AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the "run in admin" tip! So I've gotten all the mods installed, antimicro working with DS4, and everything else is cash money. There is one more thing and it's the resolution. I've been searching for the mod that allows me to adjust this but I have yet to find it. The final objective in my quest lol
Sweet!

Did you turn on "high-DPI scaling fix" in the game launcher settings, as shown my screenshot above? If that doesn't fix your issue, then I wouldn't know. I didn't download any mods pertaining to resolution.

Also, one more thing. Take a look at my game launcher settings screenshot. There is a section there pertaining to controls. Next to the text input box, there is a small floppy disk icon. That button lets you import into 7th Heaven your game controller settings as they are in your most recent save (I labeled mine "DS4Windows&Antimicro"). Doing that, and then using that controls profile in 7th Heaven forces the game to launch with your personalized controls as default. That way, you can use your controls in the title menu of the game. This is neat because, as I am sure you have noticed, normally, on the title screen, the controls for your controller aren't the same as they are once you've loaded your game.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet!

Did you turn on "high-DPI scaling fix" in the game launcher settings, as shown my screenshot above? If that doesn't fix your issue, then I wouldn't know. I didn't download any mods pertaining to resolution.

Also, one more thing. Take a look at my game launcher settings screenshot. There is a section there pertaining to controls. Next to the text input box, there is a small floppy disk icon. That button lets you import into 7th Heaven your game controller settings as they are in your most recent save (I labeled mine "DS4Windows&Antimicro"). Doing that, and then using that controls profile in 7th Heaven forces the game to launch with your personalized controls as default. That way, you can use your controls in the title menu of the game. This is neat because, as I am sure you have noticed, normally, on the title screen, the controls for your controller aren't the same as they are once you've loaded your game.
Can I do this manually? I didn't see the floppy on mine or yours. What folder would I be placing my antimicro controller settings?

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
how can these two bolded lines of yours can even coexist. i never said Satsuki's perfect. there's a limit to what ai upscaling can do, still, more so at such an obscene low res like FF7 BG's. My point, as you yourself pointed out, is that Satsuki is more polished. in various moments where a more manual touch was needed, they did it, where Remako feels like a the author just put the backgrounds without any care through an upscaler and was done.
Your only screenshot even showed that to be a thing.
"Remako has not been vastly surpassed" =\= ReMako is the best solution

Simply put, they're different and have different aesthetics. I'd never say one is better than the other... as you're doing.

And yes, Satsuki is more polished overall. That doesn't mean it's better, it still carries with it that distinctive style. ReMako does have the occasional rough spot, but is perfectly playable start to finish... and if you dig the aesthetic more than the other one just go for it.

It just comes down to preference, really. It's not that hard to understand.
That arcade(?) scene looks awful.
Again, you do you. I hate the 2xSal look of Satsuki, but you don't see me telling others ReMako is objectively better.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite. Well moreso there's another small issue. The long black bar at the bottom of my screen when I do fullscreen. I'm doing 4:3 so I'm moreso trying to center it if I can't fill the screen vertically
Yeah, I don't think that black bar can be removed. I haven't seen anything on the quimm forums suggesting it was possible. If you figure it out, let me know.

How is everything else working? Controller? Mods?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
"Remako has not been vastly surpassed" =\= ReMako is the best solution

Simply put, they're different and have different aesthetics. I'd never say one is better than the other... as you're doing.

And yes, Satsuki is more polished overall. That doesn't mean it's better, it still carries with it that distinctive style. ReMako does have the occasional rough spot, but is perfectly playable start to finish... and if you dig the aesthetic more than the other one just go for it.

It just comes down to preference, really. It's not that hard to understand.

Again, you do you. I hate the 2xSal look of Satsuki, but you don't see me telling others ReMako is objectively better.
thanks for ignoring the rest of the post, which says what you're saying: it's evidently my opinion, no shit. it's implied. I never remotely said the anything close to the bolded.At worst, i just pointed out that you saying "it's more polished" goes against what you said. at this point, you're basically saying "it's better...but not by as much as you're saying. Vastly is too much", which is silly.
and nah. you can argue that the arcade is too filtered on Satsuki's, which is fair, but the Remako one is awful, full stop... To a degree that using the original background, despite clashing with the rest of the upscaled ones, would've been a better choice.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think that black bar can be removed. I haven't seen anything on the quimm forums suggesting it was possible. If you figure it out, let me know.

