• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Edit: This will be made available on August 11th, 2020 to coincide with the release of the 5.3 patch. It will apply to all Free Trial accounts.

unknown.png

This is absolutely insane.

Last edited:

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That is ludicrously generous. As much time, if not more, than you'd sink into a massive full length JRPG with just as good a story. Amazing stuff

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty huge. Tons of quality content for free right there.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, Heavensward is so good and you get it for free basically, and this is where I stopped right before the last few quests and before Stormblood released.
Maybe I'll be able to play for free since I don't own the other expansions lmao.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Incase you're unaware, that is both the entirety of A Realm Reborn and Heavensward for free. Everything up to right before Stormblood. There is ZERO reason to not hop in. You get to experience one of the best Final Fantasy stories out there for free.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the races and jobs from HW.

This is basically not a free trial anymore, is basically making ARR and HW free to play.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Repeating it here: If you consider yourself a FF fan at all and still don't try XIV with this update to the free trial, you're not a real FF fan. This is fucking huge. A Realm Reborn & Heavensward...for FREE. Heavensward is where FFXIV finds its identity and the devs get into their groove; by itself, Heavensward is a fantastic FF experience.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
And to add, this will be the reworked version of ARR, with reduced fetch-quests etc, so absolutely there has never been a better time to start this game (i.e. from when this patch drops :p)

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
My friends keep using the monthly subscription as an excuse to not try this game, hoping this and the ARR changes finally get them on board.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If i didnt beat heavensward can i play the game without subbing or does this apply to only new/accs that never subbed?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
lol this is pretty much where I stopped, right after finishing base Heavemsward.

Oct 26, 2017
This feels like a good idea, as it stands the game doesn't really start until after 50 when you can start doing bigger raids and stuff. I'm happy to see them moving the cap up some more.

Heavensward is 5 years old at this point, too.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
If i didnt beat heavensward can i play the game without subbing or does this apply to only new/accs that never subbed?
Doubtful. Once you buy the game your account gets flagged as a normal account, I.e. need sub to play. I doubt that will change with this trial expansion, it didn't last time they expanded the trial.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
There is really no excuse to not hop in. A Realm Reborn is being completely revamped. You get to experience the game up to the end of the Heavensward Expansion for no price at all.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I'd like to try it but a few of questions

1 is this time? Like do I have a certain amount of time to sign up or can I do it whenever
2 how much content can be solo`d ? I always like to go through the learning process alone or maybe with just a friend or 2.
3. Is this offer on ps4?
Finally 4 . If it is on ps4, does it have KB/M support?
Thanks!

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So I played like 10 hours of this game.
Before the free trial.
And when they announced it, I thought I could jump on without a subscription.

But it said I wasn't eligible and need to pay monthly.

Is that still the case?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
That is ludicrously generous. As much time, if not more, than you'd sink into a massive full length JRPG with just as good a story. Amazing stuff

Got to disagree there to temper the expectations of newcomers: A Realm Reborn's story is rather barebones and takes absolutely FOREVER to make even the slightly advancements.

When people talk about this game's great story, they talk about Heavensward and beyond. I would advise anyone thinking about this to wait until they patched ARR to be more streamlined, which they are working on now. In it's current, original form it is dozens upon dozens of hours of often senseless grind.

EDIT: Apparently this is also the patch that will introduce said revamped version of the game? Well, that does sound great then!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Aren't there a lot of restrictions with the trial? I thought you couldn't use the marketboard, chat with other players, join a FC, or use party finder on the trial?

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1 is this time? Like do I have a certain amount of time to sign up or can I do it whenever
2 how much content can be solo`d ? I always like to go through the learning process alone or maybe with just a friend or 2.
3. Is this offer on ps4?

1 Nope, You can sign up whenever to the Trial and theres no Timelimit.
2 Theres Dungeons every so often Required in the story. But theres a "Matchmaking" system so you pretty much always find a group to clear them.
3 Trials are on PS4 too
4 Yes.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

3. Is this offer on ps4?
Thanks!

1) There is no time limit. This starts August 11th
2) Dungeons and Trials require a group and the game does that for you. It's never that hard but you can be solo most of the time.
3) Yes
4) I believe so

Kida

Oct 27, 2017

3. Is this offer on ps4?
Thanks!
1. No time limit.
2. There are group dungeons and trials throughout the story so you will need you match with others at times.
3. Yes it's on PS4.
4. Yes it supports kB/m

Edit: beaten several times xD

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Got to disagree there to temper the expectations of newcomers: A Realm Reborn's story is rather barebones and takes absolutely FOREVER to make even the slightly advancements.

When people talk about this game's great story, they talk about Heavensward and beyond. I would advise anyone thinking about this to wait until they patched ARR to be more streamlined, which they are working on now. In it's current, original form it is dozens upon dozens of hours of often senseless grind.

EDIT: Apparently this is also the patch that will introduce said revamped version of the game? Well, that does sound great then!

Seems like the ARR patch will come with this too.

edit: lol answered just when you edited.

Still, ARR is gonna still be bad, just shorter.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

3. Is this offer on ps4?
Thanks!
1. This is not timed, just don't buy anything on the account until you're ready to commit/after finishing the post-Heavensward main quests.
2. A lot of it, though dungeons and trials and raids cannot. The duty finder is quite helpful and the community is surprisingly welcoming for new players.
3. Yes, it's on every platform.
4. Yes, PS4 has keyboard and mouse support, but give the controller support a try. You might surprise yourself.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I was already interested in the free trial once the filler was trimmed, so this is just icing on the cake.

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, this is what the free trial should have been years ago. If they're going to have that slog of a quest chain in the base game, they should at least have made it free, so you can chip away at your own pace. I wonder how many people played the free trial, bought the full game, but only ever played for a single month because the game from lv30 up until Heavensward is so rough.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, I'm guessing my friend who got up to the start of Heavensward isn't qualified for this, correct? I almost feel like the "free" trial should just be what your account defaults to if you stop paying. Though I'm guessing maybe they don't want that due to events or something.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Fine Square, I'll bite. Is Crossplay still a thing between PC and PS4? Can I switch between PS4 and PC (is there cross progression?).

Anything else I should know before I start?

N2BearHugs

May 29, 2018
Heavensward is really damn good. I'm wrapping up the Dragonsong War stuff right now. And no salt that it's free for others now.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

3. Is this offer on ps4?
Thanks!

1) There's no time lmit, some social fuctions are limited but that's all
2) like 90% or something, but all story related content is easy enough that can be done blind with other players, the communitty understands that and usually is helpful enough for new players.
3) Yes
4) Yes, I think so.