help my FOMO problem.

It also doesn't help that the demo I played was sooooooo good.

I'm gonna spend an entire day just playing the piano alone.

God help me if we get a FFX remake of this caliber. 🤤

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the reviews far exceeded my expectations. Hype level couldn't be any higher.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Dissidia 012 was pretty bad. Like all the characters had introduction lines depending on what characters they faced a good chunk of them with Tifa was her telling people to not stare at her tits pretty much.
I looked it up, and that doesn't appear to be the case.

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy battle dialogue

The following is a list of battle dialogue spoken by characters in Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy. For battle dialogue in the original game, see Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP) battle dialogue. Try withstanding my blade! Prepare yourself! Prepare to duel! I must proceed. I cannot fail. With all my...

The only one that tracks is her dialogue to Zidane (which makes sense, since... well... it's Zidane.)

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Did your version of XII not have bunny women walking around in lingerie?

Yes, it did have a female character with a bad design. However, despite that I recall her being a character that wasnt infantilised with the camera panning into her breasts at the slightest opportunity.

Fran was closer to Lulu than Tifa. Not perfect by any means but waaaay better than this.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I looked it up, and that doesn't appear to be the case.

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy battle dialogue

The following is a list of battle dialogue spoken by characters in Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy. For battle dialogue in the original game, see Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP) battle dialogue. Try withstanding my blade! Prepare yourself! Prepare to duel! I must proceed. I cannot fail. With all my...

The only one that tracks is her dialogue to Zidane.

Hmm I'll have to concede then. For some reason I remembered it being more.