• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Outlets are still testing the Windows Edition

RPG Site - 8/10

Ragequit.gr - 8.9/10

GameSpace - 9.5/10

ImpulseGamer - 9.9/10

mPO741v.png

Great result :)

Deserves to go even over 90 of Metacritic

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Yeah, I didn't either. Think my plan is to get the Complete Edition digitally for cheap next year and play the upcoming DLC at that point.

I took both the Royal Edition and the Windows Edition for my second run, and I'm very happy to have done it :) (then, if another version with other DLC will come out, I'll gladly do a third run with Final Fantasy XV)

PS: besides, I have a lot of fun with Comrades. But the best DLC are certainly those of Prompto and Ignis. (and knowing that the next will be made by the director of Episode Ignis, including Episode Ardyn, the Hype rises to incredible levels)

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Also yeah I don't think I'm gonna buy the Royal Pack. I'm not paying $15 for 4 boss fights and a scene with Luna
Yeah, I can't decide whether the "expansion" is worth it or not. On the one hand, the expanded Insomnia map is... not that good. Huge empty spaces, nothing interesting to look at (actually the red tint was starting to hurt my eyes) and awful tacked on sidequests (take pictures, infiltrate bases, find gems tags frogs batteries... really??? Have they learned nothing about sidequests???). However, the new cutscenes for all the new boss fights are quite the spectacle, and honestly needed, because what we got for a "final" boss in the base game was rather underwhelming. I was okay with my purchase since I got the PC version hoping to see some good mods in the future.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I didn't either. Think my plan is to get the Complete Edition digitally for cheap next year and play the upcoming DLC at that point.

Yeah I'll just replay it again when it's all said and done lol

Yeah, I can't decide whether the "expansion" is worth it or not. On the one hand, the expanded Insomnia map is... not that good. Huge empty spaces, nothing interesting to look at (actually the red tint was starting to hurt my eyes) and awful tacked on sidequests (take pictures, infiltrate bases, find gems tags frogs batteries... really??? Have they learned nothing about sidequests???). However, the new cutscenes for all the new boss fights are quite the spectacle, and honestly needed, because what we got for a "final" boss in the base game was rather underwhelming. I was okay with my purchase since I got the PC version hoping to see some good mods in the future.

By itself it absolutely isn't. Definitely a rip-off. idk what they were thinking with that price tag

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Great result :)

Deserves to go even over 90 of Metacritic
GameGrin - 9/10
Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition is the best way to experience this huge RPG and all of its main content released to date. With stunning visuals, impressive performance and hours upon hours of content PC gamers cannot go wrong with this title being in their collection. It may have a few issues here and there that carry over from the initial release but nothing that takes away from the experience being a truly PC one.
Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition is one of the best ports of a videogame to date. If you have yet to experience this landmark title then do so now.
9/10 - Excellent. Look out for this one.
;)

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I just finished the expansion. I think the side-quests were not very impressive. The extra-scenes were needed and were overall a good addition to the game. A few misses there still, even with the cut-scenes, but im glad I played it and the new-scenes are growing on me.

What I'm excited for is the fact that now that they've put together a map for Insomnia, they should create a day-light version that we can play around in as a prologue chapter, or perhaps a playable flash-back. It can't be too hard, could it?

Insomnia was the aesthetic that I was most looking forward to exploring when viewing all those old FFXV trailers, and lo! we ended up with virtually nothing from Insomnia. It hurts, it hurts.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Are there zero players on Comrades? Or is everyone sticking to private groups with buddies? I'm having a horrible time on a couple later defense missions. The AI is useless and the defense point takes so much passive damage that I can't beat it fast enough and it's really weighing me down.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ishida Bazztek guys, knowing the poster that XC2 thread was bait from the get go. No need to waste your time, we already lost LightEntite to it :/

I'm a weak minded fool, it's true

So, uhh

did they change Chapter 10? I do not remember the area being so big, or the foliage being so glowy and beautiful at night.

Also, the more I play through the Leviathan fight, the more I actually enjoy it. It's one of those things about FFXV that you just don't see elsewhere

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame spoilers with dlc question
since Tabata said the bros are still alive at the end, what are the chances we get some more bros content minus Noctis at some point ? I would pay for that expansion. ....

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Endgame spoilers with dlc question
since Tabata said the bros are still alive at the end, what are the chances we get some more bros content minus Noctis at some point ? I would pay for that expansion. ....

There wouldn't really be anything for them to do. The daemons are all gone, so there's no real threat anymore. People can actually go outside at night now.

