• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
So I finally got around to building a PC for the first time yesterday, and I really enjoy it so far. Everything's so fast compared to what I was used to (for reference, I was previously using a shitty emachines laptop from the early 2010s as my primary means of PC usage).

I mainly decided on it mostly for video editing/creation purposes with streaming as a consideration as well, but also do plan on actually doing some gaming on it as well. There's a few games I already planned on getting even though I own their console releases like Metal Gear Rising or Sonic Generations because of the performance upgrades, but then I kind of remembered quite a few games from that generation had pretty good PC ports from what I remember hearing. Aside from the above, I also had Dragon's Dogma: DA and Sonic & All Stars Racing in mind as well. Anyone have any other recommendations? Moreover, are there any ports I should flat out avoid? I'm still trying to navigate all this, lol.

Apr 19, 2018
Congrats on the PC! I made a similar type of thread late last year when I got my new rig. Might prove helpful as it did to me:

www.resetera.com

Recommendations for best console-to-PC ports?

As I had brought up in this thread, I'm in the process of upgrading my old, just-functional-enough-for-running-older-AAA-games-at-low-settings-for-sub 30fps-performance PC. I'm going to try my hand at a NZXT Starter Pro build, which consists of an Intel Core i5-9400F 6 Core 2.9, GEForce GTX...

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you've got a capable, modern gaming PC, I think you'll find that just about every multiplat you're interested in will look, run, and play great on PC.

If anything, just google search any 7th gen game you find yourself interested in, to see for yourself whether there are any significant, long-standing issues with their PC versions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Congrats on the PC! I made a similar type of thread late last year when I got my new rig. Might prove helpful as it did to me:

www.resetera.com

Recommendations for best console-to-PC ports?

As I had brought up in this thread, I'm in the process of upgrading my old, just-functional-enough-for-running-older-AAA-games-at-low-settings-for-sub 30fps-performance PC. I'm going to try my hand at a NZXT Starter Pro build, which consists of an Intel Core i5-9400F 6 Core 2.9, GEForce GTX...
Oh, something like this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, just google search any 7th gen game you find yourself interested in, to see for yourself whether there are any significant, long-standing issues with their PC versions.
This basically
Just search it up on PCGaming Wiki and that'll usually list any known issues along with fixes if there are any

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I can't really think of any you should flat out avoid. Most games that generation ported well over to PC. I think with Dragon's Dogma you'll get that framerate boost, which to me is one of the main benefits of PC gaming. The other is increasing the resolution you can render games; it makes them look much cleaner.

I'd personally see if any PC exclusives interest you, or try out Doom 2016 on mouse and keyboard to get a feel for it.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's all about the mods, OP.

Play everything all over again, fresh, with mods. From visuals to gameplay overhauls, to entirely dozens of hours new adventures.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Even games with bad PC ports tend to be superior to their console versions, assuming you have capable hardware and don't mind installing a few community fixes/mods when needed.

There are some exceptions like Dead or Alive 5, where the PC version was based on the PS3 version instead of the PS4 one, but that's very rare.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I'm actually replaying GTA4 right now, and its port is surprisingly smooth on modern machines with some very light tweaking. I'm kind of rediscovering it as I haven't played it since at least 2011 or so, but it's definitely worth revisiting despite some of the dialogue having aged poorly.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
And take time to find awesome PC exclusives too! It's a great ecosystem, so congratulations! Lots of experimentation with settings so don't be shy to set it up in a way you prefer!