Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Just got done grinding in the BONE ZONE in Lhusu Mines, got everyone to about 20 but more importantly am absolutely loaded with gil.
After so many playthroughs of this game I've come to loathe Lhusu Mines and this is the only place where I willingly use fast-forward. They should at least put shortcuts there >:-(

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you guys actually use the slow motion feature most of the game? I prefer the normal speed , that they label 2x for some reason. =P

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I play in real-time with active mode and fastest battle speed so I'd get my ass kicked if I used fast-forward

Ahh, nice.

Once i turn on these speed boosters i never turn them off unless there's a tough battle, they're by far my favorite feature ever in a remaster. I can't go back to the non-speed booster versions of FF7/8/9/10/12.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Thought I'd tackle the White Mousse in the waterway, that cowardly flan throws me Aquaga and sent me to the fucking shadow realm.

The way of ordering hunts in FFXII is bullshit. He's 6th but he's stronger than the next four hunts after it combined.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The Ring Wyrm is the same shit lmao, I actually survived against him but the damage is laughable. Wish I could get the break skills soon

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to restart the game once I select one of the new tracks?

I'm picking between orchestrated and OST and I cannot for the life of me hear the difference.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I'd tackle the White Mousse in the waterway, that cowardly flan throws me Aquaga and sent me to the fucking shadow realm.

The way of ordering hunts in FFXII is bullshit. He's 6th but he's stronger than the next four hunts after it combined.

The Ring Wyrm is the same shit lmao, I actually survived against him but the damage is laughable. Wish I could get the break skills soon

I actually love this about the hunts. It's nice to have some really difficult optional stuff thrown at you.

If you want a tip, the White Mousse
can be put to Sleep.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone will find the following useful now that jobs can be easily changed with the Switch/XB1 releases (and TZA not requiring min/maxing in general), but when the PS4 release came out, users on various forums did great work providing job combinations and character breakdowns to make the process of picking jobs less overwhelming. I'd saved the following for my own personal reference back then*, and thought I'd share, in case there were users with the new Switch/XB1 releases not really knowing where to start. I've linked to the original posts were possible, sans one post on the old forum, as i'm not sure if that's allowed.

Some posts use various terms for the job classes, but Hunter = Shikari is the most common one.

*(I'd started skimming over my old document again recently, because I'm really hoping the PS4 version does get the job change update. Whilst my Vaan makes an excellent Red Mage/Archer, he does look mildly hilarious with a giant bow. I'm sorry, Vaan.)

ETA: Good point from Atlantis, too:

Should be noted that some of that info is outdated, most notably Shikari / Foebreaker was revealed to be a pretty trash combination. Black Mage / Monk kind of fell off as well, but it's still a good combo.

Regardless, hopefully some of the following might be useful for anyone who's a bit overwhelmed with where to start.

This Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System - Jobs Guide was made for the original IZJS release. Only the first portion of the guide is applicable to TZA, as you can now double up on jobs, but it's a great resource for quick reference.

Excerpt:

Archer [Basch > Vaan > Ashe > Penelo > Balthier > Fran]
Uses bows and light armor. Best in-battle item usage through lores. Decent long-range damage. Provides elemental damage through special ammo. Provides magic breaks. Draws from STR + SPD for damage.

Black Mage [Ashe > Penelo > Fran > Vaan > Balthier > Basch]
Uses staves and mystic armor. Best offensive spell-casting. Staves boost elemental magic damage.

Breaker [Fran > Vaan > Balthier > Penelo > Ashe > Basch]
Uses hammers, axes, shields and heavy armor. High (inconsistent) physical damage. Provides all four breaks. No magic, with the [random] exception of Shades of Black. Draws from VIT + STR for damage. Lacks item lores.

Hunter / Shikari [Vaan > Balthier > Basch > Fran > Ashe > Penelo]
Uses daggers, ninja swords, shields and light armor. Potentially fastest job. High comboability. Good evasion-tanking. Can provide protective White Magic in late game. Draws from STR + SPD for damage.

