• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which platform are you playing the Remaster on?

• Switch

Votes: 540 43.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 461 36.7%
  • Steam

Votes: 200 15.9%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 55 4.4%

• Total voters

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Any missables I should keep an Eye on ?

I know I should Draw on EVERY BOSSES to be sure.
I know about
Odin and Gilgamesh
Anything else ?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin

I know about
Odin and Gilgamesh
Anything else ?
Do not forget to get
Bahamut and kill Ultima on the forgotten isle, Ultima has Eden too.
Also do not forget to get Doomtrain, King Tonberry at the same place as Odin.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017

I know about
Odin and Gilgamesh
Anything else ?

Only GF spoilers

I believe Brothers GF is optional, despite their dungeon being part of the storyline? Might be worth double checking

Optional GFs that you DON'T obtain through drawing:
Doomtrain
Tonberry
Bahamut
Cactuar
Eden (Technically you still draw it)

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Aw man, doing Renzokuken with vibration on felt satisfying af 😞

Sucks to hear.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Are those missable ?
I think
you can get Eden in Ultimecia's castle but that is already endgame.
To get Gilgamesh you need Odin, because Seifer kills Odin at the Lunatic Pandora.
About Doomtrain I am not 100% sure if he is missable. You need ingredients for him.
You can get probably King Tonberry at the Tower too.
Sorry if I am being vague about missables, been a while I have played it.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Any screenshots of the settings screen?
EDd1YR6UUAAOjUs

That's the title screen? Aaaahhhhh yeaaahhhh
It is, but there is also the regular title screen from the original game that pops up after going through the remaster title screen

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
This game has cars???? This is not a real Final Fantasy game!!!!!

/s

Is there a way so enemies aren't constantly attacking? Like, the clearest example I can give is like WoFF where you're waiting to attack and so are the enemies. So far I seem to be waiting to attack and these plant creatures are hitting me three times while I wait. It's annoying in x3 mode.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
OK, I had a quick look at some Twitch streamers playing this on PS4 and it looks to me like analogue movement is not available. The character was quite obviously moving in 8 directions only on the World Map. So, to any AUS/NZ peeps or anyone else who might already be playing, could you confirm?

Being able to move smoothly, I feel, is incredibly important for me in this title and I think I'll pass if it really is just 8 direction movement. Edit: Looks like that GameXplain video confirms my fears, goddamnit! Just leaves me wondering why is it so hard to implement the original analogue movement in these remasters of VIII and IX.

Lastly, what's this talk I see about no vibration? Not even during GF summon animations?

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game has cars???? This is not a real Final Fantasy game!!!!!

/s

Is there a way so enemies aren't constantly attacking? Like, the clearest example I can give is like WoFF where you're waiting to attack and so are the enemies. So far I seem to be waiting to attack and these plant creatures are hitting me three times while I wait. It's annoying in x3 mode.

Yeah set the Active Time Battle system to Wait in the options menu.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah set the Active Time Battle system to Wait in the options menu.
It was on wait :/

OK, I had a quick look at some Twitch streamers playing this on PS4 and it looks to me like analogue movement is not available. The character was quite obviously moving in 8 directions only on the World Map. So, to any AUS/NZ peeps or anyone else who might already be playing, could you confirm?

Being able to move smoothly, I feel, is incredibly important for me in this title and I think I'll pass if it really is just 8 direction movement.

Lastly, what's this talk I see about no vibration?
Yes, it's only 8 directions.

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017

I know about
Odin and Gilgamesh
Anything else ?

There are like 5 different kinds of collectible magazines that you need to collect to unlock weapon upgrades, character skills, side quests and lore. There are too many to list, but they are all technically missable.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Does anyone know when the Switch store will update? Is it a blanket thing across all regions or is it like the PS4 where it is midnight in the respective countries?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The enemies are attacking because their turns are up.
But like, with x3 on and I'm trying to select things as quick as I can, they're attacking me. I want to be able to take my time with choosing an action without being attacked, y'know?

