• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally cleared Costlemark dungeon. I had to do the room with the 3 red giants + snake lady again but then figured out the correct path and made it to the boss, where Ramuh basically one-shotted it for me lol.
Then I got armiger unleashed, which I am about to unleash on some hunt bosses :)

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Well after spending a whole day trying to get the game to work on my PC I finally got it running sort of, even with most settings at low it still looks good. Tthere's a lot of freezing and stutters going on, I'm not going to touch the mod as of yet as that messed everything up before and I couldn't use Ansel, had to re-download the whole game. But for now it's okay and I can at least run around and take pictures, the Ansel tool is really nice, shame it gets rid of the post process effects though, not sure how to fix that, for example the bloom when fighting Ifrit is gone when Ansel loads up, same with the AA if not downsampling. But anyway, looking forward to an eventual PC upgrade later this year but for now at least I can take some pics. :)

ffxvbeheomqvt.jpg

ffxvarxdotc.jpg

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Bunch of PC Ansel shots from around the forum. They're all resized down to 1080p and chucked on imgur - (Sorry, I'm aware of the quality hit on both of these; just wanted an ez link to showcase some PC IQ that's also mobile-friendly. I'm so bad and lazy I forgot to even make note of who took each screenshot so feel free to send me hate mail (they're mostly from this and the general PC screenshot thread))

02SaGiE.jpg

1yKubLM.jpg

RMoND4D.jpg

5hwvcAJ.jpg

QIpUL2l.jpg

sTVRyg7.jpg

9PnhZOz.jpg

q4v7bbN.jpg

BQRgD4f.jpg

mXzc5jd.jpg

liyOyP3.jpg

XjlwEQM.jpg

BA3KS2A.jpg

ja1TrfY.jpg

edit: There's a few really good dungeon/late-game ones that I omitted because spoilers, etc. Stuck to locations heavily shown in trailers, etc.

yeah i'm aware square enix trailers spoil everything lol
Well after spending a whole day trying to get the game to work on my PC I finally got it running sort of, even with most settings at low it still looks good. Tthere's a lot of freezing and stutters going on, I'm not going to touch the mod as of yet as that messed everything up before and I couldn't use Ansel, had to re-download the whole game. But for now it's okay and I can at least run around and take pictures, the Ansel tool is really nice, shame it gets rid of the post process effects though, not sure how to fix that, for example the bloom when fighting Ifrit is gone when Ansel loads up, same with the AA if not downsampling. But anyway, looking forward to an eventual PC upgrade later this year but for now at least I can take some pics. :)

ffxvbeheomqvt.jpg

ffxvarxdotc.jpg
Badass!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have 4 ongoing at the moment.

A Better Engine Blade II, Auto Crossbow, Bioblaster, and Circular Saw.

You gave Cid the ingredients for all four of those at once? I've heard that Cid can bug out if you give him multiple weapons to upgrade at once. Try going back and talking to him once, then go back and do a few hunts (two or three), then rest at the RV at Hammerhead.

It took me a really long time to get him to finish the Drain Lance II upgrade, but just doing hunts and resting eventually fixed it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You gave Cid the ingredients for all four of those at once? I've heard that Cid can bug out if you give him multiple weapons to upgrade at once. Try going back and talking to him once, then go back and do a few hunts (two or three), then rest at the RV at Hammerhead.

It took me a really long time to get him to finish the Drain Lance II upgrade, but just doing hunts and resting eventually fixed it.

Well I just got to Chapter 4, so I'm hoping maybe will reset it.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow there's a lot of post-game content. Even more than regular story content it almost seems like.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

ffxvbeheomqvt.jpg

ffxvarxdotc.jpg
Awesome news! Ansel has been really cool but also pretty unpredictable to use. During the Ifrit fight, the shots wool look pixelated and lack post-processing effects before capture but then would look fine in the saved picture.

25882856637_4d5c046cdb_k.jpg

40753683401_3c354a3172_k.jpg

Other times it would give me these weird tiles that didn't show in-game and ruin some shots.