Knight [Vaan > Ashe > Fran > Balthier > Penelo > Basch]
Uses swords, shields and heavy armor. Provides good physical damage and sturdy defense. Provides curative magic in late game. Draws from STR for damage but needs MAG for White Magic. Below average speed due to a sole Swiftness license.

Machinist [Fran > Basch > Ashe > Vaan > Balthier > Penelo]
Uses guns and light armor. Slowest attack charge time. Weapon damage doesn't scale with stat gains. Provides assorted Time Magic. Doesn't draw from any stats.

Monk [Vaan > Ashe > Fran > Penelo > Balthier > Basch]
Uses poles and light armor. Average damage. Excellent health and decent evasion. Provides physical breaks. Provides curative and protective magic in late game. Draws from STR for damage but needs MAG for White Magic.

Red Mage [Ashe > Penelo > Fran > Vaan > Balthier > Basch]
Uses maces, shields and mystic armor. Moderate physical damage. Provides wide assortment of White and Black Magic. Provides exclusive access to Arcane Magic. Draws from MAG for damage (plus STR if you choose Greatswords through Espers).

Samurai / Mononofu [Ashe > Vaan > Penelo > Fran > Basch > Balthier]
Uses katanas, mystic armor and Genji gear. Highest comboability via katanas. Provides good [random] Black Magic through Shades of Black. Draws from STR + MAG for damage.

Time Mage [Ashe > Fran > Vaan > Basch > Balthier > Penelo]
Uses bowguns and heavy armor. Average damage and high speed. Provides status effects through special ammo. Provides complete access to Time Magic. Provides magical breaks through Espers. Draws from STR for damage.

Uhlan [Ashe > Penelo > Vaan > Fran > Basch > Balthier]
Uses spears and heavy armor. Excellent physical damage. Provides physical breaks through Espers. Provides limited and poor access to Black Magic. Low magic damage. Draws from STR for damage.

White Mage [Vaan > Balthier > Fran > Basch > Ashe > Penelo]
Uses rods and mystic armor. Excellent damage against the (prominent) Undead type. Best defensive spell-casting.

Ashe, Penelo and Fran all have innate Cure. Vaan, Balthier and Fran have innate Steal. Basch has innate Libra. Vaan and Basch have the highest STR and HP, Ashe the highest MAG and Fran the highest VIT. With all of that in mind, a familiar pattern to prioritize picks for each job is generally as follows:

Steal and HP on tank / healer > > High-tier curative magic if no White Mage > Cure on non-White Mage > STR on physical damage > MAG or HP depending on job

Steal takes precedence over Cure since, in most setups, other curative options open up as the game progresses. Wearability of Heavy Armor (or Genji, in the case of the Samurai) means eventually guaranteed 99 STR for every character except for Fran and Penelo as Samurai. Similarly, wearing Mystic Armor translate as 99 MAG in endgame. For Samurai, MAG becomes the tiebreaker because of the reliance of early-game Shades of Black plus the added damage katanas draw from it, whereas Monk and Knight benefit from the added healing it provides. Lastly, HP makes an important contribution on the naturally less sturdy jobs like White and Black Mage.

Singling them out on a case-by-case basis, out of all the jobs, Machinist and Time Mage are arguably the weakest. Machinist's main flaw is that guns don't draw from any stat to calculate damage: a huge advantage in Weak Mode games; a huge disadvantage in a normal game. On top of that, the tediously long charging times makes them a hard job to sell. Comparatively, the Time Mage is a lot more viable although still restricted in utility: Time Magic in general is not as useful in IZJS as it was in previous games. Time Mages are a good alternative if you want a bit more physical-based / supportive role instead of the spell slinging Red/Black/White mages.

For the physical jobs, there are two approaches to damage output. Jobs like Uhlan or Knight might have very high single-hit damage, while jobs like Samurai or Hunter favor comboability. The chances for a combo to happen are built into each individual weapon, thus some endgame weapons have a comparatively much higher chance than others. The bottom line is that higher numbers at any one point in the game do not equal higher DPS in a job vs. job scenario. Jobs that start out as mediocre physical damage dealers, might turn out to be lawn-mowers in the mid-to-late game.

