benzy

Oct 25, 2017
On details and asset quality though, I think he has a point. FFXIII CG isn't super detailed by todays standards, even while it still looks attractive. In general, FFXIII has a flashy art style that still holds up.

There's some better skin textures in XVI but the art style they went for in the XIII CG doesn't even look like they wanted skin pores, it's very smooth manequin-like. But even in terms of asset quality, the hair rendering alone is in a different league in the XIII pre-rendered CGs of PS3 era; visible poly banana billboards making the hair, much more flatly lit and shaded in XVI. John clarified he is arguing XVI has matched PS3 era CG, which I personally find to be a baffling comparison. XD

I would be stoked if the next FF graphically looks like this.

7rEBYDm.jpg

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
So after playing in english, japanese, and french, man they really fucked up the english version heh ?

Stuff like "you cock" takes me out so much and of course JP and FR the line is "Hugo !" ...
"You cock" is 500x the line "Hugo!" is what the hell lol

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So after playing in english, japanese, and french, man they really fucked up the english version heh ?

Stuff like "you cock" takes me out so much and of course JP and FR the line is "Hugo !" ...

Someone earlier in the thread (or maybe the main FF16 thread) said the German was actually closer to English, with that specific line, as well as most of the dialogue in the demo. Can look for post when not mobile

But if so, German seems to be based on English, and French based on Japanese.

EDIT: Found

Well I was curious, so I looked it up for german.

She calls him Großkotz which basically means guy talking big, decent translation from cock.

The rest is pretty much the same as the english dub.

Last edited:

FedEx Latte

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a crazy combat video on twitter I think from one of the Square Enix team but cant seem to find it. Anyone catch that today and able to link it to me please?

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
There's some better skin textures in XVI but the art style they went for in the XIII CG doesn't even look like they wanted skin pores, it's very smooth manequin-like. But even in terms of asset quality, the hair rendering alone is in a different league in the XIII pre-rendered CGs of PS3 era; visible poly banana billboards making the hair, much more flatly lit and shaded in XVI. John clarified he is arguing XVI has matched PS3 era CG, which I personally find to be a baffling comparison. XD

7rEBYDm.jpg
This is the biggest thing about FFVIIR trilogy that sucks — that BD1 is going to be completely occupied with remaking older games.

I wonder which art director can carry the look from VII/VIII/X/XV with Yusuke Naora gone, and seemingly not being related to any new FFs. Same with Kamikokuryo with FFXIII.

no disrespect at all to FF15, this game still looks fantastic
but FF16 literally uses ray-tracing, the things it does with its lighting, FF15 can't do
I was mainly talking about the real-time GI that was implemented in FFXV, which elevated the look of the game depending on the time of day. Ray tracing here can look better but overall the lighting itself is static in FFXVI (since it's stuck on a specific time of day depending on the story).

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

7rEBYDm.jpg

Well, yeah the hair rendering in general in FFXVI is not the best for sure. But I think the level of detail in general in some of those real time cutscenes in FFXVI is better than FFXIII CGI...The shortcomings are evident in the screen you posted.

Eitherway, at least in quality mode I really like the visual quality they achieved in FFXVI. Some of it does look CG like, and there are some crazy scenes even in the demo. like how seamless everything is as well.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Only two abilities per Eikon is so disappointing because I just don't see myself ever getting rid of the default ones the game gives you except for maybe the Phoenix spin attack thing. The Titan punch is too strong and it's too fun to use the Titan ground pound thing in the air for me to get rid of that.

I think cooldowns are short enough that as far as usage rate goes things should flow pretty well, but 6 out of potentially 24 or more is on the low side. I hope there is some kind of loadout system so more skills can see use per playthrough naturally.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My impossible dream is that a late game side quests (or new game plus) unlocks ability to map a third eikonic ability to r2+O...

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Yes... they really fucked up the primary version of the script... and not the other way around...

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I try to imagine what that line would be like just reading the game as a script with no voiceover and it would probably be pretty awkward that way, so I give credit to the VA of Benedikta giving it the right amount of playfulness to sell it.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
RT shadows and GI? Anyone know what the game is doing? Because those two are my only guesses.

Some volumetric lights are awesome too!

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yes... they really fucked up the primary version of the script... and not the other way around...

Yeah ? Who's writing the story ?

