• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macnair

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered already but is it only Cloud that's visible when exploring or we can see the other party members?

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered already but is it only Cloud that's visible when exploring or we can see the other party members?
Max Dood said that Barret follows you around but isn't attached to you per-se. Sometimes he kinda gets lost (or rather, does his own thing?) but he'll show up again periodically.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

o6thfsf.gif

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I never expected it (as it'd probably be a headache for the devs, especially in towns), but gotta say, I wish we could control Barret, Tifa... outside battles too, even if just in dungeons.

At least it seems like the character switching transition is fast and not awkward (XV's was a bit weird from what I saw, never went back to the game after I first beat it).

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I never expected it (as it'd probably be a headache for the devs, especially in towns), but gotta say, I wish we could control Barret, Tifa... outside battles too, even if just in dungeons.

At least it seems like the character switching transition is fast and not awkward (XV's was a bit weird from what I saw, never went back to the game after I first beat it).
Well, if things stay similar enough to the original game with regards to events there are at least 3 times you control different characters; Tifa, Cid and Yuffie all get separate moments of control. So there's those moments at least.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
They could say they were mass produced Decoy houses to use as bait during the Wutai War. Imagine a whole village of these being raided by a wutai party and suddenly transforming into these weird mecha things.

hope we see these in Shinra HQ

039.png
lol I'm convinced a LOT of VII enemies were outsourced by a company that received no other design feedback- and since they were animated and functional Sakaguchi/Kitase were just like "fuck it... put them in. We need more enemies anyway!"

I mean, tea-cup man, triceratops-tank, motorcycle skeleton dude, rollerblade guys... the list of just nonsensical enemies goes on and on.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Might have been due to all of your Red XIII slander mmmh????
FeistyMenacingDonkey-small.gif
you know, part of me was always annoyed that FFVII represented a downgrade from FFVI in terms of how many facial expressions characters can make (and basically replaced those expressive sprite animations with a lot of animated gestures) but stuff like this is still genuinely great and not possible in earlier FF games

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I've been playing the original with my kids, and that first moment when you step out into the fields after the confines of Midgar and the main theme swells....

I don't know how they're going to handle the map, but if they get this right for episode 2 with a super fine orchestrated theme, that'll be something.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've been playing the original with my kids, and that first moment when you step out into the fields after the confines of Midgar and the main theme swells...
That was the moment on my second playthrough where I considered FF7 my favorite game ever made and I've never changed my mind.

I guess it took the second playthrough, because my first time playing it was the shitty PC version and the lower quality music didn't hit me as hard as it did the second time on PS1.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've been playing the original with my kids, and that first moment when you step out into the fields after the confines of Midgar and the main theme swells....

I don't know how they're going to handle the map, but if they get this right for episode 2 with a super fine orchestrated theme, that'll be something.
My son has been picking up and playing my save every once in a while as I've been going through recently and the first time he did that after I left Midgar he was very surprised. He then got Zolom'd pretty quick.

I look forward to seeing him have fun flying around in the highwind.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
My bet: we'll hear the Main Theme (the overworld one) at the end of the game when we look outside Midgar.

With a rising sun and all, y'all.
you know, part of me was always annoyed that FFVII represented a downgrade from FFVI in terms of how many facial expressions characters can make (and basically replaced those expressive sprite animations with a lot of animated gestures) but stuff like this is still genuinely great and not possible in earlier FF games
I know what you mean and agree to a certain extent. But yeah, all the body expressions in VII make up for that lack.

Especially Cloud's, I hope they're able to adapt them in the Remake.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse

It would be great if they kinda did their own thing and just followed along after you got so far ahead of them. Like maybe the rest of the party wanders around and takes in the environment instead of just standing over your shoulder the whole time.

Max Dood said that Barret follows you around but isn't attached to you per-se. Sometimes he kinda gets lost (or rather, does his own thing?) but he'll show up again periodically.

Maybe somebody already had the same idea?

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My bet: we'll hear the Main Theme (the overworld one) at the end of the game when we look outside Midgar.

With a rising sun and all, y'all.

That's what I've been thinking too. Will probably play throughout the end credits in full. Would be nice if the credits roll was accompanied by footage of them travelling to Kalm or something. Then Part 2 could start right at the flashback.

Also, thanks for sharing the trailer analysis! Hope you enjoy it.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
That's what I've been thinking too. Will probably play throughout the end credits in full. Would be nice if the credits roll was accompanied by footage of them travelling to Kalm or something. Then Part 2 could start right at the flashback.

Also, thanks for sharing the trailer analysis! Hope you enjoy it.
Seeing the party travel while the credits roll would be great indeed. I wonder if they already have some "working" Kalm in their hands and whether they could show some of it in the ending. I was thinking something similar: long vistas, sudden cut to black and the credits start rolling with that theme.

In any case, they have ways to evoke the original's transition even if you're not going to be able to explore the world until a few years go by.

