• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshinori Kitase (Producer):

For the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, developers who worked on the original game have come onboard once again as core members, including myself as Producer, Tetsuya Nomura as Director, Motomu Toriyama as Co-Director, and Kazushige Nojima on Story & Scenario.

Additionally, we also have people like Co-Director Naoki Hamaguchi who are now part of the core development team, who was just a fan of FINAL FANTASY VII back then. And, to my delight, creators from younger generations all over the world have come forth upon hearing news of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE's production. While ensuring that the spirit of the original game is kept intact, these members are adding to it the power of a new generation.

As a result, the game that is about to be born surpasses even my own expectations as the one who voiced the desire to take this endeavour on in the first place. In fact, the one who's looking forward to playing this game the most right now might actually be me.

Tetsuya Nomura (Director and Concept Design):

With regard to new characters, of whom I said during past interviews that there would be "none" – though they aren't main characters, their numbers ended up growing considerably in the process of creating a rich depiction of Midgar. When you think of Midgar's final boss, you probably think of the M.O.T.O.R., but in this game new bosses will appear and add to the excitement of the story even more.

We've already begun working on the next one as well, but I'm confident that playing through this title will expand your expectations just like the world that extends beyond Midgar.

Kazushige Nojima (Story and Scenario):

In FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, there will be much less room for player imagination. This fact will probably change the feel of the story considerably. People who know the original might not know quite how to take it. Such is the fear that I have. But I also have conviction. It should be possible to feel a much deeper connection to Cloud as you join alongside him. It would be amazing if you could feel that fiery flame together with him.

Naoki Hamaguchi (Game Design / Programming):

With all this in mind, I've considered the following phrase important: "respect for the original." FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE takes on the challenge of creating something that's created specifically thanks to the technological power and entertainment quality that matches the current generation, while treating the captivating elements of the original game with respect.

Motomu Toriyama (Co-Director):

We took care to remake not only the main characters, but also characters like Johnny and the Shinra Middle Manager who I created back then. Please keep your eye out to see how they make their new appearances. Additionally, when remaking the Honey-Bee Inn at the Wall Market, we revived it is as a pantheon of entertainment, which couldn't be realized back then. Here, the scene that many of you have been eager to see, where Cloud disguises himself. Please enjoy.

Shintaro Takai (Graphics and VFX Director):

Among the many major games that are celebrated for their photorealistic graphics, FINAL FANTASY VII is a little different. Not only is it realistic, but I believe you'll notice that it incorporates "playfulness" in the design and colours for an originality not found in other games. Effects are an area that is particularly conducive to expressing various elements of "playfulness."

Teruki Endo (Battle Director):

In order to create battles that are surprising and never boring, we worked hard to create a variety of strategic elements for each boss and enemy. Also, in constructing battle systems for each character, we wanted to respect the image of the original version while additionally introducing many new abilities. I hope you're able to find your own style of battle by combining those abilities with Materia.

Takako Miyake (Environment Director):

Additionally, in order to create a fitting backdrop for the drama unfolding around the main characters, and in order for it to be a stage where the various characters living in Midgar can be their vibrant selves, all of teams, including the environments section, came up with ideas and worked collaboratively. Midgar is a closed city. However, I would be very happy if by experiencing the drama unfolding around its residents and the main characters who go through it, you feel as though Midgar actually exists.

Iichiro Yamaguchi (Lighting Director):

In the world of the game, just like in real life, if there is not some form of light then you won't be able to see anything. So when putting up lights just anywhere, Midgar could lose its token Midgar-ness, and Cloud wouldn't be Cloud anymore. I've taken as much care as possible to recreate the world that I had saved in my mind and attempted to remake it to a fresh and modern standard.

Masaaki Kazeno (Character Modeling Director):

I've ensured to arrange things like hairstyles and outfits to re-create the design from the original, so I encourage anyone to take time with their camera angles when playing to take a look. Also, there are several characters that stand out other than just the main characters that you'll find. So please see for yourself as to what kind of appearance and characteristics they have! Other than that, we've got enemies in there perhaps too close to the original, and there are many surprises coming in the Remake for you to all look forward to! Keep your eyes out!

Yoshiyuki Soma (Animation Director):

For the animations; each and every member of the team – from those responsible for battles, fields, simple events, cut scenes, mini-games, facial expressions, to swinging things in the background, actual behaviour settings - have all worked together to improve as one.

More at the link:

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're already working on the next project and Nomura basically confirmed that M.O.T.O.R won't be the final boss of the first game.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Toriyama as co-director huh. I wonder how people will react to that.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Ctrl+F:
Reason
why we split
had to split
How many FFVIIr games
Final Fantasy VII Remake part 1
Milk

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing it's gonna be a new iteration of Sephiroth or that new Soldier guy we saw in the last trailer.

