Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I see... I've been trying to send her there since your last message but no can do... I'll just keep going on with the story for now.

Is there anyway to manipulate where she'll go, other than the tricks that require a soft reset (since that's not an option anymore)?
Use Draw Points to manipulate RNG since soft reset doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
On Disk 2 now on my re-run.

Finally got the Rosetta Stone trick in the prison. Its easier than I thought.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played the card queen and lost mini mog to her then she moved to dollet and I got it back and picked up the Kiros card. Now I'm trying to make her grab my sacred card and move back to balamb but she always goes to Galbadia and forces me to reset (hard and soft).

Is it random or does she first have to go to every region once before she selects them at random?

So far have the random rule abolished in every zone and plus too except for Trabia because as far as I am aware the only unique card from there is Selphie's which I already won.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I played the card queen and lost mini mog to her then she moved to dollet and I got it back and picked up the Kiros card. Now I'm trying to make her grab my sacred card and move back to balamb but she always goes to Galbadia and forces me to reset (hard and soft).

Is it random or does she first have to go to every region once before she selects them at random?

So far have the random rule abolished in every zone and plus too except for Trabia because as far as I am aware the only unique card from there is Selphie's which I already won.

• Balamb she will move to Dollet (37.5% chance) or Deling City (62.5%).
  • Deling City → Balamb (12.5%), Dollet (12.5%), Winhill (12.5%), FH (62.5%).
  • Dollet → Balamb (37.5%), Deling City (62.5%).
  • Shumi Village → Balamb (25%), Dollet (50%), Lunar Gate (25%).
  • Winhill → Deling City (37.5%), Dollet (37.5%), FH (25%).
  • FH → Dollet (12.5%), Winhill (25%), Esthar (62.5%).
  • Esthar → Dollet (12.5%), Shumi Village (25%), FH (12.5%), Lunar Gate (50%).
  • Lunar Gate → Random area, plus she gives no hint.
Just luck

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  • Balamb she will move to Dollet (37.5% chance) or Deling City (62.5%).
  • Deling City → Balamb (12.5%), Dollet (12.5%), Winhill (12.5%), FH (62.5%).
  • Dollet → Balamb (37.5%), Deling City (62.5%).
  • Shumi Village → Balamb (25%), Dollet (50%), Lunar Gate (25%).
  • Winhill → Deling City (37.5%), Dollet (37.5%), FH (25%).
  • FH → Dollet (12.5%), Winhill (25%), Esthar (62.5%).
  • Esthar → Dollet (12.5%), Shumi Village (25%), FH (12.5%), Lunar Gate (50%).
  • Lunar Gate → Random area, plus she gives no hint.
Just luck

Thanks I'll keep trying to get her back to Balamb then to get the Irvine card asap then

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017

There is no soft reset in the remaster. If you want her to move elsewhere you'll have to manipulate the rng - usually by using draw points.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
What platform are you playing it on? I don't recall any issues on PS4 and I just got there in my Steam playthrough and haven't had any problems with the audio. Is it more noticeable in certain areas?
I'm playing on the PS4 Pro. It's a few seconds into the track then it skips a little and then goes back to normal, it's like that everywhere I go in Timber. The only thing that might have messed it up is that I had left it paused and then gone back to the home PS4 menu and left it for a few hours before I came back and then noticed the track was skipping around. But even then I'm not sure why that would mess it up.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm at the start of disc 3 and have a few questions

I'm Level 46 with Squall, and the rest of my party are all 25-29

No matter what I do Squall seems to level up faster than everyone else. Is it better to main 2 other characters and neglect the others, or is it best to level everyone up the best you can?

This is why level scaling sucks!

Also, Is it best to use no encounter as much as possible, unless you need to draw grind or level up GFs so they can junction more magic/unlock moves?

Basically I just don't want to make my file unwinnable

I'll also add I'm playing on Vita (so the PS1 version) because I picked this up and got 10 hours deep the week before the remaster was announced

Radec

Oct 26, 2017

No matter what I do Squall seems to level up faster than everyone else. Is it better to main 2 other characters and neglect the others, or is it best to level everyone up the best you can?

Also, Is it best to use no encounter as much as possible, unless you need to draw grind or level up GFs so they can junction more magic/unlock moves?

I'll also add I'm playing on Vita (so the PS1 version) because I picked this up and got 10 hours deep the week before the remaster was announced

Just play what you like. You can make them all lvl 100 or stay the party to level 17 and can still beat the game and even Omega Weapon.

I try to not use no-enc if I went to a new place just to see what mobs or draws are there. Then if I don't need them, I just put no-enc.

There's 3 special islands dedicated for exp and ap anyway once you get Ragnarok.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Using the Card command will kill the monster and get you AP without getting EXP.

Other than that, I think the enemy scaling is based on an average of your 3 party members so it should even out.

