Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
upBMsTk.png

Announced at TGS and Coming this Winter. These crossover events usually feature a new storyline with the characters from the crossover game.

There is now a reason to play Final Fantasy Mobius. You can download the app though the Google Play Store and the Apple Store and it is F2P. These events run quite long and with a release of December we will most likely see it ongoing until even Final Fantasy VIII's 20th Anniversary coming next year.

Youtube link:

The TGS Stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCuqa9ggm7g

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that storyline is usually "why am I here", "you and me are the same" "goodbye then"
over 10 hours of repetitive gameplay.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
They're doing a lot of crossovers for VIII in advance of the 20th Anniversary lately. Definitely more at ease about some sort of re-release of the game next year on modern devices.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I'll be the one to ask the question:

what are the chances that Square remakes FFVIII similarly to FFVII?

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
They're doing a lot of crossovers for VIII in advance of the 20th Anniversary lately. Definitely more at ease about some sort of re-release of the game next year on modern devices.
They already ported the game to Steam, I don't understand why they don't release it for Switch and PS4 like VII and IX

Alright, I'll be the one to ask the question:

what are the chances that Square remakes FFVIII similarly to FFVII?
They probably gonna remake VI and IX before doing a remake of VIII

So there's a chance, but you gonna have to wait until 2050

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering all the recent port announcements I'm surprised Mobius isn't coming to consoles.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They already ported the game to Steam, I don't understand why they don't release it for Switch and PS4 like VII and IX

They probably gonna remake VI and IX before doing a remake of VIII

So there's a chance, but you gonna have to wait until 2050

Final Fantasy 8 HD is coming. There's been too many of these 8 collabs for it not to

I'm wondering if we could get something more than just a PC port, but less than a remake. Like, a proper remaster.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if we could get something more than just a PC port, but less than a remake. Like, a proper remaster.
I'm very curious to see how the PS4 port will turn out. I feel like quite a bit more work will go into the port and we might see some updated character models. With the announcement of this in preparation for the 20th Anniversary I have a feeling there will be a lot more coming for VIII.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if they basically "remade" the game on Unreal Engine 4, but not a proper AAA remake like FFVII-R. Keep the fixed perspective, the not-as-detailed characters (compared to a proper 2018 AAA game), the gameplay and everything else, but with the bells and whistles of a 2018 game engine (like proper lighting, HRD, etc.).

If they truly lost the game's source code, this might be the only way of getting a proper faithful FFVIII.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
As much chance as final fantasy vii remake coming out in the next year or so

@OP they got a event or two going on for ffviii in ffrk too lol
Yup! Rinoa event with multiplayer fights against T-rexuar and Elvoret plus the VIII torment fight released recently. I completed it all immediately and pulled everything on the Rinoa banner. My VIII collection continues to grow :]

Also Quistis is coming to Opera Omnia tomorrow. THE YEAR OF VIII CONTINUES.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't see it happening. And I say this as a big FFVIII fan. I think realistically they might do FFVI if we are talking about full scales remakes. I wanna see Kefka cackle in 4K.
They have already discussed doing a VIII remake so unless you are just referring to the scale of VIIR then it's very possible they will do an VIII remake at some point. Kitase brought it up unprovoked last year at PAX West and then recently with the Rinoa Dissidia stream he said they don't have plans for it yet.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
They have already discussed doing a VIII remake so unless you are just referring to the scale of VIIR [...]

The question was literally "remakes FFVIII similarly to FFVII", so why would they be referring to anything else? I don't think many here care for the horrendous Ecce Mono remakes SE has been shitting out in the past.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The question was literally "remakes FFVIII similarly to FFVII", so why would they be referring to anything else?
I understand that but I'm more referring to the responses acting like there is no chance so I'm wondering if they think a remake in general won't happen or just scale wise which I still disagree because I think if they go through with doing a remake it will be huge.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
given SE can't even say "Final Fantasy 7R" without spilling their shit all over the floor, I'm pretty certain FF8R is off the table unless we're talking about a remake akin to FF3/4

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
My only question about the FF VIII rerelease isn't if it is going to happen, but if it will have some nonsense Playstation timed exclusivity like a lot of the previous ones did.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I understand that but I'm more referring to the responses acting like there is no chance so I'm wondering if they think a remake in general won't happen or just scale wise which I still disagree because I think if they go through with doing a remake it will be huge.

The point is that FFVIII is not nearly as insanely popular as FFVII is. For example, I love FFVI far more than VII, but I still understand a remake in the vein of VII is simply not happening, for the same reason.

People always extrapolate their feelings for a game to the general public. There's a reason why FFVII got two prequel games, a sequel game, a sequel movie, an anime short, a character in Smash and a full fledged remake while most other FF games including VIII get zilch.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
My only question about the FF VIII rerelease isn't if it is going to happen, but if it will have some nonsense Playstation timed exclusivity like a lot of the previous ones did.
I have a feeling Sony will get first priority before VIII comes to Switch however it could also be the switch version get's an early release compared to the rest and is announced at the anniversary.
The point is that FFVIII is not nearly as insanely popular as FFVII is. For example, I love FFVI far more than VII, but I still understand a remake in the vein of VII is simply not happening, for the same reason.