Also keep in mind gearing, considering that Genji gloves radically enhance combat capabilities for Samurais, Breakers and (less effectively) Knights. Accessories too can drastically alter some of the aspects of certain jobs. It's important that you have a mental map of how gear is going to get distributed in your team beforehand, given that some valuable pieces come in limited amounts and might leave some members in your team underperforming in suboptimal garments.

DonkeyPunchJr made a fantastic and comprehensive Job Combinations Guide and FAQ guide over an GameFAQs.

Excerpt:

::God-tier combinations::.

These are the combos that add up to far more than the sum of their parts - so powerful they're practically broken.

Hunter/Breaker: Hunter's ninja swords are one of the best weapons to use with Genji Gloves, and Hunter/Breaker is arguably the best way to do so. This combination gives you 3x swiftness, a decent ranged weapon (hand bomb), all 4 breaks, Genji gear, high strength and HP, and ninja swords.

Hunter/Samurai: Not as strong as Hunter/Breaker but has one huge advantage - this is the only combination that allows for Genji Gloves + Yagyu Darkblade (Dark element weapon) + Black Robes (which boost Dark damage by 50%). In other words, this is THE ultimate Yiazmat killer. You can also easily heal any teammate with dark-absorbing gear by attacking them!

Hunter/White Mage: a nearly invincible healer/tank hybrid. High HP, shields and Main Gauche (a dagger that gives you a whopping 50 evasion) combine with access to all the buff/healing spells to make this the best tank in the game. Even better, you can use the Drain spell to damage enemies while healing yourself.

Black Mage/Monk: perhaps the ultimate offensive magic user. Monk upgrades your Black Mage with 3x swiftness, tons of HP, and access to White Magick 9-13. Being able to exploit Holy weakness is a huge advantage, and the best staff (Staff of the Magi) boosts Holy damage by 50%. This combo also has excellent physical strength, which especially comes in handy earlier in the game before you get all the really good offensive spells.

Black Mage/Red Mage: Another contender for the best offensive mage. Red Mage gets the most powerful elemental spell in the game: Ardor. Unfortunately he gets no fire-boosing gear to make the best of it. This combo lets you use the Flame Staff to boost Ardor by 50%. Oil + Ardor + Flame Staff makes for the highest damage move in the game. A good selection of healing and buffs on top of it.

Samurai/Knight: The syngergy here is incredible. Samurai's katanas do damage based on both strength and magic. Samurai has very high magic power, along with the magic-boosting mystic armor, but has just mediocre strength. Knight has excellent strength and strength-boosting heavy armor, so this combo will greatly increase katana damage. But it gets better. Knight unlocks a bunch of excellent White Magicks, but has lousy magic power. Samurai's magic ability will make those spells far more effective. What's more, this is the only combo in the game that allows White Robes (50% damage boost for Holy element) + Excalibur (Holy elemental sword) + 3x swiftness, making you the ultimate undead slayer.

Samurai/Monk: Similar to the Samurai/Knight combo, this combines Samurai's high magic power with Monk's strength (highest in the game) to greatly boost katana damage. Monk can unlock White Magick 9-13, which benefit from Samurai's excellent magic power.

White Mage/Machinist: This is a nice upgrade for your healer. Machinist gives you lots of HP, 3x swiftness, eventual access to Hastega, and guns (which do fixed damge regardless of your stats, making them ideal for a weak healer-type character). Guns give you a way of doing some decent damage during downtime from healing/buffing. What's more, you can equip Dark Shot + Black Robes to boost their damage by 50% AND heal allies with dark-absorbing gear. Just be sure to set up your gambits so you don't heal any dark-absorbing enemies. If you want to use guns, this is the best combo to do so.

Knight/Time Mage: Time Mage gives the slow Knight 3x swiftness, a ranged weapon (Bowguns), and some decent magic power to make the best of his White Magick. Plus Time Magick, of course. This combo makes for a great attacker with lots of support abilities.

