• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which line is better?

• "I miss it. The steel sky."

Votes: 615 81.8%
  • "This sky... I don't like it."

Votes: 137 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From this:

SPOILER_GHSL2NHbEAAPM5F.png

To this:

SPOILER_GHSJCcTbEAANIX1.png

just... why?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Nomura is cookin.
Not sure he should be but this seems like it's gonna be oddly relevant soon.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
1st one is a bit curt out of context, but overall preferred.

In a vacuum, the 2nd one is fine, but now knowing what we had, it sounds more juvenile.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Alright, so I just wrote out a mini-essay in the other thread about why I don't like this change lmao. I'll repost it here:

Let me go into detail on why I like the unpatched line more. Obviously, this is all subjective, but I like script analysis goddamit!

Aerith's line here is engaging in a bit of poetry. There is no "steel sky", there's a big fookin' metal plate above the slums of Midgar. But, for most of her life, that's what she's known.

When she says "I miss it... the steel sky," that line encapsulates so much about Aerith, the ending, and probably the player's reaction to the game itself. It brings back Aerith's own motif of discomfort with the open sky, but it also incorporates the fact that the game ends with the players leaving Midgar, so bringing the "steel" into the equation helps bookend the game. It begins in Midgar, and it ends with a reference to the steel of Midgar as the characters leave.

On a metatextual level, the player themself (probably an OG fan of VII) has spent this whole game in Midgar under the assumption that the game is just an expanded remake, but the defeat of the Whispers leaving open the possibility of change in the narrative moving foward mirrors Aerith's own trepidation. We were in Midgar, and we mostly knew what was going to happen there, but now we're leaving it, and we don't know what's ahead. It's a metaphor for something new, similar to how the phrase "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore" isn't necessarily referring to Kansas when we use it in everyday parlance.

So, while "I miss it... the steel sky," may not exactly sound "natural" in a normal conversational way, it's a "natural" line to end the game on, because it bookends the game well, gives us some insight into Aerith and brings up her own feelings toward the sky, and likely mirror's the players' own trepidatious feelings as to where this series is going.

I personally don't think "The Sky... I hate it," works as well in English as the original line in that regard. Admittedly, I don't know how it plays in Japanese, so I can't speak to its context there.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
wait what....

thats like actually worse
IT IS

"the steel sky" is a callback to a previous line that aerith says around the time she first meets Cloud. It's literally a term that the people from the slums use. Moreover, "I miss it, the steel sky" implies what the new line says directly. The new line is just more literal.

like, why? Why would you change this great line?

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
This is really funny because if it has some special meaning, not many are going to see it before playing Rebirth at this point, haha.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I just wrote out a mini-essay in the other thread about why I don't like this change lmao. I'll repost it here:

Let me go into detail on why I like the unpatched line more. Obviously, this is all subjective, but I like script analysis goddamit!

Aerith's line here is engaging in a bit of poetry. There is no "steel sky", there's a big fookin' metal plate above the slums of Midgar. But, for most of her life, that's what she's known.

When she says "I miss it... the steel sky," that line encapsulates so much about Aerith, the ending, and probably the player's reaction to the game itself. It brings back Aerith's own motif of discomfort with the open sky, but it also incorporates the fact that the game ends with the players leaving Midgar, so bringing the "steel" into the equation helps bookend the game. It begins in Midgar, and it ends with a reference to the steel of Midgar as the characters leave.

On a metatextual level, the player themself (probably an OG fan of VII) has spent this whole game in Midgar under the assumption that the game is just an expanded remake, but the defeat of the Whispers leaving open the possibility of change in the narrative moving foward mirrors Aerith's own trepidation. We were in Midgar, and we mostly knew what was going to happen there, but now we're leaving it, and we don't know what's ahead. It's a metaphor for something new, similar to how the phrase "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore" isn't necessarily referring to Kansas when we use it in everyday parlance.

So, while "I miss it... the steel sky," may not exactly sound "natural" in a normal conversational way, it's a "natural" line to end the game on, because it bookends the game well, gives us some insight into Aerith and brings up her own feelings toward the sky, and likely mirror's the players' own trepidatious feelings as to where this series is going.

I personally don't think "The Sky... I hate it," works as well in English as the original line in that regard. Admittedly, I don't know how it plays in Japanese, so I can't speak to its context there.
Well said.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I.... don't get the line either way 🥴 🍻

Here's a line from someone on Reddit about the sky line.
"According to the recently released Ultimania:
Aerith does not like the open sky, because it reminds her of those dear to her that she's lost, such as Zack and her mother, who are now "in the sky" since they're both dead. Jenova is also the "Calamity from the Skies" and was responsible for eradicating her people."

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The reason they changed it is to make it sound more like something Aerith says in Crisis Core, which is how the Japanese line was written.