Also Noctis is dead, the Lucis line ended, and the crystal is gone. The bros no longer have access to weapons/magic/powers.

I guess they could still hunt monsters, but...that might be difficult to do without the powers they've trained with for so long.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
There wouldn't really be anything for them to do. The daemons are all gone, so there's no real threat anymore. People can actually go outside at night now.

Also Noctis is dead, the Lucis line ended, and the crystal is gone. The bros no longer have access to weapons/magic/powers.

I guess they could still hunt monsters, but...that might be difficult to do without the powers they've trained with for so long.

the crystal is gone? Isn't that like the heart of the planet and/or the afterlife?

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the crystal is gone? Isn't that like the heart of the planet and/or the afterlife?

I don't know if it's physically gone, but it is useless at this point. Only the Lucis line could use its power, and they're all dead.

The crystal was apparently only given to humanity with the purpose of eventually cleansing the world of the starscourge. It's pretty much served its whole purpose now.

I assume the Six could appoint a new bloodline to serve in the place of the Lucis line, but as of the ending of FFXV, there's no real point.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's physically gone, but it is useless at this point. Only the Lucis line could use its power, and they're all dead.

The crystal was apparently only given to humanity with the purpose of eventually cleansing the world of the starscourge. It's pretty much served its whole purpose now.

I assume the Six could appoint a new bloodline to serve in the place of the Lucis line, but as of the ending of FFXV, there's no real point.
In comrades the glaives keep their powers because the old knights are awakened and don't require the lucis king, so they may be able to use that for them to keep their powers. Lots of enemies are just natural beasts in the world and they could have another nation rise to power or something. i think they could pull something from their butts to make it work lol

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017

Not so sure about that but i need to double check my lore facts.
Also i vote Ignis as the founder of the new line of Insomnia kings

haushinka

Dec 18, 2017
Does the game get less fetch quest like for side quests? Is there a quicker way to fast travel to avoid so much time in the car fetching all these items?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game get less fetch quest like for side quests? Is there a quicker way to fast travel to avoid so much time in the car fetching all these items?

Fast travel is in the car menu. When you tell it to take you to a destination it asks you if you want to fast travel instead.

And no, most of the sidequests are gonna feel fetch-questy or "go here, kill this". Some of them lead to dungeons or more substantial boss battles, but the bulk of the sidequests are more or less just diversions.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
In comrades the glaives keep their powers because the old knights are awakened and don't require the lucis king, so they may be able to use that for them to keep their powers. Lots of enemies are just natural beasts in the world and they could have another nation rise to power or something. i think they could pull something from their butts to make it work lol
You know, the whole lore about the Lucian powers still sometimes confuses me. The ring only works together with the crystal's powers and channels all dead kings' powers for the current king to use, right? The magic that Glaives and Regis can use (which Noctis for some reason can't?) comes exclusively from the crystal too, but the weapon-summoning and warp powers are inherent to the Lucian bloodline and have nothing to do with the crystal and ring, right? And is sharing those Lucian powers with non-Lucians only possible with the Crystal too? What did Luna activate in the royal tombs in chapter 9 that gave the Glaives their powers back and would they have gotten it even if Noctis was hypothetically dead or if the crystal was somehow destroyed?

Maybe the walking FFXV encylopedia Bazztek can help out with some of my questions? :D

In the car menu you can on the left select either your current quests' locations or parking spots you already passed to fast-travel to, or select "Map" in the car menu to manually select an outpost/town on the map to fast-travel to.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018

I too think the Crystal is lost.
(since he has channeled all the light of the world into Lucis's ring)

That said, the power of the ring, and consequently of the Crystal, both come from the power of the Light of the world, given in the ancient era to the first King of Lucis.
So, if we assume that their gift is something that they "created" and that it binds them to duties towards the world, I believe it is not impossible to recreate it in some way.
(but I have the impression that Bahamut and all the other Siderei want to be bound to "new" hypothetical duties towards the world of Eos)

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Unfortunately, quest structure is not one of FFXV's strong suits. They tend to be quite rudimentary, often telling you to go fetch this or kill that without much in the way of variation or narrative hooks. As for the fast travel thing, while you can't fast travel to quest locations, you can fast travel to any nearby landmarks and hoof it from there (though at the cost of 10 gil).