.::Other great combinations::.

Not as absurdly powerful as the above, but still potentially very useful in the context of a party.

Time Mage/Monk: Similar to Knight/Time Mage. Only reason it's not in the "God-tier" category is because you can only unlock his White Magicks once, and Samurai and Black Mage are better contenders for that.

Archer/Red Mage: Archer gets the fire-boosting Burning Bow to boost Red Mage's Ardor spell. You also get 3x swiftness and all the item lores. Overall this isn't as powerful as the Black Mage/Red Mage combo, but it's a good choice if you already have a Black Mage/Monk and you don't want to double up on the Black Mage job.

Uhlan/Time Mage: A great heavy attacker/support character similar to Knight/Time Mage above, but with no healing abilities.

Knight/Archer: Knight benefits from the 3x swiftness and ranged weapon, Archer benefits from the high strength. Not as good as Knight/Time Mage, but decent if you've given Time Mage to someone else and you don't want to double up on jobs.

Uhlan/Archer: for the same reason as Knight/Archer.

White Mage/Time Mage: The ultimate healer/support character. Great if you want to dedicate one character to full-time healing and buffing.

Samurai/Uhlan: katana damage benefits from Uhlan's high strength and heavy armor. Uhlan's Holy Lance benefits from access to holy-boosting White Robes.

Samurai/Breaker: again, katana damage benefits from high strength and heavy armor. Great combination if you want a katana user with all the breaks. You also get hand bombs for hitting flying enemies - a nice benefit for Samurai, whose only ranged attack is Shades of Black (which frankly stinks compared to a proper ranged weapon).

Samurai/Time Mage: upgrade your Samurai with heavy armor, Time Magicks, and a ranged weapon.

Here are a few things to keep in mind when combining jobs and building a party:

- "breaks" - the abilities that lower enemy strength/defense/magic/magic defense - work on all enemies now. These abilities (Addle, Shear, Wither, Expose) are extremely useful for cutting the more powerful enemies down to size. Make sure you have access to all of them.

- Late game, combo damage using Genji Gloves dominates when it comes to physical attacks. You can get two Genji Gloves, so you should try to create two really great Genji Glove users to go with them. The weapons with the highest combo rate (by far) are poles, ninja swords, and katanas. The three jobs that get Genji Gear are Samurai, Knight, and Breaker.

- Males have the best combo speed with the high-combo rate weapons, so you will almost certainly want to make your two Genji Gloves users males.

- The "spell queue" is gone. The PS2 versions of FF XII limited the number of spell effects that could be displayed on screen at once, so when casting, you'd have to sit there and wait your turn for it to cast. No longer! Now you can cast high-level magic like a maniac, so offensive mages should be a lot more powerful.

- In general it's best to try and combine fast/light jobs with slow/strong jobs. Combos like Hunter/Archer may sound logical, but they gain practicaly nothing from each other.

- These jobs were all originally designed to stand on their own. So there is really no such thing as a bad combination, just a sub-optimal one. Even the worst combos will be very strong.

::Party suggestions::.

For those who insist on using every job once, it's hard to get more optimal than these:
Breaker/Hunter
White Mage/Machinist
Samurai/Knight
Black Mage/Monk
Time Mage/Uhlan
Red Mage/Archer

or

Breaker/Hunter
White Mage/Machinist
Samurai/Monk
Knight/Time Mage
Red Mage/Black Mage
Archer/Uhlan

If you just want to optimize the heck out of your party and don't care about using every job:
Samurai/Knight
Hunter/Breaker (or Samurai/Hunter if you want a Yiazmat killer)
White Mage/Machinist
Black Mage/Monk
Black Mage/Red Mage
Uhlan/Time Mage

If you want an uber-powerful yet balanced 3-man team:
Knight/Samurai
Red Mage/Black Mage
Time Mage/White Mage

or

Hunter/Breaker
Black Mage/Monk
Time Mage/White Mage

If you want a 3-man team that focuses on extreme physical damage plus tons of healing abilities:
Knight/Samurai
Monk/Samurai
White Mage/Time Mage

I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to the old forum or not (and I can provide a direct link if we can), but Kensuke kindly made a updated version to DonkeyPunchJr's guide, which is an excellent quick reference if you're looking for ideas.