Really looking forward to this !

Yeah, this is great for us who beat the original game since it means we will have a not so predictable final sequence.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of obvious that the next part is well under way. Part 1 would be gold before the end of December. You don't need the whole team bug blasting.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Toriyama... co-director?

uPX3xQV.jpg

Better reel his ass in, Kitase/Nomura.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I have faith this game is gonna be fantastic. And I was highly skeptical until E3 this year.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toriyama... co-director?

uPX3xQV.jpg

Better reel his ass in, Kitase/Nomura.
I'd say Nomura is the bigger issue considering how his last product was recieved and he wasnt able to finish a game before that and handed that mess to someone else.
Hope to god none of the shit characteristics from Advent Children and KH2 plague the ff7 cast.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Not many results yet? Good.

But don't worry. The gnashing of teeth and crying will be on FULL display as we get closer to release.
Oh I can't wait, I'll have popcorn haha. I do hope it's good and worth the splitting, but I'm prepared to wait until the full thing is out and in a good package for PC. If I find it worth playing. I wanted to play FFXV at first, but I determined it wasn't my cup of tea, and I nearly pushed the buy button within a month of it's launch with the crazy deals that was out there for it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Sounds like the final boss could be that new Soldier character. Least that's what I gathered

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
With regard to new characters, of whom I said during past interviews that there would be "none" – though they aren't main characters, their numbers ended up growing considerably in the process of creating a rich depiction of Midgar. When you think of Midgar's final boss, you probably think of the M.O.T.O.R., but in this game new bosses will appear and add to the excitement of the story even more.
As expected, everything beyond surface level interpretations is going to be Nomura fanfics.

I'll still be getting part 1 to dictate whether I'll be looking at future parts, but again I'm just annoyed that all the things that make FF7 great and all the greatest moments of the game won't even be in this part and all we get is another year of Midgar circle jerking with a bunch of padding and stupid added plotlines.

Glad we got a new Soldier who can do skateboard tricks on motorcycles though, I needed more Advent Children in my FF7, said no one.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish every "milked" project had as much of the apparent quality, production values, and effort being put into it this one.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Searching the battle director Teruki Endo, it seems like he has been working in Capcom before, in games like RE5 and MH games including MHW?

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Hearing that Nomura needed them to cut down the amount of content in this part is heartening. Obviously we'll have to wait and see how true it actually is and how the content comes out, but it sounds like they're legitimately doing this with care.

feelthesurge

Nov 15, 2017
I see a lot of mixed feelings about Toriyama being on the team. Is he known to slow down development a lot or something? I don't know much about him when it comes to video games.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I hope this game isn't more them 15~20h long

Also isn't Toriyama the guy who was clearly in love with Lightning?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of mixed feelings about Toriyama being on the team. Is he known to slow down development a lot or something? I don't know much about him when it comes to video games.

He was the one behind the FFXIII games and a lot of direct sequels to mainline FFs. Many of these are not warmly regarded.

Oct 30, 2017
Everything is exactly what I want it to be..... they are seriously making my biggest dream ever comes alive in the finest way :-)

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
He directed the FFXIII series, which people never really took kindly too.

Not just directed, but co-wrote.

Look, when Toriyama has some seemingly more hands-on guidance, he does good work (FFVII and FFX). When given more power we get stuff like X-2 (I know it has a vocal fan-following), the 3rd Birthday, and the XIII Trilogy.
The prior is obviously preferable.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was about to say Toriyama worked on good FF games before. Just not as a director. As long as he isn't that, the guy does a good job probably.

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
Opportunities for discussing our true intentions are few, but with regard to the size of the game that many are asking about – there's no reason at all to worry. Even in this Midgar portion alone, the density and volume are so great that I had to give directions to lighten them.
source.gif

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar is gonna be great. Maximilian sums it up at this part of his reaction video for me. "Just turn it into Disneyland, I'll pay money."

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
toriyama was responsible for the wall market in the original and is now in the remake, lots of people love that part

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, part? The game cover, marketing and PR never mentioned the game would be split.
This is going to be a messy launch if they don't clarify that.

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, part? The game cover, marketing and PR never mentioned the game would be split.
From the pre-order page for the game:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is a reimagining of the iconic original with unforgettable characters, a mind-blowing story, and epic battles.
The story of this first, standalone game in the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE project covers up to the party's escape from Midgar, and goes deeper into the events occurring in Midgar than the original FINAL FANTASY VII.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I hope there are youtube reactions of casuals that don't keep up with news info finding out the game ends with a to be continued. I like those type of Jimmy Kimmel prank youtube videos. "Oh is this the new iphone??? Thanks Dad! .... wait. :("