-

So I finally managed to grab Comrades and the Royal Edition and they're interesting to say the least.
I'm actually not that far into it, but coming across the Kingsglaive base and seeing Cor again was a treat, as was seeing the glaives break down in tears after seeing their hopes come to fruition after so many years (as questionably animated as that was lol). The calls from Cindy and Iris were also nice (although Iris never does get to have that last talk with Noctis T_T).

Comrades is pretty interesting. The character creator is much more robust than I was expecting; they give you a lot of granularity over a lot of features. I especially like the "ancestors" option, as it allows you to very quickly narrow down certain features that you desire for you glaive. I wouldn't mind seeing other games steal this feature.

I'm rather torn on the structure, however. I think it has a neat hook in expanding Lucis' power grid, which nets you various rewards, as well as giving you some meaningful decisions to make along the way. I do think it could use more in the way of auxiliary systems when it comes to progression. If you need to grind for more kW, you're pretty much forced into completing missions that you've already completed to do so. Repeating those missions isn't inherently bad, of course, but in other online games, repetition usually comes during the endgame or to net a(n) (optional) specific reward/item, with there being a main "route" to pursue irrespective of other activities. In Comrades, that main "route," as far as I'm aware, is that selfsame repetition. Admittedly, I'm only level 4 or so, but that structure seems unlikely to change (though I would love to be wrong).

Also, it seems to be pretty dead in quick play, but that could be because I'm low level and most people who are still invested are on to bigger and better things.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, given that
Luna activating the king powers for Noctis jump started the connection the Glaives have in using the power of the royal family, though it's only ever shown them using it a few months after Noctis gets sucked into the crystal after Noctis's powers were no longer jammed, it's likely that the Glaives weren't even aware that their powers had returned until a few months had passed anyway.

The reason Noctis can't use regular Magic like Regis and the Glaives is actually because of his Starscourge infection from his near death experience as a child, he can't use his full powers naturally like Regis can which is why Noctis has to rely on Elemancy too (I believe this is also stated in the FFXV Official Works book). The Glaives are also military trained in using the magic which is why they are able to wield it as well as Regis is, and since the Glaives are drawing the royal families magic, it's only once Noctis's connection to the other kings that Luna makes in ch9 happens that they can then use it again. When Noctis is unconscious in ch9 Luna also chants the healing prayer she says in an earlier cutscene of someone infected with the starscourge, so Luna essentially jump starts his King of King powers in a pinch for Noctis, which in turn reestablished a link to the royal families magic to the Glaives.

I believe that the power of the Ring and the Crystal are seperate, which is why Noctis is able to use the ring when he's blocked out from the Crystal during ch13, and why Nyx is also able to use it after his connection to Regis was severed and the Crystal taken outside of Insomnia, and which is also why in order for Noctis to perform the light of Providence he absorbs all of the Crystals Light into the ring, which in turn depletes the Crystal. The Ring of Lucii as the name suggests is a ring harbouring power of the Lucis line, as are the Royal Arms and their Tombs, and the Statues around Insomnia, while the Crystal is its own sentient entity with a will of its own.

Without a King to channel from the Glaives would no longer have powers once Noctis performs the light of Providence and dies, the same would go for the bros and their summoning of weapons, again much like in Ch13 and in Ep Prompto where they couldn't summon weapons because Noctis powers were jammed.

By the end there is no more Crystal, King or Ring, so the Glaives and Crownsguard have no more magic they can draw from to summon weapons or teleport or cast spells, they can't even use Elemancy to obtain more elements since only Noctis can draw out that power. Basically all that humanity has left is the Astral Shard in Lestallum for energy, the joint forces of the Crownsguard, Kingslgaive and Hunters had been taking out Daemons and corrupted wild monsters for a decade in a world of ruin, and since long before that the Hunters already had been taking out wild monsters for a long time without any powers, I don't know what kind of new threat could suddenly emerge once all the Daemons were eradicated and the scourge cleansed.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Vast majority of the fetch quests in this game are worth only EXP and Gil. You can safely skip them and not miss out on any actual gameplay content.

You don't need them for any special weapon or dungeon.

The only exception i can think of is the one from the guy in Lestallum who asks you to go murder strong bosses for weapons. Those are definitely worth doing, but they're essentially just Mobhunts in the form of a quest.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Well, given that
Luna activating the king powers for Noctis jump started the connection the Glaives have in using the power of the royal family, though it's only ever shown them using it a few months after Noctis gets sucked into the crystal after Noctis's powers were no longer jammed, it's likely that the Glaives weren't even aware that their powers had returned until a few months had passed anyway.