Kensuke's original post:
I thought it would be fun to write a small guide to compliment this one from GFaqs a lot of people here seem to be using. That guide is a bit older now and since then new amazing combinations have been found (mainly Shikari/Red Mage). I put most combinations under characters so you can mix and match your party more easily.

Vaan – Can pull off any job thanks to high stats everywhere. A lot of people like him as Shikari though for 'canon' reasons.
Shikari/Foebreaker – DPS (genji gloves) + Breaks. Big con is that it has no magic (therefore suits Bash and Balthier better).
Shikari/White Mage – Nearly invincible tank with healing.
Shikari/Red Mage – Tank+Black Magic+support spells. Jack of all trades and mostly great at them all (makes for an amazing 'leader character'). Penelo and Ashe are also great with this one.
Pretty much any job combination (can use any of the ones below)

Balthier – Best as a katana user, but a lot of people like him as Machinist.
Machinist/White Mage – Healer/support that uses gun on downtime (better used by others because Balthier isn't a great mage).
Machinist/Uhlan – Gunner that can hit all weaknesses and is able to dish out big damage.
Shikari/Foebreaker – See Vaan list above.
Bushi job (see below).

Basch – Best as a katana user, but a lot of people like him as Uhlan (he's fastest with spears too).
Uhlan/Archer – Can use both jobs very effectively, gives a ranged option + use of many item lores.
Shikari/Foebreaker – See Vaan list above.
Bushi job (see below)

Ashe – Has the best magic stat in the game, but can also work with physical jobs because she also has decent strength.
Knight/Time Mage – Healing (with espers) + Time Magic + decent damage. Makes good use of her stats.
Uhlan/Time Mage – Decent with spears and can use that time magic effectively.

Ashe/Penelo can both do these jobs very well. Fran can do them too, but not as great.
Black Mage/Monk – All HP lores making your Mage tanky + ultimate Holy spell. Only con is that the 16 battle lores Monk has mostly go to waste.
Black Mage/Archer – Access to all item lores for emergency support + some extra HP lores.
Black Mage/Machinist – Same benefits as archer with a few less item lores. Access to some late game time magic.
White Mage/Time Mage – Ultimate support character, but perhaps not enough gambit slots to use it efficiently.
Black Mage/Red Mage – Ultimate Ardor (fire) spell, but a lot of overlap and only 2 swiftness.

Fran – Probably best as a damage dealer with poles (she's the fastest with that weapon), but a lot of people like her as a Red Mage and Archer for canon reasons.
Red Mage/Archer – Good utility for most of the game and an endgame combo with burning bow+ardor.
Red Mage/Machinist – Effective user of measures, allowing for amazing evasion. Access to Dark Shot + Black Robe combo.
Monk/Foebreaker – Allows you to use Kanya+Genji Gloves, nearly as strong as the Bushi alternative (you can have both though).

Bushi gets the strongest weapon in the game (Kumbha), which makes it the best DPS class. There are lots of useful combinations with it. All of them are best used with Bash, Balthier and Vaan. Ashe can do well too with the ones that use magic.
Bushi/Knight – Allows the Bushi to use some healing spells. Heavy Armor + 10 battle lores. Access to strong Excalibur combo.
Bushi/Uhlan – Very strong in terms of DPS because of Heavy Armor + 13 battle lores.
Bushi/Monk – The strongest one with in terms of DPS with 16 battle lores and access to Heavy Armors through an Esper. Allows Bushi to use Curaja + great support spells.
Bushi/Foebreaker – Breaks of course, but also Heavy Armor + 12 battle lores.
Bushi/Shikari – Ultimate Yiazmat killer, but besides that not as great.

