• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You really gotta stop reacting to everything negatively as a default man. It's not healthy. They said they were making a full game, and they weren't kidding around. Based on the first several hours, they made huge changes to the tory that you don't fly past midgar in the span of six hrs.And those changes including a way more fleshed out location and a way more fleshed out avalanche. In the original, you'd think Cloud had only been in Midgar for six hrs. In this one, he stays there for several days and has his own apt. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that every single location will have it's own 50 hr arc. That for all intents and purposes just applies to Midgar.

When I see something to be positive about, I'll be positive about it. So far I have yet to see anything that does it for me.

Why should I care? The progression in VII is still largely linear and FFX is one of the most popular entries in the series so I doubt it'll ruin the game if it's slightly linear.

Some people actually enjoy things like chocobo breeding and exploring the world to find secret shit, or the feeling of getting an airship and finally being able to go anywhere you want.

There hasn't been an FF game since IX that captures that feeling well. X was the beginning of the death knell.

almendrabl

Jan 24, 2020
eHEkj8e.png

0Fh4AbN.png

yFto4uV.png

AlAK9aH.jpg
WXElYq0.jpg
OY7IVpv.jpg
aDCj9eV.jpg
cp669DX.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"But I swear, I don't hate everything."

There's a difference between "hating everything" and having fundamental disagreements with the direction this remake is taking from a structural and design perspective.

The parts of VII that I would be excited to see aren't even IN this game, so what is there to be excited about beyond it being over so we can move the hell on?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does that matter? It doesn't change the fact that it's not the backbone of it.
I mean it kinda is but alright.
When I see something to be positive about, I'll be positive about it. So far I have yet to see anything that does it for me.

Some people actually enjoy things like chocobo breeding and exploring the world to find secret shit, or the feeling of getting an airship and finally being able to go anywhere you want.

There hasn't been an FF game since IX that captures that feeling well. X was the beginning of the death knell.
If I found a game that made me even half as miserable as you are in these threads I don't know about you but I'd stop following it. You clearly have no intention of enjoying this game or even giving it a chance to the point I frankly wonder why you're even bothering other then an attempt to get everyone else to hate it as much as you.

Take the advice I had to learn from Pokémon threads and maybe learn when you really reached a point where you need to stop.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If I found a game that made me even half as miserable as you are in these threads I don't know about you but I'd stop following it. You clearly have no intention of enjoying this game or even giving it a chance to the point I frankly wonder why you're even bothering other then an attempt to get everyone else to hate it as much as you.

Take the advice I had to learn from Pokémon threads and maybe learn when you really reached a point where you need to stop.

We all have to get through this part, even the people who aren't excited to waste 30 hours in Midgar, if we want to see the rest of the story.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
When I see something to be positive about, I'll be positive about it.
At a certain point the issue isn't the project itself. And that point is when your complaints start to literally contradict themselves. The issue appear to be a subconscious want and/or need for this to not be a good first part of the remake or just a refusal to enjoy it no matter what the quality is. A few months ago you were convinced there was no way they could turn this portion into a full game, and now that we have receipts that they're certainly capable of that, the complaint is "well now they'll take too long to make the other parts." Like fam. Let yourself enjoy things. You have this ever moving goal post of "i'll enjoy it if it does x" and you should just at some point acknowledge that you either won't enjoy it by default and thus would find it much more productive to focus on things you DO enjoy or would get excited about or just accept the first part of this remake on it's own term instead of being SO absurdly specific about what'll make it good. Stop coming up with new things to be concerned about. Because again, there's a point where it seems like conscious effort to dismiss the game no matter what instead of having anything constructive to say about it.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We all have to get through this part, even the people who aren't excited to waste 30 hours in Midgar, if we want to see the rest of the story.
Man Square is MAKING you play this?

Wow you should probably call the police about that because I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Are they also making you complain about every single breadcrumb you see in the game?

About how they're clearly lying about it being full length and then turning around to complain when it is in fact full length?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Man Square is MAKING you play this?

Wow you should probably call the police about that because I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Are they also making you complain about every single breadcrumb you see in the game?

About how they're clearly lying about it being full length and then turning around to complain when it is in fact full length?
You know that's not what they mean and you know that playing Part II without 1 is like jumping into a movie trilogy at part 2. You might "enjoy it" but it won't make it a cohesive whole.

You can't get mad at my posts and then be so reductive when discussing this with other users. Scroll by, put someone on ignore, or just stop replying. Don't be a condescending ass while claiming to have the higher ground on another post in a thread about how they talk to people. Get outta here with that.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
There's a difference between "hating everything" and having fundamental disagreements with the direction this remake is taking from a structural and design perspective.

