What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robotoboy

Banned
Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Damn. Well, I'm a nobody, and my opinion isn't worth anything to anyone but myself, but DAMN.

This is hilarious. I am going to be laughing my entire way through this game. I'm not really a fan of Nomur/Nojima anything, because their plots are terrible, and their characters are paper thin tropes held together by cool design. That said I have SOME nostalgia for FFVII... more for FFIX, but FFVII was the first spikey haired protag anime thing aside from DBZ I experienced and 8 year old me thought it was cool beyond reason... heck 14/17 year old me loved it still. As a 30 year old I've grown to dislike it, and Kingdom Hearts. I think their plots are terrible, and often times make little to no sense, usually based around basic ideas... and since the characters are all boring one note tropes there isn't much to hold it all together.

The only thing that kept FFVII fun in concept to me was the goofy stuff, like riding the dolphin and things like that.

This game looks hype AF, the set pieces look amazing, the boss fights look amazing, the gameplay (from what I played of the demo) is amazing... I'm very much looking forward to playing this thing. I am not looking forward to a "re-imagined" plot that somehow makes the original plot look glorious. It's gonna be hard to get through some of this... I already had problems with the demo's dialogue which grated on my 30 year old ears (most of it probably would have oozed cool to me when I was a teen)

All that said everything in the gameplay, visuals, and music (FFVII's music is some of my favorite FF music) looks astonishing. The watchers of fate stuff? I'm good. I'm not into this story, and I would have preferred the older story, because even though it was terrible, this sounds worse lol - WAY worse. Time travel rarely works for a lot of things... it's notoriously hard to get right... NOTORIOUSLY... and Nojima does NOT have a great track record of doing it properly (VIII anyone?)

I'm definitely playing this, but that story is getting a nah from me dawg... sounds like typical Nojima/Nomura conspiratorial mind fuckery (which NEVER works when they do it)

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Tbh I can accept all these changes so far. So far.

The real crime for me is the lack of Cissnei.

I like Cissnei >:(

Last edited:

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This solidified for me that I won't be playing it. Which is ok I have other stuff to occupy my time with. The discourse around this when it officially drops is gonna be bananas. Actually looking forward to it. This thread is just a taste of what's to come.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't going to touch this thread.

My stance was that as long as:
Good characters don't become evil
Living characters don't die
Dead characters don't come back

... that I would be open minded about reinterpretations and trust that the major pillars of the story would remain in tact.

...welp. Just heard that about him (maybe?) being revealed as still alive. I'm actually really pissed. I hope it's wrong.

My best friend spent over 400 dollars on the ultimate edition, he loves the original and CC. Told me as long as Aerith and Zack aren't brought back that he's fine with any changes. Those are the only two things that would make him reject the new story and be upset with his purchase.

I don't have the heart to tell him...

Should I tell him? 😬
No one knows with certainty what happened in those scenes and what does it mean going forward. There's nothing to tell because we don't know.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

... that I would be open minded about reinterpretations and trust that the major pillars of the story would remain in tact.

...welp. Just heard that about him (maybe?) being revealed as still alive. I'm actually really pissed. I hope it's wrong.

My best friend spent over 400 dollars on the ultimate edition, he loves the original and CC. Told me as long as Aerith and Zack aren't brought back that he's fine with any changes. Those are the only two things that would make him reject the new story and be upset with his purchase.

Should I tell him? 😬

No let him play the game and see what actually happens

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018

Should I tell him? 😬

Tell him. $400 is a lot of money. He deserves to know that those are things that might happen in other parts and decide for himself if its worth even playing this. He can also watch some reviews, I'm sure they will mention it as a reason for a lower or higher score depending on perspective.

Oct 25, 2017
The lengths ppl will go to to defend this bullshit and then naming this game ff7 remake
I mean, I'm just sitting on my ass typing on a PC. Hardly much effort.

I'm sorry but I hate the idea that Nomura can do whatever he wants, especially the idea of remaking XV to be more like Versus XIII. It basically means that he can do whatever he wants with no repercussions just cause he made some crazy stories that blow people's minds. I don't like that he can always get what he wants at the end.

Now obviously some are joking here, but I really have never liked the Lord Nomura meme at all. Puts the man on a freaking pedestal.

Clearly I'm part of a very very few group of people who think this way since others think the opposite but that's fine.
What repercussions should he face for making the games he wants to make? If people don't like it, then they can stop buying it, and S-E will stop enabling him the moment he no longer makes them money.

For what it's worth, as far as storytelling goes, Nomura is a complete hack. He sucks.

