• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The only way I'd wanna see a VII-2 is if it ignored the Compilation entirely and had a competent writer. I don't want shallow fanservice like AC, preposterous nonsense like Deepground from DC or the Gackt clone army from CC. =I

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
The Compilation kinda put a damper on me wanting anything FFVII-2- i mean to an extent that's what a lot of it was, and it was bad. That's the whole reason I had some trepidation about this remake to begin with. It had nothing to do with the battle system, but everything to do with Nojima being a horrible writer nowadays and Nomura not being much of a storyteller either, nearly every depiction or story with the FFVII characters since the original game has been bad and it all goes back to those two. To me they have to prove that they can still write these characters in a compelling way for me to want anything more with them.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
All those past pictures of Sephiroth before he goes evil looks so silly to me. Like you can't take them seriously at all. How did people in this universe NOT KNOW that THAT dude was gonna become a supervillain??

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The only way I'd wanna see a VII-2 is if it ignored the Compilation entirely and had a competent writer. I don't want shallow fanservice like AC, preposterous nonsense like Deepground from DC or the Gackt clone army from CC. =I
AC's writer was the same writer as the original game and this remake.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I just went to listen to the FFVII world map theme and this one autoplayed after.

Hadn't played FF9 but this had me sittin at my comp letting it finish before getting up to do what I had to do smh (Well I listened for like 10 mins)

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All those past pictures of Sephiroth before he goes evil looks so silly to me. Like you can't take them seriously at all. How did people in this universe NOT KNOW that THAT dude was gonna become a supervillain??
He has pretty hair and a nice smile.
AC's writer was the same writer as the original game and this remake.
His is more the capacity of a scenario writer, though. The original FF7's story concept itself mostly came from Sakaguchi and Kitase (Advent Children's was Nomura's).

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Masato Kato and Motomu Toriyama also contributed to parts of the script but the only thing I remember specifically is Toriyama being responsible for the Honey Bee Inn stuff.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Masato Kato and Motomu Toriyama also contributed to parts of the script but the only thing I remember specifically is Toriyama being responsible for the Honey Bee Inn stuff.
I remember reading that Toriyama suggested a scene where Jessie, Biggs and Wedge get jealous of Tifa and Barret's ability to "merge" with Cloud and try it themselves to no avail.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I am kinda assuming Toriyama is involved in some capacity with this remake so I wonder if he will work on the honey bee part again lol

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has pretty hair and a nice smile.

His is more the capacity of a scenario writer, though. The original FF7's story concept itself mostly came from Sakaguchi and Kitase (Advent Children's was Nomura's).
r65lsXJ.png

nomura also created the story

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something I really worry about if the 2 parter rumor ends up true: I can't possibly believe they would have all playable characters ready to go, so perhaps they'll re-arrange the story so that some characters don't show up until part 2.

So if part 1 ends with Aerith's death, that means the characters in part 2 would never meet her. That would be extremely disappointing if that was the case: one of my headcanons is that Aerith's death played a major role in Yuffie growing closer to the other characters (supplementary material says that even after restoring her village to glory with Materia, she would still constantly visit her friends).

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, the main plot thrust of "Cloud chasing after Sephiroth" was Nomura's idea. I was more talking about the world concept and story theme.
its not quite clear
Nomura: For FF7 I worked on character design, storyboarding, and the underlying story.(Since Sakaguchi says above that Kitase did the story, Nomura probably means here that he did the underlying setting/background/story, what might be called the larger "world" of the game. Kitase probably did the immediate story between the characters.) I have too many favorite parts to sum up quickly here… well, I like it all.
http://shmuplations.com/ff7/

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Something I really worry about if the 2 parter rumor ends up true: I can't possibly believe they would have all playable characters ready to go, so perhaps they'll re-arrange the story so that some characters don't show up until part 2.

So if part 1 ends with Aerith's death, that means the characters in part 2 would never meet her. That would be extremely disappointing if that was the case: one of my headcanons is that Aerith's death played a major role in Yuffie growing closer to the other characters (supplementary material says that even after restoring her village to glory with Materia, she would still constantly visit her friends).
This is partly why I am really hoping that rumor is not true. That would make the first part contain most of the locations and all of the characters. It feels really inefficient to divide it at that point unless they rearrange things a lot.

Thank you for the link!

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Hoping the rumor that there will be a public demo next month is true so I can at least try it before deciding on whether or not I should give this a chance.

By the way, as a new member I want to make a thread but an unable to. Can someone pm me and I'll send you the content and you can make it in my stead? Thank you. It's about what any recent jrpgs I should maybe play and I'd like suggestions. Thank you.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the rumor that there will be a public demo next month is true so I can at least try it before deciding on whether or not I should give this a chance.

By the way, as a new member I want to make a thread but an unable to. Can someone pm me and I'll send you the content and you can make it in my stead? Thank you. It's about what any recent jrpgs I should maybe play and I'd like suggestions. Thank you.
ps4? dragon quest 11, nier automata, persona 5, valkyria chronicles 4

signal

Oct 28, 2017
When I first played this game. This was the most beautiful image and graphic I've played on a video game. Looking at this made me feel sad and nostalgic. FF VII man, the feels. The emotions
S2gbt41.gif

2q0tIl1.gif

;_;

I've come to like this one more recently because when I was young I never noticed you could see the slums far down below

414RnHX.png

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, looking at that last image... how in the hell did Cloud survive that fall?! Flowerbed OP.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I never really appreciated FF7's pre-rendered backgrounds as much as FFVIII or IX...

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's also cool that those walkways connecting two different sectors (you can see 5th on the left and barely 4th on the right) are the only(?) places you can see the slums from the above plate, since the rest appears to be closed off.

poqkXFw.png

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, looking at that last image... how in the hell did Cloud survive that fall?! Flowerbed OP.

Remember Cloud somehow ends from the top of ShinRa tower to the same spot in AC lol

But thats clearly OP Aerith using her power from the grave like when she cured the Geostigma

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What kind of JRPG are you in the mood for? My 2018 GOTY is called Dragon Quest XI. Game sides on traditional but it doesn't an excellent job at everything it sets out to do and still managed to pleasantly surprise me in more than one occasion. May i recommend that?

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
And this is why FFVII the greatest game ever made.... hearing the world map made me tears up.....
Same. Right around 11mins in, that shit hit me hard.

Tell me about it. Even earlier, when the Cosmo Canyon theme kicks in around the 6-minute mark and the whole build-up to it. Goddamn, that's good.

I am Nanaki, son of Seto... Warrior and protector of Cosmo Canyon

I hope they do that whole part of the game justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.