People always extrapolate their feelings for a game to the general public. There's a reason why FFVII got two prequel games, a sequel game, a sequel movie, an anime short, a character in Smash and a full fledged remake while most other FF games including VIII get zilch.
Sure but Final Fantasy VIII is a different case. It's still the third best selling game in the series with the least amount of rereleases and it's a PS1 game that graphically will need to be updated if a remake happens. At this point a remake has been mentioned so what else can we expect if not VIIR scale? I also think VIIR has more trouble because every aspect of it is changing. The battle system, the character designs transitioning from anime to realism, the additional content, etc while VIII already had that jump made when it was released by being the first fully realized character models and realism approach to design. I fully expect the remake when it eventually happens to be massive and I don't see any other way they could do it.

Everyone knows VII get's special treatment what with the compilation release and all that but it's not like they don't give attention to other games. I've more than enough shown VIII has been getting a lot of attention recently with features and Rinoa's Dissidia inclusion was extremely popular. We just don't know at this point because we haven't even seen what is to come from the VIIR but like I said the changes for VIII wouldn't be the same because it already had the benefit of starting with realistic graphics.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
People always forget that VIII blew IX out of the water sales wise.
Don't worry people will make excuses.

"IT'S BECAUSE OF VII" which yes VII helped for sure but VIII's graphic jump and setting was incredibly intriguing to people at the time and the game was highly rated and received when released. People still associate vocal hatred online as being the majority when clearly that has never been the case for VIII.

"IX DID BAD BECAUSE OF VIII" the biggest load of shit I hear constantly. There is many reasons that IX most likely didn't do well. The artstyle change definitely wasn't as appealing to people coming off VII and VIII(personal experience but many people I knew wouldn't play IX when I told them to because they thought it was ugly) and the move back to more classic Final Fantasy was viewed as positively as it is now.

It's also funny because VIII sold more on STEAM too. On PSN there isn't any sales figures but I would say both sold around the same.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I like VII-IX about the same. But I've played VIII the most for various reasons.

The main point of contention back in the day was "Where is Cloud" thinking that the game would be a direct sequel.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Square hasn't the money,the people or the will to make a Ff8 remake like the ff7 remake that we'll have. a Secret of Mana like remake is more probably

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mobius also had an FFX crossover event a few months ago yet I'm still waiting for the FFX-3 announcement

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I could see a remaster of sorts happening, as a few members have suggested. Keep the perspective, redraw the backgrounds, introduce new character models, voice acting and all sorts of QoL changes. Think Resident Evil remake, instead of Resident Evil 2. Given that it's the only PS1 FF title not yet available in the current generation, I think that, whenever it (inevitably) comes, it can't be just the original version.

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
There is only one expectation I have for an VIII remake and that is the artstyle being faithful to the original. The PS2 tech demo they had it right and were actually achieving updated character models that looked amazing but I feel like they haven't been able to do the same nowadays especially looking at the X remaster which was a mess facial wise.

b9aLpMl.jpg

This is what they need to aim for but also obviously update it.

Square hasn't the money,the people or the will to make a Ff8 remake like the ff7 remake that we'll have. a Secret of Mana like remake is more probably
Secret of Mana style remake would not work for VIII. It's too massive of a game.

I assume you mean the PC version coming to PS4 finally? Yeah, I think that happens soon for the anniversary.
I very highly doubt they will use the PC version. They didn't for VII and IX.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is only one expectation I have for an VIII remake and that is the artstyle being faithful to the original. The PS2 tech demo they had it right and were actually achieving updated character models that looked amazing but I feel like they haven't been able to do the same nowadays especially looking at the X remaster which was a mess facial wise.

b9aLpMl.jpg

This is what they need to aim for but also obviously update it.

Rinoa looks completely different in Dissidia so color me worried

9NpOB7a.jpg

G1Mfnse.jpg

OP
OP
Wazzy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Er, yes they did.

The recent PS4 versions of VII and IX are ports of the newest PC releases.
The VII and IX versions are both redone versions of the PC release while VIII's PC version is the original hence the soundtrack issue. They are not going to just take the PC version and port it knowing it's problems.

Edit: Actually IX didn't even get a PC release. It was ported to mobile which then came to Steam.
Rinoa looks completely different in Dissidia so color me worried

9NpOB7a.jpg

G1Mfnse.jpg
Yeah but Dissidia has a particular artstyle. Look at Tidus and Yuna. They also look very different compared to their X appearances.

While it's very possible S-E will be lazy and use the Dissidia models(which would be tragic even If I like Rinoa in Dissidia) I'm sure they will try to still be faithful to the original. It's really just HOW faithful will they be. The PS2 image is what should be the goal with updated graphics.

Last edited:

JSoup

Oct 27, 2017

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The VII and IX versions are both redone versions of the PC release while VIII's PC version is the original hence the soundtrack issue. They are not going to just take the PC version and port it knowing it's problems.

Yeah but Dissidia has a particular artstyle. Look at Tidus and Yuna. They also look very different compared to their X appearances.

While it's very possible S-E will be lazy and use the Dissidia models(which would be tragic even If I like Rinoa in Dissidia) I'm sure they will try to still be faithful to the original. It's really just HOW faithful will they be. The PS2 image is what should be the goal with updated graphics.

Dunno about Yuna but they said they made Tidus look younger in Dissidia to make him fit better with the rest of the cast.

I don't know what they were going for with Rinoa... If anything she looks older than she did in FFVIII.