Cause all I can find is that they wanted english to be the base of the mocap so lip sync is perfect for that language. Not that English was the base of the script and then translated into japanese.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
After a parry, there is a damage modifier (I want to say 20% for regular damage but not sure, and it is quite a bit higher for will damage) for a brief duration. That gives a reason to do it instead of dodge counter, as dodge counter only gives you a shorter interrupt with no damage modifier. While the micro stagger from parry doesn't last long, combined with the slowdown you can fit a full basic string with magic burst in there plus a charged blade and end the sequence holding onto a charged magic that can be used both offensively and defensively (since it has some level of invincibility). Alternatively, you can have one of the longer duration skills for this particular situation too, such as gouge, so you can reliably get full potency off it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwpbQgpD2-0

I'm not 100% sure how damage modifier scales during stagger. Different hits have different values in adjusting it and I think it's also increasing passively with time. I think will power damage is the factor as skills that do more will power damage seems to scale it faster. I know that about 2 full basic strings with magic burst will get you to 1.5x, so one way is to do two strings into 2 fast damage skills (My second skill partially whiffed because i didn't do my strings fast enough, specifically the charge magic release is too slow both times).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApkWLVBpeuQ

Alternatively you can bank a bunch of skills for the burst window, but obviously that could cut into usage rate. I feel like (for normal mode at least) it is probably expected that half the damage should be done outside of normal, and half is in stagger, so building your loadout between skills for damage, skills for stagger/damage mod scaling, and possibly counter skills should add a good amount of variety. By default 2/2/1 is probably a good spot (with 1 free choice). The ratios can be adjusted for playstyle (faster stagger, more stagger state damage, more turn stealing with counters, more regular state damage, etc) from there, and any gap that's created due to those choices can just be filled with normal movesets (specifically more regular parry and optimized basic strings).

This is extremely preliminary. Without knowing exact cancel/recovery points of various moves and how certain animations interact with each other this is just going to be a starting point. I'm also making an assumption that the basic string is meant to be the bnb and making decisions around that right now, which might be entirely wrong (maybe charged blade/magic alternating spam is the way to go, as long you can take care of the charged magic pushback). It's hard to test in demo since move recovery frequently behave really differently between in combat and out of combat. Arena in the full game will be really helpful in figuring this stuff out, but as of now I think this is a good starting point for the game in terms of customization considerations.

Phoenix's dash, stinger, and several other action have significant recovery when outside of combat. I'm not sure what's the design goal of adding that recovery for specifically outside of combat.

I'm old enough to remember when this game was a brain dead button masher with no strategy, so this is quite a post to read after all those obviously very well-aged posts lol

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
People get too obsessed with the idea of an original vision to a script that they try to erase the contributions of others to that script.

We know how CBU3 works, their scripts are ultimately a collaborative effort between both the Japanese and English writers, they know about and want the differences.

Nothing has been "fucked up", both are equally legitimate scripts.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well third run on eikon was ... better. I dunno though I think I'd actually need that feature where you can tie different eikon abilities to other eikons to actually get a good feel for it. I think ideally I'd stay on titan most of the time for the block, with the titan counter ability and Heatwave as my 2 skills I want immediate access to and just use the other two eikons as stagger and damage bursts.

The windows for all the counters are a little on the generous side perhaps. Tbh combat outside of bosses I find a little dull since you can pretty much burst them down and then you're waiting on CD's again. Aiming for counters etc here seems a bit unproductive since the enemy aggression is pretty low so I'm getting through CD's fast here and left with the small combo and fire attack. Can mix it up a little by trying to drag some more aerial combat in etc.

If its gonna be like a 20 hour game or so I think I'll probably get on with the combat fine but if it's closer to the 40+ mark I think I'm probably gonna get a bored dealing with the fodder. If upgrading the abilities reduces the CD time though that could help alleviate it, didn't try upgrading any beyond the base level.

Getting closer to selling myself on the game at least. Even if the story and characters aren't for me I still wanna explore that desert area and will hopefully get a setup for combat I can gel with fully in the main game. Probably gonna keep doing one eikon run a night to see if I can get a bit closer to finding my setup.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
This game seems to be coming out far enough away from the debacle that was the final season of GOT for people to start wanting to see stories like that again , which makes sense with House of the Dragon being really popular too. The fact that its reminding people of the earlier seasons of GOT is a great thing for its potential success and reach.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
What strikes me the most in this demo is how they totally capture the pace and feel of a FF. It is hard to explain. Things are immediately engrossing and fast paced and spectacular but still manage to create more heartfelt moments.
In the jrpg space there is nothing quite like it.

yep that's how I felt. There's subtle moments of classic FF in there that hit my nostalgia bone. A lot of it reminded me of FF6 (maybe the setting and mood)

