Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, this game combat is almost exactly the same as God of war ragnarok, down to having 3 weapons (eikon in this case) with 2 cool down abilities, a lot of which overlap. God of war has a bit more options but it's basically the same excluding juggles in the air versus juggling on the ground.
It's really not. XVI is way more freeform in its combat and combo design than Ragnarok.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Decently far in. Haven't had gaming sessions like this in ages. I'm enjoying the game overall (combat gets super fun when you unlock Ramuh) and the story is very engaging so far but maaaaaan the side quests just plain suck. This is something that I hated with 7R too. There's a lot they could have done here with how fleshed out and deep the world is tbh. Genuinely jarring going from something like Cyberpunk recently to this.

The one aspect of this game that I feel has been tip-top from the very start has been the music. It's annoying to come off an amazing scene amplified by Soken's score only to look for a rip online and find nothing 😭

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone because I'm unironically enjoying the side quests of this game, lol.

Like many of them are very simple from a gameplay standpoint but I like their writing a lot.
I've just started but it seems like they are there just to give you some more lore. Like do a simple thing and get a little cutscene with some conversation that puts you a bit more into the world. That's fine with me. Reminds me of a higher budget Scarlet Nexus.

Smidig

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone experienced a bug with being unable to progress quests? I've had one quest that I cannot progress (with the message "quest progress is currently restricted") for like 5 hours now. I've done multiple story missions after getting it and nothing seems to unrestrict it. Quest is named Payback. Any ideas?

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
It's really not. XVI is way more freeform in its combat and combo design than Ragnarok.
The only free form thing is that charged magic and melee that can be buffered, while gow doesn't have buffering it also has a similar thing with charging frost and fire on triangle allowing you to do a charged knock up, basic attack and ranged attack. You can also use if anywhere in a combo. Pretty similar to me

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone because I'm unironically enjoying the side quests of this game, lol.

Like many of them are very simple from a gameplay standpoint but I like their writing a lot.
I'm definitely enjoying the money. 😊

Plus thanks to how fast the map loads and the reasonable distances between objectives side questing is super quick and easy.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Ragnarok is about stacking buffs and swapping weapons to take account of freeze/burn/whatever buff you might have and/or cooldowns.

This is more like a variant of Nero's combat but with cooldown powers, and instead of a gun you have a dog. People should look at precision sic and precision ravage and get used to using them. They give a ton more control over enemy reactions, at least the enemies that actually have reactions anyway

It's more like DMC than I expected it would be tbh, even if it's not super deep or anything. I am hoping the other eikon cooldowns have interesting properties to them though, as well as the other eikon circle buttons.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Loving the game so far, both combat and story. Map exploration is meh, but not a deal breaker.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a little ludonarrative dissonance with the power level of the characters

How come the dominants of Shiva, Ramuh and Ifrit struggle with a simple fat guy with a cannon in the crystal mine? Isn't he a simple human ?

Not like they use their eikons for the fight, and the simple fat guy is an akashic. A dude massively juiced up on the ambient aether.

I also don't think they struggled much? It was just noteworthy because he was stronger than a lot of the rabble.

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking about it, this game combat is almost exactly the same as God of war ragnarok, down to having 3 weapons (eikon in this case) with 2 cool down abilities, a lot of which overlap. God of war has a bit more options but it's basically the same excluding juggles in the air versus juggling on the ground.
Guy who's played two action games dubs second one "god of war clone" ^_^

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
The only free form thing is that charged magic and melee that can be buffered, while gow doesn't have buffering it also has a similar thing with charging frost and fire on triangle allowing you to do a charged knock up, basic attack and ranged attack. You can also use if anywhere in a combo. Pretty similar to me

The charged attacks have completely different utility. GoW is completely offensive focused. XVI's blade charge attack is good for single hit damage (best for small windows of opportunity), decent forward momentum as a short range gap closer (for adjusting distance for followup attacks or skills), and has decent startup/active frames (depends on ground or air version) to work as a primary parry option.

Charged magic is decent long range damage, has invincibility to act as an evade, and the pushback is enough for it to act as a quick positional adjustment for short range (faster than walking the same distance).