But his games tend to be fantastic to play. It has nothing to do with crazy stories that blow minds, in my particular case, it has to do with delivering some of the best Action RPG gameplay and boss fights in the industry. It may not be his direct responsibility, and maybe more to the credit of the battle planners of each title, but then he gets credit for knowing how to build a team, since no other director delivers as much at Square-Enix. If it was that easy or widely available, FFXV's combat would be better.

I also love his character designs, but I'm kind of tired of them at this point, and hope FFXVI will have a completely different art style. Yoshida would be better, but it hasn't exactly been long since we've enjoyed his style in other games, and even Mari Okada's Sayoasa. So I'd rather get something entirely different.

The fact that there are people who worship his shit tier storytelling is far less weird to me than the fact that there are people who want him to be stopped from delivering amazing action rpgs just because they don't like his stories. Why not hope for better writers instead? Any game can have a good story if properly written, but not every good story will result in a great game without a competent team to design it.

Nov 1, 2017
Uh, yes they were. In almost literally every single trailer they had model swaps where Snake would be in Raiden's place or they would barely show Raiden at all. They had a handcrafted marketing campaign to make you think you'd play as Snake throughout the entire game and that we were getting an incredibly straightforward sequel.

Literally no one went into this game thinking that Raiden would be the main character. Arguably it's the most blatant intentional attempt to mislead in gaming history, with MGSV being a close second because it emulates the twist and metacommentary.

I've been racking my brain over this - did we even know Raiden existed before MGS2 hit shelves? Granted, I was a youngin' at the time, but I read a bunch of gaming magazines and followed that game for years, and I was stunned when Raiden arrived at Big Shell.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the big boss battles actually have me wanting to jump back into Dragon Age Inquisition again (I have 1,173 hours played on that with Multiplayer, and the many different party builds and compositions). Ah heck, I have time, here I go again, too bad fighting some of the dragons are better done solo because of the crappy mechanics and the ARPG combat making a lot of the skills not too usable for the AI.

The boss battles also remind me a bit of FFXIV, especial the dreaded primal fights in that game. I hated those though (duty finder).

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to MGS2, that's more of an isolated aspect of the game. I doubt the notion that most fans wouldn't have MGS2 if they knew Raiden was the main character.
You don't remember the reaction to Raiden then.

Fans would never stop bitching about Raider to the point MGS3 made a character that looked just like him to be a butt monkey.

Raiden was probably one of the biggest gaming jokes in the early 2000's and pretty wildly hated till MGS4 and Rising.(which frustrates me because I always liked him.)

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People who were surprised at Raiden obviously didn't read the manual, because he's listed as one of the two main characters right in it.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm just sitting on my ass typing on a PC. Hardly much effort.

What repercussions should he face for making the games he wants to make? If people don't like it, then they can stop buying it, and S-E will stop enabling him the moment he no longer makes them money.

For what it's worth, as far as storytelling goes, Nomura is a complete hack. He sucks.

But his games tend to be fantastic to play. It has nothing to do with crazy stories that blow minds, in my particular case, it has to do with delivering some of the best Action RPG gameplay and boss fights in the industry. It may not be his direct responsibility, and maybe more to the credit of the battle planners of each title, but then he gets credit for knowing how to build a team, since no other director delivers as much at Square-Enix. If it was that easy or widely available, FFXV's combat would be better.

I also love his character designs, but I'm kind of tired of them at this point, and hope FFXVI will have a completely different art style. Yoshida would be better, but it hasn't exactly been long since we've enjoyed his style in other games, and even Mari Okada's Sayoasa. So I'd rather get something entirely different.

The fact that there are people who worship his shit tier storytelling is far less weird to me than the fact that there are people who want him to be stopped from delivering amazing action rpgs just because they don't like his stories. Why not hope for better writers instead? Any game can have a good story if properly written, but not every good story will result in a great game without a competent team to design it.
Kingsglaive had good designs when it came to characters, shame the film was trash

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The MGS2 twist lost its edge in Europe having to wait 4 extra months for the game to come out.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
So big time ff7 fans wanted alternative timeline? Please.

fans wanted a updated game since the ps3 tech demo. Most wanted update graphics and gameplay, not kh story.
There are many people who wanted Aerith to live. Go look back at previous threads. Go look at the demand to let Aerith live over the internet.

People need to understand that even with this twist the game still follows the original almost 1:1 so people expecting this be a completely different experience are showing their asses and haven't played or seen anything.