Whatever you pick, another thing to keep in mind is that you get two Genji Gloves in this game. That's the equipment that allows you to do combo attacks for insane physical damage in the endgame. Only Bushi, Knight and Foebreaker have access to the Genji license. Besides that you want a weapon with a good combo rate. Kumbha (katana) is the best one for that, followed closely by Kanya (pole). Vrscika (hammer) and Mesa (ninja blade) are also good. It's just something to keep in mind while dividing up jobs. Monk for example could use a subjob with a genji license to use the Kanya efficiently.

There are a lot of other decent combinations, but I just tried to focus of some of the better ones. Keep in mind you can finish the endgame with literally any combination and that you should pick whatever you think would be fun. Still, here are some combinations with bad synergy you should probably avoid: Machinist/Archer, Machinist/Time Mage, Samurai/White Mage, Black Mage/White Mage, Knight/White Mage and Foebreaker/Uhlan, Knight/Red Mage.

Tezmata from r/FinalFantasyXII generously helped users on the subreddit pick out Esper/Quickening combinations for job classes, and there is an incredible wealth of information there if you're overwhelmed by what to pick.

A now deleted user on r/FinalFantasyXII gave examples of optimized party compositions, which was a great reference. The link talks about using mages, not wasting your knight, maximizing speed, and gives further class combination examples than the excerpt I've given here.

Excerpt:
Rule 5: Experimentation

Our 15 optimized party compositions are (each including BLM/MNK and RBM/ARC):

BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/BUS, TBM/UHL, BRK/SHI, WHM/MCH
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/BUS, TBM/UHL, BRK/MCH, WHM/SHI
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/BUS, TBM/WHM, BRK/SHI, UHL/MCH
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/BUS, TBM/WHM, UHL/SHI, BRK/MCH
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/MCH, BRK/BUS, WHM/SHI, TBM/UHL
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/MCH, BRK/BUS, WHM/TIM, SHI/UHL
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/MCH, BRK/SHI, BUS/UHL, TBM/WHM
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/SHI, TBM/UHL, BUS/BRK, WHM/MCH
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/SHI, TBM/WHM, BUS/BRK, UHL/MCH
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/SHI, TBM/WHM, UHL/BUS, BRK/MCH
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/SHI, TBM/BUS, UHL/WHM, MCH/BRK
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/TBM, UHL/BUS, WHM/SHI, BRK/MCH
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/TBM, UHL/BUS, WHM/MCH, BRK/SHI
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/TBM, UHL/MCH, BUS/BRK, SHI/WHM
BLM/MNK, RBM/ARC, KNI/TBM, UHL/SHI, BUS/BRK, WHM/MCH

These are quite likely the 15 most objectively powerful parties, if you were able to crunch numbers and rank parties across a number of baseline valuations (max swiftness, combined magick/attack power, average damage output, etc.). These all follow very basic rules of maximizing each class's strengths:

BUS - strongest melee class; boost strength w/ lore and armor

SHI - second strongest melee class and most easily broken; boost strength w/ lore and armor, add genji gloves or black robes where possible

UHL/KNI - boost speed w/ swiftness, boost magick if possible for spell arsenal, genji gloves and mystic armor are gravy

BRK - boost speed w/ swiftness, pair with higher accuracy weapons for breaks

MCH - find a use for guns; free dark damage/healing or perfect breaks (I've further italicized the pairings with KNI and UHL where it's underutilized)

TBM - either boost a secondary mage's magick or pair with WHM for more consistent time magick (although this is the all-around worst class, it does happen to pair better with KNI/ UHL than MCH does).

None of these are bad parties, and all are quite likely to be objectively in the top 15 optimized parties. Especially those that pair MCH with something sensible like WHM or BRK instead of KNI or UHL, which narrows the focus to only 9 parties. Or 12, if you think giving a KNI a ranged weapon helps with flyers.

Again, all of the above is less necessary with the current version of TZA, due to being able to change job classes, TZA's lower difficulty in comparison to the original game, and the potential to level up a lot quicker due to the speed settings. Regardless, I thought it could be beneficial for anyone who might feel overwhelmed with where to start, or for users who might be interested in creating a more optimized party.