Even then, you can do some crazy refines/junctions to get out of most problems, though that becomes less effective towards the latter part of the game where you are at.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the end of disc 2 and only missing 1 non-boss, non-quest or special card: level 6, Elvoret.

I've been playing the man in black in Deling for a while, because he played the level 7 cards I needed. I think he plays level 6 too but I had terrible luck.

Considering I don't have access to the Galbadia Garden girl anymore what would me my best bet for a an opponent who plays mainly level 6?
CC Club maybe?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This is the first time I've gotten every single card, I think. That cute little star is just so wholesome to look at. It is about time for me to fly into Lunatic Pandora but I don't want to throw away the rest of the world and go into Disc 4 yet, ugh, I wish there was even more content for me to do but I already have every card, every GF, did the Obel Lake quest, visited the Shumi Tribe, and abolished Random from every location.

This music is still so good btw.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the end of disc 2 and only missing 1 non-boss, non-quest or special card: level 6, Elvoret.

I've been playing the man in black in Deling for a while, because he played the level 7 cards I needed. I think he plays level 6 too but I had terrible luck.

Considering I don't have access to the Galbadia Garden girl anymore what would me my best bet for a an opponent who plays mainly level 6?
CC Club maybe?
I've read that one of the Trepe fanboys at the Balamb cafeteria regularly plays the Elvoret card. It is one way to get Lionheart early but of course the guide I'm using (Jegged) doesn't mention it until you can no longer get back to Balamb. Actually kinda disappointed in the FF8 guide there after using the FF7 one and finding it fantastic.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

CC Club maybe?

Martine at FH might be an decent option, I think he primarily plays level 5-7

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I've read that one of the Trepe fanboys at the Balamb cafeteria regularly plays the Elvoret card. It is one way to get Lionheart early but of course the guide I'm using (Jegged) doesn't mention it until you can no longer get back to Balamb. Actually kinda disappointed in the FF8 guide there after using the FF7 one and finding it fantastic.
He plays Elnoyle, not Elvoret.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This probably isn't a mod I would use but we are starting to see mods from the old version being ported to the remaster coming along on Qhimm:

B1BD5F384AACA6AF64800EC846822F55E8DF7388

080C306C47FB985589690E6AE2A91B5DDF3EC25B

hQ8OK3K.jpg

We might be getting some good stuff faster than we thought.

TheTurboFD

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Hey guys, quick question, what is a good way to increase the overall strength of all my characters? I put 100 curagas to increase health but what is good to put for strength? Right now at level 18 squall is doing about 250 ish with the flame saber but my other characters are still doing about 50 (granted I know they need upgraded weapons) but is there anyway to increase it a lot with magic?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, quick question, what is a good way to increase the overall strength of all my characters? I put 100 curagas to increase health but what is good to put for strength? Right now at level 18 squall is doing about 250 ish with the flame saber but my other characters are still doing about 50 (granted I know they need upgraded weapons) but is there anyway to increase it a lot with magic?

I believe 100 Deaths are pretty good for the early game. Once you get further into the game I think Ultima is the strongest magic you can junction to strength.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Tornado will serve you for pretty much most of the game. Plenty of people play the Abyss Worm card, and one of those will refine into a Windmill. Using Quezacotl's T-Mag RF, one Windmill will refine into 20 Tornados. 15 might take a bit of grinding, but it's fairly easily achievable.

TheTurboFD

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Tornado will serve you for pretty much most of the game. Plenty of people play the Abyss Worm card, and one of those will refine into a Windmill. Using Quezacotl's T-Mag RF, one Windmill will refine into 20 Tornados. 15 might take a bit of grinding, but it's fairly easily achievable.

Now I know this is a shock but I don't ever play the card game lol Is it possible to grab Windmills without the card?

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on the PS4 Pro. It's a few seconds into the track then it skips a little and then goes back to normal, it's like that everywhere I go in Timber. The only thing that might have messed it up is that I had left it paused and then gone back to the home PS4 menu and left it for a few hours before I came back and then noticed the track was skipping around. But even then I'm not sure why that would mess it up.

I can verify this^:
After leaving the game paused in Balamb Garden for 3-5 hours, all of a sudden I noticed that the music was glitching as described above. I think it fixed itself after I rebooted, but I did not save after discovering the glitch in fear of it staying with me throughout the rest of the game.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, there's a trick to that!? I spend almost 80,000 Gil trying to get 2 from that fucker!
Yeah this playthrough was the first time I was going to try it out tonight since I just hit the prison. Was watching this earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qKR_5UfIjc Just annoying that you don't find out if you did the running right until after counting to 54.

