Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
But he said no mecha....

2c42291c2c7f528e-600x338.jpg

That's a Gundam!

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
If they just got somebody new to be the art director, anything would be fine. I don't think it's sci-fi fantasy or mechs that are the issue, but that they seem to have gotten themselves into a rut aesthetically. Also a strong story/world to build the aesthetic around.

Guildenstern

Oct 29, 2017
Matsuno is on good terms with the current management, however he would not be the director (maybe Ito), but as a freelancer on the story.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
People are talking about pulling in the old crew/writers... but how about some completely new fresh faced people? Nintendo has shown that younger teams are quite good at shaking up formulas. Sure you still need some senior staff to reign them in from insanity, but I really think they should be looking for a younger fantasy author who's willing to mess with the formula more than someone who's just going to make Final Fantasy 9-2.

People are talking about pulling in the old crew/writers... but how about some completely new fresh faced people? Nintendo has shown that younger teams are quite good at shaking up formulas. Sure you still need some senior staff to reign them in from insanity, but I really think they should be looking for a younger fantasy author who's willing to mess with the formula more than someone who's just going to make Final Fantasy 9-2.

This promote new blood.

Tai Yasue is pretty much the director for KH3 and did massive work on it I imagine he will be leading KH4.

Koozek can tell you who is the co director for FF7 Remake

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol People asking for square to give yoshida a big budget and crew for ff16... how about they give him a big ass budget and crew for 14 for starters

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
He's pretty clearly talking about the games where Nomura did the art (VII, VIII, less so X, definitely the XIII trilogy, absolutely XV) as those tend to lean sci-fi rather than just having airships and Magitek Armor in a largely medieval setting.

Most of the time Nomura does only character designs and in the case of XIII, his involvement was getting direction from Toriyama and then drawing the characters. He also didn't design all of them. I believe Snow is not his design, neither eas the NORA team. The art direction and design actually comes from someone else, like for XII & XIII it was Isamu Kamikokuryo. XV was Tusku Naora, who also did VIII. Nomura's influence on the FF series is often overstated, especially when it comes to the PS2 era and beyond.

Aug 27, 2018
Can we just get Yoshida on the next single-player Final Fantasy game? FFXIV is the best FF game since like...10? (In my opinion obviously)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a silly thing to get hung up on. All FF games have had plenty of futuristic technology.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is he set to direct XVI?

There are indicators that his Business Division is either making the next FF or making a new AAA game, based on them increasing hiring and some key personnel from XIV not working in the newer expansions. Honestly I think we need new directors, new FF or not. I always say this in threads like that but for those asking for Ito or Matsuno what makes you think either of them is suitable for managing AAA game development in 2019? The former hasn't done anything of note since 2006 and the latter was overwhelmed by AAA production back in 2004/2005. I don't think they're qualified to be directors, making co directers or for Matsuno to write and Ito to design the battle system, but not to manage AAA game development.

There are indicators that his Business Division is either making the next FF or making a new AAA game, based on them increasing hiring and some key personnel from XIV not working in the newer expansions. Honestly I think we need new directors, new FF or not. I always say this in threads like that but for those asking for Ito or Matsuno what makes you think either of them is suitable for managing AAA game development in 2019? The former hasn't done anything of note since 2006 and the latter was overwhelmed by AAA production back in 2004/2005. I don't think they're qualified to be directors, making co directers or for Matsuno to write and Ito to design the battle system, but not to manage AAA game development.

Luckily it seems like the directors of Heavansward will be the directors of FF16

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
People just say names they know because they don't know who else to ask for.

I think the mainline series is in dire need of some new blood, though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a silly thing to get hung up on. All FF games have had plenty of futuristic technology.
They did, but the first six games had at least some medieval fantasy trappings. There was a blend of sci-fi and fantasy. I would like that again, especially with the big budgets SE gives mainline FF games. This game will also be a next gen title so it will look really good.

Of the recent mainline numbered non-MMO games, only IX, has that hybrid fantasy/sci-fi feel.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Luckily it seems like the directors of Heavansward will be the directors of FF16

It does seem like it. Or a new IP perhaps.
People just say names they know because they don't know who else to ask for.

