• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Barret's proportions are insane
True to the orginal design :)

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The demo (as reported at E3) doesn't seem to have stances and instead shows the action "guard" in the lower left menu btw.

I can't remember if the secret demo had them, so maybe it's just that you get them later on in the game (now, I'm almost sure that stances were there in the longer demo, so I think this is just for demo purposes).

Also, when your playable character is low in health, there's a flicking red filter in the screen until you heal.
No new trailer just the demo at GC?
Nope (only the old E3 trailer in German).

It's all but official that we're getting new stuff at TGS, however. Starts on September 12th I believe, so three more weeks.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are probably saving new stuff for TGS and PGW.

There's also Jump Festa and TGA.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Tomorrow's Gamescom's public day btw, so we should be getting non-professional impressions then.

And maybe more cheeky recorded footage lol.

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
where are the demo impressions from people that played it at Gamescom?
Gamescom opens tomorrow for the public. I'm sure we'll be getting lots of impressions and maybe even more footage then. But I also feel like I know everything from the demo already. I just wanna play it myself now.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The animations in this game look good. I'm mostly worried about the running _speed_. What we have seems like it probably works for narrow city streets, hallways & such that have points of interest, interactions with NPCs & combat on the regular but seems like it would be a bit slow for more open environments.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I think they would attatch a VIIR demo to something full priced if they're gonna do that.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they would attatch a VIIR demo to something full priced if they're gonna do that.

I dont think Square has anything out between now and then.

I forget how close Avengers is to FF7 but, 1 CLEARLY a IP as big as Avengers wouldnt need the boost, and 2, Avengers is totally going to get delayed.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I dont think Square has anything out between now and then.

I forget how close Avengers is to FF7 but, 1 CLEARLY a IP as big as Avengers wouldnt need the boost, and 2, Avengers is totally going to get delayed.
If KH3 is getting DLC, couldn't they release a complete/goty edition by the end of the year and ship the FF7R demo with it?

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018

Noctis' jog animation is truly a marvel. But his fast sprint/run animation always felt a little wierd to me.

That said, I think Cloud's jog and run looks good. It's a little cartoony which I think is the look they are going for.

Yeah, compared with Cloud's jogging you can see that there's a weight and physicality to it. It's easier to tell from a lower angle. Cloud in comparison just slides in constant speed. I guess KH is sorta like that, but this is a much more realistic looking game.

1*7DjgXJIWccDinmiPIeUzuA.gif

Noctis' dumb running animation was a weird quirk of his that was probably overexaggerated by the dev team. He's not the most athletic dude and has a weird gait. Maybe the devs could have been more subtle about it though.

The battle animations look fantastic, but I want it to look natural when I'm exploring too.

qYjneAN.gif

Think there's some room for improvement, but I think it's probably at that stage where they're OK with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, compared with Cloud's jogging you can see that there's a weight and physicality to it. It's easier to tell from a lower angle. Cloud in comparison just slides in constant speed. I guess KH is sorta like that, but this is a much more realistic looking game.

1*7DjgXJIWccDinmiPIeUzuA.gif

Noctis' dumb running animation was a weird quirk of his that was probably overexaggerated by the dev team. He's not the most athletic dude and has a weird gait. Maybe the devs could have been more subtle about it though.

The battle animations look fantastic, but I want it to look natural when I'm exploring too.

The animations and animation linking in Final Fantasy XV are easily among the top of the generation. Right up there with Naughty Dog in my opinion.

I'm fine with how they look in the VII Remake, but a part of me wishes they could improve them to at least reach the level of XV.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The animations and animation linking in Final Fantasy XV are easily among the top of the generation. Right up there with Naughty Dog in my opinion.

I'm fine with how they look in the VII Remake, but a part of me wishes they could improve them to at least reach the level of XV.
I'm not sure what you mean though. Go find gifs of ff7:r gameplay and you'll see how well-crafted the animations are. Again, they are a tad exaggerated and a tad-cartoony but they are superb. Facial animations are clearly better than FFXV, and that's saying a lot for me because I found all aspects of FFXV animation to be beautiful to look at.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I like the animations in FF7R so far, especially in combat. Everything in combat looks perfect. The running animation might looks a bit stiff but I like that as long as it feels good to control.
I personally dislike stuff like Uncharted movement (which is considered the best in the industry) because of how it feels to move. So that will be the most important thing for me. MGSV animation might look a little bit stiff compared to Uncharted 4 but the way it controls is perfect and I felt that game got the perfect balance. So if FF7R is anything like MGSV movement, I will be very happy.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean though. Go find gifs of ff7:r gameplay and you'll see how well-crafted the animations are. Again, they are a tad exaggerated and a tad-cartoony but they are superb. Facial animations are clearly better than FFXV, and that's saying a lot for me because I found all aspects of FFXV animation to be beautiful to look at.

When it comes to facial animations I think we cannot judge until we see more cutscenes. I haven't seen anything in the VII Remake trailers that can even approach the final cutscene of XV, with Noctis' speech.

But I'm mostly referring to attack animations and the running animations. They seem to carry more weight in XV.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So far all the voicework I heard from the trailers sounded great.