25905112347_a2783a3a6a_o.jpg

40776107731_5ec10601fa_o.jpg

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
People weren't exaggerating when they said the game fell off a cliff after riding the boat, Xenogears disc 2 100 times worse.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Bunch of PC Ansel shots from around the forum. They're all resized down to 1080p and chucked on imgur - (Sorry, I'm aware of the quality hit on both of these; just wanted an ez link to showcase some PC IQ that's also mobile-friendly. I'm so bad and lazy I forgot to even make note of who took each screenshot so feel free to send me hate mail (they're mostly from this and the general PC screenshot thread))

02SaGiE.jpg

1yKubLM.jpg

RMoND4D.jpg

5hwvcAJ.jpg

QIpUL2l.jpg

sTVRyg7.jpg

9PnhZOz.jpg

q4v7bbN.jpg

BQRgD4f.jpg

mXzc5jd.jpg

liyOyP3.jpg

XjlwEQM.jpg

BA3KS2A.jpg

ja1TrfY.jpg

edit: There's a few really good dungeon/late-game ones that I omitted because spoilers, etc. Stuck to locations heavily shown in trailers, etc.

I'm glad you enjoy our shots from the thread! Game is beautiful, technically and also regarding the artstyle.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
People weren't exaggerating when they said the game fell off a cliff after riding the boat, Xenogears disc 2 100 times worse.
Well, I'd like to look at it this way: there's as much open world stuff as you could possibly want, and there are also quality narrative-driven chapters on top of that. It's the best of two worlds, really. This game is the closest thing to the fabled "complete package" I have ever seen, which is ironic given the criticism it's been getting. Then again, it has come a long long way since launch. In its current state, though, I can't find anything missing.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Love your shots in this thread Ishiro

Great shots.

Wish AMD had an Ansel equivalent. All I got are some in-game ones at 720p.

ffxvs201803190045284.png

ffxvs201803190044501.png

While Ansel is great there should be a photomode built into the game itself, but with PC though hopefully someone creates a freecam mod, one where you can pause the action as well so at least there's some kind of photomode in there.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Wow there's a lot of post-game content. Even more than regular story content it almost seems like.
Yay. Got Ultima Blade right before
going to Altissia

I am a sucker for post-game dungeons and superbosses. This sounds great!
Hehehe, you guys are in for a surprise: there's a very special post-game dungeon that I hope you didn't spoiler yourself on yet. After you beat the game you can get an upgrade for you car to fly, that way you can reach the dungeon. Here's a guide to reach it; don't watch anything on the dungeon itself, I want you to be suprised :D

FFXV Regalia secret dungeon Pitioss entrance

You'll first have to unlock the Regalia Type-F. Once that is done, go to the Verinas Mart outpost in Ravatogh, near the giant volcano in the south-western corner of the map. Take off in the flying car, and head to the tiny landing strip in the north. It's marked with a yellow line on your map. Save your progress before you begin – if you mess up the landing, you'll have to load the game.

ffxv-secret-dungeon-location-1024x581.jpg

secret-landing-strip-final-fantasy-xv-1024x581.jpg

You'll need to slow down as much as possible. Keep a low altitude and hold L2/LT all the time. As soon as you're past the cliff, dive and press X/A immediately. After you land, follow the path to the north. The dungeon entrance is in a building on the hill on the right – you've probably seen it while flying. There are a bunch of strong enemies here, like a lvl 62 Royalisk and a lvl 85 Malbodoom. You don't have to fight them if you're not in the mood – just run past them.

ffxv-regalia-secret-dungeon-1024x581.jpg

FFXV Pitioss Secret Dungeon entrance seen in the distance​

Climb the stairs, then jump across the gap. The rest of your team will have to stay behind. Only Noctis is allowed inside. Jump through the hole in the fence and press the giant, glowing button on the wall. A lift will take you down into the dungeon.

how-to-reach-secret-dungeon-with-regalia-type-f-ffxv-1024x581.jpg

ffxv-flying-car-dungeon-entrance-1024x581.jpg

WARNING: SAVE MANUALLY AS SOON AS YOU BEAT THE DUNGEON AND EXITED BEFORE YOU TRY FLYING BACK OUT OF THE SECRET AREA!!! IF YOU DON'T AND CRASH YOUR CAR TRYING TO FLY OUT OF THERE YOU'LL GET A GAME OVER AND WILL LOSE THE LAST 3-4 HOURS OF PROGRESS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SAVE AUTOMATICALLY IN THE DUNGEON!!!

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

While Ansel is great there should be a photomode built into the game itself, but with PC though hopefully someone creates a freecam mod, one where you can pause the action as well so at least there's some kind of photomode in there.

