• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Link

FFXIV Coins

Payment for service fees and optional item purchases will require FFXIV Coins, which can be purchased from the Microsoft Store. Please purchase FFXIV Coins before using the Mog Station or FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Store.

After purchasing FFXIV Coins from the Microsoft Store, log into the Xbox Series X|S version of FINAL FANTASY XIV to have the purchased FFXIV Coins credited to your Square Enix Account. You will not be able to use the purchased FFXIV Coins until you log in, so please be sure to log in after purchasing FFXIV Coins.

When Playing Only the Xbox Series X|S Version
Payments will be handled using FFXIV Coins only.

When Playing on Multiple Platforms

When accessing the Mog Station or FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Store from the Xbox Series X|S version of the application, payments will be handled using FFXIV Coins. In other cases, you can select additional payment methods on the website.

This premium currency seems to only be for xbox only players

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
...but why the double subscription requirement then?

Like I know the answer (Microsoft wants $$$$$ to a point of absurdity) but it's like, you're already getting a cut from their players through that...

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
They wouldn't just do this of their own accord for no reason, it's gotta be Microsoft messing things up.

YRPinPosition

Jun 4, 2022
Didn't we have Crystas on PC/PS3? I remember a currency with Mog Station, haven't played the game since finishing up Endwalker X.0

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
...but why the double subscription requirement then?

Like I know the answer (Microsoft wants $$$$$ to a point of absurdity) but it's like, you're already getting a cut from their players through that...

idk if this microsoft treatment to SE is any indication, no wonder ps got all of the exclusivity rights. But I will be very happy and getting back to ff14 if they implement regional pricing with this coins

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Means there will be a Microsoft Reward redemption at some point, finally a reason to use my points

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
But why? Doesn't this just makes things confusing? Having one currency for one console?

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Already been discussed but the more we find out about FFXIV Xbox version the less appealing it becomes.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
So Crysta for Xbox players? Also where does it say MS will get a cut?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So basically FFXIV Coins is basically Crysta for the Xbox version. Seems overcomplicated, but if you're playing on multiple platforms you can at least log on PC and just pay with Crysta or any other payment method as normal. And if you're playing on Xbox alone, FFXIV Coins is all you have.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
hey you wanted Call of duty and starfield on game pass. Gotta pay for those somehow.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this so bad? Never played this, but some of the comments make it sound like this is horrible.

It's mostly just needlessly overcomplicated and consumer unfriendly. Especially for a game that notoriously has issues with its account system being overcomplicated as is. There is already Crysta, and the standards for what all platforms besides the Non-Steam PC version should do were already set. Sony lets you pay on PlayStation directly. The Steam PC version lets you pay through Steam directly. Neither version has a platform specific currency, let alone locks you into it if you're only playing on that platform.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
So Crysta for Xbox players? Also where does it say MS will get a cut?

it doesnt, just a presumption because what other reason would xbox have its own currency?

yea lmao no reason this exists if not for ms cut

So basically FFXIV Coins is basically Crysta for the Xbox version. Seems overcomplicated, but if you're playing on multiple platforms you can at least log on PC and just pay with Crysta or any other payment method as normal. And if you're playing on Xbox alone, FFXIV Coins is all you have.

I think if you pay with crysta you can't play on xbox on that month, which felt alienating.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
From the player perspective it definitely isn't as simple/cost effective as the other console.

I have to assume there's some business contract nonsense that resulted in this being the agreed upon method of monetizing the game. Maybe Sony has some legacy contract with it since it's been so fucking long that FFXIV has been out in some capacity on the platform, maybe they have the cross-play 'tax' in effect but as part of it they agreed to not require PS+ during negotiations, idfk. Maybe MS doesn't get to have that (no leverage, or just not policy) so they made it require GPC and use a MS Store specific mtx as other revenue streams.

Coins seem whatever, but the requirement for GPC is a strange one vs. the competition. Has to be something there that explains it and it sucks for the newcomers to get kinda shafted after waiting this long to try it out.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I dunno, maybe MS's backend is weird? Does MS get a cut of Vbucks and other currencies from other games?
I honestly don't know.
If you sell mtx in the store, whoever is the platform holder gets a cut.

Coins seem whatever, but the requirement for GPC is a strange one vs. the competition. Has to be something there that explains it and it sucks for the newcomers to get kinda shafted after waiting this long to try it out.
The explanation can be as simple as, "pay me".

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, maybe MS's backend is weird? Does MS get a cut of Vbucks and other currencies from other games?
I honestly don't know.