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers after Garuda fight

Naked Clive!!! and he's gifted with nice assets!! We won!!

oprah-challenge.gif

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My only singular complaint with the game so far: The game needs different fighting styles depending on the Eikon you're using. They already have different abilities, why not make Clive swing the sword differently too to allow different combos.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
My only singular complaint with the game so far: The game needs different fighting styles depending on the Eikon you're using. They already have different abilities, why not make Clive swing the sword differently too to allow different combos.
The thought of having to find new timings for magic burst just made me physically recoil lol

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Guy who's played two action games dubs second one "god of war clone" ^_^
I'm not saying it's a clone but to me it's very similar in a way it plays, especially due to how cooldown works.
The charged attacks have completely different utility. GoW is completely offensive focused. XVI's blade charge attack is good for single hit damage (best for small windows of opportunity), decent forward momentum as a short range gap closer (for adjusting distance for followup attacks or skills), and has decent startup/active frames (depends on ground or air version) to work as a primary parry option.

Charged magic is decent long range damage, has invincibility to act as an evade, and the pushback is enough for it to act as a quick positional adjustment for short range (faster than walking the same distance).
Don't agree it's completely offensive focused, gow charged attack hardly does more damage than basic attacks, is more for staggering enemies or launching them into the air, same as charged throw which also throws or tumbles enemies like charged magic in ff. It's nor for parrying but I'm not saying it's the exact same, just very similar.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
i totally understand what ben starr meant when he said that clive's affinity with a dominant is reflected when he uses their power in combat. Now I know why he grunts harder than batman when using ----Titan---- lol

Oct 30, 2017
latest

Damn, absolutely my favourite Final Fantasy character since forever… having enormous crush on him at the moment that I wish he was the main character.

From design to voice acting to the characterisation… everything is FUCKING PERFECT <3

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm after the second Eikon fight now and I still just don't know about this story. The script definitely has a lot of flavor but they're rarely saying much that doesn't just feel like fairy stock dark fantasy tropes. The bit where Benedikta drinks the men's ale and goes "pfah! you drink this piss?" and then killing an underling for failing her, the faceless bandits making a vague but lurid threat… this stuff all feels a touch trite.

I want to love it! It's right up my alley! But it's just not quite there. Combat's pretty fun with the second set of powers though!

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I'm not saying it's a clone but to me it's very similar in a way it plays, especially due to how cooldown works.

Don't agree it's completely offensive focused, gow charged attack hardly does more damage than basic attacks, is more for staggering enemies or launching them into the air, same as charged throw which also throws or tumbles enemies like charged magic in ff. It's nor for parrying but I'm not saying it's the exact same, just very similar.
Staggering and launching are offensive focused though lol

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the first few hours of the game. Combat is fun, story is interesting, set pieces look incredible. Didn't get a chance to play the demo before been a nice surprise

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
latest

Damn, absolutely my favourite Final Fantasy character since forever… having enormous crush on him at the moment that I wish he was the main character.

From design to voice acting to the characterisation… everything is FUCKING PERFECT <3
I watched The Pope's Exorcist earlier tonight and it was so weird hearing Cid voice the sodding demon throughout the film after hearing them in FF this morning.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of Burning Blade, honestly. I LOVE charged magic but burning blade just feels like something that's way too situational for me to ever weave into my attack strings with any degree of consistency.
Charge it during Garuda pull-downs and as an extra finisher after a magic burst string. Also charge it during helmsplitter and during enemy stagger animations tbh

Deleted member 150699

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 17, 2023
I am surprised people find the combat shallow. I cannot tell if it is in the strategic sense, or it not devil may cry. I find the game combat complicated enough that I still do not know how to properly weave the dog into combos and keep up air combos.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I am surprised people find the combat shallow. I cannot tell if it is in the strategic sense, or it not devil may cry. I find the game combat complicated enough that I still do not know how to properly weave the dog into combos and keep up air combos.
People are saying the combat is shallow???? What the fuck LMAO

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm after the second Eikon fight now and I still just don't know about this story. The script definitely has a lot of flavor but they're rarely saying much that doesn't just feel like fairy stock dark fantasy tropes. The bit where Benedikta drinks the men's ale and goes "pfah! you drink this piss?" and then killing an underling for failing her, the faceless bandits making a vague but lurid threat… this stuff all feels a touch trite.

I want to love it! It's right up my alley! But it's just not quite there. Combat's pretty fun with the second set of powers though!

This is where I'm at, and I feel the same. The story is really not grabbing me much and I find the setting to be pretty lifeless and derivative of other medievel-style fantasy like GoT or GoT-esque products. I like the combat, even when it does feel really drawn out, but I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed by this game so far.

I'm gonna keep going, but I'm not that impressed by this game tbh.