Yeah, freecam would be great. Would like to the adjust time of day too.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

02SaGiE.jpg

1yKubLM.jpg

RMoND4D.jpg

5hwvcAJ.jpg

QIpUL2l.jpg

sTVRyg7.jpg

9PnhZOz.jpg

q4v7bbN.jpg

BQRgD4f.jpg

mXzc5jd.jpg

liyOyP3.jpg

XjlwEQM.jpg

BA3KS2A.jpg

ja1TrfY.jpg

qqyCJ6y.png

Falk

Oct 26, 2017

I mean if anything, I wish there was a record/playback feature that then allowed you to rerun it at 0.25x or whatever for high-FPS footage capture, but that's the old-school CoD junkie in me speaking.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Damn. That's bad.

Guess he didn't realize how much mileage they could get out of scanning his face.

Hard to believe he got shafted that hard though, square was clearly throwing money at Kingsglaive.

Man, i just dont understand at all where this comes from....All the best potential in FFXV was shown in the last half of the game.

The set pieces, the use of immersion, the music...it's the "Final Fantasy" half of the game lol

If the game started with that kind of content I think the reception would have been much, much better.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Hehehe, you guys are in for a surprise: there's a very special post-game dungeon that I hope you didn't spoiler yourself on yet. After you beat the game you can get an upgrade for you car to fly, that way you can reach the dungeon. Here's a guide to reach it; don't watch anything on the dungeon itself, I want you to be suprised :D

WARNING: SAVE MANUALLY AS SOON AS YOU BEAT THE DUNGEON AND EXITED BEFORE YOU TRY FLYING BACK OUT OF THE SECRET AREA!!! IF YOU DON'T AND CRASH YOUR CAR TRYING TO FLY OUT OF THERE YOU'LL GET A GAME OVER AND WILL LOSE THE LAST 3-4 HOURS OF PROGRESS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SAVE AUTOMATICALLY IN THE DUNGEON!!!
I saw that yellow line next to the volcano and think there has to be something. I am glad it turns out that it does! Thanks for the advice and I will refer to your post after beating the game.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The visual variety is actually incredible. Busy cities, huge barren landscapes, dense forrests, lovely rivers, ice caves, old ruins etc. I've not even finished half of the game and I'm impressed how huge and varied the environments are. Really like the soundtrack as well.
Due to personal circumstances, I won't be able to play the game for at least 1.5 months, more likely 2 months (move to another city, starting a new job, living at our parents house, then move to our own house etc.). Sucks, because I'm really into the game. But hey, I see everything positively: I Hope there will be some good mods when I'll jump back in.

Laguna

Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
What's your favorite FF? I'm willing to bet the same writer had a lot "power" in it too.
Its IX, but even if Nojima is stated as the writter, I cannot notice his influence or his writting in this one. Maybe he stablished the world and the bases, but the main problem is that is so bad written and directed that it doenst feel like a compacted story. The dialogues are truly awfuls and Noctis personality is different in every scene. In the others Final Fantasy every was build organically, here every scene is disconnected from the previous one and to the next one.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
The visual variety is actually incredible. Busy cities, huge barren landscapes, dense forrests, lovely rivers, ice caves, old ruins etc. I've not even finished half of the game and I'm impressed how huge and varied the environments are. Really like the soundtrack as well.
Pre-release in 2016, Square Enix weren't showing off most of the game. Story cutscenes were rarely shown, with CG footage chosen instead. They only showed a few dungeons during trade shows, like the Marlboro Thickett dungeon or the cave with the high level Ronin.

It is such a joy, then, to load up to the game and see all these varied and gorgeous locations, dungeons, and environments. It was one of the best surprises about FFXV and I'm glad you got to experience this first hand too!