The characters and setting didn't feel as insufferable or emo like the last handful of FF's have been. haha

well DAMN. this explains a lot haha

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Another interesting thing to note about the Phoenix vs. Ifrit fight from a narrative angle:

Despite Joshua's presumed weakness and lack of confidence in himself, when he transforms and shakes it off, steps up to the plate immediately. He has full clarity and control over the Phoenix, with a clear goal in mind of protecting his kingdom as is his "duty." Clive, the so-called Shield who is hailed as a hero of Rosaria by nearly everyone, and who is physically stronger and agile than Josh in combat, doesn't even know what is going on with Ifrit which proceeds to destroy everything in a blind rage. It's an interesting reversal going on.
Love this observation. To add to this, even though Joshua questions his own ability and whether or not he deserves it, he never questions his duty, which is preserved through the transformation. Likewise, Clive was described as always searching for his role, and every time he tells Joshua he's his shield, there's always a hint that he doesn't fully believe or accept that. And that is also preserved.

What strikes me the most in this demo is how they totally capture the pace and feel of a FF. It is hard to explain. Things are immediately engrossing and fast paced and spectacular but still manage to create more heartfelt moments.
In the jrpg space there is nothing quite like it.
+1! I've had this on my mind all day from the "what makes a Final Fantasy" thread. Having played so many jrpgs in my time a Final Fantasy just hits differently. And I don't even like that many! It's a subtle, hard to grasp thing that goes beyond chocobos, moogles, crystals, and turn-based battles.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Well third run on eikon was ... better. I dunno though I think I'd actually need that feature where you can tie different eikon abilities to other eikons to actually get a good feel for it. I think ideally I'd stay on titan most of the time for the block, with the titan counter ability and Heatwave as my 2 skills I want immediate access to and just use the other two eikons as stagger and damage bursts.

The windows for all the counters are a little on the generous side perhaps. Tbh combat outside of bosses I find a little dull since you can pretty much burst them down and then you're waiting on CD's again. Aiming for counters etc here seems a bit unproductive since the enemy aggression is pretty low so I'm getting through CD's fast here and left with the small combo and fire attack. Can mix it up a little by trying to drag some more aerial combat in etc.

If its gonna be like a 20 hour game or so I think I'll probably get on with the combat fine but if it's closer to the 40+ mark I think I'm probably gonna get a bored dealing with the fodder. If upgrading the abilities reduces the CD time though that could help alleviate it, didn't try upgrading any beyond the base level.

Getting closer to selling myself on the game at least. Even if the story and characters aren't for me I still wanna explore that desert area and will hopefully get a setup for combat I can gel with fully in the main game. Probably gonna keep doing one eikon run a night to see if I can get a bit closer to finding my setup.

What you can do for counters outside of bosses is doing a taunt, the enemy who you target with that will then try to attack you as soon as he can. Doesn't make it more difficult but can give some variety. even though something to consider about the difficulty is that this is most likely the first dungeon in the game and you will only have access to phoenix at that point. While I assume the game will most likely stay on the easy side in the first play through I think it will be at least a little bit higher than the demo dungeon later.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
FFVIIR ran at locked 30fps in the PS4 and it had huge texture issues + worse lightning. wut lol. we literally got an expert saying it's amazing, how can we possibly try to disprove him lol

Yeah, I'm watching somebody play through FF7R again (the Intergrade version to boot) and it's an incredible achievement in graphics for the PS4 but people kinda recall to mind the extensively animated cutscenes with hand placed lights and some of the most detailed, highly rigged and expressive LOD0 models for the main characters and forget that a lot of the geometry, textures, and lighting during gameplay isn't anything to write home about in 2023. Folks should take a look at Cloud running some sidequests in Sector 5. Then take a look at all the incredible lighting and shadow work in most gameplay scenes of the FFXVI demo. You'll definitely see the march of technology.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What you can do for counters outside of bosses is doing a taunt, the enemy who you target with that will then try to attack you as soon as he can. Doesn't make it more difficult but can give some variety. even though something to consider about the difficulty is that this is most likely the first dungeon in the game and you will only have access to phoenix at that point. While I assume the game will most likely stay on the easy side in the first play through I think it will be at least a little bit higher than the demo dungeon later.
Oh I hadn't thought about taunt stupidly lol. I noticed it at the start of this run and tried it out without enemies to see if it was a dmc style taunt and saw it was more an aggro thing yet never actually got around to using it on the fodder lol. I'll give that a shot next time, should spice it up a bit. But yeah I'm thinking the harder stuff will be in hunts until we unlock hard mode of its going the same route as VIIR