The parts of VII that I would be excited to see aren't even IN this game, so what is there to be excited about beyond it being over so we can move the hell on?
You know you could just move on and not interact with the many things you hate (sorry, disagree with) right? You've fundamentally disagreed with this game (and most other games and TV shows and movies...) for years at this point. It's just become a pattern of you going into threads about things you don't like and just posting about how bad it is until you wear everyone else down and they give up on interacting with you, which they should. You've posted like 30+ criticisms in two days.

you're not trolling but holy shit you need to just chill out and find something you do enjoy because all you do is hate hate hate and I can't imagine it's healthy. Like how many people need to point out you're a void of negativity before you step back and go you know what maybe I should stop engaging in all of this?

No. You don't need to play the game. If you want to skip this, you can watch cutscenes on YouTube or read a synopsis. Your pain is 100% self inflicted. The more you dwell on it the worse it's gonna get.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My dude PlanetSmasher is ridiculously negative/has things to complain about in just about every thread I've seen them in. Best to let it lie.

Also, with regards to Midgar. Them focusing on the city helps establish stakes around Shinra a little bit earlier? I'm trying to find a way to really phrase it, but I always felt like the fall of Midgar's gravitas (and the fact that Shinra was evil but was still fulfilling a purpose in the world) was 100% "tell, don't show". I didn't know anything about anyone in the city, I had no real point of reference for just how all encompassing the city was.

At the end of the day I prefer that they show me what makes Midgar tick and the fact that while Shinra fucking sucks, there are still lots of people in Midgar that would suffer massively without them. Let me grow attached to the city and its denizens. I'm super interested to see how they make me spend that time and if they actually succeed in making me care.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or you could play part 2 when that releases whenever the fuck that is. Kinda like people who played Mass effect 2 and didnt play me1. There's no requirement to play part 1 if you want to play the stuff outside of midgard.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At a certain point the issue isn't the project itself. And that point is when your complaints start to literally contradict themselves the issue appear to be a subconscious want and/or need for this to not be a good first part of the remake. A few months ago you were convinced there was no way they could turn this portion into a full game, and now that we have receipts that they're certainly capable of that, the complaint is "well now they'll take too long to make the other parts." Like fam. Let yourself enjoy things. You have this ever moving goal post of "i'll enjoy it if it does x" and you should just at some point acknowledge that you either won't enjoy it by default and thus would find it much more productive to focus on things you DO enjoy or would get excited about or just accept the first part of this remake on it's own term instead of being SO absurdly specific about what'll make it good.

My issue, for months, has been the fact that I don't give a shit about Midgar or the people in it. I care about things like the Gold Saucer, having the full party, Cosmo Canyon and Nibelheim. Those are the parts of the game I was excited to see remade. Now, just as I've been saying for months, I still have to wait at least a year and a half to play as Cid or Vincent or Red XIII or Cait Sith. I still have to wait that long to go to the Gold Saucer or get a stupid Chocobo and name it something idiotic and run it up the side of a mountain. If they even KEEP that stuff.

I just don't care about hacking up Shinra grunts in Midgar, no matter how much "context" you give to it - that's ALWAYS been the biggest problem for me. Midgar is a narrative speed bump that keeps you from the good parts of the game and the full party. It's the part of the game you button mash to get through as quickly as humanly possible because of how linear and restrictive it is.

And more than anything else, I just want this remake to be over sooner rather than later rather than wasting the better part of a decade like the XIII saga did.

Or you could play part 2 when that releases whenever the fuck that is. Kinda like people who played Mass effect 2 and didnt play me1. There's no requirement to play part 1 if you want to play the stuff outside of midgard.

Playing ME2 without playing ME1 first is like the absolute worst way to experience that story.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know that's not what they mean and you know that playing Part II without 1 is like jumping into a movie trilogy at part 2. You might "enjoy it" but it won't make it a cohesive whole.

You can't get mad at my posts and then be so reductive when discussing this with other users. Scroll by, put someone on ignore, or just stop replying. Don't be a condescending ass while claiming to have the higher ground on another post in a thread about how they talk to people. Get outta here with that.
I'm not claiming the higher ground to anybody. I even fucking said I used to get unreasonably upset about Pokémon.

But I have my fucking limits. And basically contradicting the thing you've been bitching for months about is it.

YouTube is a thing. Until then if I'd been doing nothing but complaining about one game for MONTHS at a point the last thing I'd want to do is fucking play it. They don't WANT to like it and that fact has become blatantly obvious.

But I'm done. You people aren't worth the headache.

Makodaioh2167

Mar 30, 2020
Holy fucking shit at some those images.

Oh my God.