I think the mainline series is in dire need of some new blood, though.

Yes. I think SE needs to groom new blood, especially with how mobile centric Japan is. They need to groom talent.

Or that they loved the games that those names were behind, and want more of that!...

The sooner one accepts that we won't be getting the older games as they are the sooner we will be happier 😓
We'll probably never be getting a Kitase directed game, nor any games from Ito.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Once again. 9 is not the example to use - it involves alien planets, a spaceship, lasers, a mech, a story about aliens from a planet assimilating souls from another via advanced technology to extend their lifespan, genetically modified race, etc.

FF2 is a good example of a break from high tech fantasy. (Not 4, that also had aliens, spaceships, traveling to the moon, robot towers, tanks, etc).

I did not mean it as "I want them to make one like 9 again" I mean, I want them to take a break from the future fantasy visuals again, like 9 was during its time.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Square is doing well enough squandering the scenario and script in their solo entries.
FF is now mostly about selfies with your mates!

(Thank god for Yoshi-P and XIV...)

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I think FFVI's style of steampunk was kind of the perfect blend of fantasy and some tech. Combine that with the game's overall mood being somewhat melancholy and it worked the best of most any of the games IMO.

I'm definitely over full on lasers and high-tech sci-fi though, or even just "modern day tech" really.

Oct 25, 2017
II, III, and IX are the only FF games that don't have mechs.
People seem to forget that.
Even then, those games have advanced airships like Ark, The Dreadnaught, and The Nautilus.

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Besides the comment on mechs, which seems more like a joke anyway, most Final Fantasy games, even recent ones, have been more "straightfoward fantasy." In the last 20 years, only XIII and XV have had more modern technology.

I like the level of technology they've gone with for XII and XIV though.
Nah, Square is doing well enough squandering the scenario and script in their solo entries.
FF is now mostly about selfies with your mates!

(Thank god for Yoshi-P and XIV...)
XIV has a selfie cam tho.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I remember arguing with you about potential mechs in Monolith's next game and you seemed to want pure fantasy.

In fact I expected to see your approving post as I scrolled down :P

Final Fantasy has always been a mixture of fantasy and tech, it's important to the franchise to at least do something like that. Otherwise it's just a way more expensive Dragon Quest.

Monolith on the other hand is creating a new IP and they SHOULD make it different from the Xenoblade games.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
He said it in the spur of the moment because of how he feels about the game he is currently working on, I don't think he is making any specific commentary other then what he would like to see in a different game. As for me Final Fantasy has always been to me about stories who weren't afraid to blend the differences between technology and magic. Each entry approached this theme differently or added elements. But you could always tell there was a historical 'time' in which the game took place despite elements of higher technology that were shown much later in the game. Its why I hate the disingenuous "Final Fantasy always had high end technology." Final Fantasy always 'eventually' had high end technology. FFVII, FFVIII, FFXIII and definitely FFXV and even the current game he is working on, FFXIV, have all had a theater of modern or future technology ingrained into the start of the games. Aesthetically you could place them either in modern or future time periods or a blend (Steampunk FFVI, FFXIV).

I would like a FF game to either be a return to medieval aesthetic or maybe even something new, like how FFXII had a more roman/Mediterranean aesthetic despite the advanced technology. I think it would be cool to have pre colonial African aesthetic, hell I think a colonial/renaisance feel would be kinda neat as the back drop (FF Skies of Arcadia :D). Again this is only how the game starts, how it evolves from that should be up to the director and writers.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly while I would play and probably enjoy it. I like my Sci-fi FF or more technologically advance FF more. I do feel like XII was in a good place and is still my favorite FF

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I like mechs really. I think FF at it's best is when there's a fusion of futuristic/weird tech and magic/fantasy elements.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
I would like to see this, and FF settting pre FF VI would be nice, Plaing KH3's Corona level was amaing to me! Would love to see towns like that in square's next FF or next JRPG.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nah. Give me a space exploration Final Fantasy. That way we can get all kinds of different types of planets to visit.