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Love this observation. To add to this, even though Joshua questions his own ability and whether or not he deserves it, he never questions his duty, which is preserved through the transformation. Likewise, Clive was described as always searching for his role, and every time he tells Joshua he's his shield, there's always a hint that he doesn't fully believe or accept that. And that is also preserved.
Clive outright says that if he didn't have the level of swordsmanship that he does, no one would care about him, and certainly the way his mother treats him doesn't help. I think the title of Shield allows for an avenue of bonding with his brother whom I believe he loves unconditionally, but it does also give him a sense of identity against the life circumstances that have stripped him of that. So when Josh dies, he isn't just losing one of the few people who loves him for him, but also his own sense of self.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
Is there a good breakdown of the battle system? I went through the story section and the eikon fight and I just spammed square, triangle, circle and dodged a bunch.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Clive outright says that if he didn't have the level of swordsmanship that he does, no one would care about him, and certainly the way his mother treats him doesn't help. I think the title of Shield allows for an avenue of bonding with his brother whom I believe he loves unconditionally, but it does also give him a sense of identity against the life circumstances that have stripped him of that. So when Josh dies, he isn't just losing one of the few people who loves him for him, but also his own sense of self.
Absolutely. I'm not crazy when I say there has not been so much subtext in Final Fantasy before, right?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
pretty obvious (IMO) they scaled the graphics down a smidge to release a game in an acceptable state and without a string of delays or a 2025 release date or whenever

i think it's fine and passes as next gen. especially with the set pieces

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Finished the Eikonic Challenge, very impressed with combat even this early on.

Anyone have tips for more smooth target lock switching?

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a better demo I've played. Last 30 minutes were mind blowing, not sure how they pulled that off tech wise. Absolutely heart breaking too, I refuse to believe Joshua is dead. Their own mother did them in too? Just what the fuck.

Cannot wait for next week, dark fantasy FF is sooo good.

Feb 16, 2022
Woof. During the prompt for the "cinematic QTE" tutorial in the boss fight at the swamp, my PS5 halted the game and warns me that the console was running too hot. This is the first time I've ever seen that notice. Touching it, it seemed fine and just the normal amount of warm, but I didn't want to risk is and ended the demo right after the fight for now.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Absolutely. I'm not crazy when I say there has not been so much subtext in Final Fantasy before, right?

This game definitely feels like it has a rich meal of subtext to dig into but I also feel people tend to not bother reading FF games for subtext. Even some blatant moment to moment stuff.

It's driving me low-level nuts that nobody has commented on the best line in the FF7R2 trailer: the gang's discussing Sephiroth and Tifa asks why [ostensibly Sephiroth] disappeared and what has he even been doing for the last five years and then stares directly at Cloud. Ice cold, Teef.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thought I'd give this a go, haven't played an FF game properly in years but I might buy this one as I'm being pulled into the hype. With that said, here are my impressions.

What I like
  • I like the story, it's very intriguing and I like seeing all the typical Final Fantasy monsters and magic style stuff interwoven into a more traditional medieval setting.
  • I like the art direction overall. I enjoy the more muted colour pallete and I think the game and its special effects are pretty nice to look at.
  • I appreciated the characters and how they're written, for the most part.
  • I appreciate the UI design, it's quite easy to use and I like that they supported a free-cursor and d-pad navigation.
  • I like the lore mechanic where you can hold the touchpad and learn more about the characters and location.
  • The spectacle of the fights is excellent overall, I really enjoyed seeing the eikons fight.
What I dislike
  • The accessibility options aren't very good. There's no custom button remapping, no UI scaling aside subtitles, the audio visualiser seems like it would have very limited value as it doesn't communicate anything but 'sound is happening'. In many cases the sound might be the soundtrack, or it could be dialogue or actions, it feels like it would be hard to understand what it was communicating and even if you did, simply knowing a song is playing does not allow you to understand the tone.
  • I found the combat to be dull. I imagine it gets more interesting because all of the moves sort of cancel into one another and there's a lot that the player can do with that with more abilities and Eikons, but as it is it just seems simplistic to figure out your highest damage sequence and cycle it, there's nothing context dependent that changes the fight.
  • The enemies are boring to fight. The encounter design feels quite thoughtless, dodging ranges from easy to very easy so it does not really matter what they do you'll always evade and be fine.
  • There are long sequences with a lack of meaningful interactivity. The player never makes any meaningful choices.
  • Certain boss encounters are essentially 20 minute quick time events.
  • The script is quite clunky and unnatural at times.
  • The particle effects are a bit overboard during the major fights. There are a lot of shots that leave you sort of wondering what you're looking at. Especially in the Eikon fight where both Eikons are fire type.
  • The environments seriously lack detail. The castle spaces don't feel lived in, the swamp feels awfully generic and does not aesthetically reflect its history.
  • The games graphics are just okay. I think the character models look good but the environments aren't too strong, especially considering the lack of detail.
But I wouldn't say I had a bad time with it at all. The list might seem negative overall but I liked the story a lot, and really wanted to see what happened next. I think it's lacking in many areas but I think the story is very interesting and that's sufficient to carry it forward. Is seems unlikely it will be one of my favourite games because of how I found it middling in other areas, but it seems like it has potential to be very enjoyable all the same.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I think this might be the first Japanese game where the Japanese writing and dub are noticeably inferior to the English version. It's not even because it's bad, it just lacks the flair of certain lines that wouldn't even work if directly translated to Japanese.