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I mean if anything, I wish there was a record/playback feature that then allowed you to rerun it at 0.25x or whatever for high-FPS footage capture, but that's the old-school CoD junkie in me speaking.
First thing I had a look for was if there was a trainer that had a slow motion option xD, most games I play on the PC such as Nier and Metal Gear Rising I play at half speed, it looks cool but also means I can speed it up later and have a consistent smooth framerate. Cheat Engine also has a speedhack option built in now which means I can do the same for FFXV, I'll probably end up playing most the game in slow motion. :D

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
i just finished the gladiolus one lol, it wasn't long and it's only an hour, i might just do the promptus one and leave ignis for later
Gladio's is the shortest, while Prompto and Ignis' DLCs are much longer with full game spoilers. At this point you're fine to play Prompto's but Ignis' outright has cutscenes from the ending in it. It's better for you to play it after you beat the game.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i just finished the gladiolus one lol, it wasn't long and it's only an hour, i might just do the promptus one and leave ignis for later
Prompto in theory is much longer than Gladio, considering there's a small open-world with one optional boss and some sides.
But sides are just the usual garbage you find in the main game, so skip all of them and just do the optional boss.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Due to personal circumstances, I won't be able to play the game for at least 1.5 months, more likely 2 months (move to another city, starting a new job, living at our parents house, then move to our own house etc.). Sucks, because I'm really into the game. But hey, I see everything positively: I Hope there will be some good mods when I'll jump back in.

I'm glad you like it and it sucks you can't play... but busy cities? Where? When?

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its IX, but even if Nojima is stated as the writter, I cannot notice his influence or his writting in this one. Maybe he stablished the world and the bases, but the main problem is that is so bad written and directed that it doenst feel like a compacted story. The dialogues are truly awfuls and Noctis personality is different in every scene. In the others Final Fantasy every was build organically, here every scene is disconnected from the previous one and to the next one.
You must love FFX-2.5 written by the Tensai Kazushige Nojima.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's the general opinion on the PC port? Does it run smoothly? How are load times, as bad as console? And, does it include all the extra episodes.

I beat the game already on PS4, but there was still a bunch of things left to do that I kinda gave up on for various reasons.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
GDC starts today. Hopefully they'll upload the FFXV talks quickly. Reminder:

Eos is Alive: The AI Systems of 'Final Fantasy XV'
Summit Speaker:
Youichiro Miyake (Lead AI Researcher, Square Enix)
Date: Monday, March 19

The AI of 'Final Fantasy XV', with its open world, variety of enemies, and 3 continuous NPC companions, was necessarily complex. Additionally, high level direction was needed to manage pacing and to make the game more exciting for the player in a battle, movement, and conversation. This lecture explains the 3 primary systems: Character AI, Meta-AI, and Navigation AI, and how they were used to allow for as much reuse as possible but also handle widely differing tasks while reducing the designer workload. The lecture also introduces a motion analysis system that enables a character to use space intelligently.

Walk Tall, My Friends: Giving Life to AI-Buddies in 'Final Fantasy XV'
Speaker:
Prasert "Sun" Prasertvithyakarn (Lead Game Designer, Square Enix)
Date: Thursday, March 22

Character design is usually misunderstood as a job limited to character artists or scenario writers. That's not true anymore in next generation open world games, where players spend 99% of the time playing and not watching cutscenes. For this reason, game designers at Square Enix now focus on character storytelling by AI, and how to actualize them for the player, instead of only setting the characters. However, the concept of character storytelling by AI is still new and challenging. Game design, AI architecture design, and emotional experience design call for different expertise, but are all needed to create a living, experience-engaging AI-buddy, especially in a big and complicated open world game such as 'Final Fantasy XV'. In this talk speaker Prasert "Sun" Prasertvithyakarn will share with how he and his team at Square Enix combined these three designs to bring their three AI-buddies Prompto, Gladiolus and Ignis to life, pioneering the field, and searching for new approaches for the next generation to come.

NVIDIA GameWorks Technologies in 'FINAL FANTASY XV', Behind the Scenes (Presented by NVIDIA)
Sponsor Speakers:
Masaya Takeshige (Senior Developer Technology Engineer, NVIDIA)
Evgeny Makarov (Senior Developer Technology Engineer, NVIDIA)
Date: Thursday, March 22

Improving visual fidelity in modern games is a challenging task and FINAL FANTASY XV was not an exception. Doing this requires detailed analysis of the game engine to come up with a list of technologies which would naturally fit into existing content. The existing game was already very high fidelity. With all the resources and excellent cooperation from Square Enix Business Division 2 we were ready to take risks and tried to utilize every single piece from GameWorks to make the fantasy become a bit more real.
------------

Here are the ones from last year for anyone interested:

'Final Fantasy': A Challenger Once Again

Epic AND Interactive Music in 'Final Fantasy XV'

Prompto's Facebook: How a Buddy-AI Auto-Snapshots Your Adventure in FFXV