And thank you! Didn't know you guys were here too. I've particularly been enjoying the recent VII-R content a lot!
BRO

THIS IS WHAT I WANT WITH MY LIFE
I live for hour-long analysis of 3 minutes long trailers too :B

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I wonder if they will address the material/inventory carryover question between titles by save files or by simply making all that stuff an unmissable pickup.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I wonder if they will address the material/inventory carryover question between titles by save files or by simply making all that stuff an unmissable pickup.
While I'm not sure at all that they're gonna carry over levels and stuff like that (and potions and Gil are most certainly not going to carry over either), I'd be dissapointed if Materia and weapons/gear can't be transferred.

Like, if I get a really strong sword for Cloud in Remake 1, I want to have in 2 even if you have to nerf its stats or whatever.

I don't really expect much in terms of weapons, though. I can see Cloud having a number between 3-6 swords tbh, dunno why.
Now I'll just need this for the gameplay demo (once I'm done with this of course)
Yep. Especially as there seems to be a few systems yet unexplained (like the potential elemental combos -I think?- or the stances in other characters, which we can speculate on).

The animations alone make such an analysis worth it. There's quite a lot to unpack.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
An hour and a half long frame by frame E3 trailer analysis.

Could only watch the first 14 minutes (still on the Midgar pan-out lol) and there's cool stuff in there that you might have not noticed (like a Banora ad near the Loveless one, the huge gap between sectors, the potential place Cloud jumps on the train in Sector 8...).
14 minutes in and they are asking if we knew the plates had gaps between them already. smh I knew I should have been invited. Air Buster even takes place at a gap between plates!!

O2v6h5h.png

I like this reactor size shot though

bpPlDEA.png

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
14 minutes in and they are asking if we knew the plates had gaps between them already. smh I knew I should have been invited. Air Buster even takes place at a gap between plates!!

O2v6h5h.png
Lol. They seem to have made them considerably wider now.

How the hell can Cloud survive that fucking height tho. Maybe the "Squall is Dead" theory actually applies here in VII, mmm...

Also, love the difference in sectors, which I hadn't really noticed myself before. Sector 1 is very industrial-like looks like shit compared to 8, which actually seems to be a nice place to live in. And Sector 6 is, of course, under construction.

Visual Works really knocked it out the park here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one thing i noticed is that the architecture of the buildings seems very different from the reveal trailer of the remake

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
My son has been picking up and playing my save every once in a while as I've been going through recently and the first time he did that after I left Midgar he was very surprised. He then got Zolom'd pretty quick.

I look forward to seeing him have fun flying around in the highwind.

My son was so anxious about the Zolom he wouldn't even ride the chocobo across, made me do it X-)

Oct 27, 2017
More than 20 years later and that moving arrow still creates anxiety for me, I don't blame your son for handing it over to you lol

Ha ha, me too. But who do I get to hand the controller over to? Why do I have to be the adult?

One thing I've noticed in this replay is how many different ways FF 7 changes up the play experience, totally aside from detailed mini games. Avoiding giant snakes, dropping barrels on Turks, sneaking past grunts, searching for cross dressing accoutrements, joining a military parade, etc. etc. it never sinks into a bland village-dungeon-village-dungeon rhythm that plagues so many classic and classic-inspired rpgs. Actually, I still think VI was the real masterclass in keeping the pacing fresh and the player on their toes, but VII is way up there and I miss this kind of variety in my jrpgs.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Ha ha, me too. But who do I get to hand the controller over to? Why do I have to be the adult?

One thing I've noticed in this replay is how many different ways FF 7 changes up the play experience, totally aside from detailed mini games. Avoiding giant snakes, dropping barrels on Turks, sneaking past grunts, searching for cross dressing accoutrements, joining a military parade, etc. etc. it never sinks into a bland village-dungeon-village-dungeon rhythm that plagues so many classic and classic-inspired rpgs. Actually, I still think VI was the real masterclass in keeping the pacing fresh and the player on their toes, but VII is way up there and I miss this kind of variety in my jrpgs.

They had so many developers that a bunch of them didn't have anything to do, so each one made their own mini game lol

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Very true, most every town seemed to have some event/side quest that made it more memorable. Some of them were kind of dumb but still mostly enjoyable nonetheless.

Midgar - Wall Market, different floors of Shinra HQ, motorcycle escape, etc.
Chocobo Ranch - intro to Chocobos, Zolom sneak
Fort Condor - Fort Condor battles
Junon - Dolphin jumping, Shinra parade, grabbing a key with your legs
Mt. Corel - random roller coaster diving
Gold Saucer - Gold Saucer
Wutai - catching Yuffie
Bone Village - digging
Icicle Inn - Snowboarding
Crater - Climbing/maintaining body temp

So many more places and random things to do. Ah, it's just so good.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland

O2v6h5h.png

Hey! I'm one of the "they" :P. Some of my questions were rhetorical - it's educational!

Also smh I made one big boo boo later in the video when we're discussing Tifa, I somehow didn't realise she says "Marlene" in English.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! I'm one of the "they" :P. Some of my questions were rhetorical - it's educational!

Also smh I made one big boo boo later in the video when we're discussing Tifa, I somehow didn't realise she says "Marlene" in English.
I was willing to let that one slide at how mindblown I was that Tifa is clearly visible in a bunch of gameplay scenes before the actual moment of her reveal in the trailer.

I've watched the trailer countless times in the last few weeks and never noticed, though not at any slower than normal speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.