A huge thank you you to all the users on the various forums for their hard work and time spent on their posts, I hope it was okay to share/link to them here.

Last edited:

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Should be noted that some of that info is outdated, most notably Shikari / Foebreaker was revealed to be a pretty trash combination. Black Mage / Monk kind of fell off as well, but it's still a good combo.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
What's a good combo with Foebreaker?

Depends really, especially with job switching now on the table.

If you grind for an early Vrscika, just pair it with anything that gives it Swiftness 3. Later, you can use it with Monk for Genji Gloves and Heavy Armor on your Kanya user (requires Ultima for Swiftness 2 and 3). It makes a great tank paired with White Mage, but ONLY if you value the Break technicks or need to fit it into a 12-job run, otherwise Shikari is probably better.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Depends really, especially with job switching now on the table.

If you grind for an early Vrscika, just pair it with anything that gives it Swiftness 3. Later, you can use it with Monk for Genji Gloves and Heavy Armor on your Kanya user (requires Ultima for Swiftness 2 and 3). It makes a great tank paired with White Mage, but ONLY if you value the Break technicks or need to fit it into a 12-job run, otherwise Shikari is probably better.
Alright thanks that was informative

All three hunts kicked my ass, I might invest more in my black mage and wreck some mayhem with stronger spells

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I like the Gambit system, but I really wish there was an "and" function for programming conditions--I keep thinking of these cool strategies that I could use, but the conditions are just a little too limited to make it work.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I like the Gambit system, but I really wish there was an "and" function for programming conditions--I keep thinking of these cool strategies that I could use, but the conditions are just a little too limited to make it work.
I think that's what "buying" additional Gambits on the License board does. It basically lets you add more but I do agree I wish there was something that would put two actions within the same priority.

In any case, I simply alternate between Defence (Heal ally at less than 70 percent) and Offense (Target lowest HP opponent) as I make my way down the list, or prioritize all of my "Maintenance" commands on top as the AI sorts its way down the Gambit list (meaning to say, it will skip the top Gambits that do not meet conditions, such as having party members at full health not triggering the "Ally: HP at < 70%" Gambit).

I'd say stick your life-and-death Gambits on top, and any special attacks you'd like to perform at the bottom (so you won't waste MP).

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Just got Basch, love this games music!

Already messing up the classes with characters but trying to do it very different from my first play through all those years ago.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
So this is my first time playing this game and I'm blown away. I'm only 4 hours in (just returned to Rabanastre after prison). There's something about a new Final Fantasy that is unparalleled. I lived Tactics Advance and I'm fanboying over all of the Ivalice races in 3d.

Looking forward to getting more gambits to set up some interesting strats.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If these features hit the PS4 version I'll jump in again ASAP. FFXII was my 2017 GOTY and most played game. Its the best FF game out there imo.

He is better than most squaresoft protags (squall, ff9-tail guy, tidus, sora etc)

He is just.. there and kind of poinless in the story

Yes, Vaan isn't that terrible. He looks dumb, but he's not a crybaby or emo or anything. Not for long anyway. He doesn't put himself up front at all.

Its just that in the story his importance gets diminished rather soon. Penelo is even more useless. But Vaan is a bit of an observer. FFXII utilizes an ensemble cast of sorts.

Last edited:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The worst thing about Vaan was his sickly fake abs from the original game. Now that is has been fixed, there is very little to hate on. I've always liked him, he is way more important than people think and is lowkey one of the best characters to fight with. He also had a really difficult life. Can't say I've ever understood the hate, he is basically just Final Fantasy version of Aladdin.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm not port begging, just curious if there's any indication that any of the system level QOL improvements will be coming to the PS4 version sometime down the line or not.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, that's a really good point, too - I can edit that into my post. My Basch was a Shikari/Foebreaker, and I didn't love it. I'm looking forward to trying out Vaan as a Red Mage/Shikari, especially since Cuchulainn has really good node unlocks on both job boards.