Having 3 would be nice, though I think you can get the equivalent setup later in the game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys! For anyone interested there is a discord server for the FF community here if you're interested in joining!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
This probably isn't a mod I would use but we are starting to see mods from the old version being ported to the remaster coming along on Qhimm:

B1BD5F384AACA6AF64800EC846822F55E8DF7388

080C306C47FB985589690E6AE2A91B5DDF3EC25B

hQ8OK3K.jpg

We might be getting some good stuff faster than we thought.
Is it weird I think the modded title screen looks much worse? Otherwise everything else is really cool. I've been keeping an eye out for updates by the modder. I hope he does good work with Squall model because I really disliked the last one that I think? He did for 2013.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Working on getting the Queen to go back to Balamb for the last leg of her quest (and picking up Phoenix afterward) then I'm ready to move on to disc 4! going to be able to finish up before Zelda comes out Friday, with all GFs and it looks like all cards!

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is it weird I think the modded title screen looks much worse? Otherwise everything else is really cool. I've been keeping an eye out for updates by the modder. I hope he does good work with Squall model because I really disliked the last one that I think? He did for 2013.

Nah, you're right. Not a fan of the title screen either, but the colored icons are a nice touch, and that text really pops against that blue. Given the option in other FF's, I always turn the boxes blue anyhow

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't really going for it, just trying out my route and played the prison guy a hand of cards and got a Rosetta Stone first try, holy shit.

Got 3 and I'm calling it a night. Wasn't too hard (just run without getting hung up on stuff). Might get silly and try for 16.

Last edited:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
82354edaff.png

Well, I did it. My platinum came during the ending cinematic so I don't have a screenshot but this is the closest thing to that. First time in all these years that I've ever beaten Omega or got every single card - I have been replaying this game for eighteen years and still manage to find little things I never knew about. Little conversations. Small pieces of lore. It is a testament to the painstaking care and effort directors like Yoshinori Kitase and Hiroyuki Itou put into their games, stuffing them with so much content that dwarfs most RPGs made these days. Even among the newer Final Fantasy titles.

The new models for Ultimecia and her many forms were just incredible - the detail in her final form is just something else.

As a bonus, I somehow also got "The End" for the very first time against Ultimecia of all people. I screamed.

dfb2e6e953.gif

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
really? i played that game like 20 time back in the thay on ps one never had that issue :S
I think he meant the PC version since the Remaster was based off it.

Deling definitely has some random bugs in it. I got lucky and didn't experience a single one but others in here ran into a similar bug you did but at the Gate instead.

I'm going to test this out since someone else experienced this too. I love this Remaster but some of these issues need to be fixed asap. I know JP support is aware of the Landing music error so now it's just waiting on a patch.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Working away from home a lot these days, but finally have a schedule where I get some downtime in various hotel rooms so have picked this up on the Switch. Feels like a great platform to play it on, and I'm really happy seeing the poll results =D

I have a really vivid memory as a 14 year old playing this game for the first time, and being blown away by the visuals and audio. After FF7, these character models were a huge step up, and something as simple as hearing footsteps was just... wow. But there's a scene I recall in particular, in the ship on the way to the Dollet mission where you have the briefing for the exam, and I remember thinking "One day, games as stunning as this might be playable on portable consoles!" It was a wild thought back then, but I'd started gaming on a Mega Drive, so moving to PS1 and seeing the Game Boy take off had given me a good sense of tech progression, but the thought of a game as cutting edge as FF8 on a portable console was mind blowing back then. And yes, I first realized that dream with the PSP (PSPGo in fact! Man, what a machine), but booting it up here still brings back that memory of schoolboy me dreaming about the day gaming hardware might be good enough to achieve this. My brain would have melted if it had seen FF7 Remake visuals back then =P

I also love that this game still fits like a glove! Boot up the Garden computer, retrieve GFs, set them to learn Card, beeline to that training centre and do it all without Quistis just because I can =D I even remembered to pick up the Occult Magazine from the library. Weird how some things just stick with you after decades...

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my Elvoret card!!
With it in hand, I now own all random cards - the only ones I'm missing are are PuPu and some level 8-9-10 that you get from specific people or quests.

After twenty years I never thought I'd get the motivation to collect all TT cards lol

Onto disc 2 ending.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, there's a trick to that!? I spend almost 80,000 Gil trying to get 2 from that fucker!

Yeah. Just like in the video.

Basically you just have to go down as fast as you can and challenge him.

If your character stopped/hit a wall while going to the room, you have to restart. Just press the dpad while the screen is black for continue motion.

Its easy once you have the running directions.figured out. I did 3 in a row.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
So how many music issues are in this version? So far I've counted two: The file for the short version of The Landing is a recording of the MIDI version of the song, and the file for the short version of the Ragnarok music just contains the full version of the song, so it plays the flute intro every time you get on the ship. I don't mind this change but I wish they'd fix the short version of The Landing.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I need 7 more cards from levels 6 and 7, where's a good place to get them?
Guy in black in Deling City, who plays the Kiros card, has been the source of all the level 6/7 cards I was missing, except Elvoret which I got from Martine, who also plays level 6/7 cards (I switched to Martine because I couldn't bear black guy any more LOL but I think they pretty muchhave the same hand).