• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be rebuilt, as many historical structures have in the past. But there will for sure be many items lost that are irreplaceable. Sad day.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
This must be a bit of the feeling when the Libraries of Alexandria were burned. Just the loss of History/Culture.
I think you can be at a bit more ease. The burning of the Libraries of Alexandria was awful because back then, documentation wasn't as widespread and the library had some world exclusive tomes and knowledge. That was a real loss of history. Notre Dame's history, relics, artifacts etc. have been documented by now well over a couple of decades and the knowledge is stored all across the world. The only loss here is the physical building which is sad on its own, but not a tragedy in the same sense.

It sucks, but it isn't the end for Notre Dames history. I think we will see a restoration program in due time where we will see it rebuilt to the smallest detail.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely terrible, Ive alway wanted to go as a history buff. I would hae probably gone next year or in 2years, and now it seems I will never expreience the cathedral in its totality.
Really sad day for hitsory art and architecture :(

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This is crushing!

We are going to Paris for 8 days in September and we were surely going to visit Notre Dame. Man. Life comes at you fast.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the fire is slowly getting less ferocious

EDIT: Maybe not, just a different angle. Looks like the centre of the building is an absolute inferno :(

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not have water doping helicopters there doping water 24\7? There is water near by... or am I missing something?

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way to fight a fire that is that intense, especially in an older building. You have to let it burn out and just try to keep it from spreading to adjacent buildings.

There will be time later to discuss what sort of profound negligence occurred that allowed the fire to start and then get to this point, but for now, we can only watch helplessly.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only silver lining here is maybe this will stop people from using these "magic" trinkets to justify religious belief. Like imagine how much human progress has been slowed with nonsense like the Shroud of Turin wasting everyone's time.

The cathedral itself holds architectural and historical value, but these "treasures" are a scourge.
Ah fuck off. Like, seriously.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
The point I was trying to make was that time is finite, and if you wanna be somewhere or do something, do it now. I'm not saying we shouldn't care about this. Jesus Christ, relax. People are more upset here than they have been in situations where countless people actually died.

You posted "This feels like a good reminder that everything burns in the end" to go along with your shitty Cersei avatar. LOL at getting indignant at people not taking kindly to your post.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Not being nihilistic. I'm glad no one was hurt, but when it comes to buildings, nothing stands forever. ISIS destroyed thousands of Notre Dames in just the last decade throughout the middle east. I think it's best if people had perspective on things like this. It's all going to burn someday, so if you were meaning to go somewhere one day or see something, have that in mind.

Well that was then, this is happening right now.

I understand the point you're trying to make, and it's why I'm trying to see Angkor Wat and the Taj Mihal as soon as I possibly can. We have no idea when an accident or natural disaster will take away our precious relics of history.

However, this isn't really the best time or place for unempathetic, pragmatic nihilism.

Priceless history is literally in flames, gone forever.

Do you come from a city with significant history in architecture and art? Paris is in a league of its own in that sense. I know if my Texas suburb burned down and everyone were to be safe, nothing more would be lost than some buildings that can be replaced. It already happens with hurricanes. That's the generic blandness of suburban America. But this is PARIS. And Notre Dame burning is like Paris losing an entire leg of its identity.

Now doesn't seem like the best time to remind people to think about how to best savor life's treasures and strategically plan their vacations. Now is a time to mourn!