That's... Those look like some powerful scenes. Just looking at them raises a lump in my throat.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
ahh, he's infected another thread
Yeah I give up. Drivebys like this and shit are just allowed against posters the majority deems okay with shitting on. I don't even agree with most of Planetsmashers takes on other threads and content in games and seeing the amount of low effort posts and stuff on someone who disagrees with people, when people could either move on with the dialogue or put them on ignore is really shitty behavior and I'm really surprised it's allowed. Watching everyone get mad about my replies to people when majority of the non quoted posts are shitting on people with negative opinions (like the FIRST post in the OT too) is just not worth the headache. I'm out.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
When I played VII as a kid, Midgar felt MASSIVE for me and I'm pretty happy it's getting massively expanded as I've always loved the aesthetics and the atmosphere of it all. I remember it taking me like 15 hours to get through it, mostly because of my poor playing lol. So, in a way I feel like I'll be getting a revision of my childhood experience, only this time, it's actually intended for us to be in Midgar for a long time.

Regarding the structure of future parts, why don't they just use XII as a foundation on how to make the open world? Like, I don't NEED a Witcher 3-style open world and I don't trust Square to pull it off. Give us the main important locations we'll be visiting that are surrounded by several large areas of wilderness to simulate the journey between them. It's an illusion of a far longer trek, but so is the overworld from the olden titles. Include train stations or something of the sort as a method of transport and fast-travel. If done creatively, it would be a great way to translate the original to the modern age, for me at least.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
My issue, for months, has been the fact that I don't give a shit about Midgar or the people in it.
I care about things like the Gold Saucer, having the full party, Cosmo Canyon and Nibelheim.
Then why're you so heavily following the part that we've known for four years is ONLY Midgar. There is no point complaining about something you've known about for four years. It was ever gonna change, or be different. It was always gonna be a heavily expanded Midgar. At some point you offer constructive criticism, what you're doing is the complete opposite. No amount of complaining is gonna magically make time go forward and get us the Golden Saucer in 2020. And you know, what, that's ok. We've had four years to come to terms with that. Like there's an inherent difference between "I don't care about this part" and "No matter what, this part is bad and unexciting but i'm following it anyway as much as possible."

I don't even know why this thread is so heavily focused on future parts when this part isn't even out yet in anywhere but Australia.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
My issue, for months, has been the fact that I don't give a shit about Midgar or the people in it. I care about things like the Gold Saucer, having the full party, Cosmo Canyon and Nibelheim. Those are the parts of the game I was excited to see remade. Now, just as I've been saying for months, I still have to wait at least a year and a half to play as Cid or Vincent or Red XIII or Cait Sith. I still have to wait that long to go to the Gold Saucer or get a stupid Chocobo and name it something idiotic and run it up the side of a mountain.

I just don't care about hacking up Shinra grunts in Midgar, no matter how much "context" you give to it - that's ALWAYS been the biggest problem for me. Midgar is a narrative speed bump that keeps you from the good parts of the game and the full party. It's the part of the game you button mash to get through as quickly as humanly possible because of how linear and restrictive it is.

And more than anything else, I just want this remake to be over sooner rather than later rather than wasting the better part of a decade like the XIII saga did.
Hundreds of angry posts definitely doesn't read as "I don't care" lol

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then why're you so heavily following the part that we've known for four years is ONLY Midgar. There is no point complaining about something you've known about for four years. It was ever gonna change, or be different. It was always gonna be a heavily expanded Midgar. At some point you offer constructive criticism, what you're doing is the complete opposite. No amount of complaining is gonna magically make time go forward and get us the Golden Saucer in 2020. And you know, what, that's ok. We've had four years to come to terms with that. Like there's an inherent difference between "I don't care about this part" and "No matter what, this part is bad and unexciting but i'm following it anyway as much as possible."

To be honest only midgar is announced at e3 2019

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I don't even know why this thread is so heavily focused on future parts when this part isn't even out yet in anywhere but Australia.

The "only Midgar" part was last year. They said it was in parts, but they never said what the part breakdown would be until E3 last year.

Hundreds of angry posts definitely doesn't read as "I don't care" lol

Nothing else to talk about right now. You think I'd rather be in threads about the fucking coronavirus?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
When I played VII as a kid, Midgar felt MASSIVE for me and I'm pretty happy it's getting massively expanded as I've always loved the aesthetics and the atmosphere of it all. I remember it taking me like 15 hours to get through it, mostly because of my poor playing lol. So, in a way I feel like I'll be getting a revision of my childhood experience, only this time, it's actually intended for us to be in Midgar for a long time.

Regarding the structure of future parts, why don't they just use XII as a foundation on how to make the open world? Like, I don't NEED a Witcher 3-style open world and I don't trust Square to pull it off. Give us the main important locations we'll be visiting that are surrounded by several large areas of wilderness to simulate the journey between them. It's an illusion of a far longer trek, but so is the overworld from the olden titles. Include train stations or something of the sort as a method of transport and fast-travel. If done creatively, it would be a great way to translate the original to the modern age, for me at least.
I would love this. In fact, I think if time and money weren't a factor, it would be the best way to adapt VII's world. Well done zones are really effective and bringing about the illusion of a larger world. I just don't know if it's feasible with just how many areas need to be created over the next games. I think we're likely to stick with this apparent "linear with some quest hubs" style. Could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.