How is everything else working? Controller? Mods?
Oh well it's not a big deal about it then. Controller: good. Mods: good. Everything turned out well. I'm a huge thanks to you and JahIthBer for all the help. You've made my FF7 dreams a reality.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Also if anybody here knows how to remove that black bar then be my guest

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well it's not a big deal about it then. Controller: good. Mods: good. Everything turned out well. I'm a huge thanks to you and JahIthBer for all the help. You've made my FF7 dreams a reality.
You're welcome!

All you have to do now is keep an eye on some threads from the quimm forums for some updates to 7th Heaven and its catalogue. Here are some links for you:

[FF7 PC] Mod Manager - 7th Heaven 2.0
[FF7] Qhimm Catalog 3.0 Reports / Requests
[FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
Project Edge (Jusete's field scenes)
[FF8PC - Steam] New Threat Mod (v0.3)

The author of New Threat, Sega Chief, is planning on putting all of his attention on FFVIII after version 2.0 of VII New Threat is released. I'm very excited for it, as VIII is definitely in need of a rebalance mod.

Project Edge is a project whose goal is the complete recreation, from scratch,, in 4K, of FFVII's environments with modern software. Take a look at Kalm's Inn:

zCjUuoi.jpg

(look at the image in its original size. You can see the small papercraft figurines of the game's cast on the shelf behind the counter. It's impressive.)

The mod still has a long time to be complete, but I'm looking forward to it.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
You're welcome!

All you have to do now is keep an eye on some threads from the quimm forums for some updates to 7th Heaven and its catalogue. Here are some links for you:

[FF7 PC] Mod Manager - 7th Heaven 2.0
[FF7] Qhimm Catalog 3.0 Reports / Requests
[FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
Project Edge (Jusete's field scenes)
[FF8PC - Steam] New Threat Mod (v0.3)

The author of New Threat, Sega Chief, is planning on putting all of his attention on FFVIII after version 2.0 of VII New Threat is released. I'm very excited for it, as VIII is definitely in need of a rebalance mod.

Project Edge is a project whose goal is the complete recreation, from scratch,, in 4K, of FFVII's environments with modern software. Take a look at Kalm's Inn:

zCjUuoi.jpg

(look at the image in its original size. It's impressive.)

The mod still has a long time to be complete, but I'm looking forward to it.
goddamn

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Shit I'm just learning that the steam version doesn't have the game boosters like the ps4 version. Is there a mod with no random encounter? I see that 7th heaven has a speed hack though which is good.

/edit: oh wait, it seems to be included in New Threat.

Last edited:

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks, everyone. I`ve bought the game some time ago and wanted to play it with mods, but didn`t know where to start. Now my FF7 is fully moded and ready to go!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shit I'm just learning that the steam version doesn't have the game boosters like the ps4 version. Is there a mod with no random encounter? I see that 7th heaven has a speed hack though which is good.

/edit: oh wait, it seems to be included in New Threat.
Yeah, New Threat allows you to turn random encounters on or off at save points.

There's also a no encounter mod in the Gameplay package from the quimm community, but that's a mod by itself, so you need to be outside the game to activate or deactivate it. It's much less convenient.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How do I add New Threat to the 7th Heaven Mod Manager?
In 7th Heaven's download page ("browse catalog"), download the "Gameplay" package from the quimm community. New Threat is in there, under the "difficulty" section.

To configure a package, you need to click the settings icon on the right of the 7th Heaven window.

Here's a long tour of the program, for more information:

Last edited:

Rajang

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
In 7th Heaven's download page ("browse catalog"), download the "Gameplay" package from the quimm community. New Threat is in there, under the "difficulty" section.

To configure a package, you need to click the settings icon on the right of the 7th Heaven window.

Here's a long tour of the program, for more information:

Wow awesome, didn't know New Threat was inside of the "Gameplay" mod package. Thanks.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
I've been having a blast with the game so far. It's been a few years since I played FF7 but so far I'm having a blast. It's cool how characters have defined "roles" and "special abilities" in the group now. And these encounters are harder than I remember. Just fought Don Corneo's pet in the sewers and that shit was hard. Looking forward to further customization once I get more materia.