The reason Noctis can't use regular Magic like Regis and the Glaives is actually because of his Starscourge infection from his near death experience as a child, he can't use his full powers naturally like Regis can which is why Noctis has to rely on Elemancy too (I believe this is also stated in the FFXV Official Works book). The Glaives are also military trained in using the magic which is why they are able to wield it as well as Regis is, and since the Glaives are drawing the royal families magic, it's only once Noctis's connection to the other kings that Luna makes in ch9 happens that they can then use it again. When Noctis is unconscious in ch9 Luna also chants the healing prayer she says in an earlier cutscene of someone infected with the starscourge, so Luna essentially jump starts his King of King powers in a pinch for Noctis, which in turn reestablished a link to the royal families magic to the Glaives.

I believe that the power of the Ring and the Crystal are seperate, which is why Noctis is able to use the ring when he's blocked out from the Crystal during ch13, and why Nyx is also able to use it after his connection to Regis was severed and the Crystal taken outside of Insomnia, and which is also why in order for Noctis to perform the light of Providence he absorbs all of the Crystals Light into the ring, which in turn depletes the Crystal. The Ring of Lucii as the name suggests is a ring harbouring power of the Lucis line, as are the Royal Arms and their Tombs, and the Statues around Insomnia, while the Crystal is its own sentient entity with a will of its own.

Without a King to channel from the Glaives would no longer have powers once Noctis performs the light of Providence and dies, the same would go for the bros and their summoning of weapons, again much like in Ch13 and in Ep Prompto where they couldn't summon weapons because Noctis powers were jammed.

By the end there is no more Crystal, King or Ring, so the Glaives and Crownsguard have no more magic they can draw from to summon weapons or teleport or cast spells, they can't even use Elemancy to obtain more elements since only Noctis can draw out that power. Basically all that humanity has left is the Astral Shard in Lestallum for energy, the joint forces of the Crownsguard, Kingslgaive and Hunters had been taking out Daemons and corrupted wild monsters for a decade in a world of ruin, and since long before that the Hunters already had been taking out wild monsters for a long time without any powers, I don't know what kind of new threat could suddenly emerge once all the Daemons were eradicated and the scourge cleansed.

Great analysis :)

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just played the game again after being busy for a few days. Reclaimed the Regalia. I am always impressed every time I play how good the game looks on PC even at 1080p30...and how it is an improvement over base PS4.

Anyway, I wonder what kind of an update we will get this month.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok so im up to chapter 13 aka apparently the worse chapter in the game. im just curious when should i switch to 13 verse to and how do i do it without losing any of my progress that apparently happens when you attempt to go back to previous chapters.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
ok so im up to chapter 13 aka apparently the worse chapter in the game. im just curious when should i switch to 13 verse to and how do i do it without losing any of my progress that apparently happens when you attempt to go back to previous chapters.
I would play through normal Chapter 13 first, just to experience it (it's not that great but the patched version is somewhat tolerable if nothing else) and then do Verse 2 which unlocks after completing the game (you'll find it under the "Special" tab in the main menu). That's just my recommendation, though.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can access Verse 2 anytime from the main menu under 'special', no need to use chapter select. So, you can continue on as Noctis and play Verse 2 whenever you like from the main menu after completing the game. Since choosing it in the main game will make you skip over the middle part of Noctis' section.
Edit: Ninja'd. What the poster above me said too. ^^;

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I guess i'm the crazy one here who actually liked ch13.
A little bit of linearity felt good for a change imo.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would play through normal Chapter 13 first, just to experience it (it's not that great but the patched version is somewhat tolerable if nothing else) and then do Verse 2 which unlocks after completing the game (you'll find it under the "Special" tab in the main menu). That's just my recommendation, though.

You can access Verse 2 anytime from the main menu under 'special', no need to use chapter select. So, you can continue on as Noctis and play Verse 2 whenever you like from the main menu after completing the game. Since choosing it in the main game will make you skip over the middle part of Noctis' section.
Edit: Ninja'd. What the poster above me said too. ^^;
alright cool, thanks. I just got the sword, my god this chapter is boring af. im legit feeling sleepy

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finished ch13 a while ago. my god that was so dull, i shit you not that one chapter lowered my opinion of the game a bit.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I guess i'm the crazy one here who actually liked ch13.
A little bit of linearity felt good for a change imo.

Also I liked the cap.13 :)

It gives a lot of information, about history, characters, and the lore of the game.It is built in a perfect way for the situation at that time.
He also vaguely reminded me of the FFVII Shinra palace.