Just some examples that I can recall immediately:

When Benedikta calls Hugo a cock, and they have that back and forth about him being her Lion. In Japanese she just calls him by his name, and there's no mention of lions or hare and such, he's just referring to himself as an Eikon and there's nothing particularly interesting about their dynamic.

There's no mention of Clive being the Shield to the Flame that is Joshua. The whole symbolism of Clive being Joshua's shield isn't there, instead they refer to him being Joshua's Knight, which just feels pretty mundane by comparison.

The line about if there weren't men like Clive to keep them safe her precious noble blood would have long since graced the gutter was so good. In Japanese it's a bog standard line about her noble blood being capable of protecting neither the land nor the people, doesn't even mention Clive.

When Joshua comes out of the banquet and they have the back and forth about Clive not liking the cakes and ale and Joshua not liking the vegetables--that's gone. Clive just says he doesn't like the raucous and Joshua says me too...

I'm sure there's more but I can't remember.

I get the same feeling I get when watching English movies with Japanese subtitles, so often the Japanese subs take such a direct approach to translation that a lot of what was actually said in English gets lost. It'd sound unnatural to try to convey every detail, but I still feel a little bummed about just how much gets lost along the way.

As for the voices, they are fine in Japanese, but pretty much exactly what you'd expect. The English really is just better, which is the first time I've ever felt that way about a JRPG.

I haven't gotten to play the FFXVI demo with Japanese voices yet, but it's fascinating to hear the differences. I do enjoy the flourishes! FFXII's localization is similar, in that to my understanding the Japanese version is a lot more straightforward, and the bestiary is more bland to read. I imagine FFT:WotL would be the same. And there's always FFVI from back in the day. For me, a good localization captures the intent of the original, but frames it in a way that sounds natural and appropriate for the language it is bring translated into. FFXVI is excellent thus far.

As an aside, it always rough when you've got a combo Japanese voices + dubtitles! My Japanese could definitely be better, but it's always annoying when they don't match.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The character models in Intergrade are comparable to XVI but it makes sense as both are PS5 games. I'd say I think XVI has more natural lighting but I prefer the more artistic touch of VIIR's lighting in its best moments. VIIR is inconsistent though with some day time scenes looking really rough or odd. It excelled in dark environments with neon lights and stuff.

The areas where XVI looks the most impressive over Intergrade to me is environmental geometry, textures, and scope. It also has better foliage than VIIR which looks worse than some PS3 games and I'm not being hyperbolic. The flowers in Aerith's garden were rough and you can see the same shitty ones in Rebirth's trailer.

Hair on main characters also generally looks better with less aliasing in XVI.

Anyways here are some examples of screenshots I took a while back.

FINAL-FANTASY-VII-REMAKE-20210611012637.png

FINAL-FANTASY-VII-REMAKE-20210612181635.png

FINAL-FANTASY-VII-REMAKE-20210617154759.png

FINAL-FANTASY-VII-REMAKE-20210617180439.png

I don't really expect Square to ever get its graphics crown back. They can't compete with first party studios on budget, staff, and time in the modern age so there will always be some inconsistencies you don't see with those studios. They do come damn close or surpass them in other ways though. VIIR's character models are amazing and XVI's spectacle boss fights are way more amazing to me than GoW Ragnarok's bosses - at least the small taste we've gotten.

edit: These were taken on perf mode which I believe runs around 1200-1440p.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I found the combat to be dull. I imagine it gets more interesting because all of the moves sort of cancel into one another and there's a lot that the player can do with that with more abilities and Eikons, but as it is it just seems simplistic to figure out your highest damage sequence and cycle it, there's nothing context dependent that changes the fight.
Did you play the Eikonic challenge? the game has a lot of complex combo patterns