ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's boring. It needs high amounts of grinding or playing the card game.
LMAO, I truly don't like the junction system because of this and the necessary grinding.
Yes, there is. It's an utter flawed. It breaks the flow and pacing of the game, requires either you playing the card game or high amounts of grinding.

What's the high amount of grinding, exactly?

I've beaten the game many times. Literally all you need to do is get is a few stat junction (most of which come pre-learned), some Refine skills and Enc-None. You can easily get that amount of AP from encounters or do it in an hour against Fastitocalon-F from the start of the game (or Cactuar later). You don't actually have to play cards to easily sweep the game, that just makes it even easier. Junctioning Curaga to HP and an offensive magic to STR and avoiding battles is literally all you need for the main story. The game has less combat/grinding than 7 and 9 by far.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm debating playing this on my old PS1 discs, or actually getting this remaster for Switch.

I'm not particularly fond of the updated character models. I think the originals have a sort of weird, ugly charm.

play your old discs if you want to play now. you never know if they messed anything up. check back later.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I'm not particularly fond of the booster mechanics, but if it will make people less frustrated in order to better appreciate FF VIII this time then let the people have it.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It is finally happening ٩(^ᴗ^)۶

I was kinda hoping for an increased difficulty option but...whatever...

It's FFVIII on PS4!!! I'd had thrown a full price for that alone.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

I've beaten the game many times. Literally all you need to do is get is a few stat junction (most of which come pre-learned), some Refine skills and Enc-None. You can easily get that amount of AP from encounters or do it in an hour against Fastitocalon-F from the start of the game (or Cactuar later). You don't actually have to play cards to easily sweep the game, that just makes it even easier. Junctioning Curaga to HP and an offensive magic to STR and avoiding battles is literally all you need for the main story. The game has less combat/grinding than 7 and 9 by far.

That guy is crazy.

Theres literally no point to grinding in FF8. Enemies level up along with you.

Enc-None allows avoiding everything but boss battles completely and you get that pretty early. Theres never been a LESS grindy FF.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who firmly believes the best games from SE were from '91 - 2000, I'm totally fine with this. I also actually enjoyed FFVIII more than VII too. I haven't played this since release anyway, and although I could easily replay it through an emulator, this looks quite a bit better to me, and they likely fixed some of the issues with the PC version. Time to be excited again as an RPG fan. This fall through Q2 2020 seems like it's going to be amazing.

All that's left is bringing back Final Fantasy Tactics, although it looks like from the event, they are more focused on FFBE. :(

Definitely looks like they put some effort in this. Now they need to go back and do that to 9.

Didn't they just do that in 2016/2017? Or do you mean putting more effort into the backgrounds?

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Only time i ever drew in this game is either when facing a boss for a GF or when at the Island Closest to Heaven or Island Closest to Hell. Barely any grinding.

Looking forward to all the salt when people visit the Deep Sea Research Centre and have Zell smack the machine instead of doing the steam puzzle.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
As someone who firmly believes the best games from SE were from '91 - 2000, I'm totally fine with this. I also actually enjoyed FFVIII more than VII too. I haven't played this since release anyway, and although I could easily replay it through an emulator, this looks quite a bit better to me, and they likely fixed some of the issues with the PC version. Time to be excited again as an RPG fan. This fall through Q2 2020 seems like it's going to be amazing.

All that's left is bringing back Final Fantasy Tactics, although it looks like from the event, they are more focused on FFBE. :(

FFT got a pretty extensive remake with WOTL years ago tho

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played FF8 since grade school. Curious to see if the junction/draw systems feel as overwhelming as they did back in the day now that I have some thousands of hours of RPG experience under my belt.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The way you actually "level up" is by drawing magic right?

No, you level up by beating enemies. But all that does really is increase enemy difficulty.

You increase your stats by junctioning spells. So junctioning curaga to your HP= crazy high hit points.

You could draw spells endlessly from draw points, but this is boring and takes forever. Refining spells from items or cards is way, way easier but no one did this back in the day because reading tutorials was too hard.

You also couldn't simply "buy" better weapons to make yourself OP, they had to be upgraded. Gil was harder to come by since monsters didn't just wander around with it.

FF8 seemed to be designed explicitly to mess with people who had "figured out" JRPGs by grinding endlessly....and would screw you over if you tried playing it like it was FF7.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I haven't played FF8 since grade school. Curious to see if the junction/draw systems feel as overwhelming as they did back in the day now that I have some thousands of hours of RPG experience under my belt.
Well the thing with FF8 is it punishes you for your RPG experience. Battling? Leveling? Not good in FF8.

Beyond that though, draw and junction are easy to understand as an adult. The tutorials are good. You don't even really need draw outside of obtaining a few GFs. Focus on learning GF abilities, using them to refine magic which you junction to stats which makes you stronger. Avoid combat against non bosses. Play cards to supplement resources instead.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
They did a lot more work to this than I was expecting.

I've never actually finished FF8 despite spending countless hours playing FF7/FF9 and I think this is my excuse to finally pick it up and finish it.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The amount of people in this thread admitting they never beat VIII- therefore presumably never experiencing one of the greatest endings in games- makes me sad.

Please. All of you. Remedy this. ;)

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
I woke up and I still can't believe we're getting this. I'm stoked to be able to play one of my favorite games of all time on my Xbox One

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wooooo baby

I let out a big cheer when this got announced, so happy

Looks way better than I expected seeing those comparison shots

Probably my favorite or at least in top 2 for final fantasies

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I didn't notice much difference in the trailer last night but looking at the screens it's obvious the upgrade on the models. Something I was wondering about though - I thought I'd read a long while back that the original FFVIII port had uncompressed backgrounds. Was that not true? If it is, there wouldn't really be anything they could upgrade on the background end of things, right?