Edit: hmmm okay they don't seem to attack me when I'm in the draw menu but they do when I'm on the base menu? That's how the game will work?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But like, with x3 on and I'm trying to select things as quick as I can, they're attacking me. I want to be able to take my time with choosing an action without being attacked, y'know?

Edit: hmmm okay they don't seem to attack me when I'm in the draw menu but they do when I'm on the base menu? That's how the game will work?

Yes if you have the ATB set to Wait then when it's your turn you won't be attacked while selecting.

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017

I believe FFVIIIs "Wait" Mode only Functions while you are in a Sub Menu. You have to be in the Magic Selection Menu or in the Item Menu. If you are just on the Main Selection Menu I think it plays through, but its been years so I'm not sure.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Yes if you have the ATB set to Wait then when it's your turn you won't be attacked while selecting.
I wish they weren't attacking while I'm trying to make up my mind then :P (and it is set to wait). Thanks though.

I believe FFVIIIs "Wait" Mode only Functions while you are in a Sub Menu. You have to be in the Magic Selection Menu or in the Item Menu. If you are just on the Main Selection Menu I think it plays through, but its been years so I'm not sure.
This is what it sounds like yeah. A bit annoying when you're like me and new to the game so you're thinking about which move to do next. Basically have to go into a sub menu in order to get some thinking time. Ah well, time to pop another potion.

Oct 27, 2017
No vibration is infuriating. I can't stand not having it on the Vita and was looking forward to this.

That and 8 direction movement...
Guess I'll just hope my money goes towards justifying a remake but this remaster is a bummer.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Man... they gave FFIX essentially the exact same work-over as this, but I feel like that "Remastered" tag is going to drive more sales.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
No vibration is infuriating. I can't stand not having it on the Vita and was looking forward to this.

That and 8 direction movement...
Guess I'll just hope my money goes towards justifying a remake but this remaster is a bummer.

This is honestly unacceptable.

If you use a broken version as the base of your remaster the least you can do is fucking fix it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hm then I guess the SE representative at PAX really didn't know. He said there was full analog controls but he didn't sound confident so that is probably why.

What they did is they brute force 8 directions to the analog stick.

In the pc version the sticks only worked one direction at a time.
So while it solves the issue of moving diagonally, it still looks completely unnatural and off compared to the original.

Also, big question, what is this scene going to look like :

yqekqLV.png

And there are a few cities with baked in NPCs that are going to look absolutely abominable I fear.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
This x100

For new players, this is something that becomes accessible on Disc 2 after a certain point. It's worth it to get as soon as possible!
From a gameplay perspective isn't it better to technically not get
odin
till disk 4? Since he always gets an instant kill and
Gilgamesh
doesn't?

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
What they did is they brute force 8 directions to the analog stick.

In the pc version the sticks only worked one direction at a time.
So while it solves the issue of moving diagonally, it still looks completely unnatural and off compared to the original.

Also, big question, what is this scene going to look like :

yqekqLV.png

And there are a few cities with baked in NPCs that are going to look absolutely abominable I fear.
I think there is already a stream showing this exact scene. let me look for it.

From a gameplay perspective isn't it better to technically not get
odin
till disk 4? Since he always gets an instant kill and
Gilgamesh
doesn't?
Instant kill isn't a good thing since it can force unwanted experience. Gameplay wise it really isn't a huge difference.

Story wise is the most important reason to do it.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I can't believe the game doesn't have real analog support. That was one of the main reasons I was interested in it. I guess I don't need to but it now. I already have the old PC version from Steam. There are enough mods to make it sound and look better than the base game. Thanks for saving me $20, Square Enix.

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
I'm really excited to play this - it's my favourite FF along with FFV, I was so impatient to play it at the time I imported the US version because I couldn't stand waiting the... two months(?) for it to come out here in the UK. It's been a few years since my last replay though, so I think it's way past time.