AND THE GAME LOOKS GOOD NOW. Looks way closer to FF8/9. Textures look great. Character models (I'm using the FF8-style models) don't look jarring or "off" to me. I thought I wouldn't like them due to the charm of the original blocky models, but it looks fine.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to change button promts so it uses Nintendo Pro Controller button markers instead?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow awesome, didn't know New Threat was inside of the "Gameplay" mod package. Thanks.
You're welcome. Let us know what you think of the mod once you're into it.

I've been having a blast with the game so far. It's been a few years since I played FF7 but so far I'm having a blast. It's cool how characters have defined "roles" and "special abilities" in the group now. And these encounters are harder than I remember. Just fought Don Corneo's pet in the sewers and that shit was hard. Looking forward to further customization once I get more materia.

AND THE GAME LOOKS GOOD NOW. Looks way closer to FF8/9. Textures look great. Character models (I'm using the FF8-style models) don't look jarring or "off" to me. I thought I wouldn't like them due to the charm of the original blocky models, but it looks fine.
Good to hear! And yeah, the game isn't done introducing systems to you lol. Keep playing. It's great.

Are you using Ninostyle's realistic models? I think they look really good. I played with them for a bit some months back. They're great. But right now, I'm waiting for Ninostyle to finish his chibi models before playing the game again. That, and New Threat 2.0.

Is there a way to change button promts so it uses Nintendo Pro Controller button markers instead?
Unfortunately no. Not that I know of, at least. Maybe check the quimm forums if something might be there.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
You're welcome. Let us know what you think of the mod once you're into it.

Good to hear! And yeah, the game isn't done introducing systems to you lol. Keep playing. It's great.

Are you using Ninostyle's realistic models? I think they look really good. I played with them for a bit some months back. They're great. But right now, I'm waiting for Ninostyle to finish his chibi models before playing the game again. That, and New Threat 2.0.

Unfortunately no. Not that I know of, at least. Maybe check the quimm forums if something might be there.
I was using Kaldashla? style by default but looking at the ninostyle and those look really good. Gonna give those a try for a while.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I'm using the chibi models from ninostyle and the realistic models for battles and it looks pretty good (especially Barrett) more so than I initially thought by looking at some screens.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was using Kaldashla? style by default but looking at the ninostyle and those look really good. Gonna give those a try for a while.
Yeah, the realistic Ninostyle models looks really good. They try to recreate Nomura's art as closely as possible. Also, I don't know about Kaldarasha, but Ninostyle's models also have breathing animation.

I'm using the chibi models from ninostyle and the realistic models for battles and it looks pretty good (especially Barrett) more so than I initially thought by looking at some screens.
Yeah, the Nino's chibi models are great. I'm waiting for him to finish them all before playing the game again. I'm sure New Threat 2.0 will be out around the same time.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I do find the transition to battle screens to take a little bit longer with the 7th Heaven mods I have installed. Maybe a second or two

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the realistic Ninostyle models looks really good. They try to recreate Nomura's art as closely as possible. Also, I don't know about Kaldarasha, but Ninostyle's models also have breathing animation.

Yeah, the Nino's chibi models are great. I'm waiting for him to finish them all before playing the game again. I'm sure New Threat 2.0 will be out around the same time.
Okay so quick question: when you unlock "Sources" you get a bunch at first and it seems you're supposed to give them all to Cloud? You pick the "class" for Cloud then you get a bunch of points. Or do you distribute them amongst the party?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so quick question: when you unlock "Sources" you get a bunch at first and it seems you're supposed to give them all to Cloud? You pick the "class" for Cloud then you get a bunch of points. Or do you distribute them amongst the party?
All of the sources you get when visiting Mr. Smiles are for the character that you selected. It's janky, but it's how the game establishes classes. So when the game gets you to the item menu, you use all of the available sources. You do this for every character that got a rank up (which is basically a job level).

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
All of the sources you get when visiting Mr. Smiles are for the character that you selected. It's janky, but it's how the game establishes classes. So when the game gets you to the item menu, you use all of the available sources. You do this for every character that got a rank up (which is basically a job level).
Okay so it's like a WRPG where you have points to create "builds". I get it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Reunion is a must. Remako has been vastly surpassed by Satsuki's upscaled HD backgrounds:

[FF7PC]FF7 SYW "ArkTsukiVock" (v4) upscale : Battle, world map, fields, videos

[FF7PC]FF7 SYW "ArkTsukiVock" (v4) upscale : Battle, world map, fields, videos

only problem i had with reunion(and one could argue Satsuki's) was that Reunion ignores whatever inputs are on the launcher. only when i went into the input mapping inside the game, it worked, and i was able to use either the controller or keyboard.
Ok, this will do. This will buy SE extra time to have a remake of this game made by almost any remake developer (Shadow of the Colossus PS4 style).