Yup

Both Sony and MS do

Buy Fortnite - 1,000 V-Bucks | Xbox

Buy 1,000 Fortnite V-Bucks, the in-game currency that can be spent in Fortnite. You can purchase new customization items in the Shop for Fortnite Battle Royale, LEGO® Fortnite, Fortnite Festival or Rocket Racing, as well as additional content like this season's Battle Pass!

Fortnite - 1,000 V-Bucks

Buy 1,000 Fortnite V-Bucks, the in-game currency that can be spent in Fortnite. You can purchase new customization items in the Shop for Fortnite Battle Royale, LEGO® Fortnite, Fortnite Festival or Rocket Racing, as well as additional content like this seasons Battle Pass V-Bucks purchased from...

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Are there any other games that do this? Clearly Microsoft gets a cut from those, especially F2P games. If it were a Microsoft only issue, wouldn't all of those games have them too?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any other games that do this? Clearly Microsoft gets a cut from those, especially F2P games. If it were a Microsoft only issue, wouldn't all of those games have them too?
Destiny 2, you buy silver tied to the platform. And that game is on Xbox, PSN, Steam, Epic, and MS Store (counts separate from the Xbox version lol)

Silver has to be spent on the respective platform you purchased it. Currency is not cross-platform, but the item you purchase is available on all after that.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think if you pay with crysta you can't play on xbox on that month, which felt alienating.

There's no way they implemented something like that. That's a technical support nightmare for Square-Enix. Absolutely no company would agree to that.

Presumably, the option to pay with Crysta is simply locked unless another platform other than Xbox is detected upon the Square-Enix account AND you have logged into the MogStation from a platform other than the Xbox.

Feb 19, 2023
it doesnt, but what other reason would xbox have its own currency?

This screams like another Game Pass Ultimate perk that they seemingly do for all MMOs on Xbox.

AFAIK: BDO, PSO2, Neverwinter and ESO all have regular GPU perks on a consistent basis. With the FFXIV Starter Pack perk available before the game even officially launches, they seem to be following this trend with FFXIV.

However, something seems weird with this specific title out of so many others being the only one that requires Game Pass. It's so weird and out of place. Wonder if they have some sort of plan for Dawntrail on GP like they did for BDO?

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
This screams like another Game Pass Ultimate perk that they seemingly do for all MMOs on Xbox.

AFAIK: BDO, PSO2, Neverwinter and ESO all have regular GPU perks on a consistent basis. With the FFXIV Starter Pack perk available before the game even officially launches, they seem to be following this trend with FFXIV.

However, something seems weird with this specific title out of so many others being the only one that requires Game Pass. It's so weird and out of place. Wonder if they have some sort of plan for Dawntrail on GP like they did for BDO?

Getting Dawntrail on GamePass would be amazing.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
There's no way they implemented something like that. That's a technical support nightmare for Square-Enix. Absolutely no company would agree to that.

Presumably, the option to pay with Crysta is simply locked unless another platform other than Xbox is detected upon the Square-Enix account AND you have logged into the MogStation from a platform other than the Xbox.

ooooh I agree I think this is likely the case, its less restricting. xbox players could just login and do the purchase from mogstation.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ooooh I agree I think this is likely the case, its less restricting. xbox players could just login and do the purchase from mogstation.

Well yes. It is likely the case because that's what the FAQ says happens.

I think the only question that remains is if FFXIV Coins are the same 1:1 ratio as Crysta (where 1000 Crysta equals $10, for example) or if they have a slightly different ratio to account for Microsoft's cut of the transaction. I would hope it is the same, or else who would buy the Xbox version with the higher cost for a sub + requirement of Xbox Game Pass on top of it if they had a choice?

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

Genshin Impact does this with Genesis crystals (buyable currency) and battle pass specifically on PSN, purchases work across PC and phone

If you buy the battle pass on PS you can only claim premium rewards on PS and if you buy on PC you can't use genesis crystals or BP on PS. There's also a weapon that is more powerful only when playing on PS which is totally braindead. Luckily it is not very good anyways.

As someone who plays both on PC and PS it is definitely a minor annoyance.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Shoulda left well enough alone, should be happy they got the people they do already and not put up weird roadblocks. Just makes the other versions look more enticing to start on rather than playing on the console fans bought from you.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Why is this so bad? Never played this, but some of the comments make it sound like this is horrible.

It's not horrible, it's just a little annoying and weird. They have basically introduced a whole new currency only usable on Xbox, and I imagine if you play cross platform it's just a lot of playing around. It's not terrible, just a weird roadblock.