But I am also happy that they are keeping the same VAs for the Japanese version. Different Japanese VAs for Cloud, Aerith, and Sepiroth would be unthinkable for me.

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Aerith voice actor look beautiful. I'm fine with 7R voice change direction, but look like some fan can't accept it
I like the animations in FF7R so far, especially in combat. Everything in combat looks perfect. The running animation might looks a bit stiff but I like that as long as it feels good to control.
I personally dislike stuff like Uncharted movement (which is considered the best in the industry) because of how it feels to move. So that will be the most important thing for me. MGSV animation might look a little bit stiff compared to Uncharted 4 but the way it controls is perfect and I felt that game got the perfect balance. So if FF7R is anything like MGSV movement, I will be very happy.
I'm glad 7R doesn't use FF15 atk animation.
I like the ways Cloud smash and crush enemy

Nov 23, 2017
Yes, the animations are more varied and nuanced in FF XV but from what I played at E3, I was fine with what we have. Those level of animations are not going to come close to making or breaking the quality of this game. The gameplay was good regardless.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the animations are more varied and nuanced in FF XV but from what I played at E3, I was fine with what we have. Those level of animations are not going to come close to making or breaking the quality of this game. The gameplay was good regardless.

The game looks to be more responsive because of the relative simple animations compared to ffxv?

Or am I wrong?

Nov 23, 2017
The game looks to be more responsive because of the relative simple animations compared to ffxv?

Or am I wrong?
Oh this game is definitely more responsive. That's part of why I'm fine with the level of animations we're getting. The core gameplay is excellent. Moving around feels fine. I just wish that i can zoom the camera out a bit more when I'm in close quarters.

Oct 25, 2017
The latest off-screen footage looks beautiful. It is currently my most awaited game, even surpassing Death Stranding.

I still can't believe we will be playing the Final Fantasy VII Remake is a few months (well, the first part but... Better than nothing).

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's TGS conference was announced this day last year, so hopefully they announce one for this year soon.
I expect a short version of the trailer during the conference, longer version release when the even starts like how Nomura usually does with his trailers.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's TGS conference was announced this day last year, so hopefully they announce one for this year soon.
I expect a short version of the trailer during the conference, longer version release when the even starts like how Nomura usually does with his trailers.
i think they if they will do something it will be state of play, so maybe they will announce closer to the event.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
i think they if they will do something it will be state of play, so maybe they will announce closer to the event.
it would be weird to do a state of play just for Japan and ignoring the West though, which is what TGS conference usually is since it focuses a lot of Japan-centric games.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it would be weird to do a state of play just for Japan and ignoring the West though, which is what TGS conference usually is since it focuses a lot of Japan-centric games.
but they did for e3, they skipped gamescom, idk i think the only sony conference we might get if its not PSX it will be only with PS5 reveal in february

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
but they did for e3, they skipped gamescom, idk i think the only sony conference we might get if its not PSX it will be only with PS5 reveal in february
They did skip E3 and I think Sony' usually don't have big presence in gamescom anyway.
I think they will still have big presence at TGS. Kojima already confirmed he will be showing Death Stranding stuff at TGS so I expect another live event for them. FF7R won't be necessarily bound to Sony's stuff anyway but I still feel Sony could do their annual conference this year.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I played this on the industry day at Gamescom between a few meetings, thoughts are below:

- Game was super fluid and allowed you to queue actions based on how many command points you had.
- Animations and cinematics were top notch stuff!
- Combat felt really responsive and there was little delay (unless queuing attacks)
- Switching characters was seamless and really well done
- The music was amazing and really got me into the battle, hyped to see what else they do with the ost.
- Generally I've not been a fan of FF's battle systems since they've gone real-time, but I enjoyed this waaaaaay more than I thought I would.

FYI I played the same demo shown off at E3, nothing new except weird German Cloud and Barret (none of which I understood)

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I played this on the industry day at Gamescom between a few meetings, thoughts are below:

- Game was super fluid and allowed you to queue actions based on how many command points you had.
- Animations and cinematics were top notch stuff!
- Combat felt really responsive and there was little delay (unless queuing attacks)
- Switching characters was seamless and really well done
- The music was amazing and really got me into the battle, hyped to see what else they do with the ost.
- Generally I've not been a fan of FF's battle systems since they've gone real-time, but I enjoyed this waaaaaay more than I thought I would.

FYI I played the same demo shown off at E3, nothing new except weird German Cloud and Barret (none of which I understood)
Thank you for the impression.. I really like that the combat is responsive.

It's great to see ever since the E3 showing and people playing the demo, a lot of the doubters/people who dislike action combat seems to like the combat now. I think SE did fantastic job with the combat to satisfy both parties (action/turn-based fans)

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did skip E3 and I think Sony' usually don't have big presence in gamescom anyway.
I think they will still have big presence at TGS. Kojima already confirmed he will be showing Death Stranding stuff at TGS so I expect another live event for them. FF7R won't be necessarily bound to Sony's stuff anyway but I still feel Sony could do their annual conference this year.
state of play was 1 week before e3

Status
Not open for further replies.