And as a quick aside, FUCK the random rule.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super glad we're finally getting this. It's gonna be tough to get used to those new faces though, I kinda liked not being able to see their dead stares. Zell's super soft face looks a bit weird too.
Also, despite the battle menu size being true to the original game, I hope they make it just a bit smaller...

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
The amount of people in this thread admitting they never beat VIII- therefore presumably never experiencing one of the greatest endings in games- makes me sad.

Please. All of you. Remedy this. ;)

Ha I am one of those people even with that I still say it is my favorite FF game. I have tried on 2 different occasions to beat the game with my last atempt being about a decade ago and I got to discs 3 but just ended up dropping to being busy at the time and never got back to it.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
aL364dG.gif
When a game character tells you to get out of their house/store

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
As much as I loved FF8 at the time, just like FF7 I wouldn't make time to replay it unless it had trophies.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Leveling does increase your stats, just not as much as junctioning spells can do. If you never played the game before, do not fear. Unless you level into the high 70s, enemies will still be just as manageable to defeat with good functioning. Even then, if you hit really high levels, you always have a GF ability to lower enemy levels.

Oct 27, 2017
This looks really fantastic. You could already get a lot of similar improvements for the current PC version via mods, but this remaster just looks much more consistent visually than throwing together a bunch of mods.

I wonder if Chocobo World is gonna make the jump from the current PC version, it was a nice way to get some extra rare items.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Might be in with the cheats/boosters. It's the only FF game since VII that I've yet to beat. Was stuck on a boos on CD3 as a kid.
I've tried to replay it a couple times over the years but the early pacing and the B-Team scenes always killed my will to stick with it.

Di-did you just call Laguna the B team??

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wait does this game have the shitty Chocobo minigame or is that FF9? Chocobo Hot and Cold

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone knows if the UI is going to be 60 FPS like in the original ?

(this is important)
Not yet. I think they'll be spreading out information over the next couple months until the release date drops. My guess would be September for NA anniversary which was 9/9/1999.

What's this about Eden raid? :o
It was announced that there would be an Eden raid in XIV and the preview imaged was reminiscent of VIII. This happened months ago so we have been waiting for more confirmation that it's the same Eden from Final Fantasy VIII. In the recent trailer they showed that image which is from Eden summon.

The hype for VIII content continues!

Wait does this game have the shitty Chocobo minigame or is that FF9? Chocobo Hot and Cold
That is Final Fantasy IX.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So for anyone that already has the Steam version will they offer the enhancements for free or do you have to buy the remastered version?

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
So glad this happened! I think it's the most fun FF to replay with such a big advantage from knowledge of the junction system, secrets and where to find rare cards.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

You have to grind over and over. This issue is pointed everywhere. It's boring and you can't deny it, it's simply not fun to keep drawing over and over again throughout multiple battles, it's so bad you can even fail at drawing if your stats are low. There's no way around this.
I hope they put their little cheats in the game where I can simply draw 99 magic, so those of us that don't like the system can cheese them and just worry about the story and those that like it can use it normally. I finished this game a lot of times and I don't want to spend much time grinding for magic again.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
We're all wondering the same. It would be idiotic not to do it. Someone should contact Square-Enix directly...
Why would you expect the remaster updates on a PC port from 2000 that was put on Steam in 2013?
You have to grind over and over. This issue is pointed everywhere. It's boring and you can't deny it, it's simply not fun to keep drawing over and over again throughout multiple battles, it's so bad you can even fail at drawing if your stats are low. There's no way around this.
I hope they put their little cheats in the game where I can simply draw 99 magic, so those of us that don't like the system can cheese them and just worry about the story and those that like it can use it normally. I finished this game a lot of times and I don't want to spend much time grinding for magic again.
Grind what?

You can break the game multiple ways. Summoning GF, limit break spam, triple triad and avoid 90% of random encounters with No-ENC to keep characters low level.

You get AP from bosses so you can grab all abilities without any grinding.

Last edited:

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about Squall I'm sure someone will mod the "prince hair" over "anime hair" within the first week.

Updated geometry means we can actually mod the characters now and that's cool !

The others look exactly like they should. I don't mind anime Squall tbh but I understand some people prefer the old style.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Remastered Squall looks too different from the FMV model IMO. Younger, different hair and too "doll-like". Apart from that, it looks great.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about Squall I'm sure someone will mod the "prince hair" over "anime hair" within the first week.

Updated geometry means we can actually mod the characters now and that's cool !

The others look exactly like they should. I don't mind anime Squall tbh but I understand some people prefer the old style.
I hope some good mods come but I find too many people just make it worse and go FULL dissidia.

I think his face is okay but could be better. His hair is the biggest problem because they for some reason refuse to model it correctly even since the first Dissidia where the artwork USED his normal hair but the playable model didn't. I'm not mad at the remaster model because it still looks better than the original and it's not like they suddenly removed his OG appearance in the FMV's. I just wish they had attempted to redo it so it looks closer to the FMV's.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some bad news from Famitsu. The Steam version is getting some boosters that the other versions aren't getting and the Chocobo minigame isn't being included.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't have to play the game this way. You're like my brother so sat outside the garden in the beginning of the game drawing literally everything available to 99. By the time he started actually playing the game squall and quistis were lv.26.