SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing how I'm still discovering neat little gameplay tricks, references to the original game and so on, I thought there would be enough to justify a separate thread.

As the thread title says, BE PREPARED FOR OPEN SPOILERS.

The thing that finally spurred this thread was the recent video by Austin Eruption, which revealed that you can rotate the camera on the main menu screen, seeing the Buster Sword in different angles.

Other neat things off the top of my head:

1. You can use the sprint button to climb/slide down ladders faster.

2. You can hold Triangle to skip cutscenes

3. You can hold L1 when using items/healing spells to quick select them multiple times.

4. You can push R1 while equipping Materia in the menu to display ALL the characters' Materia sets at once for easier swapping.

5. Aerith will reference the "Holy Hell" line from the original game during the fight with Reno:

twitter.com

Snugglesworth on Twitter

“They referenced "Holy Hell"! #PS4share https://t.co/fW6NqHhSca https://t.co/8r7JiSDtOE”

Post all the fun little things for this fantastic Remake.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
hf6zpkkbv703.jpg

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
"2. You can hold Triangle to skip cutscenes

3. You can hold L1 when using items/healing spells to quick select them multiple times.

4. You can push R1 while equipping Materia in the menu to display ALL the characters' Materia sets at once for easier swapping."

What. The. Hell. Does #2 also work for the unskippable quest dialog scenes too?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
You can hold square in certain fight cutscenes to open up the menu to change your materia and equipment before boss battles. Cloud has a special dodge against Reno in chapter 8 if you use normal dodge.

In chapter 14 you can free Kotch in Corneo's mansion after the sewer part and he will drop a materia. The tiaras from the original game are now referenced in the Don Corneo sidequest. you can see Shinra from X-2 in the museum in chapter 16 also

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Here's a few Easter Eggs I can recall:

One that I noticed back when the demo released, was an in-game poster advertising a camera, which had a picture of a cat, that is surely a clear reference to Cait Sith.

Most benches in the game have "POTION" written on them, some (towards the end game in particular) have ??? on them, a reference to the ? Save File icon in the original game.

Aerith's drawing on the wall at Shinra HQ, definitely had some Amano art of early FFs. I'm sure of it. The resemblance was uncanny.

2. You can hold Triangle to skip cutscenes

4. You can push R1 while equipping Materia in the menu to display ALL the characters' Materia sets at once for easier swapping.

I didn't discover 3 and 4 until after completing the story lol. Will be very useful during the Hard run.

2 is blowing my mind. I know you can pause to skip cutscenes, but I hope this triangle one will work with those short in-game cutscenes that aren't skippable with pause?

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
You can hold square in certain fight cutscenes to open up the menu to change your materia and equipment before boss battles. Cloud has a special dodge against Reno in chapter 8 if you use normal dodge.

In chapter 14 you can free Kotch in Corneo's mansion after the sewer part and he will drop a materia. The tiaras from the original game are now referenced in the Don Corneo sidequest. you can see Shinra from X-2 in the museum in chapter 16 also
See I wondered why I couldn't ever get a dodge like that again. Cloud like placed a hand on Reno's shoulder and flipped over him IIRC and I never had it happen again lol.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
PHS machines do exactly what the PHS menu item did in the original. Change characters.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Cloud's Punisher Mode is Sephiroth's Stance.

Cloud's Operator Mode is Zack's Stance.
Hot Damn! And here I thought I was clever for noticing that Zack's normal attack combo in Crisis Core is actually the same as Cloud's Cross-Slash, and yet I didn't realize this!

That is super duper clever, both gameplay wise and Story wise! I wonder if Cloud will get a revised moveset as a part of the story in later parts?

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Leslie is an existing character from the FFVII novel "The Kids are Alright".

At one point Barret tells him "You're alright, kid."

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
1. Inside 7th Heaven there are pictures of 7th Heaven from the original game.
2. Winning a battle in the Corneo Colosseum will make your character strike a victory pose similar to the original.
3. The final boss of the train graveyard Eligor was only a rare enemy in the original famously known for having a unique stealable weapon for Aerith which was extremely powerful at that point of the game. In the remake he becomes the first enemy that lets you steal a unique weapon for Aerith.
4. Most of Cloud's flashbacks in later part of the game are all taken from the movie Advent Children.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite ongoing "background storylines" involves a fad one of the Sector 7 NPCs refers to as "Slummin' It", in which topside people visit the bottom parts of Midgar to experience the slum life.

They are frequently found throughout the game, and you can often tell them apart from their nervous demeanor, lines about "having to go back to work topside" and, most commonly, their amazement over how much better the food tastes in the slums compared to up-top (probably because the upper-plate food is all processed).

It's real fun spotting all of them on a second playthrough once you know the tells.