Bookmarks for later.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so it's like a WRPG where you have points to create "builds". I get it.
Yeah, exactly.

Barret as a tank works very well!

So, if I use the Reunion mod for the new translation, I can't download New Threat by itself? That's a bummer.
Correct. The Reunion isn't compatible with any other mods. There seems to be some beef between the author of Reunion and the 7th Heaven people, so who knows if anything will be done about the situation ever.

Ok, this will do. This will buy SE extra time to have a remake of this game made by almost any remake developer (Shadow of the Colossus PS4 style).
Do you really expect a remaster of the original game to happen? It'd be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. The Reunion isn't compatible with any other mods. There seems to be some beef between the author of Reunion and the 7th Heaven people, so who knows if anything will be done about the situation ever.
it's not exactly a beef, like, it used to exist, but not anymore. it's just that reunion uses a vastly different method of injecting itself into the game nowadays.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Do you really expect a remaster of the original game to happen? It'd be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I would really hope so, Final Fantasy 3 Remake looks better than the Final Fantasy 7's they are selling. With FF7R being a sequel, and people likely going back to FF7 for context or to replay it, it would have been good to have a pretty FF7 around. It shouldn't even cost them much, updated 2d backgrounds, new 3d models, no voice. Final Fantasy 11 almost got a remake, and apparently it's still being considered.

Doing this before the PSX FF7 Remake probably was their plan, they wouldn't be able to hype and trick people with the current FF7R if a actual Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Crash Bandicoot Remake style, SOTC Remake style) was already out. Now, they can wait years before remaking FF7 original with no parts, cheaply done by a remake developer like Bluepoint, or someone like Panic Button Games, and make more nostalgia money.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
it's not exactly a beef, like, it used to exist, but not anymore. it's just that reunion uses a vastly different method of injecting itself into the game nowadays.
Actually, SYW mod comes with an install option that takes Reunion into account. Even then, it is possible to use other mods with Reunion. You just have to make sure that they are being put in the correct directory and then entered in the options.ini file. Its creator, DLPB made a tutorial video that covers this.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, SYW mod comes with an install option that takes Reunion into account. Even then, it is possible to use other mods with Reunion. You just have to make sure that they are being put in the correct directory and then entered in the options.ini file. Its creator, DLPB made a tutorial video that covers this.
we mean with 7th Heaven stuff. there's a bunch of mods there are compatible, yes, but a lot aren't either, specially 7th heaven.

Oct 26, 2017
You are all way smarter than me, so maybe you've run into this....When I install The Reunion mod, suddenly my joystick config stops working. No matter what I set for my buttons, the game doesn't care. There must be some Reunion config file that I can't find that is using it's own default controller settings. Anyone have a clue?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
So, if I use the Reunion mod for the new translation, I can't download New Threat by itself? That's a bummer.
New Threat has it's own translation, imo it's better, reunion goes a bit weeb.
You are all way smarter than me, so maybe you've run into this....When I install The Reunion mod, suddenly my joystick config stops working. No matter what I set for my buttons, the game doesn't care. There must be some Reunion config file that I can't find that is using it's own default controller settings. Anyone have a clue?
I think Reunion converts the game to 1998 like 7th Heaven, so Xinput (for controller support) gets broken, there is ways to fix this like using xpadder, ds4 windows, etc, it is a pain but 7th heaven plans to fix it next update.

Oct 26, 2017

I think Reunion converts the game to 1998 like 7th Heaven, so Xinput (for controller support) gets broken, there is ways to fix this like using xpadder, ds4 windows, etc, it is a pain but 7th heaven plans to fix it next update.
Thank you. As for the translation, I'm looking around and hoping to find a comparison between the two. If Reunion doesn't blow me out of the water in comparison, I might just go with New Threat then since I was interested in giving it a try also.

Welp, after researching, I think I'll go with new threat. I'm hoping to use new battle sprites while leaving the rest alone. I like my oldschool blocks walking around, and I like that The Reunion makes it easy to use some, but not all.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so if I want the better translation, better graphics (but don't really like Satsuki's stuff), to be able to speed things up but I don't want any major gameplay changes, what would be my best option?