ETA: Also, I thoroughly approve of a Miss Vanjie icon in an FFXII thread. We have been blessed.

Last edited:

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I like the gambit system, but also don't like the gambit system at the same time. I wish you could add a sort of "unless" modifier to some of them. I want Balthier to steal stuff, but I only want him to steal right at the beginning of the fight. But there doesn't seem to be any way to manipulate things so that the AI only does things "sometimes". The closest thing I can seem to do is steal at 100% health, but then he just moves to the next enemy and does nothing but steal until that enemy gets hit. I need a "do once" modifier.

I'm already having cold sweats thinking about how to program black mages to not dump their MP pool in 10 seconds.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's a really good point, too - I can edit that into my post. My Basch was a Shikari/Foebreaker, and I didn't love it. I'm looking forward to trying out Vaan as a Red Mage/Shikari, especially since Cuchulainn has really good node unlocks on both job boards.

ETA: Also, I thoroughly approve of a Miss Vanjie icon in an FFXII thread. We have been blessed.

That job combo popped up originally because it gives Shikari Heavy Armor and Genji Gloves, but once the math was done Germinas Boots are actually better for Ninja Sword damage anyway...whoops! One of the Mystic Armor jobs with Heavy Armor access through Espers (Red Battlemage or Black Mage) is best for pure damage and they also give that character something to do besides auto-attack. (White Mage works great, too, you just lose the STR from Heavy Armor in your damage setup)

Miss Vanjie...Miss Vanjie...Miss...Vaaaanjie.

I'm already having cold sweats thinking about how to program black mages to not dump their MP pool in 10 seconds.

Unlock all the Channeling and MP passives for your mages and MP is rarely an issue!

Mjolnir

Alt account
Banned
May 2, 2019
Considering the fact that we were never certain if this game would ever get a HD release, I have to say that I am beyond thrilled that Square Enix put out a remaster across so many platforms. The game is definitely such a great FF entry.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ugh. Bought on Switch because I was expecting at least 720p in handheld. Once again we have to deal with this blurry mess. Getting sick of these blurry ass games on Switch.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way to disable the HUD, or at least resize it, is there? It can get pretty busy at times.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Bought on Switch because I was expecting at least 720p in handheld. Once again we have to deal with this blurry mess. Getting sick of these blurry ass games on Switch.
There is a way actually. Homebrew + GPU OC (460 Mhz). The battery life is going to take a (in my opinion negligible) hit, though.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Did you even watch the video? They talk about how impressive the port is, how it definitely isn't "a blurry mess," and go so far as to recommend it if the viewer isn't interested in 60fps.

Still looking great in handheld for me. Only "problem" is the joy-con's design making the constant switching between analog and d-pad a bit crampy with big hands.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands was the same recently... UK is getting the shaft on a few things these days...

I'm UK too and I ended up importing from Canada

Just turned up in mail today and installing right now. Surprised I didn't pay any customs tax

mW9lrbU.jpg

kfeBkHZ.jpg

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Did you even watch the video? They talk about how impressive the port is, how it definitely isn't "a blurry mess," and go so far as to recommend it if the viewer isn't interested in 60fps.

Still looking great in handheld for me. Only "problem" is the joy-con's design making the constant switching between analog and d-pad a bit crampy with big hands.

It's not a blurry mess but it is pretty blurry to the point where it's noticeable.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I like the gambit system, but also don't like the gambit system at the same time. I wish you could add a sort of "unless" modifier to some of them. I want Balthier to steal stuff, but I only want him to steal right at the beginning of the fight. But there doesn't seem to be any way to manipulate things so that the AI only does things "sometimes". The closest thing I can seem to do is steal at 100% health, but then he just moves to the next enemy and does nothing but steal until that enemy gets hit. I need a "do once" modifier.

What I do is:

Foe: Health at 100% = Steal
Foe: Health at 20% = Poach

And then, with another character:

Foe: Health at 100% = Attack
Foe: nearest = Attack

By doing this you shoukd never have a character stuck repeating the same action over and over again.