It's still a dumb change because the steel sky line sounds exactly like what Aerith would say in Remake, but the revised line has no connection to anything we experience about the character in Remake.

Edit: the Reddit post quoted above me is the driving force behind why the change was retroactively made. But tbh, I don't think anything about the steel sky line messes with this intent and if anything the revised line just gets further away from the themes at the end of Remake. It was the PERFECT segue to the "unknown journey" the player was experiencing at the same time as Aerith.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Which one is the new one? Because in the original Japanese she says "Sora...kirai da" - I hate this sky.

Edit: I just saw your notes "From" "To". So they basically changed it to reflect what she actually says in the Japanese version. In my opinion it's great.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's adding context and consistency to the fact that the outside world is too much for her, given the fact she can feel the presence of everyone all at once.

they both basically mean the same thing, the reason she longs for the steel sky is being uncomfortable with the new sky.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like non-native English speakers didn't understand it, so it got changed.

But "steel sky" is a very creative phrase.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a line from someone on Reddit about the sky line.
"According to the recently released Ultimania:
Aerith does not like the open sky, because it reminds her of those dear to her that she's lost, such as Zack and her mother, who are now "in the sky" since they're both dead. Jenova is also the "Calamity from the Skies" and was responsible for eradicating her people."

This is one of those things where the expanded meaning just kind of doesn't really come through in the line as (re)written, and as a result if it needs to be explained in a book, the line doesn't really work on its own merits.

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
lmao what the fuck do i gotta update the game in order to get the remake goodies in rebirth, because this is such a huge downgrade. "i miss it...the steel sky" is a fantastic final line

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The sky bit is important to Rebirth, so I imagine they changed it for that reason. They likely wanted to contextualize what Aerith was seeing.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious that this was changed to reflect the evolution of Aerith's taste in point and click adventure games over the course of the series.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pre patch Aerith isn't the same Aerith as Post patch Aerith. It's another Aerith, a second Aerith as post-patch Remake is a different continuity than pre-patch Remake.

The eventual Rebirth DLC tells us about the rest of the second Aeriths, seven in total. Until we meet all seven of the Aeriths, we won't be able to see the end of the group's true journey.

Thus, seven seconds until the end. Five more second Aeriths to go.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Yet Square won't remove the ableist slur from the PS4 port of the original FF7 when Tifa calls Barret the R word, ridiculous.

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023
The "steel sky" line felt weird to me after Barret rallying us against that %@*&# 'pizza' earlier in the game.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The sky bit is important to Rebirth, so I imagine they changed it for that reason. They likely wanted to contextualize what Aerith was seeing.

the fun of localization! you don't necessarily know what line a sequel might latch onto in Japanese, and then it becomes bigger and well.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The old one, not even close. It was one of the only genuinely good things about Remake's ending.

The new one reeks of a slavish adherence to "accuracy" in translation over localization making things sound more natural within the context of what a character would say (anyone paying attention would've remembered her speaking of the boundless, terrifying freedom represented by the real sky vs. the security she found in the one created by the plate, so it's not like it was even remotely difficult to comprehend).

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this was almost certainly changed because it gets called back to in some way in Rebirth

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Crazy thought but let's assume they had a good reason given they know the complete background context of this entire project and we don't.

(Probably because it becomes a recurring expression of hers and they wanted to normalize it for consistency (sort of the opposite of Squall saying 'whatever' all the time in the english language version))

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
in the italian version it was like that since day one, and it was supposed to be closer to the japnese version than to the english one.
So I guess what Aerith said is important to the plot and the first english translation missed the point

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
IT IS

"the steel sky" is a callback to a previous line that aerith says around the time she first meets Cloud. It's literally a term that the people from the slums use. Moreover, "I miss it, the steel sky" implies what the new line says directly. The new line is just more literal.

like, why? Why would you change this great line?

The new line is a direct callback to a line from Crisis Core.

I feel like this was almost certainly changed because it gets called back to in some way in Rebirth

Yes, it's used in one of the Rebirth trailers.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
the fun of localization! you don't necessarily know what line a sequel might latch onto in Japanese, and then it becomes bigger and well.
This is my guess as well.

They misinterpreted what the line meant out of any context, because how could they without that context, and it turns out it does matter to something they had not seen yet.

It's a beautiful and poetic line but having played Rebirth I can 100% tell what they wanted it to mean.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The new line is a direct callback to a line from Crisis Core.
wow so it's even worse. Way to add insult to injury.

This is my guess as well.

They misinterpreted what the line meant out of any context, because how could they without that context, and it turns out it does matter to something they had not seen yet.

It's a beautiful and poetic line but having played Rebirth I can 100% tell what they wanted it to mean.
Alright I'll keep that in mind.

It just sucks because I really liked that line. :(

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care that they changed it. I really don't. They basically say the same thing. I miss the old sky, I hate the new sky, whatever...

Anyway, not returning because I have to wait for rebirth on PC.