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. As for the translation, I'm looking around and hoping to find a comparison between the two. If Reunion doesn't blow me out of the water in comparison, I might just go with New Threat then since I was interested in giving it a try also.

Welp, after researching, I think I'll go with new threat. I'm hoping to use new battle sprites while leaving the rest alone. I like my oldschool blocks walking around, and I like that The Reunion makes it easy to use some, but not all.
Yeah I was bent on installing Reunion too but all the benefits of New Threat + all the other 7th Heaven mods were just too much to ignore

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, so far if you don't pick the "incorrect" options during install the translation definitely feels like the old fansubs I used to watch back in the day. I guess even worse since they go with odd names like Leno instead of Reno because it's the more "correct" way. Even though Square has rolled with the former for over 20 years now. I had to reinstall the translation with the "errors" selected because it was fucking with my mind. I don't know if New Threat is better in that regard, but it was one of the few things that annoyed me with Reunions translations so far, but at least there were options to fix it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So is there a specific issue with the Steam version of the game that requires the original PC version's executable to be used, or is it just an issue where content hasn't been updated to support the Steam version's functionality?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, after researching, I think I'll go with new threat. I'm hoping to use new battle sprites while leaving the rest alone.
Good man. Go with Ninostyle's models, they are fantastic. They are basically recreations of the official artwork for the characters.

Ok so if I want the better translation, better graphics (but don't really like Satsuki's stuff), to be able to speed things up but I don't want any major gameplay changes, what would be my best option?
The Reunion has the fancy translation that most people want, but keep in mind that it comes with literal translation of some names. Reno is now Leno, Marlene is Marin, Moogle is Moguri, etc. I find it bothersome. Though I think the current version offers the option to use the canonical names.

As for better graphics, I don't know. I use Satsuki, and will do until Project Edge is complete, but that will take years. 7th Heaven also has many different character models available, though only Ninostyle is really "professional-looking", if we could call it that. I find all the others to look bad and worse than the original blocky models. You can get Ninostyle's models through 7th Heaven.

As for gameplay, there's a bunch of gameplay mods in the 7th Heaven catalogue. You might want to check there, but keep in mind that 7th Heaven is not compatible with The Reunion. You will have to make a choice. I know you said you don't want anything major, but I still recommend you try New Threat. There's no reason not to if you've already played FF7 before. It's just a fantastic mod that will make you appreciate the game almost as much as when you first played it all those years ago.

I don't know if New Threat is better in that regard, but it was one of the few things that annoyed me with Reunions translations so far, but at least there were options to fix it.
New Threat uses the canonical names for everything and everyone.

So is there a specific issue with the Steam version of the game that requires the original PC version's executable to be used, or is it just an issue where content hasn't been updated to support the Steam version's functionality?
It has to do with the driver that mods need to use. They all use Aali's driver, which is only compatible with the 1998 executable. However, there is a new driver currently in development by JulianX, called FFNx, that is modern and that is made to work natively with the Steam releases of both FF7 and FF8. The author of 7th Heaven has said that the long term roadmap for the mod is to eventually integrate JulianX's new driver so the mod community can finally ditch the old executable.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The Reunion has the fancy translation that most people want, but keep in mind that it comes with literal translation of some names. Reno is now Leno, Marlene is Marin, Moogle is Moguri, etc. I find it bothersome. Though I think the current version offers the option to use the canonical names.

As for better graphics, I don't know. I use Satsuki, and will do until Project Edge is complete, but that will take years. 7th Heaven also has many different character models available, though only Ninostyle is really "professional-looking", if we could call it that. I find all the others to look bad and worse than the original blocky models. You can get Ninostyle's models through 7th Heaven.

As for gameplay, there's a bunch of gameplay mods in the 7th Heaven catalogue. You might want to check there, but keep in mind that 7th Heaven is not compatible with The Reunion. You will have to make a choice. I know you said you don't want anything major, but I still recommend you try New Threat. There's no reason not to if you've already played FF7 before. It's just a fantastic mod that will make you appreciate the game almost as much as when you first played it all those years ago.

Thanks for the info. There is an option for the names, I'd definitely prefer the ones used in the remake. My issue (see my post above) now is that I seem to have done something wrong with the installation as the sound is borked when I try to play it.