The alternate timeline opens up many possibilities for the Remake and guess what? for all we know the games still play out the same and they fail to defy fate. Maybe they extend the life of characters only a little longer but eventually everything still happens. WE DONT KNOW.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You don't remember the reaction to Raiden then.

Fans would never stop bitching about Raider to the point MGS3 made a character that looked just like him to be a butt monkey.

Raiden was probably one of the biggest gaming jokes in the early 2000's and pretty wildly hated till MGS4 and Rising.(which frustrates me because I always liked him.)
I remember it haha. After waiting so long for more Solid Snake, playing the demo 5 times as long as Zone of the Enders and finally getting the full game finishing the boat mission rubbing my hands together for the rest of the game and bam, this new character is revealed, and it looks like you're controlling him for a bit, (1 hour later) for a while, (3 hours later) ok, what's going on her... (many more hours later) ....

I didn't like it but I accepted it, I still would have rather played as Solid Snake. I didn't make a big fuss about it though. I think there's a version where you actually do get to play as Snake, MGS2 Substance or something. I never got that.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember it haha. After waiting so long for more Solid Snake, playing the demo 5 times as long as Zone of the Enders and finally getting the full game finishing the boat mission rubbing my hands together for the rest of the game and bam, this new character is revealed, and it looks like you're controlling him for a bit, (1 hour later) for a while, (3 hours later) ok, what's going on her... (many more hours later) ....

I didn't like it but I accepted it, I still would have rather played as Solid Snake. I didn't make a big fuss about it though. I think there's a version where you actually do get to play as Snake, MGS2 Substance or something. I never got that.
That version just had bonus Snake missions, which weren't at the same budget/scope as the main game. I don't think there is any voice acting/cutscenes in that mode.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
There are many people who wanted Aerith to live. Go look back at previous threads. Go look at the demand to let Aerith live over the internet.

People need to understand that even with this twist the game still follows the original almost 1:1 so people expecting this be a completely different experience are showing their asses and haven't played or seen anything.

The alternate timeline opens up many possibilities for the Remake and guess what? for all we know the games still play out the same and they fail to defy fate. Maybe they extend the life of characters only a little longer but eventually everything still happens. WE DONT KNOW.
Couldn't have said it better. :)

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the MGS2 reactions lol. Forums/social media wasn't quite the same back then, but people weren't happy either.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingsglaive had good designs when it came to characters, shame the film was trash
I wish FFXV used the Kingsglaive artsyle

gIpHRUP.jpg

5HeMuL8.jpg

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What this game does extremely well, is world building. Ofcourse, the entire game is focused around Midgar but if you've dreamt of actually being in that place beyond what the original game gave you, then this is a dream come true. The city is huge, and while you're kept on a leash quite a bit you're seeing and living a shitload of it. You also really feel the iron grip Shinra has on it, you can see the propaganda, the raids, their presence is felt in every corner. The slums feel most liberated, but are very poor and void of actual sunlight besides some gaps in the plate.

Avalanche too, they've been completely fleshed out and you'll spend hours with them. You also learn about their backstories and the missions are actual missions beyond just blowing up a reactor and failing to do the second as per the original game.

At this rate I wonder how many FF games we're going to get. I have the feeling Square will simply not announce FFXVI but keep milking VII for the remainder of the decade. Or perhaps both. But I could see a part 2 being the eastern continent as the main map with Junon as its big city and climax. Probably completely fleshed out as well, after all, I think Kalm to Junon was about 5 hours of gameplay in the original as well IIRC. They can flesh that part out just as much.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Where can I get more Elemental Materia?

I have only one after coming to Sector 5 slums and I want more. Any vendors selling it yet? Can I Steal it from some monster? Are some hidden in the gameworld?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Something tells me the later games are gonna allow players to choose how faithful they want the latter FF7 parts can be. Like you can choose to have a more straightlaced remake or a crazier campaign where you can keep Aerith have Sephiroth as a party member and Zack ends up being a final boss or something. I don't see them completely committing to one or the other even if I expect the later parts to still be along the lines of the original game.

Sep 14, 2018
Something tells me the later games are gonna allow players to choose how faithful they want the latter FF7 parts can be. Like you can choose to have a more straightlaced remake or a crazier campaign where you can keep Aerith have Sephiroth as a party member and Zack ends up being a final boss or something. I don't see them completely committing to one or the other even if I expect the later parts to still be along the lines of the original game.
There is exactly 0 chance of this happening, it's too much work. Like waaay too much for 2020 SE. We're lucky to have an attempt at 3D towns lol.

IzzyRX